France Telecom exec implies Apple tablet to have 3G, Web cam

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An executive with wireless operator France Telecom suggested in an interview Monday that Apple will soon release a tablet equipped with a Web cam, and Orange customers across Europe will be able to use the device.

Stephane Richard, the second in command with France Telecom, owner of Orange, simply said "oui" to a couple of questions Monday about a tablet with a Web cam. When asked if Orange customers will be able to use Apple's tablet, he said, in French, "of course."

Update: Although Richard went on to talk about the prospect of video conferencing with the device, Orange later issued a retraction on the executive's statements.

"These responses in no way reflect Orange’s confirmation of the existence of the rumoured device," the company said. "The spokesperson was merely confirming that he is aware of the speculation surrounding a launch and that Orange would be delighted to have such a product were it ever to be available.”

Richard did not volunteer the information, but rather responded by saying yes to a series of tablet-related questions from journalist Jean-Pierre Elkabbach. Nowhereelse.fr captured the video and relayed the information. A translation of the exchange follows:

Elkabbach: According to weekly Le Point, in a couple of days Apple will be launching its tablet computer...

Richard: Yes.

Elkabbach: ...equipped with a webcam.

Richard: Yes.

Elkabbach: Are Orange customers going to be able to enjoy it?

Richard: Of course!

Orange previously had an exclusive arrangement with Apple to offer the iPhone in France, though the nation's competition counsel ruled that exclusive relationship to be illegal. But France Telecom still sold 200,000 iPhones in December, Richard revealed Monday in Paris.

Orange is primarily based in Europe and Africa. It is the fifth largest wireless carrier in the world, with more than 189 million customers.

Stateside, recent rumors have suggested that Apple could make its anticipated touchscreen tablet compatible with the Verizon network. It has been speculated that Apple could offer subsidized and non-subsidized options for customers.

Apple is rumored to hold an event Jan. 27 to announce its tablet, expected to have a screen size between 10 and 11 inches and be akin to a jumbo iPod touch. While Apple is expected to reveal the product this month, reports have said it will not likely ship until March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    This is a great read:

http://www.techcrunch.net/2010/01/10...-cespool-2010/

The 12th annual CESPOOL conference attracted hundreds of attendees in Las Vegas this weekend and they were all excited about one product ? the book. Dozens of companies showed off their latest models, all of which have in common the new flexible ?paper? display and ?binding? technology.

The form factors varied, with some vendors showcasing additional features like built-in ?bookmarks? and ?appendices?. A particularly high-end offering from Ericsung boasted ?pop-up? technology, which allows viewers to experience wholly-immersive 3d scenery.

Users have warmed to the ?flipping? paradigm of reading and the brief moment between the current and next pages no longer seems to be a significant handicap for the devices. Noting readers? hunger for new features, the new paper displays allow for instant annotation and are compatible with pencils, pens, highlighters, and even markers of all makes and models. The newest displays even offer eraser compatibility and white-out friendly pages.

Of course, consumers can expect to pay a bit more for the extra features ? especially for the fact that books are physically present and tangible. They run from $14.99 for the lower-grade paperback lines to premium hardcover offerings at an average price of $24.99. Buyers in Canada can expect to pay several dollars more for the same product thanks to the longstanding envious grudge held against them for socialized medicine.

Whispers abounded on the CESPOOL conference floor about a new book or ?tablet? reading device from Apple Whole Food. Rumored to be chiseled from the finest granite, the holy buzz around this new product is palpable.

Riding the wave of new reading products, books are coming as the e-reader phase wanes. All of these products, however, face a challenging trend ? the average adult reads less than five words per day on average (including traffic signs), down from several hundred just a decade ago. This dramatic decrease has been blamed by some, particularly the on the widespread availability of audio cassettes and dirty magazines with color pictures. Equipment makers hailing books as the new device to save reading certainly have a lot to prove in the coming months.

• Reply 2 of 100
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    "Of course"! Who else is that quick to disclose sensitive Apple-related information before Frenchies do!

Sure, tablet will. If you bought music and videos on iPhone, you would hardly suggest Leo would rely on iTunes sync more, than on just curious stone-age-dated option.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

"Of course"! Who else is that quick to disclose sensitive Apple-related information before Frenchies do!

Sure, tablet will. If you bought music and videos on iPhone, you would hardly suggest Leo would rely on iTunes sync more, than on just curious stone-age-dated option.

