Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Everything you wrote sounds like reasons for not making a iWork for Windows. Web access or get a Mac.

Care to explain?

Keep in mind, Apple will want to sell these tablets. They didn't create the iPhone or the iPod for the purpose of selling Macs, they created them for the purpose of selling iPhones and iPods. They have sold more Macs as a result because they put Apple products into the hands of more people, but not because either one of them required you to own a Mac.

Web access, quite possibly. But I think a web interface to productivity applications is not widely accepted yet, so if Apple goes that route, it better be far more developed than anything out there currently (including iWork.com in its current state), or it won't sell slates or Macs.
  • Reply 82 of 172
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I hope this tablet allows me to create and store files on it and sync the iPhone/iPod to it.
  • Reply 83 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Why wouldn't this thing just come with iTunes? Most of us would agree that iTunes is in need of a rewrite so why not just start with a touch based version? To me this should be a device that an iPhone can sync to and not a device that has to constantly sync to your Mac.

Based on the word that Apple has asked a number of developers to update their apps to the larger screen on the iSlate, it would appear that iTunes will be an integral part of the new device.

Undoubtedly, all the current iPhone apps could be capable of running on the new iSlate.

Right now, I can sync text and images from my iPhone to my Mac and vice-versa via Pastebot/Pastebot Sync*.

In fact, I have been using Dragon Dictation on my iPhone and sending the voice-to-text files via mail, text messaging and Pastebot/Pastebot Sync.

Both programs are limited now by not being able to run apps in the background, but that should change pretty soon. In addition, Pastebot only syncs via Wi-Fi for now.

Point is, I think that 'syncing' will be an integral feature with the new iSlate and far beyond what we see with the current crop of apps/utilities. That and MobileMe and Apple's billion dollar server 'cloud computing' farm.

Note that Dragon Dictation† (and Dragon Search**) works exceptionally well, (particularly on my TomTom car kit). They are free. Unfortunately, They are only available on the US Store.

*http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...oard-items.ars

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-on-iphone.ars

**http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/17/drago...tore-for-free/
  • Reply 84 of 172
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    The one notion that I am willing to promulgate through my thinking on this device is that Steve Jobs is only interested in changing (or perhaps - revolutionising) the game. If what is announced later this month is not in Steve's mind revolutionary, then Apple will be releasing a new iPhone/iPod/Mac. Most here have probably read John Gruber's take on this;

http://daringfireball.net/2009/12/the_tablet

Steve has confronted his own mortality and is perhaps about to leave with us (not leave us hopefully), the legacy of his considerable insight and knowledge, his take on the future of computing within the context of current hardware and software capabilities. This thread is about the possibility of iWork on the slate. Perhaps though, this is just a beginning. An application that I use (every day when I'm not slacking off), is Mathematica, an application that can be quite demanding. However, it is also quite extensible. Imagine a front end running on the slate with the compute engine running on my MBP or Mac Pro or how about, my Dell tower (I didn't buy it myself - honest)! A 10" slate would be perfect for displaying the results of some computation as a table or graph or 3D animation.

http://wolfram.com/

Perhaps, in a board meeting, the parameters of some financial model could be changed and the results displayed and handed around on the slate, regardless of the operating system and hardware under which the model was run. All the time, less demanding applications could be run on board.

This approach would not diminish my current investment. Of course, application vendors would need to write handlers, basically I guess, remote windows communication over wi-fi. One could have Photoshop running on one system and OS, sending back 'shopped' images, Excel on another and so on. My current hardware might house my personal data cloud, or interact with the external cloud behind the scenes. However, before other vendors come on board, the slate would be a compelling computer in its own right, running iWork, iLife and a myriad applications available for the iPhone.

When setting up or programming some application, a large display is often necessary but for displaying the results, a high resolution, small display might be quite adequate.

