Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Officials at KT, the exclusive provider of the iPhone in South Korea, have allegedly said Apple could debut a new iPhone with an OLED screen, video chat and a removable battery as soon as April.

The Korea Times claimed Tuesday that sources at KT said the new phone would have an organic light-emitting diode (OLED) screen, would feature video chat functionality, and a removable battery is "highly likely." The report also said the new iPhone would include dual-core processors, more powerful graphics capabilities, and a superior camera.

Talks over initial sales have reportedly been under way at KT, which plans to sell the fourth-generation device to corporate clients in April as a "litmus test." Local distributors would allegedly receive the new device in June, which would represent the typical timeframe for an iPhone launch.

The Times quoted a "high ranking KT executive" as saying that Apple and the wireless provider have reached "a broad consensus to introduce the advanced models as early as possible."

If true, multi-core support for the new iPhone would likely come in the form of the new Cortex-A9 processor design from ARM. The new processors are capable of breaking the 2GHz barrier.

Last week, AppleInsider reported that Apple has moved to purchase significant quantities of LED camera flash components. These could be used to improve both picture and quality in low-light situations.

Last year, rumors said Apple was testing RFID swipe support in new iPhone prototypes. Radio-Frequency Identification is a technology that allows a device to sense embedded chips in nearby objects without making direct contact or without visible light. It could allow users to use their phone as a credit card to swipe payments, or to swipe and obtain information from a kiosk.

Recent reports have suggested Apple has supplied a new iPhone 4.0 beta SDK. It is said the developers kit includes a "simulator" that aims to make it easy to adapt applications to different screen resolutions.

A new version of the iPhone could arrive in 2010 to support CDMA networks like Verizon in the U.S. Rumors over the last few months have said Apple has struck a deal to purchase chips from Qualcomm to support CDMA/EVDO carriers. However, there have also been allegations of disagreements between Apple and Verizon over potential handset pricing.

The iPhone debuted in South Korea at the end of November with a successful launch. Apple sold 60,000 iPhones in the handset's debut, representing 15 percent of the 400,000 total smartphones sold in the country in the third quarter of 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 152
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I doubt there will be a removable battery, Apple has gone out of it's way to eliminate removable batteries from it's products and has seen increased battery life as a result.
  • Reply 2 of 152
    Removable battery moves this to the 'Likely BS' bin.
  • Reply 3 of 152
    The "removeable battery" part makes the source uncredible. Everything else sounds pretty spot on.
  • Reply 4 of 152
    Is there an echo in here?
  • Reply 5 of 152
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Officials at KT, the exclusive provider of the iPhone in South Korea, have allegedly said Apple could debut a new iPhone with an OLED screen, video chat and a removable battery as soon as April ...

They're right. This *could* happen.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it though.
  • Reply 6 of 152
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Throwing specs at the rumour sites to see what will stick. Some of them may well be true just by chance, but I don't believe any of it is grounded in genuine knowledge.

Apple do a litmus test? Have they ever?
  • Reply 7 of 152
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    So the new iSlate is actually a 10" iPhone with multi-gesture input, a new closed UI tied to the App Store, a removable battery and designed to replace the MacBook and all their laptops eventually.

Perhaps Apple realized that having a flood of people coming in to change their non-user-serviceable battery wasn't a very good business decision.

One of the cells of my old MacBook Pro battery just swelled out, good thing I breaking in the newer one when it happened. So I'm down to one battery and zero downtime.

However if I had the non-user-serviceable battery, my entire computer would have to go off to LALA LAND and risk being damaged, my private files snooped, my huge music collection copied and even a rootkit installed by people unknown.

Apple should have the storage and battery user-replaceable in all their devices. And of course do something about the awful glare.
  • Reply 8 of 152
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    The "removeable battery" part makes the source uncredible.

• Reply 9 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I doubt there will be a removable battery, Apple has gone out of it's way to eliminate removable batteries from it's products and has seen increased battery life as a result.

I also think this is highly unlikely.
  • Reply 10 of 152
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    This new iPhone better have matte display option or some heads gonna roll.
  • Reply 11 of 152
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    I stopped reading when I saw "removable battery".
  • Reply 12 of 152
    Then tablet thing (if any) is gonna be out in January. Or it's not gonna be out at all. No way it can be lurking inside Apple until March.

I'm not buying iPhone with swappable battery.
  • Reply 13 of 152
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Does the iPhone need a dual core 2GHz processor? Would the power use increase significantly?

OLED - This things are expensive. They do not look much better than comparable LCD. I am not sure about battery consumption. So what is the reason to use such expensive display?
  • Reply 14 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 15 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

However if I had the non-user-serviceable battery, my entire computer would have to go off to LALA LAND and risk being damaged, my private files snooped, my huge music collection copied and even a rootkit installed by people unknown.

...and a side effect of the new case design is that the HD is much more difficult to remove (at least in the MBP) than it was before. My late 2008 MBP wouldn't have this issue because (a) the battery is removable and (b) it takes all of 30 seconds to swap out the hard drive and keep my data safe and sound when I bring it in for repair!
  • Reply 16 of 152
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    April? That sounds like June to me.

Removable battery? Hopefully they use the wiggle space to add more battery!

OLED sounds great. It doesn't need backlighting.

One has to applaud all the competition out there, the empire is about to swipe back

Yay to mobile iChat! The new camera has got to be great as it doesn't make sense to chat to an obscured person.
  • Reply 17 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

You and about a dozen others.

Apple is creating a huge amount of problems for itself by locking the battery down.

They might have realized these problems in certain devices, especially those used in schools like the iSlate is proposed to replace the MacBook.
  • Reply 18 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Perhaps Apple realized that having a flood of people coming in to change their non-user-serviceable battery wasn't a very good business decision.

your typical usage onto millions of others that do not fit your usage category. It clearly is not a bad business decision as the bulk of the batteries that do need replacing will occur well after Apple is footing the bill. I also don't think the problem is all that widespread. It affect some power users but for the most part people manage fine with the juice they have.
  • Reply 19 of 152
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Removable battery?! Does Steve know about this? LOL
  • Reply 20 of 152
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    And if any iPhone carries RFID anything, It will be the first version that neither myself, my family, or anyone in my company even considers purchasing.

Bad enough to be trackable by GPS. RFID is absolutely, ridiculously, unsafe and out of line.