Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 81 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

The lack of multi touch can be an advantage to usability. Try to zoom out on the Maps app on the iPhone with one finger (read: one hand!). It is not possible.

if I’m ever down to one finger I’ll keep that mind.
  • Reply 82 of 234
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    while Dan did title his article as a "vs." piece, perhaps unwisely, the really big question it discusses at length is the future of the Android platform - the interplay of the various OEM's and telcos, the fragmentation of the software/hardware, and Google's counter efforts - if any - to weld it all together somehow - in the cloud? not just Android smartphones, but Android tablets too.

IMHO that is a much richer topic than all these iPhone vs. Nexus put-downs, either way. didn't this just get done with the Droid a month ago already? enuff already.

the same future of the iPhone platform question is very much before us now with the imminent announcement of an Apple tablet. how will Apple avoid fragmentation with two iPhone OS formats? we'll see. the surrounding unified ecosystem however is already in place, and likely to expand further this year.
  • Reply 83 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

The lack of multi touch can be an advantage to usability. Try to zoom out on the Maps app on the iPhone with one finger (read: one hand!). It is not possible.

Interesting, I can actually do it very easily with either hand as follows.

Hold the phone with 3 fingers. (Pinky, ring and middle fingers)

Lay your index finger anywhere on the map and use your thumb to zoom in and out.
  • Reply 84 of 234
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Lay your index finger anywhere on the map and use your thumb to zoom in and out.

That is still more than one finger even if you aren?t moving the others.
  • Reply 85 of 234
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

They'll pay for their treachery

Damn. This is very emotional for you, eh?
  • Reply 86 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Then why don't you answer his questions instead of making amartass comments?

Here, in case you missed it in your rush to post insults: Is the Motorola Droid supposed to be "the" Droid phone or is the Droid Eris also a "Droid phone?" Enlighten us with your wisdom.

<Pssstttt: It doesn't matter. You and everybody else who cares about these things knows exactly which products are available.>
  • Reply 87 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I'm not much interested in the Nexus One if it doesn't sync with my Mac and iTunes.

Good for you! I'm not much interested in any TV network if it doesn't come through the rabbit ears.
  • Reply 88 of 234
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

You nailed it. Apple's core strength. UI is Apple. Simple. Elegant. Responsive. Human. Better. Whole widget kind of better.

Apple can think different.

Google can only copy M$'s old dogma.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Reading this article, all I kept thinking was, wow this is a real pep rally for the iphone crowd. I love my ipod touch, I love the games, they're great and the UI is very polished. What's overlooked completely here are the most negative aspects of the iphone ecosystem, the parts that prevent many people from entering it.

Multitasking is smoothed over in the matrix to contain some yes's everywhere so as to give the illusion that they're all about the same. Nice try. Lack of third party app multitasking diminishes the experience and costs users money. From location sharing to limited instant messaging, iphone users are forced into 'the apple way', which doesn't work as well and costs more.

Then there's the fact that apple hand picks the apps for its users, which means no premium Google apps like Google Voice, Latitude, Navigation or always-on Google Talk. With an Android phone, there is no need to pay for SMS. Google Voice (GV) allows for SMS over the data channel. That's the thing you pay $30/mo for. GV does many things besides voicemail transcription, too. It allows you to take incoming calls on any phone you wish; work, home, alternate cell phone, etc. Without the app on the phone, it really doesn't work very well. Apple won't let it happen because it would decrease minutes used and hurt them in the long term with future carrier negotiations.

When indicating a 'No' next to the Droid for voice/data multitasking, you do the reader a great disservice by not mentioning that this is true only when no wifi is present. In fact, for those who really want/need to use 3G while on a call where there is no wifi, they can use VOIP/SIP over 3G with Sipdroid. You can even transfer a call without the other person noticing. These are things that will never be allowed in the App Store because it might save you money, meaning it would cost Apple money in the long term with their future carrier negotiations.

