Google Nexus One vs Apple iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 141 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Google Voice isn't the only option for making calls and texts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Not sure I understand you. Yes, you can try to use GV for inbound calls, but for outbound it is awkward and impractical without the integrated app. It just doesn't work and that's just the way Apple wants it.

Secondly, there is no Friends/family calling option on ATT to use in conjunction with GV. This is where the savings comes from allowing you not to use minutes. All outbound calls go through GV (transparent when using the standard dialer/phonebook), which is a F&F number.

Lastly, there is no GV app to allow you to skip the SMS plan.

So, no you can't do this on the iphone.

• Reply 142 of 234
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Who cares about Google Voice it isn't available here, I even installed it on an HTC Magic and Google doesn't let me use it as I'm outside the US, an example of how Google CLOSES the platform,

Google also cracked down on people in Europe who hacked the maps application to get voice guidance outside the US SO MUCH FOR AN "OPEN" PLATFORM

GOOGLE LOCKS DOWN ANDROID.

Quote:

Not sure I understand you. Yes, you can try to use GV for inbound calls, but for outbound it is awkward and impractical without the integrated app. It just doesn't work and that's just the way Apple wants it.

Secondly, there is no Friends/family calling option on ATT to use in conjunction with GV. This is where the savings comes from allowing you not to use minutes. All outbound calls go through GV (transparent when using the standard dialer/phonebook), which is a F&F number.

Lastly, there is no GV app to allow you to skip the SMS plan.

So, no you can't do this on the iphone.

• Reply 143 of 234
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those that can?t see how bad this will get need to reevaluate the situation. Android in and of itself isn?t bad, but this is a problem.

\\

Is the problem worse than the fragmentation of "PC-compatible" computers in the early 1990's?

Back then, folks were used to looking to see whether software was compatible with their hardware. Indeed, they upgraded hardware in order to use the coolest, newest software.

Are things different now? Why would it be a problem for someone, say, without a GPS unit in their phone to avoid GPS apps? Or to avoid an app that needs 800x480 resolution if their phone only does 480x320? Or for the developer to make a screen that scales to varying resolutions?

I can see that identical hardware is optimal. But I cannot see that fragmentation is fatal.
  • Reply 144 of 234
    I haven't read through this thread yet but I thought I'd share an experience I had over the weekend. I was watching a football game with a group of people and this guy started talking about how he was going to get a Google Nexus and another guy who has an iPhone said "well, it's not an iPhone." The Nexus fan said it's got all the same stuff - at this point I decided to interject. I told him they don't have the apps. He told that "droid network" has all the exact same apps except the ones made by Apple. I told him that wasn't right and he said they have 99.9% of the exact same apps "because it's open." At this point he was visibly agitated so I just let him go on believing since he didn't seem to care what I had to say and betting him (and winning of course) wouldn't have been worth the trouble because he'd get even more upset.

Anyway, I point all this out because apparently the advertising for this is pretty impressive. they've got 16k vs 125k and yet they make people think that "open" = "all the same apps." Do they say that explicitly? Well, no, of course not. But do they encourage people to think that's the case? Absolutely. Most people haven't a clue in the world what being open entails and so they believe that just means they can get everything out there no matter what because it's open. What makes it all worse is this guy works in IT and he still thinks all of that...
  • Reply 145 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Anyway, I point all this out because apparently the advertising for this is pretty impressive. they've got 16k vs 125k and yet they make people think that "open" = "all the same apps." Do they say that explicitly? Well, no, of course not. But do they encourage people to think that's the case? Absolutely. Most people haven't a clue in the world what being open entails and so they believe that just means they can get everything out there no matter what because it's open. What makes it all worse is this guy works in IT and he still thinks all of that...

If I switch to Android, which "must-have" apps will I have to give up? Specifically, which ones are unavailable on Android?

The other way around, of course, both Google Navigation and Google Voice are glaring iPhone omissions. Which killer iPhone apps are missing on Android?
  • Reply 146 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

If I switch to Android, which "must-have" apps will I have to give up? Specifically, which ones are unavailable on Android?

The other way around, of course, both Google Navigation and Google Voice are glaring iPhone omissions. Which killer iPhone apps are missing on Android?

Slingplayer, Madden, FIFA, HR Battle, Biggest Brain and that's just for me.

You make an interesting argument however. It's basically the same argument AT&T is making. Who care about the places 3G doesn't exist if you don't live here. Who cares about the apps you don't use just so long as the ones you think you want are available.

