Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    ...but I hope that iLife is also included on any tablet. iMovie, iPhoto and Garage Band would be perfect for use on a tablet, and would be a much better sales argument for the masses than a word processor or a spreadsheet, in my opinion.
  • Reply 22 of 172
    tsad23tsad23 Posts: 46member
    all of the ilife apps and iwork will be available for a small fee at the app store.
  • Reply 23 of 172
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Yes, iLife should be part of the equation too. Yet that leads to questions about how you transfer photos and movies to the device.
  • Reply 24 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Yes, iLife should be part of the equation too. Yet that leads to questions about how you transfer photos and movies to the device.

Lala.
  • Reply 25 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

all of the ilife apps and iwork will be available for a small fee at the app store.

That is a possibility but I?d lean toward it being included to help sweeten the deal of the tablet. After all, Apple only writes SW to sell more HW. Does Apple offer any software on the App Store that cost money?

Quote:

I?d wager that iTunes syncing will be the primary method.
  • Reply 26 of 172
    transferring of photos, movies and music would be the same as with the iphone and ipod touch. Sync with itunes
  • Reply 27 of 172
    Apple will charge for software after the release of the tablet. I feel if everything is included, the price of the device will push into macbook territory. I feel that apple would like to keep the price of the device around the $699 - $799 range.
  • Reply 28 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

...finding a way to make a 10" device ergonomic seem like quite a challenge. Putting it flat on a desk contorts your neck, holding it at the base places added strain on wrists since the center of gravity is higher...

I've been thinking the same thing. But something to consider though... a tablet sitting on a desk is exactly the same as a sheet of paper sitting on a desk. I wonder if the separation of monitor and input device since the computers inception has created the false impression that hands on desk while looking forward is the natural way to work. In fact, the computer is the FIRST method of writing which dictated this separation of where to look and where your hands are. From stone tablets to pen and paper, to the typewriter; looking down in front of you has been the way most people write. It's not unnatural, it's just not the way computers have been.

Perhaps Apple is thinking that if you're holding the device [with either one or both hands], chances are you are ingesting information, and doing very little inputing. And if you have work to do, be it writing, drawing, etc.- you'll be putting the device down to work with both hands. I think the analogy to a piece of paper holds pretty well. You can hold it in your hand to read it, but you're going to put it down to write on it.

Dictation apps could be used to fill in a bit of the gap between the two, but as it is I think this is a fair assumption.
  • Reply 29 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

These "complex multi-touch gestures" fits with the supposed steep learning curve rumor. Interesting...

I know Apple loves multi-touch, but it sounds like (three fingers and rotate instead of tapping) SJ is going a little crazy with it.

It sounds like Jobs set some engineers up, and now he knows who is leaking information. Three fingers and rotate? How about sit on it and rotate?
  • Reply 30 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

transferring of photos, movies and music would be the same as with the iphone and ipod touch. Sync with itunes

Add documents folder to the mix.
  • Reply 31 of 172
    Ooooh! Ahhhh!! Nevermind, this sounds stupid.
  • Reply 32 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    A tablet-based version of iWork is what I've been anticipating all along, not to mention, hoping for. I think we should be expecting it to be linked with the desktop via iWork.com, though this of course only works for Mac users currently, so we should expect another shoe to drop. A version of iWork for Windows? Not at all unthinkable. Logical, really.
  • Reply 33 of 172
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    I have a feeling that Apple is going to drop an absolute bomb with that tablet. I mean, if half of those rumors are true. This may be a giant leap if they indeed know a way to rethink the way we interact with computers.

There were so many tries - 3D interfaces, 3D gestures, but nobody had the capacity to think the basics through. And they HAVE to push something really stunning (not a jumbo iPod touch or a tablet MacOS X computer) to make any profit.
  • Reply 34 of 172
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

These "complex multi-touch gestures" fits with the supposed steep learning curve rumor. Interesting...

I know Apple loves multi-touch, but it sounds like (three fingers and rotate instead of tapping) SJ is going a little crazy with it.

First of all. we really have no idea what kind of touch actions will be in this thing. It's all hearsay.

Second: Remember, this thing has to be carried around (I'm not talking about being transported). Walked over to your colleague desk; held up, so 5 doctors can look at it at once(and then rotated sideways and handed to the guy standing next to you.

Hands will be all over this thing. How do you prevent all kinds of inadvertent actions from launching?
  • Reply 35 of 172
    In the same vein that webpages were redesigned to function more ideally on the iPhone will there be a shift to make webpages function more ideally when it recognizes the tablet?

How about web-based MobileMe access from the tablet? iWork.com access works from the iPhone but the interface may need some tweaking for a 10? tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A tablet-based version of iWork is what I've been anticipating all along, not to mention, hoping for. I think we should be expecting it to be linked with the desktop via iWork.com, though this of course only works for Mac users currently, so we should expect another shoe to drop. A version of iWork for Windows? Not at all unthinkable. Logical, really.

Hmm, I think I?ll need some convincing to see iWork for Windows being viable. Apple makes SW to sell HW and I see making iWork for Windows would just push people to use Windows more if it was successful. They?d likely have to up the price and I just don?t think the user base would increase much with so many other version of Windows out there and many of the great aspects of iWork couldn?t transfer to Windows.

Safari for Windows is the only app that might be questionable but that came out right before the iPhone launched and there might have been aspects that needed leveraging to make the iPhone work better syncing with Windows or perhaps they just wanted web developers on Windows to have a platform for making iPhone-capable apps. Now, the iTunes Store uses WebKit so having that engine is still required regardless if you install Safari for Windows, or not.
  • Reply 36 of 172
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    So I'm on the go, and I have my MacTablet and my camera with me.

How do I send my editor this awesome photo I've just taken?
  • Reply 37 of 172
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If they get a good web version going, I don't see Apple wanting to port iWork to Windows. (Of course, that pre-supposes they've got a "good web version" cooking)
  • Reply 38 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Hands will be all over this thing. How do you prevent all kinds of inadvertent actions from launching?

Like with the iPhone and Touch, you make it more intelligent when figuring out input methods. There may also be some learning involved so people don?t directly touch the display unless they want to access something but I haven?t had much of a problem with that on the iPhone to date.

Or they could add a bio reader that only allows the user to integrate with device. Or perhaps use a fiber-optic LightPeak sex organ that the Na?Vi in Avatar use to connect connect with the flora and fauna. It could happen.
  • Reply 39 of 172
    Is it the 27th yet? The suspense is killing me!

Is there any chance they won't introduce a tablet/slate computer? It's been talked about so much....with all the speculation based on parts Apple's ordered etc... it would be a tremendous let down if they came out and had nothing like what's been bandied about....
  • Reply 40 of 172
    Quote:

So I'm on the go, and I have my MacTablet and my camera with me.

How do I send my editor this awesome photo I've just taken?

1. Put camera?s MicroSD card into the tablet?s MicroSD card slot? (They added them to Macs recently, maybe they?ll add it to a tablet)

2. Use a simple adapter to connect to tablet?s iPod Dock Connector or BT, if your camera has it?

3. Wait until you get to a PC because Apple didn?t design the tablet to replace PCs, but to be an acccessory device?