Free Google Navigation. How would that be? It will never happen. Apple is making 30% on every Navigon, Tom Tom, and Co-pilot sale and they're not about to let Google crash the party. Do you see the philosophical difference between the two ecosystems? Do you see where their focus is? That's why I have no iphone. Apple is wonderful to shareholders and Google is wonderful to users and shareholders.

Show me an iphone with multitasking, tethering, and premium Google apps on Verizon where I can continue paying $50/mo for unlimited everything and I'll be first in line.
  • Reply 89 of 234
    Quote:

Well it didn't work for me. But maybe you got my point: it's not the end of the world to put at least a zoom out button on it (like the Bing Maps app does on the iPhone for example).
  • Reply 90 of 234
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Ahh, very nice. I had no idea you could do that. It's rather awkward at first, though.
  • Reply 91 of 234
    "The phone is nearly identical to what HTC itself sells under the name Bravo in Europe, apart from the placement of its buttons."

This is a completely false statement. Show me a page that even says anything official about a phone called the "Bravo" let a alone show me page where it's being sold in Europe by any carrier. I see absolutely no reason for you to be making assertions about a "Bravo" phone in this article comparing N1 to iPhone, especially when you so clearly have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the Bravo. The leaked brochure for the Bravo points to an April launch in the U.K. but it's not confirmed and it certainly is not on sale now. It is rumored to have Sense UI, an optical trackpad and 720p video recording - all things that differentiate it from the Nexus One.
  • Reply 92 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I'm not much interested in the Nexus One if it doesn't sync with my Mac and iTunes.

It's silly to lock yourself into the Apple ecosystem because then you're stuck with them, even when they fall from grace and produce a load of rubbish (which will happen; all glory is fleeting). You'd be doing yourself a favour by having your escape route planned, which means not buying completely into Apple's proprietary methods.
  • Reply 93 of 234
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's silly to lock yourself into the Apple ecosystem because then you're stuck with them, even when they fall from grace and produce a load of rubbish (which will happen; all glory is fleeting). You'd be doing yourself a favour by having your escape route planned, which means not buying completely into Apple's proprietary methods.

Let's all move into the underground bunker NOW (read: a hole with a pantry) for the disaster that might never happen years and years from now. Until then, let others use all that great Apple tech. iPhones, iPod Touches, Macs, OS X, and possibly game-changing slates are for suckers. Who needs to be pampered with all that when we have our own hole? Great UIs and attractive, cohesive hardware/software ecosystems are for idiots!
  • Reply 94 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let's all move into the underground bunker NOW (read: a hole with a pantry) for the disaster that might never happen years and years from now. Until then, let others use all that great Apple tech. iPhones, iPod Touches, Macs, OS X, and possibly game-changing slates are for suckers. Who needs to be pampered with all that when we have our own hole? Great UIs and attractive, cohesive hardware/software ecosystems are for idiots!

There are plenty of great alternative products out there that people willingly dismiss because they aren't made by their favourite manufacture. That's just being ignorant and short sighted.
  • Reply 95 of 234
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Hey, let's not beat up Google, I like them. I appreciate Google's contribution to the iPhone. (Google Search, Goole Map, Google Earth etc...) The iPhone is a better device because of Google.

Plus Google is keeping Microsoft honest with the free Android OS that beats Winblows Mobile in usability.

I am looking forward to see what Apple does with the PA Semi, PlaceBase, Lala and Quatro Wireless. I imagine PA Semi and PlaceBase will contribute big time on the iSlate tablet and future iPhones. Imagine a Slate that can be used for days without recharging with unrivaled access to global geographical data, climate, economics, crime etc...

Time will tell.

GOOGLE is not as bad as i make them out to be . i only fret that people will buy goog at 500 a share and 3 yrs from now it will 18 a share i also take issue with there dealings with china

THE COMMIES ARE well known abusers of human rights

and GOOGLE is in bed with them now . If you search in china the govt is watching .THANKS TO GOOGLE .

in closing i will say google is RUN by 3 young brats with a couple of billion the bank and they have placed google in a << out of control train wreck mode >>

. Enjoy the google freebies .MY kids love google earth !!

and yes time will tell
  • Reply 96 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Excellent, but cryptic post that will go right over 99.9% of the viewers.

i am sorry i will try a re write i am very weak at writing. I write as i speak .

thanks any way

peace
  • Reply 97 of 234
    An interesting article about the entire Smartphone market for 2010:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...t-preview.html
  • Reply 98 of 234
    Quote:

I disagree, if this guy thinks some smart kid can knock out Google he is absolutely clueless about Google's products. He sounds like a day trader who lost money shorting.