For me, really the only question to ask, if in fact a new product line is about to be released, is which industry is Apple about to revolutionise? Perhaps the answer is personal computing! After all, Apple knows a thing or two about the subject!
  • Reply 85 of 172
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    I have a gesture for Apple, it involves a simple extension of your middle finger. If you are dumb enough to buy one of these, then you desrve to be relieved of your hard earned cash. Everyone is quick to judge failures by other companies products but give Apple a pass. They have done nothing right and I can give numerous examples of their failures and half baked ideas. This device is going to be no better. I'd rather try and hackintosh some of the really cool convertible hardware shown at CES if possible. Perhaps maybe that is why they are starting to clamp down on hackintoshing. But I expect to see huge lines forming for this device and people are going to kiss Apple's rear end. Buy the way I have been a Apple fan boy for 24 yrs. Just one more half baked product from a company that has become the leader in putting out half baked goods. The new big blue...Apple.
  • Reply 86 of 172
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

These "complex multi-touch gestures" fits with the supposed steep learning curve rumor. Interesting...

I know Apple loves multi-touch, but it sounds like (three fingers and rotate instead of tapping) SJ is going a little crazy with it.

This certainly doesn't sound like "the UI for the rest of us." Apple lost me with the latest shuffle's umpteen click combos to control an impassive piece of aluminum that will only respond in any way if I stroke it with the right secret handshake.

Apple interfaces have always been about "it just works," as you can just look at it and figure out what to do next. "Complicated sets of multi-finger gestures" may appeal to a subset of power geeks, but for most, having to memorize commands we can't see is a step backwards to the days of memorizing DOS commands, now re-clothed as hand ballet movements. (a la "Minority Report" tho' on a 10" screen)

I'm sure there will be ways in which the (alleged) machine is elegantly approachable, but if this is at the heart of controlling complex apps with it, I'm having trouble seeing millions happily take the time to master the feng shui of 15 gesture multi-touch commands.

Apple seems too savvy to make this highly hyped and anticipated wonder into something unapproachable to the average target user, so this feature set may exist (and become second-nature to more and more people over years) but there indeed needs to be something that a computer naif can point at and get something done without specialized training.
  • Reply 87 of 172
  • Reply 88 of 172
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    > If anyone can convince me I'm wrong, please do so. <

Couldn't be bothered; better just to wait and see.
  • Reply 89 of 172
    I remind people that when the first Mac shipped with its mouse, the naysayers were extremely vocal.

However, the mouse remained relatively obscure until the appearance of the Apple Macintosh; in 1984 PC columnist John C. Dvorak ironically commented on the release of this new computer with a mouse: “There is no evidence that people want to use these things.”[2]

A mouse now comes with most computers and many other varieties can be bought separately.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)

A better version:

Dvorak's most famous prediction, coming in 1984 as a writer for the San Francisco Examiner, identified the Macintosh as a useless tool and the mouse as a 'new fangled' device he neither wanted nor needed. "The nature of the personal computer is simply not fully understood by companies like Apple (or anyone else for that matter). Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the “why” out of the equation - as in “why would I want this?” The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ‘mouse’. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices."[7]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Dvorak#Controversy

Apple will do it right.
  • Reply 90 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifterus View Post

So ultimately it will be a device that costs twice as much as a netbook (but with no keyboard)

I think you've stumbled on the crux of the paradigm shift Apple wants to create.

As an analogy, what happens if you think of the keyboard as a "walking stick" that's been required for using a computer until now? What if the keyboard has been necessary but now is slowing us down? (Think also of a manual/stick shift car? Propeller aircraft (instead of jet)? A VCR (instead of PVR)? Or a phone keypad (instead of iPhone touchscreen))

In 5 years time, Apple hopes your kind of comment might have transformed into:

"ultimately it was a touch device that cost twice as much as a netbook, but was no longer limited by a reliance on a keyboard interface and trackpad"

Of course - we first have to see what's demonstrated shortly.

And then see how it pans out over 5 years
  • Reply 91 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just checked out the iWork apps to see how they’d work on a 10” tablet using an MSI Wind running Mac OS X. I had to “pretend” it was touch sensitive. None of the iWork app would work great as they are. Keynote works the best, which you can see for yourself, but remember that on a small display everything else will be cramped.

