iTunes thinks I am on a windows machine...cannot create account...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have 10.4.11 installed on a G4 PowerBook 1GHz 512MB SDRAM.

I have iTunes 9.0.2 installed. I also use firefox and safari for web surfing.

Wehn I try to create an iTunes account on this computer, it tells says that "You're request could not be completed". I then hit the "more info" button in iTunes and it opens up a page to my default web browser (firefox) and I get the following message from an Apple support site. It goes like this:

"iTunes for Windows XP and Windows 2000: Unable to create a new Apple Account or view account information"

I am overly perplexed by this support page coming up when I know I am sitting in front of a PowerBook G4 computer with OS 10.4.11.

Anyone know what I should do?

I reall want to create an account soon.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

I have 10.4.11 installed on a G4 PowerBook 1GHz 512MB SDRAM.

I have iTunes 9.0.2 installed. I also use firefox and safari for web surfing.

Wehn I try to create an iTunes account on this computer, it tells says that "You're request could not be completed". I then hit the "more info" button in iTunes and it opens up a page to my default web browser (firefox) and I get the following message from an Apple support site. It goes like this:

"iTunes for Windows XP and Windows 2000: Unable to create a new Apple Account or view account information"

I am overly perplexed by this support page coming up when I know I am sitting in front of a PowerBook G4 computer with OS 10.4.11.

Anyone know what I should do?

I reall want to create an account soon.

Any help would be great.

Wow, Tiger! (10.4) and I thought I was being the slow adopter sticking with Leopard (10.5) when nearly everyone else is on Snow Leopard (10.6).

My advice is to first backup any content you have in iTunes to cd/dvd. Write down any passwords, key codes etc before proceeding.

Then visit the Apple Support forums and post your question like "Can't set account" in iTunes, state your info just like you did here.

What I suspect is Apple has left support for Tiger and moved on with iTunes.

Reason being there is new features, coverflow, new copy protection and other tweaks to work with devices and such that they most likely couldn't support a older version of the OS like yours.

Your machine is rather old, a G4 with 512MB. A PPC processor which Apple is close to forsaken all support for now that they moved to Intel processors. You might just need more RAM.

You might need to set Safari as your default browser and see if that works or turn off your Firefox add-on's that might not be sending correct browser or other data.