Is Aperture dead?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I mean this honestly. I've used Aperture since version 1, and stuck with it despite its quirks, bugs, and limitations. I grew up on iPhoto and despite plenty of photoshop experience I've always thought of aperture as a better way of doing things.

It's become clear to me, however, that Adobe has this game in the bag. Photoshop, lightroom, the whole works; they're all cross-platform, and their marketshare is way above that of Aperture... hell, I'm sure more people use iPhoto than Aperture, so Apple probably is more concerned about updating that.

This begs the question: will Apple kill Aperture? It's a sleek, sexy, intuitive program, but without an update soon, it's going to be outpaced by everything else out there. I don't know about everyone else but I personally think its RAW converter underperforms (and is out of date...), and simple tasks like dodge and burn are a headache. I even get into trouble frequently when I use stitched panoramas in Aperture (it complains that they're "too big to be exported", for example).

What gives, Apple? How long are you going to wait to throw us a bone? Have you given up, decided to put more energy into iPhoto and hand over the pro market to Adobe? I'll understand if you do, I just want notification so I can migrate over to Bridge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Nah...it's not dead.

I expect 2010 is when Apple will deliver Aperture 3
  • Reply 2 of 41
    I sure hope you're right hmurchison... I also hope they decide to release it closer to January, rather than next December...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Schiller said recently that Apple's standard update to iLife happens around March.

Apple introduced Aperture 2 in February 2008 and iLife '09 in early 2009.

If Apple updates iPhoto again this winter as expected, it will have completely lapped its Pro counterpart.

That would make Apple's Pro Apps division look silly, not to mention completely incompetent given the importance of the Snow Leopard transition.

I think it has to be early 2010. Possibly a silent intro the week before the Tablet intro on the 26th.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

I sure hope you're right hmurchison... I also hope they decide to release it closer to January, rather than next December...

I hope so too because i'm on the cusp of buying my first Camera that does RAW and I want to stick with an Apple (read Aperture) workflow. I'm just a guy that wants to do hobby photos but I want that integration.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Frank777 is absolutely right, and he's getting at my point; Apple has neglected its in-house pro apps for a bit too long.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

Frank777 is absolutely right, and he's getting at my point; Apple has neglected its in-house pro apps for a bit too long.

I don't think they're neglecting them. I'm sure a huge volume of work is being done for the Final Cut rewrite.

Incorporating Grand Central and all that other Snow Leopard goodness was always going to take time.

The upcoming shifts to things like LightPeak and SDXC are probably making the next big thing in filmmaking a moving target.

Remember, the Pro apps exist solely to sell Pro hardware.

But Aperture is a different case. Adobe is breathing down their necks and Apple is giving out signals that they either can't (or won't) compete.

Will the Aperture team do things that make the program much easier and better even though it might harm Photoshop?

No one really knows.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Yes the problem is when Apple delivers an OS update with shiny new features Apple really needs to wait until they've quashed some bugs and the new OS has obtained some marketshare.

I didn't see Core Animation used in iWork until almost a year after Leopard shipped. My guess is that the 2010 updates will be delivered with much better support for Snow Leopard and we'll end up learning about 10.7 come WWDC.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If Apple updates iPhoto again this winter as expected, it will have completely lapped its Pro counterpart.

I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing. Do I need geo location in Aperture? Do I need facial recognition in Aperature? Probly not. So, iPhoto is in a different category than Aperature. Same with Photoshop. Sure, you can edit photos with Photoshop but Photoshop is a design tool first, photo editor second. Hence, the need and market space for Lightroom. If you're going to switch just ensure you're using the right tool for the job

Having said that, with OpenCL now a part of SL I think they will update Aperature this year
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing. Do I need geo location in Aperture? Do I need facial recognition in Aperature? Probly not. So, iPhoto is in a different category than Aperature. Same with Photoshop. Sure, you can edit photos with Photoshop but Photoshop is a design tool first, photo editor second. Hence, the need and market space for Lightroom. If you're going to switch just ensure you're using the right tool for the job

Having said that, with OpenCL now a part of SL I think they will update Aperature this year

Definitely not. Photoshop was never designed as a "design tool." That's what Illustrator and InDesign are for. Photoshop is the original "photo editor."

Lightroom is something else all together - it's a workflow tool. Both Aperture and LR are workflow solutions that also have robust image correction and processing tools built in them.

There have certainly been hints that Aperture 3 will come before March - and Apple really needs to bring something soon. If not, Aperture really will die - as hard as it is for me to say.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    The Final Cut Studio update seemed to be bug fixes and stabilization rather than new features mostly. I think as said above, a complete rewrite is in the works for not only the Final Cut Studio, but perhaps something of that nature with Aperture 3 too. Utilizing Grand Central etc. My guess is the Jan. 26 announcement has been tying up resources; and bringing in other people would complicate the vision the Aperture team has for the product. At any rate, I too believe something great will be announced soon. There is a big photography conference early in the year I think, as well as CES, so I would keep an eye out early in the year for any updates.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Great to hear everyone's insights on this issue.

I don't think Aperture has a bigger supporter out there than me, but you have to face the facts sometimes. For a pro application, it's *still* on version 2 even though it's existed for around 5 years right now. There's a new version of iPhoto basically every year. What does that say? Apple makes more money attracting new users with iPhoto than pro photographers with Aperture.