There's over 100k apps that are unavailable on the Android network - I'm about 100% sure that you're going to be missing out on apps that you would find very useful and/or enjoyable. But then again ignorance is bliss so if you've never used any of those apps on the iPhone you won't realize you miss them because you never had them...
  • Reply 147 of 234
    Quote:

Slingplayer, Madden, FIFA, HR Battle, Biggest Brain and that's just for me.

You make an interesting argument however. It's basically the same argument AT&T is making. Who care about the places 3G doesn't exist if you don't live here. Who cares about the apps you don't use just so long as the ones you think you want are available.

There's over 100k apps that are unavailable on the Android network - I'm about 100% sure that you're going to be missing out on apps that you would find very useful and/or enjoyable. But then again ignorance is bliss so if you've never used any of those apps on the iPhone you won't realize you miss them because you never had them...

I was sincere, and if your list is accurate, it looks like nobody will miss much.

My question was whether any worthwhile apps are missing. Your response was to list stuff few folks care about, and then to repeat guess that that folks will miss out on useful apps.

Sure - every platform has apps that are missing on others. For example, Windows has hundreds of thousands of applications that the Mac will never see. The usual response is that the number of Mac apps are adequate for nearly all tasks.

So I ask again - What "must-have" or "killer" apps are missing from Android? If there are significant omissions, then Android is less useful.
  • Reply 148 of 234
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I was sincere, and if your list is accurate, it looks like nobody will miss much.

My question was whether any worthwhile apps are missing. Your response was to list stuff few folks care about, and then to repeat guess that that folks will miss out on useful apps.

Sure - every platform has apps that are missing on others. For example, Windows has hundreds of thousands of applications that the Mac will never see. The usual response is that the number of Mac apps are adequate for nearly all tasks.

So I ask again - What "must-have" or "killer" apps are missing from Android? If there are significant omissions, then Android is less useful.

This has been discussed elsewhere. Handsets are even more "personal" than personal computers, apps are likely to be much more a matter of individual utility. While the average desktop is pretty well served by office suite, email, browser, calender and a few more, phone users are going to be running (and relying on) all kinds of converters, language programs, specialized knowledge databases, location aware services, etc.-- for the simple fact that something you keep on your person as you walk around has more utility unique to your self than a device that stays on your desk or in a bag.

So while the first 50% or so of "core" apps are likely to be similar on a lot of phones, thereafter they diverge rapidly.

So no one can say if apps that you would find killer or key or necessary are available for Android or not, because that would depend on you. If you're content with just having the same "major" apps as everyone else, and don't imagine that you'll ever go looking for specialized solutions to your particular needs, then you probably won't miss the vast array of additional options available for the iPhone. If you're not into biking, for instance, and don't need or care about bike centric apps, no problem.

The problem is, of course, that everybody has at least some "narrow" interests, beyond messaging and looking at maps and browsing, and having lots more apps available means your that more likely to find something tailored to your needs. But I guess Android users find "individual needs" to be gay?
  • Reply 149 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This has been discussed elsewhere. Handsets are even more "personal" than personal computers, apps are likely to be much more a matter of individual utility. While the average desktop is pretty well served by office suite, email, browser, calender and a few more, phone users are going to be running (and relying on) all kinds of converters, language programs, specialized knowledge databases, location aware services, etc.-- for the simple fact that something you keep on your person as you walk around has more utility unique to your self than a device that stays on your desk or in a bag.

So while the first 50% or so of "core" apps are likely to be similar on a lot of phones, thereafter they diverge rapidly.

So no one can say if apps that you would find killer or key or necessary are available for Android or not, because that would depend on you. If you're content with just having the same "major" apps as everyone else, and don't imagine that you'll ever go looking for specialized solutions to your particular needs, then you probably won't miss the vast array of additional options available for the iPhone. If you're not into biking, for instance, and don't need or care about bike centric apps, no problem.

The problem is, of course, that everybody has at least some "narrow" interests, beyond messaging and looking at maps and browsing, and having lots more apps available means your that more likely to find something tailored to your needs. But I guess Android users find "individual needs" to be gay?

