imac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Today my imac done something wierd. When powering on it got to the blue screen before the password login and it just froze on the blue screen. I done a hard restart and rebooted a few times. Didn't do it any more after that.

Should I be worried? It's only a few months old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Try to boot up from your OSX install disk, then run Disk Utilities tests from it.

If it won't start up from your install disk either there's a good chance your harddisk crashed (the data from the HD and the CD/DVD drive both go through the same I/O port on the motherboard; when the HD is dead it blocks that I/O port whence data from the CD/DVD drive cannot reach the CPU anymore, hence the startup sequence cannot run). You will need Apple Tech Support then.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It's been fine since. I have switched it on and off maybe 3 or 4 times yesterday after and im using it now, was fine again. So should I just keep an eye out to see if it happens again?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

It's been fine since. I have switched it on and off maybe 3 or 4 times yesterday after and im using it now, was fine again. So should I just keep an eye out to see if it happens again?

I've had machines do that from time to time. Have no idea why, but it seems to be a transient thing that doesn't repeat and doesn't portend doom. I get the impression that there is some rare combination of circumstances that causes the boot sequence to hang, but trying again clears it up.

I've also just waited it out and had it finish on its own, but only after sitting on the blue screen for what seemed like hours.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Good to know it has happened to others. Worst comes to worst if it continues to happen I will call Apple. It's still under warranty and I have Apple care. It's just a hassle though.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Cheers