Apple to build new 'prototype' retail store in Palo Alto, Calif.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's at the intersection of Florence and University and it currently has a trendy looking store.

LOL, you haven't been to downtown Palo Alto for about a year?

Z Gallerie closed about 9-10 months ago.

Google Street View imagery for downtown Palo Alto is pretty old.

• Reply 22 of 36
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple could be considering a new design for its future retail stores, as the Mac maker reportedly plans to build a new "prototype" store in Palo Alto, Calif.

The store is a commons for the applicant's community to gather."

...a building entirely transparent at ground level with trees growing inside. Skylights above would allow natural lighting in the store, and also allow the trees to grow.

"(The glass storefront) dissolves the boundary that traditional store facades create," the memo reads. "By not breaking the horizontal ground plane of the sidewalk with opaque wall or landscape element, for example, the street is made part of the store's interior; the pedestrian is in the store before entering it."

Bicycle and newspaper racks and a trash bin in front of the store will also be relocated to help create a clean, simple aesthetic.

And the Apple store will be called "Pandora" and no one has to worry about iMac, iPod, iPhone, iSlate or anything "i" as they will all be called "Avatars" used exclusively by the "Na'vi"! - oh brother!

Quote:

The closing of the existing Palo Alto store would be significant, as it is a landmark retail outfit for Apple. First opened in October 2001, it was the first street-level Apple Store, according to ifoAppleStore. It was also the ninth retail outfit the Cupertino, Calif., company built.

Poor Microsoft... just as they open their stores with the familiar aesthetic of Apple-esque, Apple does a cruel thing and goes 'environmental whacko' on their tails courtesy of the brainwashing of Algore!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Apple needs to WAIT!!! Don't open the concept store yet!!!!

Wait until MSFT has opened all their Apple Store clones and THEN unveil your new look. Then MSFT will look stupid and outdated instantly!!!
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Now waiting for Microsoft's announcement that it will also have trees in its stores, but theirs will have SWINGING MONKEYS.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    citycity Posts: 522member
    With the relationship to the sidewalk, I am thinking that it might look like the Prada store in Beverly Hills.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Are city officials supposed to leak stuff to the press in such matters?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Sounds like people who live in glass Apple Stores shouldn't throw stones.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:

It's at the intersection of Florence and University and it currently has a trendy looking store.

Of course the problem is lack of parking in the area, there is a Longs Drug next door that will compete heavily for traffic with the new Apple Store.

There is some parking in the back, but requires walking around the entire block to get to the front of the store, unless they make a back entrance, which I doubt because it's a service entrance.

As a resident of Palo Alto, I have often parked in the back of Longs and just walked into the back entrance & through the store to University Ave. When done, I would just turn left to go next door to the new temp location of the Apple Store. I think this is a win for Longs as I have often picked up something I needed on my way back to my car. I rarely walked around the block which is really not that big anyway...consider how big blocks are in other cities like NYC=much bigger.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brian g View Post

I was at the Scottsdale store last week and saw an interesting trend. Of all the computers open and being demoed by customers, 80-90% were being used for games while the remainder were used for some other type of software. This is based on around 20 customers in the store using computers. There were around 35 customers total and the rest were using the "surface" computers for some game, a few were talking to sales people or gurus, and all the XBoxes were being used.

brian g

on my way to get a new imac at the mission viejo store i stopped by the microsoft store. basically, its where the kids hang out while their parents go shopping.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

As a resident of Palo Alto, I have often parked in the back of Longs and just walked into the back entrance & through the store to University Ave. When done, I would just turn left to go next door to the new temp location of the Apple Store. I think this is a win for Longs as I have often picked up something I needed on my way back to my car. I rarely walked around the block which is really not that big anyway...consider how big blocks are in other cities like NYC=much bigger.

Well then, while your waiting in Longs for Steve to pass through, ask him what's up in reducing the reflections on the glossy displays.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

on my way to get a new imac at the mission viejo store i stopped by the microsoft store. basically, its where the kids hang out while their parents go shopping.

did you whip out your MBP have some fun ??
  • Reply 32 of 36
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Well then, while your waiting in Longs for Steve to pass through, ask him what's up in reducing the reflections on the glossy displays.

Howdy MacTripper > --- If only I had the power when making my purchase at Longs to ask strongly enough for SJ to have an option for matte displays with the new 27" iMac and Cinema displays, especially!

But if he can't abide by my law then I will have to go here for a matte monitor that I can calibrate when I get the Mac Pro that's coming out in 2010. http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...dge/index.html

Thank you, thank you very much....
  • Reply 33 of 36
    But apple doesn't do prototypes
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are city officials supposed to leak stuff to the press in such matters?

At least in Palo Alto, downtown commercial buildings get a fair amount of scrutiny in the architectural review process. A certain faction of Palo Altans like to meddle, oops, I mean contribute to the review process.

Remember, the architect did not disclose their client, but just based on the details of the application, it isn't difficult to surmise which company was behind this. It's an educated guess, not someone violating confidentiality.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Now waiting for Microsoft's announcement that it will also have trees in its stores, but theirs will have SWINGING MONKEYS.

Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates ... !?

• Reply 36 of 36
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Well I hope some historical commission is hard at work to prevent any renovations at the OLD apple store!