Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like with the iPhone and Touch, you make it more intelligent when figuring out input methods. There may also be some learning involved so people don?t directly touch the display unless they want to access something but I haven?t had much of a problem with that on the iPhone to date.

Or they could add a bio reader that only allows the user to integrate with device. Or perhaps use a fiber-optic LightPeak sex organ that the Na?Vi in Avatar use to connect connect with the flora and fauna. It could happen.

I'm using an app on the iphone called runkeeper - for joggers. It allows you to press a tiny button on the screen that locks the entire screen.... so that you don't disengage the program or otherwise disturb it while you are jogging/exercising.

They could use something like that - you'd need to pro-actively lock the screen.
  • Reply 42 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Hmm, I think I’ll need some convincing to see iWork for Windows being viable. Apple makes SW to sell HW and I see making iWork for Windows would just push people to use Windows more if it was successful. They’d likely have to up the price and I just don’t think the user base would increase much with so many other version of Windows out there and many of the great aspects of iWork couldn’t transfer to Windows.

Safari for Windows is the only app that might be questionable but that came out right before the iPhone launched and there might have been aspects that needed leveraging to make the iPhone work better syncing with Windows or perhaps they just wanted web developers on Windows to have a platform for making iPhone-capable apps. Now, the iTunes Store uses WebKit so having that engine is still required regardless if you install Safari for Windows, or not.

I think you answered your own question! The purpose of a Windows version of iWork would be to complement a tablet-based version of iWork -- otherwise, that feature of the tablet for Windows owners is potentially useless, or at least, far less compelling. This situation is probably more similar to Apple developing iTunes for Windows than Safari for Windows. If Apple does indeed release a tablet-based version of iWork, then the next piece seems logical.

Here is an another reason why Apple would do this. I think they've been building up to it for some time. Consider, Apple's overall strategy for the last ten years or so has been to outflank Microsoft at every opportunity. If they offered a tablet with a compelling productivity suite which is better designed for this type of use than Office will ever be, and they connect it to the desktop, then consumers have a good reason use it instead of Office. This a very different strategy than simply releasing iWork for Windows and hoping people buy it instead of Office. It's the old end run play, the one Apple's been running successfully for quite awhile now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

If they get a good web version going, I don't see Apple wanting to port iWork to Windows. (Of course, that pre-supposes they've got a "good web version" cooking)

Another possible scenario, yes!
  • Reply 43 of 172
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If this is true then it is a Mac OSX variant and not based on the iPhone APIs. Mac desktop and laptops could see a benefit in this new functionality if it is rolled-up into the core Snow Leopard offering. Touch-based iMacs could be in Apple's future line-up or more gestures for the glidepad and magic mouse.
  • Reply 44 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If this is true then it is a Mac OSX variant and not based on the iPhone APIs.

Could be but not necessarily.
  • Reply 45 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

You're thinking with a point-and-click mindset. Multi-gesture is a new interaction model.

So the people Apple said were too confused by a a second mouse button are now expected to memorize dozens of complicated finger gestures?
  • Reply 46 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

Could be but not necessarily.

Not necessarily, yes, but why would someone prefer iPhone OS over Mac OS on a 10" tablet?

To counter your signature, putting iPhone OS on a 10" tablet is like building a skyscraper just to run a candy shop.

A terrible waste of hardware.
  • Reply 47 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

A new interaction model doesn't require a more elaborate, wrist cramping gesture when there is a simple, intuitive gesture already available. Pointing at something I want didn't start with computers and mice.

I think there will be a combination of interaction methods, and different levels as there are now on MacBooks and the TrackPad (you can turn on and off various options and gestures as they suit you).

I'm also sure that Apple will do the GUI pretty well.

-----

The iPhone can do basic video editing (especially with ReelDirector), so the tablet will certainly ship with some kind of video app.

iWork will need some kind of video out...
  • Reply 48 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not necessarily, yes, but why would someone prefer iPhone OS over Mac OS on a 10" tablet?

To counter your signature, putting iPhone OS on a 10" tablet is like building a skyscraper just to run a candy shop.

A terrible waste of hardware.

Why is there this idea that Apple is simply going to take an already existing OS without any alterations for the completely different device. They tailored the AppleTV OS and iPhone OS UI and APIs for their respective devices so why should we expect anything less for an Apple tablet?
  • Reply 49 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I think you answered your own question!

[?]

This a very different strategy than simply releasing iWork for Windows and hoping people buy it instead of Office. It's the old end run play, the one Apple's been running successfully for quite awhile now.

