Google China email breech..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Google Inc. said Tuesday it might end its operations in China after it discovered that the e-mail accounts of human rights activists had been breached.

The company disclosed in a blog post that it had detected a "highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China." Further investigation revealed that "a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists," Google's post said.

Google did not specifically accuse the Chinese government. But the company added that it is "no longer willing to continue censoring our results" on its Chinese search engine, as the government requires. Google says the decision could force it to shut down its Chinese site and its offices in the country.

Google first agreed to censor search results in China in 2006 when it created a version of its search engine bearing China's Web suffix, ".cn." Previously, Chinese-language results had been available through the company's main Google.com site.

To obtain its Chinese license, Google agreed to omit Web content that the country's government found objectionable. At the time Google executives said they struggled with how to reconcile the censorship concessions with the company's motto of "don't be evil." By then Yahoo had come under fire for giving the Chinese government account information of a Chinese journalist who was later convicted for violating state secrecy laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...gle-China.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I wonder how manufacturers of Android phones destined for the Chinese market will feel about that.

I don't know how well an Android phone would work without a Google account.

Quote:

• Reply 2 of 2
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder how manufacturers of Android phones destined for the Chinese market will feel about that.

I don't know how well an Android phone would work without a Google account.

China has been fighting a economic war, leveraging it's most vital asset, the abundance of cheap labor to do so, draining the world of jobs and resources.

The Chinese government only wants foreign companies there long enough to learn their intellectual secrets and then they will be gone.

Google is the first being shown the door. Baidu is already the king search over there and controlled by the Chinese government.

The recent move by Google to no longer censor their search results in China is just designed to find out if the government is done with them or not.

Apple should take note and consider moving it's factories out of China or at least hedge it's bets.

It's just a matter of time before they are shut out of the Chinese market too.

The Chinese iPhone without wifi capability and the Google censoring of search results is basically the same poison pills in different forms.