I’m not sure if iMovie will make it to that tablet, but as it likely won’t have the power needed to be useful, but the UI is pretty damn good for being completely touch-based. Check it out! I bring this up because I think rolling menus will be how Apple tackles the problem of making an viewer app into a good editing app on a touchscreen. A lot of the Tool bar elements in iWork and other apps may also employ a simple flicking action to get from one end of the row to the other while others might be best scrolling in from off the screen.

Regardless, of how they do it, I think it’s quite doable and therefore likely to be included.

1) If you’re not happy then you shouldn’t post on a thread that isn’t about a topic you’re not interested in.

2) Problems with and the people working on the 27” iMac situation have nothing to do with people working on iWork or a tablet.

3) Implying that tech sites should not report any other news until a flaw in one machine model in one size affecting many, but not all, buyers should be the only thing reported on is beyond silly.

4) They’ve reported on it plenty. If you have a problem with your iMac delay or technical issues with it there are plenty of articles and forums on this site for which you can discuss it. I’m sure AI will bring us an update as soon as there is one.

I think @rei_vilo got realize that!! Thanks @solipsism for ur brief.
  • Reply 92 of 172
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I am not so sure about iWork on the table - because I don't think the tablet is being created as a productivity tool at all.

Rather, I think the tablet is intended as an antidote to productivity. It's a device which is purpose-built for entertainment, social networking and media consumption.

Sure, some productivity applications will be possible... but that that is not the intended point of the device.

C.
  • Reply 93 of 172
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

These "complex multi-touch gestures" fits with the supposed steep learning curve rumor. Interesting...

I know Apple loves multi-touch, but it sounds like (three fingers and rotate instead of tapping) SJ is going a little crazy with it.

It wouldn't surprise me if that statement was a controlled leak, and when the demo it we won't see anything that complex, so we'll be surprised by its easy of use.
  • Reply 94 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I remind people that when the first Mac shipped with its mouse, the naysayers were extremely vocal.

However, the mouse remained relatively obscure until the appearance of the Apple Macintosh; in 1984 PC columnist John C. Dvorak ironically commented on the release of this new computer with a mouse: ?There is no evidence that people want to use these things.?[2]

A mouse now comes with most computers and many other varieties can be bought separately.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)

A better version:

Dvorak's most famous prediction, coming in 1984 as a writer for the San Francisco Examiner, identified the Macintosh as a useless tool and the mouse as a 'new fangled' device he neither wanted nor needed. "The nature of the personal computer is simply not fully understood by companies like Apple (or anyone else for that matter). Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the ?why? out of the equation - as in ?why would I want this?? The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ?mouse?. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices."[7]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Dvorak#Controversy

Apple will do it right.

Yet 25 years later they still can't build a proper one. Irony written all over the place.
  • Reply 95 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

> If anyone can convince me I'm wrong, please do so. <

Couldn't be bothered; better just to wait and see.

You're wrong.
  • Reply 96 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifterus View Post

Can somebody please explain the logic behind the hype of this device and why it won't end up like the Newton?

There's this cool handheld gadget called the iPhone made by a company called Apple. You should check it out.
  • Reply 97 of 172
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Why wouldn't this thing just come with iTunes? Most of us would agree that iTunes is in need of a rewrite so why not just start with a touch based version? To me this should be a device that an iPhone can sync to and not a device that has to constantly sync to your Mac.

Since over 60% of Macs purchased are laptops, it would mean that most Mac users would be syncing their 10" tablet to their 13"-15" Macbook/Pro. It would look very odd.

Since it will have wifi, It should since like Apple TV does wirelessly
  • Reply 98 of 172
    It's beginning to sound like the Apple Tablet could indeed be a replacement for not just a netbook, but a full laptop. Here's an article that discusses this in more detail:

http://www.alltabletnews.com/2010/01...k-replacement/
  • Reply 99 of 172
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    See to me, if this Mac Touch is powerful enough to run iWork, then presumably it's powerful enough to run iLife. So if that's the case then the device needs ports to connect with raw content gathering devices, like a camera. Connecting the two via an intermediary computer, in my opinion, is the wrong answer.
  • Reply 100 of 172
    It will certainly have USB... the iPhone and iPod do. It might even have an SD slot like the MacBooks and iMac. That should cover connectivity.

It does not need FW as most vid cams now have USB only.