Are we talking $30 plan or $50 and $200, I say more like $299 or $499 with plan and $999 without. No free option for AT&T at $1000.

Just wireless. If your an AT&T customer you'll have to get yet another plan so expect verizon to get a lot of sales. We'l see I suppose.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    I just watched a video clip and the Orange guy says a lot more than just "oui & bien sûr". He specifically says that the Tablet will do video calls (chat) over the cell network. In other words the tablet will feature video iChat over 3G.

If anyone has a link of the video to the whole interview, rather than just the small clip, please post -- it is clear a lot more info is there than what the article implies.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Are we talking $30 plan or $50 and $200, I say more like $299 or $499 with plan and $999 without. No free option for AT&T at $1000.

Just wireless. If your an AT&T customer you'll have to get yet another plan so expect verizon to get a lot of sales. We'l see I suppose.

I can't speak for AT&T. Tablet without contract will be expensive. 1G looks reasonable estimation. But it seems to be gonna sell subsidized. Otherwise, back-to-school promotions will apply.

As for plans, Orange's data plan for iPhone costs now EUR 25 per month, unlimited tethering option costs 30 EUR/month.

Whence, 1000 - 12 * 30(40) ~ 600(500).
  • Reply 6 of 100
    Knowing AT&T they probably won't let you use your existing data plan, but I wonder if they will give a deal if you already have an iPhone data plan. Like tack on $10 extra a month instead of another 30$.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Well they better have a contract free version for well under $1000 otherwise there are a lot of people who won't be buying. Last thing I need in my life is another monthly bill.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

If anyone has a link of the video to the whole interview, rather than just the small clip, please post -- it is clear a lot more info is there than what the article implies.

Here you have the whole interview and the tablet is quoted from 6:20

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbt...eanpierre_news
  • Reply 9 of 100
    Which US network is capable of supporting another 3G device, if it's as popular as being assumed? Unless Apple brings out a CDMA/GSM tablet, it will end up on ATT or T-Mobile. With ATT having trouble with capacity now because of the iphone, will they add a new bandwidth user and make it worse or will T-Mobile want an Apple device?

From what I see, T-Mobile's network is weaker than ATT's. I'm not sure I would buy a new Google phone if the only network was T-Mobile then adding the Apple tablet, Verizon should have enough a field day with that situation.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefyre View Post

Knowing AT&T they probably won't let you use your existing data plan, but I wonder if they will give a deal if you already have an iPhone data plan. Like tack on $10 extra a month instead of another 30$.

Personally, I feel that the iSlate will be Wi-Fi only. Obviously it would then have a web cam.

However, I think that you are correct if the iSlate has 3g capabilities.

If I am not mistaken, most wireless companies are the same companies that we use for both our wireless cell and home/business internet services. And perhaps, Orange France is only correct if it is Wi-Fi only and they are an ISP as well.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I can't speak for AT&T. Tablet without contract will be expensive. 1G looks reasonable estimation. But it seems to be gonna sell subsidized. Otherwise, back-to-school promotions will apply.

Will people be willing to repeat the mistakes of the past? Subsidation and the associated contracts are really bad for the consummer. Especially if the device is carrier locked.

A carrier lock is especially bad on a tablet if you expect to keep it longer than a cell phone. Right now cell phone evolve fast enough and maintain a cost profile that allows for replacement every two years. A tablet that costs a grand or more plus contract is not going to fly for me.

Quote:

As for plans, Orange's data plan for iPhone costs now EUR 25 per month, unlimited tethering option costs 30 EUR/month.

Whence, 1000 - 12 * 30(40) ~ 600(500).

That is expensive!

I look at it this way a tablet that costs much more than $500 needs to prove to me that it is an effective replacement for a notebook computer. Right now all the rumors lead me to believe it won't be an effective replacement. I'm actually concerned that Apple will price this in the flop range much like they did with AIR.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I look at it this way a tablet that costs much more than $500 needs to prove to me that it is an effective replacement for a notebook computer. Right now all the rumors lead me to believe it won't be an effective replacement. I'm actually concerned that Apple will price this in the flop range much like they did with AIR.