That's what I was trying to point out as well. My list of apps that I really enjoy are different than adda's and it's different from sol's etc etc. You could take 30 iPhones and compare all the apps on each one and I'd bet there'd be only a select few that were on all of them (if any!). That's what happens when you have options and choices. If you're happy with what's on Android then that's great. If you think Android has all the apps you want then, again, that's great. But saying that 16k apps is just as good as 125k apps - that's just kidding yourself (and for owners it's like they are trying to justify their purchase to others rather than just being happy with what they have).
  • Reply 150 of 234
    Quote:

I enjoy talking about Apple stuff on a forum of like minded people, because it's an interest of mine. You know about that? Enjoying shared interests? I sometimes read the articles on the main site, sometimes not.

How about you? You like hanging around with people you think are assholes. What was that about pathetic?

My point was about the article, not the people reading it (assholes or not). If every article (or perhaps it would just be easier to call them advertisements) hollowly praises Apple, what purpose does it serve? If the "articles" aren't actually going to serve a purpose or provide useful information, why not just simply turn this completely into a forum and skip the bullshit of calling this a "news" site (yes, it does still classify as a news site)?

I'm interested in tech news, Apple included, which this site used to provide on a regular basis. But now it only provides real news on limited occasion with much of the content being reduced to heavily slanted opinion pieces declaring how everything Apple does is great and how everything company X (whoever is even vaguely competing with Apple) is crap. If that's all you're interested in reading, then yes, YOU are pathetic (and maybe even an asshole).
  • Reply 151 of 234
    This is classic Prince posting at its worst: waffly, overlong, inaccurate, and failing to actually get to the point.

Just a few of the bits which made me roll my eyes:

Quote:

"It's therefore nothing out of the ordinary that the newly released Nexus One running Android 2.1 is also being sold under other HTC names in other markets."

- HTC isn't currently selling the Nexus One under any other name in any other market. Passion was its codename, and it's also known as the Bravo.

Quote:

"With Android 2.1 however, Google seems to be signaling the intention to fold in many of HTC's Sense improvements into the standard OS, which should help streamline the platform at the expense of HTC's differentiation."

- This is just incorrect. The interface on Nexus One is stock 2.1, with nothing from Sense UI. Even a glance at something like an HTC Hero next to a Nexus One would show this.

Quote:

"That indicates that despite its shift from Windows Mobile, HTC isn't betting its future on Android. Additionally, it shows that Android itself doesn't do enough to allow phone makers to hit low price points. Successful Android phones require a fast processor and significant RAM and other system resources to be taken seriously."

- This is a non sequitur. Android doesn't need a "fast" processor, any more than iPhone OS X does. You can see this from looking at the performance of the aforementioned HTC Hero, which is slick (unless you bog it down running a dozen apps at the same time, of course - but even a "fast" processor will bog down then.)

Quote:

"Finding one operating system to span from the bargain bin to the high end has similarly been a challenge for Nokia, which uses its own simple Nokia OS..."

- There is no such thing as "Nokia OS". You must mean Series 40 (or S40 for short).

Quote:

"The company has also announced a clear intention to turn its hardware partners into commodity manufacturers, leaving Google with control of all the value across their products, much as Microsoft did to PC makers in the 90s. This is all a precarious balancing act challenge Apple doesn't face."

- Where has it announced this? Don't bother looking - the answer is "nowhere". You might mean that one way to interpret the existence of Nexus One is that it's reducing its reliance on hardware partners, but it hasn't "announced" anything.

Quote:

"One would expect that the very latest Android phone using the most advanced ARM processor available would perform significantly better than last summer's iPhone 3GS and just narrowly better than the Droid... This indicates that Apple's software provides significant performance optimization, something that last year's Palm Pre also demonstrated."

- No, it could equally well indicate that other parts of the Nexus' hardware hold its performance back. Unless you have a Droid running 2.1 (which I doubt) you don't know enough to conclude what the performance problem (if there is one) is.

I kind-of stopped reading in detail at that point, but from what I read it just deteriorated into a jumbled list of "reasons why the iPhone is better" (because a proprietary dock connector is better than USB? WTF?).

EDIT: There are plenty of good reasons why the iPhone is currently superior to anthing running Android, but you won't find them in Prince's article. Have a look at Danny Sullivan's piece, for one, on why the rough edges of Android make it harder to use.
  • Reply 152 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Who cares about Google Voice it isn't available here, I even installed it on an HTC Magic and Google doesn't let me use it as I'm outside the US, an example of how Google CLOSES the platform,

Google also cracked down on people in Europe who hacked the maps application to get voice guidance outside the US SO MUCH FOR AN "OPEN" PLATFORM

GOOGLE LOCKS DOWN ANDROID.