I think Aperture is getting the axe. It doesn't have the staying power of other programs--even though I'm not going to stop using it anytime soon (that is, until I can figure out how to migrate to Bridge), I don't think Apple is going to keep ponying up moolah for Aperture's further development.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    If Apple dropped Aperture then what would happen if Adobe threatened to drop their apps for OS X? That damage would be catastrophic. Apple cannot afford to be held hostage by Adobe.

Think Adobe would never do that? Maybe not, but what happens if Microsoft bought Adobe? Adobe might not have a choice. Or maybe Microsoft would not have Adobe embrace the new Apple OS Core libraries and drag the Adobe apps a few generations behind the PC versions. Heck, Adobe does this already it seems.

It is not whether Aperture is even making money. All they have to do is break even. This keeps Adobe in check. Apple cannot sell Pro hardware unless there is pro software to run on it. That is why Apple has pro video, photo, and audio apps. Steve Jobs learned this the hard way at NeXt.

I would love to see Apple expand their line of apps to include Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, and Dreamweaver apps. Pixelmator would make a good start. Apple does not even have to create or own these pro apps themselves. All they need to do is make sure there are good alternatives to the Adobe apps. But the best position is to own apps themselves that they control.

So I don't think Aperture is going anywhere.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Visionary makes a good point. I don't think the apps are going away, but it is high time we got Snow Leopard optimized high performance apps that set the industry standard. Maybe thats in the next event. /crosses fingers
  • Reply 14 of 41
    The threat to Adobe didn't start with Aperture. It's been known for a long time that ColorSync and the Core Image libraries provided Apple with the capability to build a Photoshop-killer within a year if necessary. If Aperture is discontinued, that won't change.

I seriously doubt Apple sees print publishing as a growth market. So Photoshop and InDesign competitors are out. Lineform and others are maturing fast, so I doubt Apple will take on Illustrator either.

Dreamweaver is the only app I can see Apple going after.

The iPhone, iPod Touch, Tablet/iSlate thing and Safari on Mac all cry out for an easy-to-use web authoring environment for consumers and prosumers. And Apple seems to hate Flash and embraces HTML5, so there's one more reason to run over Dreamweaver with an Apple-built solution.

The key thing is simplicity. No one has really come up with a professional level easy-to-use web site builder. You still have to know programming to build a decent website (forget about a database driven site without specialized knowledge.)

Can Apple take the iWeb philosophy upmarket? I have no idea.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

The threat to Adobe didn't start with Aperture. It's been known for a long time that ColorSync and the Core Image libraries provided Apple with the capability to build a Photoshop-killer within a year if necessary. If Aperture is discontinued, that won't change.

I seriously doubt Apple sees print publishing as a growth market. So Photoshop and InDesign competitors are out. Lineform and others are maturing fast, so I doubt Apple will take on Illustrator either.

As I've said many, many times before: Serious photographers need either Aperture or Lightroom -- or something very much like them -- plus just a fraction of what Photoshop CS does.

Adding non-destructive image editing features (layers, channel masks, etc.) that photographers need while leaving out the bulk of Ps would be a game changer for the Aperture/Lightroom space and would put Apple out ahead on a tangent where Adobe couldn't follow (because Adobe would be too fearful of cannibalizing Ps market share).

FWIW, Dutch website OneMoreThing.nl has found a wide release of a Dutch Aperture 3 book with ISBNs, cover photo, etc.: http://translate.google.com/translat...6art_id%3D4987 (Google translation) via a story on TUAW. Maybe we'll get a new version of Aperture after all?
  • Reply 16 of 41
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Apple had to keep Final Cut Studio support for PowerPC, but Aperture is small enough that they can make it Intel-only. I expect the new version to be available sometime between the tablet's unveiling and the new versions of the iLife and iWork suites.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple had to keep Final Cut Studio support for PowerPC, but Aperture is small enough that they can make it Intel-only. I expect the new version to be available sometime between the tablet's unveiling and the new versions of the iLife and iWork suites.

I'm not sure "between Wednesday and the next iLife/iWork releases" is going to cut it, nor is Tim Cook saying they are seeing a "small year over year increase" in pro apps like Aperture. "Economically challenged area", indeed.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

From MacWorld's lips...

MacWorld doesn't seem to do much rumor-mongering, so it's surprising nothing happened there. Maybe an Aperture announcement was delayed? We can only hope.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Dreamweaver is the only app I can see Apple going after.

The iPhone, iPod Touch, Tablet/iSlate thing and Safari on Mac all cry out for an easy-to-use web authoring environment for consumers and prosumers. And Apple seems to hate Flash and embraces HTML5, so there's one more reason to run over Dreamweaver with an Apple-built solution.

The key thing is simplicity. No one has really come up with a professional level easy-to-use web site builder. You still have to know programming to build a decent website (forget about a database driven site without specialized knowledge.)

Can Apple take the iWeb philosophy upmarket? I have no idea.

This is the most astute comment I have heard in ages about the dearth of a high level, user-friendly program for web design. Thumbs up.

The fact is that in terms of simplicity wed to sophistication, a program like Adobe InDesign roundly destroys its web layout counterpart Adobe Dreamweaver. Adobe has not managed to make its acquired Macromedia apps particularly elegant or user-friendly. This is indeed a gap that Apple has begun to exploit with iWeb. iWeb on steroids would be fascinating.