Support for OpenGL 3.0 added in beta build of Mac OS X 10.6.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
An early beta of the latest maintenance and security update to Apple's Snow Leopard operating system has added significant support for the OpenGL 3.0 graphical application programming interface.

As noted by HardMac, partial support for OpenGL 3.0 was discovered in the first external build of Mac OS X 10.6.3. The update, which also includes crash fixes and targets over 90 components, was released last week.

Though graphics cards in Mac systems have had support for OpenGL 3.0, the cross-platform API did not previously have native support within Snow Leopard. With the latest build of Mac OS X 10.6, 95 percent of the features of OpenGL 3.0 were found to be supported. Only "Shading language version 1.30" was unsupported. In addition, most functions specific to OpenGL 3.0 are not yet present.

Previous versions of OpenGL -- 1.5, 2.0 and 2.1 -- all have 100 percent compatibility. Support for OpenGL 3.1 is said to be at 12 percent, while OpenGL 3.2 is at 33 percent.

Apple has reportedly not yet documented anything on potential OpenGL 3.0 support in Mac OS X 10.6.3. Build 10D522, released last week, was a 665.7MB file that included 221 code corrections to 92 distinct system components. Nearly 60 individual pieces of crash-prone code were said to have been addressed, though four known issues remain with the latest beta.

When it launched in August, Snow Leopard came with GPU optimization built in to the operating system. Apple has supported OpenGL for years, and also introduced OpenCL, both of which aim to take on Microsoft's DirectX API.

Support for OpenGL 2.1 was added in 2007 to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard for its 3D interface. This provided a dramatic increase in OpenGL performance, and also allowed applications to activate hardware acceleration as requested.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    very nice, I am happy about that

read this earlier today concerning why we should use OpenGL

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-...nd-not-DirectX
  • Reply 2 of 69
    I do recall stating somewhere that OpenGL 3.x is soon to arrive. Apple has been heavily active in shaping the OpenGL 3.1 and OpenGL 3.2 specs.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synapticlight View Post

very nice, I am happy about that

read this earlier today concerning why we should use OpenGL

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-...nd-not-DirectX

An interesting read. I wasn't aware of the ID Software open letter. Open Standards will hopefully always exist. I'm not surprised that MS tried (and continues to try) to lock folks into a proprietary standard. It's the bread and butter of Microsoft.

After you wallow in pig shit long enough, you don't even notice the smell...
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I do recall stating somewhere that OpenGL 3.x is soon to arrive. Apple has been heavily active in shaping the OpenGL 3.1 and OpenGL 3.2 specs.

BRAVO MDRIFTMEYER! BRAVO! Thank you SO MUCH for stating somewhere that OpenGL 3.x is soon to arrive. THANK YOU! You are the best!!!! I'm sending you flowers through the mail. Please accept them as a token of my gratitude.

PS THANK YOU!
  • Reply 5 of 69
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

An interesting read. I wasn't aware of the ID Software open letter. Open Standards will hopefully always exist. I'm not surprised that MS tried (and continues to try) to lock folks into a proprietary standard. It's the bread and butter of Microsoft.

and apple doesnt lock you in to its will and its hardware? its no different.

hopefully apple will get some more games coming over with its increased support for openGL.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

and apple doesnt lock you in to its will and its hardware? its no different.

hopefully apple will get some more games coming over with its increased support for openGL.

You mean that same hardware that runs Linux and Windows or OS X? You mean the same hardware that I can buy (or choose not to)? The same hardware that uses Open Standards that will work with OS X, Linux, or Windows?

Try harder next time. Your comparison is severely lacking.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

An interesting read. I wasn't aware of the ID Software open letter. Open Standards will hopefully always exist. I'm not surprised that MS tried (and continues to try) to lock folks into a proprietary standard. It's the bread and butter of Microsoft....

No way supporting Microsoft, but Apple does the same thing using OS X and their hardware.

Just try installing OS X on non-Apple hardware and see how far you get selling them.

Microsoft is a software company that sells some hardware.

Apple is a hardware company that sells some software.

Despite their different business models, they both play in the proprietary arena.

Apple is about as open with their hardware as a clam with lockjaw.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:

You mean that same hardware that runs Linux and Windows or OS X? You mean the same hardware that I can buy (or choose not to)? The same hardware that uses Open Standards that will work with OS X, Linux, or Windows?

Agree, that was a POOR comparison....
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:

you mean the same hardware that is specially formed for a mac? you mean the same hardware that has checks in place so only OSX can install on it?

try harder next time. your comparison is awfully wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Quote:

you mean the same hardware that is specially formed for a mac? you mean the same hardware that has checks in place so only OSX can install on it?

You do realize you can install any other OS you like other than OS X right? Do you even use a Mac?

Do you cry fowl when you buy a Chevrolet, only to find that most Saab parts won't work in it?

Really, was that the best comparison you could come up with?

You do know the difference between hardware and a standard right?
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:

only os X? eh? was sure I had windows on mine (note to self delete ms virus)
  • Reply 12 of 69
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I just got a Bonjour and Remote Desktop update. Whatever that means.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    OMG THANK YOU MDRIFTMEYER!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
  • Reply 14 of 69
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

You must be using different hardware. My mac has vista dual booted on it with no issues. There is no hardware lockout.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You must be using different hardware. My mac has vista dual booted on it with no issues. There is no hardware lockout.

bad explination on my part.

what i meant to say was i can only install OSX on apple branded hardware, not on same components i can purchase off newegg. thats the lockout i meant.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

bad explination on my part.

what i meant to say was i can only install OSX on apple branded hardware, not on same components i can purchase off newegg. thats the lockout i meant.

And? Apple is a hardware manufacturer. They are no different than your Microwave, your Blu-Ray player, your Car Stereo, or your Router. They all come with proprietary software as they are bundled with the hardware. None of these vendors would be required to allow you to use their software in another vendors hardware.

You seem to think Apple and Microsoft are the same. Might I point out that Microsoft doesn't build any PC hardware. It is necessary to the MS business model that their OS software runs on as wide a variety of hardware as possible.

Apple's computers are hardware with software that comes bundled with that hardware. It isn't necessary for them to support any other hardware than their own. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Buy a Dell, and you can't legally transfer the Windows OS from that OEM license to your home built PC.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't make it legal.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    I call BS. OpenGL 4 isn't even out yet, and besides, if they did something like this, someone might try making a game for OS X.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

I call BS. OpenGL 4 isn't even out yet, and besides, if they did something like this, someone might try making a game for OS X.

Who mentioned OpenGL 4? The article says OpenGL 3.0.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is quite a distortion of the reality.

With Apple using open standards, any competitor can use the same tools that Apple uses to create competing products that consumers are free to use. Any one can use UNIX, HTML5, Open GL, Webkit, H.264, AAC and create a product that directly competes with Apple. In fact I think there are two called Android and Palm WebOS that do exactly that.

There is little option for using Microsoft's tools to build products that compete directly against Windows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

No way supporting Microsoft, but Apple does the same thing using OS X and their hardware.

Microsoft is a software company that sells some hardware.

Apple is a hardware company that sells some software.

Despite their different business models, they both play in the proprietary arena.

Apple is about as open with their hardware as a clam with lockjaw.

• Reply 20 of 69
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Here's hoping that Apple can get OpenGL 3.0 support done and dusted soon.

I think that the shading support that is currently lacking is a major portion of the work however, and that could be quite some work. Never mind the functions that the article says are missing. Maybe it won't make it for the next point update, but certainly should for the one after that.

Khronos seem to have OpenGL back on track in terms of development after a long hiatus, and that bodes well for Apple and their systems.