Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 152
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I always figured Apple fans had a hard-on for bashing OLED for being not as good as the LCD, especially when its in competing products, but that seems to have changed significantly now.

I noticed this too. It's called fanboyosys.

In my original review of the iPhone after owning it for a very short period in Jan 2008 I specifically mentioned the screen being its weakest link. Well checking back it was more in a comment than specially in my original review. It was about 2 weeks after my original review. I mentioned OLED specifically. The iPhone screen handles blacks terribly, I have noticed this from day one.
  • Reply 122 of 152
    Koreans? Wtf! Since when were they ever in the whole entire Apple rumors all this long? Ha!

Anyways, iChat camera? Nearly impossible, unless wifi helps support.(Which will be a no go for Apple, because it'll most likely be unsuccessful, without the carriers support at the moment. Including verizon too, for you verizon fanboys!!!) Ugh, lame..

And than removable battery? Wtf! That's what got my attention, and thought this whole article is false, and probably from 2006 when iPhone was in development. How about that OLED screen? Seriously.. Might as well just add a projector to the iPhone while we're there. OLED screens hardly saves you enough battery life, and the screen looks real bad in sunlight! I mean, look at the nexus one screen failure..

I'm positively expecting the 5megapixel camera, more video/camera options, glowing/macbook like apple logo, along with flash built in, a higher screen resolution, 7 hours of battery life, and an upgrade to the proccessor, a new design, slimmer design, NO early release, NO iChat, and NO 4G, unless they somehow go with Sprint?.. Oh, and hopeing for NO Verizon!! It'll be the wrong decision. Apple doesn't care about revenue, they know they can already attract new and existing customers with their 4th generation iPhone!

(:
  • Reply 123 of 152
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Right and remember when people used to put a color film over a black and white TV and pretended they had real color?

what is your point?
  • Reply 124 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

Good points, but a replaceable battery means when battery died on 12/22/09, I would have had a usable phone 12/22/09. I am still waiting for my phone. That is a big difference, regardless of swapping batteries, which I happily did two years ago... Everybody has a preference, but holding a charging brick to my phone so I can use it is not appealing in any sense of the word. Pulling a battery out and swapping it means I now have another 10/12 hours of cord free phone use, no cables....

How about, give me a replaceable battery, and let me make the choice over brick or spare battery. Then everybody is happy, provided they can follow the google team and design a nexus style case where you don't have an ugly situation like your picture.

Except that everybody isn?t happy. Apple has never put a removable battery in an iDevice. This dates back to the original iPod which came out with an internal Li-Ion battery when the standard for ?Mp3 players? was to use replaceable ?AA batteries?.

Then we have to consider how often people do have to change their batteries in their iDevices. I?d have to say that the pros clearly outweigh the cons when you look at Apple?s moves, even with their entire notebook line, and the continued uptake of their notebooks and iDevices.

I?ve busted a click wheel and display in my iDevices but never needed to get a new battery. Should everything just slide into place for the off chance that a component might fail or break? Won?t that cause even more problems by increasing cost and making the larger and allowing for even more issues to come up?

Conclusion:

? Apple?s didn?t do in 2001 with the 1st iPod and have moved away for it in their notebooks so expecting it now is not following Occam?s Razor or shaving cream.

? The benefits for the average user outweigh the inconvenience to an unlucky few that do have battery issues.

PS: I use to have two additional batteries for my notebook but was very happy that Apple made them internal which allowed for new tech and a larger capacity giving me no reason to even consider paying for external batteries.
  • Reply 125 of 152
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    OK

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/i...ry/IF137-002-1

Quote:

How about, give me a replaceable battery, and let me make the choice over brick or spare battery. Then everybody is happy, provided they can follow the google team and design a nexus style case where you don't have an ugly situation like your picture.

• Reply 126 of 152
    Quote:

Takes 5 minutes. Of course the next argument will jump back to the inability to change out batteries constantly.

We really need a flow chart of anti-Apple arguments. If If I?m bored at the airport tomorrow I?ll work on that.
  • Reply 127 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

what is your point?

That is Teckstud so it’s a question that can’t be answered.
  • Reply 128 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPhone 4G should have multitasking for radio applications. A tiny hardware light to signify missed text or phone calls. An LED flash for the camera. An OLED screen. And 4G internet connectivity options.

You rally think Apple will include WiMAX in their phone and/or that LTE is up and running in enough markets with power-efficient phone chips on the ready as of last year when this phone was first designed? I don?t see any evidence to support it.

For comparison, Japan isn?t even offering any LTE-based phones until 2011 according to the last report I read. Notebook data cards will come in 2010 but we?re talking a small land area with a much denser population than the US.

