Apple tablet may ship with multi-touch version of iWork

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifterus View Post

It's not going to happen. You need a keyboard (hard or soft) to enter text.

I'll separate this briefly. Firstly Apple - As I said, I think Apple is hoping that with the device they next release, once people are using it they would see having a keyboard as (overall) more as a hindrance than a benefit.

Secondly... I do think it's possible.

[Edit: I do think there's a place for a soft keyboard, just like the iPhone. I believe the iSlate would have one.]

Quote:

Voice recognition has been available for 2 decades and never caught on.

Also note, Tablet PCs and UMPCs without a keyboard have been a failure. While Netbooks with a keyboard have been very successful. Google "Samsung Q1" and maybe you'll understand.

I'm not arguing that Tablet PCs haven't been a failure (except in a couple of niches).

I also firmly believe that if the "iSlate" can run regular MacOSX apps it will DIE a miserable death - it's a clear example of where adding something can kill it. Much as Win16 compatibility of OS2 meant that developers didn't bother making OS2 versions of their apps - but worse as the experience of using the tablet would also be compromised.

You can not possibly put an interface designed from the ground up to assume pervasive use of keyboard and mouse on a device without those (but with work-arounds), and not have users thinking that the device would really be much better if it just had a keyboard and mouse.

Apple's challenge is to recreate the interface (of both the OS and the apps), to such an extent that even though the keyboard might be nice to have occasionally, for most tasks the keyboard gets in the way. They also don't have to do everything a PC does - in fact Apple may define a new feature set that overlaps in some ways, does some new things, and doesn't do some standard PC things.
  • Reply 162 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think the rumor is interesting, but surely there's a better example of a potential gesture vocabulary than "three fingers down and rotate to open an application"?

I mean, how about touching an icon?

How about "A three finger gesture that lets Apple know which employee to give the one finger gesture to". The information is just too specific and weird. It must be designed to flush out a leaker.
  • Reply 163 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disposableidentity View Post

The information is just too specific and weird. It must be designed to flush out a leaker.

Someone posted that the specific example is straight off the website of the company they bought a few years back. As such... very specific, probably historically correct but may have changed significantly over the years, and not a leak-finder.
  • Reply 164 of 172
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Someone posted that the specific example is straight off the website of the company they bought a few years back. As such... very specific, probably historically correct but may have changed significantly over the years, and not a leak-finder.

Yeah, that was me as well. At first I thought someone just pulled it out of their hat, but now I have to assume that someone took a look at the Fingerworks documentation and leapt to some conclusions.

Even if Apple intends to make much more extensive use of the Fingerworks IP then they have to date, it would be very unlike them to just carry forward those gestures wholesale without extensive "Appleification."
  • Reply 165 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you VNC into the iPhone? VNCing into your PC from the iPhone makes sense but I see no need to do it the other way.

Actually you can, but you need to jailbreak. (Obviously having this capability is outside Apple's security model for the iPhone).
  • Reply 166 of 172
  • Reply 167 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'll separate this briefly. Firstly Apple - As I said, I think Apple is hoping that with the device they next release, once people are using it they would see having a keyboard as (overall) more as a hindrance than a benefit.

Secondly... I do think it's possible.

[Edit: I do think there's a place for a soft keyboard, just like the iPhone. I believe the iSlate would have one.]

I'm not arguing that Tablet PCs haven't been a failure (except in a couple of niches).

I also firmly believe that if the "iSlate" can run regular MacOSX apps it will DIE a miserable death - it's a clear example of where adding something can kill it. Much as Win16 compatibility of OS2 meant that developers didn't bother making OS2 versions of their apps - but worse as the experience of using the tablet would also be compromised.

You can not possibly put an interface designed from the ground up to assume pervasive use of keyboard and mouse on a device without those (but with work-arounds), and not have users thinking that the device would really be much better if it just had a keyboard and mouse.

Apple's challenge is to recreate the interface (of both the OS and the apps), to such an extent that even though the keyboard might be nice to have occasionally, for most tasks the keyboard gets in the way. They also don't have to do everything a PC does - in fact Apple may define a new feature set that overlaps in some ways, does some new things, and doesn't do some standard PC things.

Apple sells keyboards and will offer USB/Bluetooth conectivity for people to use a regular keyboard/mouse for this device.

They are adding a new input system while mobile and not stationary.
  • Reply 168 of 172
    Quote:

Sure, keyboards are tacky and annoying. But you can't just say "We don't like them" and magically make it true. Composing emails and messages on Facebook makes up a huge percentage of what people do on a computer.

Never said you can magically make keyboards disliked.

Just that Apple is starting from a position of "touch screen" (and "no keyboard") and designing with that in mind. The soft keyboard will have to be there for certain tasks.

But if you have a touch-centred interface, a physical keyboard can start to become relatively unwanted.

Quote:

I agree a touchscreen is better than a mouse. But the soft keyboard will be needed and far more needed than it is on the iPhone. People might "accept" that. But will they pay more for the "privilege?" I doubt it.

You're not paying for the privilege of having the keyboard hacked off. There are many examples of tablets that failed because that's just what they were. You're paying for the privilege of an advanced interface and touch controls with entirely new interaction methods and focus.

You spoke about the lack of keyboard as if that was a negative. For anyone who needs a keyboard, there is already a product called a laptop. And they've got a long history, they're pretty good, take a look those people don't want a tablet.

Quote:

And I think you're 100% wrong about OSX. If this thing can't run OSX apps then it's a complete joke and most customers will see it as a ridiculous over-sized iPod Touch that costs 3 times more and doesn't even fit in their pocket. I'm certain this will be regular OSX with an added capability to run iPhone apps.

Disagree entirely. That's what MS did with UMPC.

A mixed message with no design focus on the tablet's strengths.
  • Reply 169 of 172
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

So you think the tablet will fit in your pocket and replace your cell phone and iPod? Aren't you brilliant.

What in the blazes are you talking about?
  • Reply 170 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Makes me think many of the gestures are going to be used on the tablet, though on the back. You don?t need those complex gestures on the front. Tap or double-tap is all that is needed open an app if you point at it, no need for 3 fingers and twist.

The listen you have to ignore. Courage is the key, you are the door.
  • Reply 171 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This has all the earmarks of a controlled leak. Sounds ridiculous.

OMG I said the exact same thing.
  • Reply 172 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Oh, and MACTOUCH FTW!!!!!11!!1! booyaaaaaaaaaaaa

I see they are all falling in line now?