Imagination Technologies reveals future iPhone GPU candidate

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Imagination Technologies, the graphics chip maker of which Apple is a part owner, announced Friday its new PowerVR SGX545 mobile GPU, which could appear in future handheld devices from Apple.

The new mobile GPU adds full support for OpenGL 3.2 and OpenCL 1.0. The real-world performance is said to deliver 40 million polygons per second at 200MHz. It is capable of producing content on a screen with a high-definition resolution, and giving a high framerate for rendered 3D content.

"Combining our many years of experience in the embedded, mobile and PC-based DirectX graphics worlds, PowerVR SGX 545 takes the possibilities of hand-held graphics to a new level by delivering a full DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.x feature set as well as delivering GPU powered OpenCL heterogeneous parallel processing capabilities for the mobile and embedded markets," said Tony King-Smith, VP of marketing with Imagination.

"This makes PowerVR SGX545 a compelling solution for application processor SoC designers targeting the next generation of netbook and MID mobile products demanding exceptional graphics capabilities."

The full list of features in the new PowerVR SGX545, according to Imagination, include:

DirectX10.1 API support

Enhanced support for DirectX10 Geometry Shaders

DirectX10 Data assembler support (Vertex, primitive and instance ID generation)

Render target resource array support

Full arbitrary non power of two texture support

Full filtering support for F16 texture types

Support for all DirectX10 mandated texture formats

Sampling from unresolved MSAA surfaces

Support for Gamma on output pixels

Order dependent coverage based AA (anti-aliased lines)

Enhanced line rasterisation

The new GPU's support for full profile OpenCL 1.0 also adds a number of advanced features, including:

Support of round-to-nearest for floating-point math

Full 32-bit integer support (includes add, multiply and divide)

64-bit integer emulation

3D texture support

Support for the maximum 2D and 3D image sizes specified in the full profile.

Released last June, the iPhone 3GS includes a PowerVR SGX GPU core believed to be the SGX535 model. It gave the handset OpenGL ES 2.0 support, allowing more advanced 3D rendering. The SGX536 can producde 28 million polygons per second.

In 2008, AppleInsider reported that Apple purchased a 3 percent stake in Imagination Technologies Group, maker of the PowerVR mobile graphics hardware. Last June, the Mac maker bumped its stake to 9.5 percent. Apple is also a licensee of the company's technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    If the rumored Apple tablet device runs on some form of the iPhone OS, is this new chip a candidate to power the alleged tablet?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    That's exciting.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    How about a tiny amount of restraint on the headlines instead of fabricating stories out of whole cloth. Try "possible successor" instead of "successor" until you have proof.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I am going to assume these chips are going to be included in the soon to be released apple mobile tablet device.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about a tiny amount of restraint on the headlines instead of fabricating stories out of whole cloth. Try "possible successor" instead of "successor" until you have proof.

Yeah, quite a few of the recent headlines have been far too definitive for just a new product announcement. Lets not lose our head here now.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    40M polygons. The 3GS has more than the DS, but still lower than the PSP, which I think has 33M polygons. If Apple has focused on gaming APIs for v4.0 SDK then Apple could be a true competitor. They need to have a way for developers to write on-screen game controls that can easily be switched to a physically attached D-pad when one is plugged in.

Quote:

I?d even go with likely successor.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, let's see: Apple has invested a stake in Imagination, has used their mobile graphic chips in the iPhone to date, including the last update. Is it really that much of a stretch to assume that they'll make use of this one next time they decide to update the iPhone's graphics hardware?

I realize nothing is 100% for sure, but I think 99% is good enough for a tech site headline.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If the rumored Apple tablet device runs on some form of the iPhone OS, is this new chip a candidate to power the alleged tablet?

Possibly, the generation II of the thing. The core of GPU is actually finished and is ready for licensing. The only real chip is just showing up for testing.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

How about probable successor? This GPU has been announced early enough that there is plenty of time for it to be in the next iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

How about probable successor? This GPU has been announced early enough that there is plenty of time for it to be in the next iPhone.

And even if it isn't, are there any other plausible candidates for the iteration after that? The headline doesn't say "in the next iPhone", it just says that this chip is the successor to the chip that is in the iPhone now, which, strictly speaking, simply identifies the chip.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Well, it was announced now, doesn't mean Apple didn't have notice of long ago... they do own almost 10% of the company.

I'm sure this will end up in Apple's ARM-based SoC, which should appear in both the Iphone and the tablet (if it even exists).
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well, it was announced now, doesn't mean Apple didn't have notice of long ago... they do own almost 10% of the company.

I'm sure this will end up in Apple's ARM-based SoC, which should appear in both the Iphone and the tablet (if it even exists).

I thought Apple owned only 3% of the company. Are they also represented on the board of directors? If not, they may not be privy to planned product releases.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    "Candidate" is much better. I love it when you guys listen.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, let's see: Apple has invested a stake in Imagination, has used their mobile graphic chips in the iPhone to date, including the last update. Is it really that much of a stretch to assume that they'll make use of this one next time they decide to update the iPhone's graphics hardware?

I realize nothing is 100% for sure, but I think 99% is good enough for a tech site headline.

Change the headline to "likely successor." Not a big deal.

(Update: Headline changed. Nice work guys.)
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Change the headline to "likely successor." Not a big deal.

Heh. Well played.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Now you just need to update the headline in the forum and the top of the browser window...
  • Reply 17 of 42
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

the iPhone 3GS includes a PowerVR SGX GPU core believed to be the SGX535

"...believed..."?

In the amount of time the 3GS has been out, you mean to tell me that no one can confirm that it's an SGX535?

I know Apple is secretive, but they're now able to put a Distortion Field around their hardware. Amazing!
  • Reply 18 of 42
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    That extensive DirectX Support will come in handy

not.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    It seems that Nvidia is not about to let Imagination run away with this market. It sounds like the Tegra 2 platform could be a competitor in this space, and they also have a long standing relationship with Apple. Any views on Tegra 2 versus what Imagination has to offer?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

I thought the word "candidate" took care of that, or was that word added to the edited title?