Perhaps things have changed, but I?d think that we?d have seen slim LTE phones already being announced and demoed at CES. Instead it was just tablets, notebooks and media extenders.

iPhone X for 2010! \
  • Reply 129 of 152
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

The new processors are capable of breaking the 2GHz barrier.

2GHz barrier? When did we start putting arbitrary barriers?

You might as well say it breaks the 1.2 GHz barrier, as if there were such a thing!
  • Reply 130 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Takes 5 minutes. Of course the next argument will jump back to the inability to change out batteries constantly.

We really need a flow chart of anti-Apple arguments. If If I?m bored at the airport tomorrow I?ll work on that.

Nah, not anti-apple in the slightest. Just anti-disposable devices... Different strokes for different folks. I am amazed at every ones battery life. The only conclusion I can come up with is they don't talk on the phone as much as I do.
  • Reply 131 of 152
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

That is Teckstud so you?re a question that can?t be answered.

i assumed as much
  • Reply 132 of 152
    Quote:

Nah, not anti-apple in the slightest. Just anti-disposable devices... Different strokes for different folks. I am amazed at every ones battery life. The only conclusion I can come up with is they don't talk on the phone as much as I do.

I should made my 2nd sentence a post script. It was not directed toward you in any way.

I do wonder what problems you see with the external battery. It?s still an extra battery you have to carry with you regardless if its internal or external, but it?s often cheaper than the internal battery, only needs to be on while it charges the device, can be charged and powered inline with the internal battery which means never powering off the device. I really see downside to the method that has been employed with iPods for years.

I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air as it doubles the usage and acts as a protective case. I don?t talk on the phone much but I am a heavy internet user with the iPod almost always running in the background. Despite my usage habits I have absolutely no desire to see a removable battery. Too many cons, not enough pluses, which only seem to appear for some off chance that the battery goes bad and I can?t get to an Apple Store to get a new phone handed to me.

I think people haven?t thought it all the way through and are just going off of an old paradigm. People freaked out about removing the floppy drive and they?ll freak out again when Apple removes the optical drive. I even recall one of the more common complaints about the non-removable battery was ?how are you going to reset your phone when it freezes up??, but that seems to have died off quickly after the iPhone was released.
  • Reply 133 of 152
    Screw the iPhone, I want to know what is coming for the 4th Generation iPod Touch with Camera
  • Reply 134 of 152
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Welcome to AI, but this argument is just as bad as iFail’s. Let’s examine what you’ve stated...

You’re saying that having a battery you plug into the bottom of the iPhone to charge it less convenient than opening up your phone taking out the old battery, then replacing the new battery.

No, let's examine what YOU'RE saying. What you and others fail to see however obvious it should be, is that having an extra battery ready in your bag is a HELL OF A LOT more convenient that waiting for when there might be a USB port around or carry one of those fugly iPhone battery extenders which increase your phone length by 30% and defeat the purpose of having a small sleek iPhone. If my battery dies you need a USB port or need to be plugged into to an outlet.

Now THAT is inconvenient. A brand new battery is just that. A new battery. And my iPhone looks the same and I'm not attached to any cables. And the other argument about having an extra piece that might break off is stupid too because most people have a 3rd party cover so you'd never see the battery cover

P.S. Looks like this is the begging of the phasing out of books as we know it. This came in my email. Personally I just threw out about 100 books that have been replaced by iPhone apps. Love it.

• Reply 135 of 152
    Quote:

The only conclusion I can come up with is they don't talk on the phone as much as I do.

Silly boy, that's your problem...the iPhone isn't supposed to be used as a phone. If it were, the sound quality wouldn't be so crappy in a call, and the cell signal wouldn't be so lame.

Just kidding (kind of).

• Reply 136 of 152
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Folks, the rumor clearly states that there will be a "removable battery."

Has anyone noticed that Apple has not shipped a product with a removable battery since oh, I don't know, late 2009??

Bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

I was at WWDC the other year, and someone asked if the Apple Design Award (a cube thing which lights up when you touch it) had a removable battery. It turns out it takes 4 AAs or something. So they're not as completely against them as all that

Amorya
  • Reply 137 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

I was at WWDC the other year, and someone asked if the Apple Design Award (a cube thing which lights up when you touch it) had a removable battery. It turns out it takes 4 AAs or something. So they're not as completely against them as all that

Amorya

While the Apple Design Award uses 4AA batteries, you would have to destroy the award to replace them. They figured out what was inside by CAT scan.
  • Reply 138 of 152
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While the Apple Design Award uses 4AA batteries, you would have to destroy the award to replace them. They figured out what was inside by CAT scan.

