AMD 5800 Mobility :: OpenCL ready/DirectX11

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...2010jan07.aspx

Of course, they are OpenGL 3.2 ready and all the HDMI1.3a and Blu-Ray goodies one could want. Just add them with a mini-DisplayPort now that VESA just announced DisplayPort 1.2 at CES and Apple has twice the options with OpenCL/OpenGL 3.2 mobile cards.

Excerpt:

Quote:

Accelerate your mobile performance:
  • The DirectX 11-capable ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series graphics lineup is the first and only notebook graphics technology to support DirectCompute 11, allowing users to take full advantage of Windows 7, the first compute-capable operating system.

• Enjoy new features, functionality and improved performance in top media, entertainment and productivity applications made possible by ATI Stream technology.

• ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 series (and higher) graphics fully support both DirectX 11 and OpenCL™, enabling broad application acceleration support today and tomorrow.

Maximize your mobile lifestyle
  • ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology enables super high resolution panoramic computing for notebooks, allowing mobile users to seamlessly harness up to six monitors for improved gaming, productivity, and entertainment.

• Enjoy enhanced multimedia capabilities through Unified Video Decoder 2 technology, for upscaling beyond 1080p and dual 1080p decoding of Blu-ray video and HD streams.

• Benefit from state-of-the-art home theatre entertainment technologies including HDMI 1.3a Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™, and advanced display quality from HDMI 1.3a Deep Color & x.v.Color for a theater-class entertainment experience.

Dominate your games with DirectX 11:
  • Enjoy intense gaming performance, unrivalled visual quality, and an overall superior HD gaming experience on HD-capable monitors with DirectX 11 (as compared to DirectX® 10.1).

• Realize the ultimate in game compatibility, as the DirectX 11 API was developed on AMD graphics hardware and all initial DirectX 11 games were developed or continue to be developed on AMD’s DirectX 11-capable hardware.

• More than 20 DirectX 11 games are currently in development, with gamers already enjoying the incredible DirectX 11 experience offered by titles such as EA Phenomic’s BattleForge™, GSC Gameworld’s S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat™, and Codemasters’ Colin McRae™: DiRT® 2™.

• The next-generation DirectX 11-capable family of ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series graphics is two generations ahead of DirectX® 10.0 support found in competing mobile graphics solutions.

Exceptional Power Efficiency:
  • Benefit from four times the performance-per-watt efficiency over the last two generations of ATI Mobility Radeon Premium graphics thanks to improved processor design and a new 40nm process

• Experience dramatically lower idle power, saving battery power when the graphics processor isn’t needed

• Next-generation Vari-Bright™ technology used for optimizing notebook display brightness delivers up to 50 percent power savings over the previous generation’s software based approach

• Platform independent graphics switching technology helps to save power while offering efficient switching options

• GDDR5 Advanced Memory Support delivers double the memory bandwidth over previous generation AMD discrete graphics

High Resolution: http://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/...MXM_Angled.jpg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Man, I would love to see a MacBook Pro with that GPU. This year.

With Arrandale & a supreme GPU like this, this may be my largest leap in performance for a laptop ever.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The 5600/5700 series, with 400SPs, is more likely than the full 800SP mobility 5800. Just for heat and power reasons.

(for reference, 400 ATI SPs =~80 Nvidia SPs)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I hope Apple goes for this GPU family big time. By that I mean the big boy here in the 17" and the lesser variants in the rest of the MBP. Then a variant in the Mini and maybe even the iMac.

If nothing else ti should put both NVidia and Intel on notice that Apple isn't happy with the dicking around with the market coming from those two camps. Plus I don't think a user out there would complain.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I hope Apple goes for this GPU family big time. By that I mean the big boy here in the 17" and the lesser variants in the rest of the MBP. Then a variant in the Mini and maybe even the iMac.

If nothing else ti should put both NVidia and Intel on notice that Apple isn't happy with the dicking around with the market coming from those two camps. Plus I don't think a user out there would complain.

Dave

Not to mention that AMD already has OpenCL 1.0 ready drivers on Linux and Windows, plus a sewn up 2.0 SDK with their Streams technologies. They've worked out the kinds for OpenCL in their stacks and having them on-board with Apple knowing these cards are 100% OpenCL certified makes device driver time to market sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not to mention that AMD already has OpenCL 1.0 ready drivers on Linux and Windows, plus a sewn up 2.0 SDK with their Streams technologies. They've worked out the kinds for OpenCL in their stacks and having them on-board with Apple knowing these cards are 100% OpenCL certified makes device driver time to market sooner rather than later.

Another thing that is big with that latest ATI software release is the ability to shuttle the kernels between the ATI and i86 hardware in a heterogeneous way. That is a kernel can be compiled on the fly for execution on either the ATI or Intel hardware depending on system needs. This apparently on all platforms.