Umm... you do know that an application isn't part of the operating system, don't you? I mean - you do know the difference between an OS and an App?

I'm no fan of Android, but even I understand that you can run closed source apps on top of an open source OS.
  • Reply 153 of 234
    Teno, please go on. Tell me how Google Voice's functions are duplicated by other iphone apps. I'm being sincere. Is there a way to receive sms via the data channel with some type of push notification? Is there a way to dial out without having to take extra steps to use GV or some other calling platform? There's a lot I don't know. Help me out.

Having GV integrated into the phone/dialer means you just go about your business. Make/receive calls, send/receive text messages. At the end of the month, you're still on the lowest F&F calling plan and no charge for SMS.

This is what Google brings to Verizon customers. I don't see Apple making the same effort..... yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Google Voice isn't the only option for making calls and texts.

• Reply 154 of 234
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Google Voice is not the first nor the only alternative service for sending/receiving voice and text. Yes there are others available for the iPhone, they all have their pluses and minuses. One major plus is being able to use the service outside of the United States. But I don't see the point in listing them all.

If you wish to believe that Google Voice is the epitome, then feel free.

Quote:

Teno, please go on. Tell me how Google Voice's functions are duplicated by other iphone apps. I'm being sincere. Is there a way to receive sms via the data channel with some type of push notification? Is there a way to dial out without having to take extra steps to use GV or some other calling platform? There's a lot I don't know. Help me out.

Having GV integrated into the phone/dialer means you just go about your business. Make/receive calls, send/receive text messages. At the end of the month, you're still on the lowest F&F calling plan and no charge for SMS.

This is what Google brings to Verizon customers. I don't see Apple making the same effort..... yet.

• Reply 155 of 234
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://www.neowin.net/news/main/10/0...in.net+News%29

Nexus One doesn't seem to like 3G

Many reports have been coming in pertaining to the Nexus One's 3G reception issue. You can see in the image below that the phone is running on EDGE, while the G1, right next to it, seems to have a strong 3G signal. T-Mobile USA has made an official statement saying that they, along with Google, are investigating the issue and hope to have more information soon. In the meantime, many Nexus One-ers are forced to deal with EDGE as their phone's signal of choice.

Gizmodo posted the results of a test conducted by one of its users. The test seems to have isolated the issue to a software glitch. He concludes that since, in his tests, the phone was able to find and receive all ranges of signals (both 3G and EDGE), the problem must be in the way the phone handles them. For some reason, the software seems to prefer EDGE most of the time, regardless of signal strength.

Below is a temporary solution that the user found. For those who can't stand the slowness of their EDGE connections, this may be worth trying. The only problem with the fix is that when you do actually leave 3G coverage, you won't automatically fall back onto EDGE. You'll have to go and change the settings manually.

"OK. I found 'Phone Info' screen through 'Any Cut'. This looks like a screen not intended for average users. It clearly has settings that should not be messed with. However, it does have a pull down menu that was set to 'WCDMA Preferred'. I changed this to 'WCDMA Only'. The phone reset, and never again saw the f'ing 'E' on the signal indicator- ALL 3G. After about 1/2 hour of speed tests (150k - 800kbps) and google satellite map downloads (all definitely faster), I switched back to 'WCDMA Preferred'. Guess what? After a few minutes, I was back on EDGE, even with a good signal. Switched back to 'WCDMA Only', and 3G it remains."

If it is, indeed, a software problem, perhaps Android 2.1 isn't ready for prime-time, just yet. One would think that Google's internal testing of the phone (called 'dogfooding') would have caught such a big issue, before the phone was released to the public. Even so, an simple software update could, potentially, be rolled out, over-the-air, to fix the glitch. It will be interesting to see if the problem falls on Google's shoulders, or if T-Mobile will have to get their hands dirty. Being that the problem seems software related, T-Mobile will probably be off the hook. This would create another problem, as it leaves customers to deal with Google's, nearly non-existent, customer support. Users are reporting that Google is only offering support via email, and that responses are received within 2 days.
  • Reply 156 of 234
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    This is a great question. With my iPod touch, I'm regularly looking for new apps and games being that it's my game player and alarm clock, primarily. I've yet to find the killer app not found or duplicated on Android, but there are legitimate reasons why the iphone is the current king. It comes down to marketing, look & feel, simplistic interface, cult of mac and the fact they innovated the app store model. Let's not forget itunes integration either.