Everything you wrote sounds like reasons for not making a iWork for Windows. Web access or get a Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The iPhone can do basic video editing (especially with ReelDirector), so the tablet will certainly ship with some kind of video app.

iWork will need some kind of video out...

QuickTime X is already pretty well setup for a touch-based system.
  • Reply 50 of 172
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Is it the 27th yet? The suspense is killing me!

Is there any chance they won't introduce a tablet/slate computer? It's been talked about so much....with all the speculation based on parts Apple's ordered etc... it would be a tremendous let down if they came out and had nothing like what's been bandied about....

Of course there's a chance that they won't introduce a tablet. However, the odds favor a major product launch because Apple would not rent the Yerba Buena Gardens venue for relatively lackluster announcements like MacBook Pro CPU updates or new CinemaDisplays.

My guess is a three-pronged announcement: 1.) new media service (possibly an entire rebranding of the iTunes Store), 2.) new developer tools preview, 3.) a new device.

I would not take any individual tablet rumor at face value. However, the aggregate trickle of ongoing tablet rumors indicates a strong possibility for a future release, particularly with supply-chain rumors starting to surface.

Trust me, many readers here will be completely disappointed with whatever Apple releases because a lot of commenters here have insanely outlandish expectations (many of them consisting of incredibly obtuse understandings of consumer electronics design and manufacturing, plus an avalanche of completely esoteric features that have zero value to the mass market).
  • Reply 51 of 172
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

So the people Apple said were too confused by a a second mouse button are now expected to memorize dozens of complicated finger gestures?

The only people Apple has ever "said were too confused by a second mouse button" are the novice users. All Mac mice have two buttons and have had for years. You just have to enable them as they are turned off by default.

Apple's position is that any computer should be easily navigable by complete novice's, (thus only a single click is enabled by default), but also have the capability for more complex interaction. The more complex interaction has to be easily "discoverable" in their view also.

They are basically doing the same thing with the introduction of the new multi-touch platform. They purposely hold back on introducing complex gestures (the way the Fingerworks people didn't), because they know that only a small group of people will run with it, whereas the majority will be scared or put off. The reasoning behind the way they are introducing multi-touch technology is to get the average person used to it first before introducing the harder/weirder stuff. Through the iPhone, most of the world has been introduced to the basic idea of multi-touch and a few universal gestures.

But the tablet could be the first true multi-touch device in the sense that it might have a real gesture vocabulary of sorts.
  • Reply 52 of 172
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

So I'm on the go, and I have my MacTablet and my camera with me.

How do I send my editor this awesome photo I've just taken?

My guess is that the tablet would have one or two USB ports, a Mini DisplayPort, and a bi-directional audio port (input/headphones-mic) in addition to the iPod dock connector.

Maybe there's a built-in SD reader, but if not, you can just plug in a cheapo card reader into one of the USB slots. I have one that reads about 9-10 formats and it's the size of a current iPod shuffle.

Remember, the tablet is rumored to have a 10" screen. It's big enough for multiple accessory ports.
  • Reply 53 of 172
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is a three-pronged announcement: 1.) new media service (possibly an entire rebranding of the iTunes Store), 2.) new developer tools preview, 3.) a new device.

4.) new relationships with U.S. telecom companies.
  • Reply 54 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that the tablet would have one or two USB ports, a Mini DisplayPort, and a bi-directional audio port (input/headphones-mic) in addition to the iPod dock connector.

Maybe there's a built-in SD reader, but if not, you can just plug in a cheapo card reader into one of the USB slots. I have one that reads about 9-10 formats and it's the size of a current iPod shuffle.

Remember, the tablet is rumored to have a 10" screen. It's big enough for multiple accessory ports.

Yeah, but Apple doesn't really 'do' multiple accessory ports. If we're lucky, it'll have a flip-down door like the Macbook Air with a USB and mini Displayport, and maybe an SD slot if The Steve is feeling really generous.
  • Reply 55 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yeah, but Apple doesn't really 'do' multiple accessory ports. If we're lucky, it'll have a flip-down door like the Macbook Air with a USB and mini Displayport, and maybe an SD slot if The Steve is feeling really generous.

I don?t think we?ll see a trap door on this device. If this tablet is meant to handheld you don?t want any pressure activated door coming open. It will break off and Apple will be replacing it under warranty. I think we?ll get some limited ports. Headphones and 30-pin dock connector could be the minimum. Charging, video out is through the 30-pin connector.
  • Reply 56 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katie Marsal View Post

suggest the company may require that users adapt to a "somewhat complex new vocabulary of finger gestures to control it, making use of technology it acquired in the 2007 purchase of a company called FingerWorks."