Dave

I still do not believe it would be a laptop replacement. That is how most previous tablets have been marketed and it just doesn't work. I am under the impression that it will be marketed as something else you will want in your Apple ecosystem. Not a laptop replacement and not a bigger iPod Touch. I don't know what that means, but I can't see Apple doing this as a device replacement.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Quote:

Will people be willing to repeat the mistakes of the past? Subsidation and the associated contracts are really bad for the consummer. Especially if the device is carrier locked.

Tablets sell better with downpayment of $600, than at the entire price of $1000. What mistakes? We're not bashing Orange like the Americans do AT&T. Orange provides very satisfactory service, better than anyone else. Tablet user needs connectivity anyway. What is then the point to refuse carrier's contract?

Subsidized model is actually a speculation by the guys who blogged about this interview.

Quote:

A carrier lock is especially bad on a tablet if you expect to keep it longer than a cell phone. Right now cell phone evolve fast enough and maintain a cost profile that allows for replacement every two years. A tablet that costs a grand or more plus contract is not going to fly for me.

That is expensive!

Dave

Tablet will be expensive. I will not explain for free why.

It's not the laptop replacement, Apple will find another niche for this product.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Well they better have a contract free version for well under $1000 otherwise there are a lot of people who won't be buying. Last thing I need in my life is another monthly bill.

The problem is no matter how you look at this tablet it will be competeing with $500 & $600 laptops. People are not going to see much value in a device with no keyboard and a display that doesn't stay verticle for vastly more than $1000. It will be vastly more too if you are stuck with a contract and a base model that costs $1000.

Part of Apples problems is that it doesn't see people who worry about payments as part of their market. It actually worries me because while I think it is nice to have solid margins, a company like Apple runs the risk of looking greedy. IPhone has pushed them in that direction unfortunately. The question is how excessive does ones margins have to become before the communities opInion changes for the negative. A $1000 for what amounts to a fat iPod Touch is insane payments or not.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Personally, I feel that the iSlate will be Wi-Fi only. Obviously it would then have a web cam.

Mr Richard, exec at orange says that the size and quality Orange Network is able to support these new usages.

For me this would not be relevant if the tablet did not have 3G capabilities
  • Reply 16 of 100
    Frankly, the guy was speaking more about Orange's 3G maturity, than about Apple's devices. He acknowledged tablet existence just to say once more that their network will stand that. He did not look too much informed, although, he probably is.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palmouf View Post

Here you have the whole interview and the tablet is quoted from 6:20

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbt...eanpierre_news

Thank you kindly.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefyre View Post

I still do not believe it would be a laptop replacement.

It is a portable computing platform, people will judge its value based on what else can solve their problems for them. In otherwords their is no way for Apple to not compete with tablets because that is what people will judge its utility against.

Quote:

That is how most previous tablets have been marketed and it just doesn't work.

You are confusing operating systems with utility. Past tablets gave failed more due to the OS than anything else. Apple may very well overcome the OS / user interface issues, but I still maintain that the tablet will be judged against laptops be potential purchasers. In many cases the question will be which is easier to surf the web and get my E-Mail with.

Quote:

I am under the impression that it will be marketed as something else you will want in your Apple ecosystem. Not a laptop replacement and not a bigger iPod Touch.

Or it could be marketed as both. My point remains that it doesn't matter, potetial buyers will judge it against both.

Quote:

I don't know what that means, but I can't see Apple doing this as a device replacement.

Everything Apple does is a device replacement. Beyound that what can Apple add to a low cost platform to make it the "UN computer". Just like the un-cola of a few years ago it was still a softdrink. In the end that is what the tablet will amount to, it is just another computer but in this case flat.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 100
    Quote:

Dave

How do you know that Apple even considers the Air a flop? Just because it was (also in my opinion) severely overpriced and neither you nor I were compelled to buy one does NOT mean it was necessarily a flop.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Part of Apples problems is that it doesn't see people who worry about payments as part of their market. It actually worries me because while I think it is nice to have solid margins, a company like Apple runs the risk of looking greedy. IPhone has pushed them in that direction unfortunately. The question is how excessive does ones margins have to become before the communities opInion changes for the negative.

why are you worried about apple "looking greedy"? why would you be worried about a "community's opInion" changing for the negative?

do you think their success is built upon not looking greedy?

their success is due to good product,, good service and good marketing of their devices etc.

i care about good hardware & good software, if it's too expensive i won't pay it - simple.

who cares whether the manufacturer is (or looks) greedy????

apple don't care about your reputation, why care about their's?