ATI might not match the raw hardware ability of NVidia's FERMI when it comes out but the quality and pervasiveness of the software ought to help them out significantly. Besides that all this is done at very low power in the mobile line up. While I'm likely to have my MBP for a while, an Mini built with one of these ATI chips could be very very attractive. That would put a lot of power into that little box, especially with a new Intel processor of some sort. I know that would put a discreet chip in the Mini but it would work wonders and with the higher integration hardware common today it should be very doable.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    This would be great to see in an MBP, though it would likely be relegated to a CTO option for the 17" model. The 15" models & the stock 17" would more likely be equipped with a chip from the 5600/5700 series.

Expect to see these 5800 suckers in the next round of iMacs though. No question there.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Just to be clear, the mobile Radeon 5800 series is not the same chip as the desktop Radeon 5800 series. It's more like the desktop Radeon 5700 (probably the same GPU binned for lower voltage/heat). That's a bit of a name game ATI is playing, but it should still be the most powerful mobile GPU. Nvidia can't yet compete.

Then the mobile Radeon 5700 is the same as the desktop Radeon 5600 (though, again, likely binned for lower voltage/heat and clocked differently).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Another thing that is big with that latest ATI software release is the ability to shuttle the kernels between the ATI and i86 hardware in a heterogeneous way. That is a kernel can be compiled on the fly for execution on either the ATI or Intel hardware depending on system needs. This apparently on all platforms.

ATI might not match the raw hardware ability of NVidia's FERMI when it comes out but the quality and pervasiveness of the software ought to help them out significantly. Besides that all this is done at very low power in the mobile line up. While I'm likely to have my MBP for a while, an Mini built with one of these ATI chips could be very very attractive. That would put a lot of power into that little box, especially with a new Intel processor of some sort. I know that would put a discreet chip in the Mini but it would work wonders and with the higher integration hardware common today it should be very doable.

Dave

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, are you saying that the new ATI chips come with drivers that can dynamically interpret x86 code for execution on the GPU? Or is ATI providing some kind of just-in-time compilation for an interpreted language that compiles to both x86 code and code native to its GPUs?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, are you saying that the new ATI chips come with drivers that can dynamically interpret x86 code for execution on the GPU? Or is ATI providing some kind of just-in-time compilation for an interpreted language that compiles to both x86 code and code native to its GPUs?

No to the dynamic interpretation of x86 code. Yes to Just in Time compilation of the OpenCL kernels for both the GPU and the i86 hardware. I have no idea you the software determines that a piece of code needs to be built for a specific processor though.

However I'm not willing to call this compilation of an interpreted language though. In any event read ATI's latest info. They are in a far better position to describe what the software is capable of. Not also this is for Linux and MS, It is hard to say what is happening with the Apple fold.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Ati seem to be stepping upto the plate GPU wise and the associated software tech' that goes with it.

I'd certainly like to see their improved GPUs in the next round of iMacs.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

No to the dynamic interpretation of x86 code. Yes to Just in Time compilation of the OpenCL kernels for both the GPU and the i86 hardware. I have no idea you the software determines that a piece of code needs to be built for a specific processor though.

However I'm not willing to call this compilation of an interpreted language though. In any event read ATI's latest info. They are in a far better position to describe what the software is capable of. Not also this is for Linux and MS, It is hard to say what is happening with the Apple fold.

Dave

AMD's OpenCL implementation runs code on either Intel or AMD's CPUs. They have the first dual CPU/GPGPU solution out of the gate. Download it at AMD and test it out yourself. You don't need an AMD GPU/CPU to use it.

It doesn't lock you out of Intel CPUs. It targets the SSE3 or greater instruction sets.

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...s/default.aspx

Quote:

Supported Processors:
    • X86 CPU w/ SSE 3.x or later

• Reply 12 of 12
    The problem is I don't have any software projects going that have even a remote need for OpenCL. My interest right now are more of an user as opposed to a programmer and the hope that the software I use frequently will embrace OpenCL. The tech is fascinating. Besides that OpenCL will come into it's own when the GPUs better support multiple threads so that long running OpenCL kernels don't pause your display. Today on many GPUs a demanding OpenCL kernel can do just that.

The interesting question is do the new ATI chips gave that problem?

In any event, right now most of my programming efforts revolve around non graphical Python programs or iPhone software that has no use for OpenCL. Even though I currently have no need for it, I'd love to see OpenCL supported on iPhone and the tablet. If nothing else it means better apps and a wider range of apps.

Now to that ability to run kernels in a heterogenous environment that is what I was refering to above. It would be very interesting indeed to know how well that works. Again no personal plans but it should make for software that degrades gracefully. What is interesting here is that AMD/ATI have risen above intel here with apparently agnostic code generation. That is they avoided intels dirty tricks of cheching the CPU manufacture and programically making their CPUs look good. At least it looks that way right now.

AMD/ATI have really been hitting on all cylinders lately with GPUs and supporting software. They have come a very long way. It almost makes me want to go out and buy an AMD machine.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

AMD's OpenCL implementation runs code on either Intel or AMD's CPUs. They have the first dual CPU/GPGPU solution out of the gate. Download it at AMD and test it out yourself. You don't need an AMD GPU/CPU to use it.

It doesn't lock you out of Intel CPUs. It targets the SSE3 or greater instruction sets.

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...s/default.aspx