While many companies are struggling to conquer the earth, Google is aiming for the Universe in their respective fields of business.

Google is not interested in selling phones to ordinary people, that's why they have partners.

Ordinary people really should not be buying Google's phone, it is for developers to use as a model. Developers who either have support contracts with Google or can survive with email support for their development will not have any problem with the phone. Carriers will want to offer Google's phone to sell to developers which could possibly lead to new applications for their network.

Time will tell.

i regret my poor skils at writing

no i do not day trade

i gave an example of the rise and fall of JD uniphase and corning and about a 100 of companies

w/ sky high stock prices <<w/people's like savings in them >>

and in simplified terms a SOFT WARE WRITER WROTE CODE THA MADE DATA COMPRESSTION OVER FIBER OPTIC LINES <<and any other medium > REDUCED FROM HIS STATED 10 TO 1 TO 1000 TO 1 IN THE END ..thats 1000 gigbits reduced to 1 gigbit . GET IT

OF COURSE WE ALSO HAD THE WHOLE internet bubble fever going on at the same time .

Billions of 1990 dollars werte already spent laying uncounted DARK fiber optic lines.

TO bring forth a fiber optic line back then was very high cost .

so you choose ??? continue to lay fiber optic lines and turn on the said afore mentions fiber optic lines to handle data . WHICH in effect meant that billions more cash were to be burnt .

or

Rush to market SW that can compress data at 10 to 1 ratio ?? hmm the SW is 50 ..to .. 60 million per region or spend 16 to 25 more billion dollars .

They ignored the SW hero of this story and they made hundreds of thousands of devices to make the 1 to 1 data ratio fiber optic MODEL complete

that includes computers and other machines working in sub zero temps >>

routers and all that switching stuff made by bell labs and there ilk . to handle the data traffic .

All these companies stocks rose even higher . Stock mavens quoted each other saying that sell now was crazy . I lost 40 thou ,, MANY lost all .

SO google can make phones google they can follow msft and do a 100 things at once poorly

even for free. they will even buy up new tech which could hurt them just like you know who

fine

lovely . i don't care either way

i care that google sleeps with the commies

and i warn that a one horse empire will fall at the hands of some young maverick who fragments the ad world for free or cheap

we now have free internet phone call s

how long before the teleco dinosaurs collapse under there own debt .

look i read the same news you do

i just ad my dreams to the mix

peace
  • Reply 99 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

An interesting article about the entire Smartphone market for 2010:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...t-preview.html

please ad some comments of what you think my friend

happy new year .

peace

• Reply 100 of 234
    While I agree the iPhone may be superior, for separate reasons, I won't buy one. Here are mine, and someone among you many *experts* may pick on me as appropriate.

(1) About a third of the way through the article, I began to feel it was a whining non-objective attempt to justify every little difference between iPhone and every conceivable smartphone in existence. I was tempted not to read on. I look forward to to objective reviews from such places as (IMO) eopinions, cnet, consumerreports, pcmag.

(2) I detest AT&T, of course.

(3) Beyond intelligence, one thing that is *basic* to a smartphone is its ability to function as a *phone*, dang it. I'll use an iPod Touch plus a plain ol' PHONE. Remember note 2 above, and also read this: The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK http://bit.ly/40KIRf

(4) In my case, I prefer a screen-protecting clamshell. In our area, AT&T has proven to have *very* poor coverage, AND very surly, unresponsive coverage with overbilling and inaccurate billing which was near impossible to resolve. We switched to $Verizon$.

(5) For lots of reasons, about which I won't rant, I don't have a great feeling about GOOG, either.

So there.