If Apple does this - I can only hope they make the gestures open-source. Or simply licensed or something.

Nothing could be worse than every tablet having entirely different gestures. Much as I want a standard keyboard on any PC I buy, not a different Dell/Compaq/Apple version.

Quote:

None of the iWork app would work great as they are. Keynote works the best, which you can see for yourself, but remember that on a small display everything else will be cramped.

That probably illustrates why making regular OSX apps available on the tablet will cause far more problems than it would solve. Apps NEED to be rewritten for a tablet interface.

That said - I'd like to see Apple release iWork for tablet AND a new iWork for Mac at the same time - bringing the 2 versions in line where it's sensible. Same with iLife.

Quote:

I?m not sure if iMovie will make it to that tablet, but as it likely won?t have the power needed to be useful, but the UI is pretty damn good for being completely touch-based. Check it out! I bring this up because I think rolling menus will be how Apple tackles the problem of making an viewer app into a good editing app on a touchscreen.

If iMovie created a low res version of a film, it would be very capable of skimming it even on low powered hardware. As for the power to create low res versions or export final products - that's going to rely on some big GPU usage... I wonder if OpenCL (and the tablet) can handle it.

We're due for iLife '10 about now (that's good for my parents new i7 since iLife '09 seems to really not use more than 2 processors). Even if iMovie '09 has good touch interface potential already, I hope they keep iMovie 10 distinctly different to any touch version. Otherwise each will have limitations... and even if it was possible it'd be a bad example to send developers.

(... don't ask me whether that holds if they bring out touch iMacs at some point!)
  • Reply 57 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Is it the 27th yet? The suspense is killing me!

Is there any chance they won't introduce a tablet/slate computer? It's been talked about so much....with all the speculation based on parts Apple's ordered etc... it would be a tremendous let down if they came out and had nothing like what's been bandied about....

It's unlike they don't, if only because everyone else released their version at CES in order to beat Apple to the punch. The only other likely scenario would be a new iPhone, but then what's up with all the 10" screens and related stuff?
  • Reply 58 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

These "complex multi-touch gestures" fits with the supposed steep learning curve rumor.

As long as it's not a much harder "shallow learning curve". I want to learn the gestures quickly, which is what a steep learning curve means....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

iLife should be part of the equation too. Yet that leads to questions about how you transfer photos and movies to the device.

SD card could be there. I do hope for a direct connection (without computer) for this kind of thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

transferring of photos, movies and music would be the same as with the iphone and ipod touch. Sync with itunes

Seems odd to force full movie projects to sync via iTunes, but it's possible.

I'd like to see an entirely new synchronisation model - where a desktop and laptop can sync together, a tablet and laptop, a tablet and desktop, a tablet to iPhone, mobileme to whatever. etc

I just want my documents, music, photos, movies, calendars, contacts, apps - on any device I own. Of course, only subsets of movies/music etc on the smaller devices, but syncing changes back up to the master copy when ready. (and if the master copy dies... a facility to rebuild it from all my syncs if necessary?)

edit: Is it necessary to have a "master" copy of your data at all? Is it possible to just have "my data" spread over 5 devices (and mobileme) with different versions and some copies having everything?
  • Reply 59 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

It's unlike they don't, if only because everyone else released their version at CES in order to beat Apple to the punch. The only other likely scenario would be a new iPhone, but then what's up with all the 10" screens and related stuff?

It?s unlikely for Apple to release a new iPhone at the end of the month if they plan to run it on v4.0 and devs need to get their apps ready for the new HW. That the most I think we can expect: v4.0 demo, new SDK, info about new carriers.
  • Reply 60 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Seems odd to force full movie projects to sync via iTunes, but it's possible.

I'd like to see an entirely new synchronisation model - where a desktop and laptop can sync together, a tablet and laptop, a tablet and desktop, a tablet to iPhone, mobileme to whatever. etc

I think that it will sync through iTunes but may likely have a Finder-like access with home networks so that you can move files. You can already add music, movies, TV shows and apps to the device and have them transfer to iTunes later so it wouldn?t be tough for Apple to give you an option to add them to the tablet?s iTunes player from the tablet?s Finder app.

Quote:

I just want my documents, music, photos, movies, calendars, contacts, apps - on any device I own. Of course, only subsets of movies/music etc on the smaller devices, but syncing changes back up to the master copy when ready. (and if the master copy dies... a facility to rebuild it from all my syncs if necessary?)

I have way too many GB in my home folder to make that feasible. I?d wager that most people are in the same boat.