Did they? Guess I'm remembering it wrong. I thought someone opened one to check.
  • Reply 139 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

No, let's examine what YOU'RE saying. What you and others fail to see however obvious it should be, is that having an extra battery ready in your bag is a HELL OF A LOT more convenient that waiting for when there might be a USB port around or carry one of those fugly iPhone battery extenders which increase your phone length by 30% and defeat the purpose of having a small sleek iPhone. If my battery dies you need a USB port or need to be plugged into to an outlet.

Now THAT is inconvenient. A brand new battery is just that. A new battery. And my iPhone looks the same and I'm not attached to any cables. And the other argument about having an extra piece that might break off is stupid too because most people have a 3rd party cover so you'd never see the battery cover.

Let me try to break it down into manageable parts?

1) You plug in the batter pack BEFORE the phone dies, when you?re not using it. Try to be proactive in life, not reactive.

2) Might be a USB port around? That makes no sense. The iPhone and other phones power through a USB port. They come with power adapters that push power from a wall socket to a USB port. Any one of these can charge both devices at once. It doesn?t get any easier.

3) Having an extra battery with you defeats the purpose already. If you are going to have an extra battery on you, might as be smart about how you do it.

4) Still not getting it, eh? The battery NEVER has to die. The phone should NEVER be off for the duration you own it, expect for the reboot from OS updates.

5) I NEVER want to take my phone apart to change batteries. I NEVER want my phone to be offline. I NEVER want to have to forego using my phone because I have to have plugged in to charge an additional battery.

6) Finally, you?re right, many use protective covers on these expensive phones so the battery cover falling off won?t happen, but now I have the additional inconvenience of having to remove the cover to switch batteries for extended use and recharging each battery while I?m sleeping. That is soooo convenient!

Seriously, how can you not see that each of those steps to take your phone apart and then again to charge up additional batteries is not convenient? How can you think this is what people want to do over having a larger battery in a small space with a simple inline add-on that can be added before you run into problems.

Scenerio1 : Went out to dinner the other night. Battery down to 30%. Put phone on silent and plugged in additional battery. 15 minutes later it?s up to 85% charged, by end of dinner it?s fully charged with battery pack still with plenty of juice. Put battery pack in console of car and went out with a single charged phone that never had to have the case removed, the back removed just to charge it.

Scenerio 2: Getting home and ready for bed, phone almost dead and 2 additional batteries almost dead.. Have an early start and want to sleep through the night uninterrupted. Plug in batteries to wall or PC, then plug phone into one of those batteries. All batteries, all at once being charged without taking it apart. No late night ?musical battery bay? maneuvering to get me ready for the next day.
  • Reply 140 of 152
    Now that I think about it, I don't have an issue with the internal battery. My real issue is the time it takes to get the battery replaced. I can live without throwing in an extra battery. It would be nice, but not necessary if they had a Apple store battery replacement service similar to getting your oil changed. For example, drop off the phone, hang out or come back in a hour (for out of warranty phones).

At the end of the day, there are going to people that are not comfortable with performing the minor surgery required to change a battery. I am one of them. For those of you that aren't, great, you'll save more money (and obviously less time without your phone) than me!

I think the Mophie is a good alternative to the charging brick I have now. I'll have to take a look at it.

BTW, no optical drive is the only reason I haven't bought the apple TV. I wanted it, but I needed something to play the DVD's I have and the ones I get from Netflix. I could live without it on a PC tho.

Quote:

I should made my 2nd sentence a post script. It was not directed toward you in any way.

I do wonder what problems you see with the external battery. It?s still an extra battery you have to carry with you regardless if its internal or external, but it?s often cheaper than the internal battery, only needs to be on while it charges the device, can be charged and powered inline with the internal battery which means never powering off the device. I really see downside to the method that has been employed with iPods for years.

I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air as it doubles the usage and acts as a protective case. I don?t talk on the phone much but I am a heavy internet user with the iPod almost always running in the background. Despite my usage habits I have absolutely no desire to see a removable battery. Too many cons, not enough pluses, which only seem to appear for some off chance that the battery goes bad and I can?t get to an Apple Store to get a new phone handed to me.

I think people haven?t thought it all the way through and are just going off of an old paradigm. People freaked out about removing the floppy drive and they?ll freak out again when Apple removes the optical drive. I even recall one of the more common complaints about the non-removable battery was ?how are you going to reset your phone when it freezes up??, but that seems to have died off quickly after the iPhone was released.