Today, there is a rich set of apps and huge iphone customer base. The app store grew quickly from 10,000 to 100,000 apps. I've read that Apple reached 10,000 apps on Nov 28, 2008. They were growing quickly, but not as fast as Android is today. The fact is, the total market for android software is big enough now to attract major efforts similar to the console game market with Xbox, Wii and PS3 where it's hard to find a great game that is exclusive to one. The point being, at a certain point the App race is over and it's within view.

For the time being, the App Store is 8 to 10 times larger, but very few will ever see the bottom 99.9% so it's really the top 0.1% of apps that matter. Compare this to Android's top 1% and the difference is minimal with the gap closing. Looking beyond, I see Coke and Pepsi, Avis and Hertz, Ford and Chevy, and iphone and Android. One will never eliminate the other.

The connected handset is a device and a utility with signs of a religion that make each ecosystem unique. My decision today is based on the philosophy google has chosen. Apple's path of hand picking apps that limit users' freedom and cost them more is what keeps me away. In return, I forgo the sleeker UI and more plentiful applications.

Quote:

• Reply 157 of 234
    Quote:

If you think Android has all the apps you want then, again, that's great. But saying that 16k apps is just as good as 125k apps - that's just kidding yourself (and for owners it's like they are trying to justify their purchase to others rather than just being happy with what they have).

I'm not saying that. But I might be persuaded to say that for 90% of users, 16,000 is 99% as good.

And isn't that exactly what Mac users have been saying for decades about the (relative) scarcity of Mac software?

To paraphrase you: "If you think that the [Mac] has all the applictions you want then, again, that's great. But saying that [many fewer Mac] apps is just as good as [many more Windows] apps - that's just kidding yourself..."
  • Reply 158 of 234
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    I made a simple claim that GV functionality cannot be duplicated with other apps. You counter, but never explain. I know of other IM apps like AIM and there are GV calling workarounds, but they really don't stand up. That's like me saying android has a music player just like itunes. Yes, it plays songs and playlists.

GV has the potential to save people 25 to 50% on their cell bill, cut it in half! This is real money, not to be overlooked. More with Navigation, more with background location services.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Google Voice is not the first nor the only alternative service for sending/receiving voice and text. Yes there are others available for the iPhone, they all have their pluses and minuses. One major plus is being able to use the service outside of the United States. But I don't see the point in listing them all.

If you wish to believe that Google Voice is the epitome, then feel free.

• Reply 159 of 234
    Quote:

While the average desktop is pretty well served by office suite, email, browser, calender and a few more,

Here we agree. These apps originally made the Palm Pilot great, and were included on the original iPhone, a runaway seller. With nothing more, most folks were happy.

Indeed, most smartphone users still choose a Blackberry, which has available little more than what was listed.

Quote:

phone users are going to be running (and relying on) all kinds of converters, language programs, specialized knowledge databases, location aware services, etc.-- for the simple fact that something you keep on your person as you walk around has more utility unique to your self than a device that stays on your desk or in a bag.

But that begs the question, as you assume that important examples are unavailable on Android.

Quote:

Here's where you started making stuff up. You have no basis for the 50% you cite.

I can guess too: 90% or so of "core" apps are likely to be similar on a lot of phones. The vast majority of folks will find that everything they might want or need is included within the 16,000 Android apps.

Quote:

So no one can say if apps that you would find killer or key or necessary are available for Android or not, because that would depend on you.

And yet, are you comfortable saying that lots of folks will find killer or necessary or key apps are UNavailable on Android?

Quote:

If you're content with just having the same "major" apps as everyone else, and don't imagine that you'll ever go looking for specialized solutions to your particular needs, then you probably won't miss the vast array of additional options available for the iPhone. If you're not into biking, for instance, and don't need or care about bike centric apps, no problem.

Once again you beg the question by assuming that these apps ARE available on the iPhone and are NOT avilable on Android.

Quote:

But I guess Android users find "individual needs" to be gay?

Stop guessing. You get yourself into trouble.
  • Reply 160 of 234
    Quote:

They were growing quickly, but not as fast as Android is today. The fact is, the total market for android software is big enough now to attract major efforts similar to the console game market with Xbox, Wii and PS3 where it's hard to find a great game that is exclusive to one. The point being, at a certain point the App race is over and it's within view.

We agree pretty much completely: The app race is pretty much drawing to a close.

There are no missing "killer apps", except perhaps in a few niche areas, and that will soon change.