Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An e-mail sent to members of Intel's Retail Edge promotional program highlight a forthcoming MacBook Pro from Apple sporting a new Core i5 processor, AppleInsider can confirm.

The promotion was included in an e-mail sent out to members of the Intel Retail Edge Program. It reads: "January Prize Draw: Win a MacBook Pro. Pass this month's trainings for 2 chances to win one of 2 MacBook Pro laptops with the accelerated response of an Intel Core i5 processor."

Currently, the top MacBook Pro has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

The Intel Retail Edge Program allows retail employees who sell Intel products to access technical knowledge and sales tips, which allows them to earn "chips" which can be exchanged for products. The program also offers occasional contests and giveaways. It was also sent to Spanish members of the retail program.

Last week at CES, Intel formally introduced its new line of processors, which included the new Core i3, i5 and i7 chips. The mobile Core i5 is considered to be a likely candidate for a coming MacBook Pro refresh.

The new processors are set to improve upon the previous line of Intel's Core 2 Duo chips, which have been utilized in versions of Apple's new MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac. Apple uses the mobile variants of Intel's desktop chips for those systems, meaning machines with chips based on the Arrandale architecture could arrive soon.

Apple is expected to host an event Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco to introduce new products. While most speculation has centered around a tablet being unveiled at the event, Apple could also use it as an opportunity to refresh its MacBook Pro line.

Currently, Apple uses Nvidia chipsets with its Mac lineup. But the architectural changes through Arrandale -- along with an ongoing lawsuit that has forced Nvidia to halt the development of future chipsets -- could make it difficult for Apple to continue with Nvidia.

Earlier this month, the next-gen MacBook Pro chip candidates were benchmarked and found to have better performance than their Core 2 Duo predecessors without a negative impact on battery life. The Arrandale mobile processors employ a 32nm Westmere core paired with a 45nm chipset. The new 35nm chips offer improved speed, better graphics, lower power consumption, and allow motherboards to become smaller.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    "Huge mistake" -- I wouldn't go that far. Everyone knows that MacBook Pros will be getting a Core i3/i5 refresh. So what if it leaked.

It's not as though someone leaked specs/images of the Tablet -- that would be a "huge mistake"
  • Reply 2 of 108
    Why should Intel have a picture of an old MacBook Pro 15" ?

• Reply 3 of 108
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    It looks to me like a stock image of a notebook that just happens to be a MacBook Pro. Probably just a graphic arts team putting together an image without even really knowing what they were looking at.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    yeah, it's time to refresh the Macbook Pro line, everyone knows it. Last time was about half year ago and Apple's refreshed this line twice a year, so it can't be the big attraction of the event, but it's possible that SJ let the "and one more thing" message with the tablet at the end... it's almost like a tv show
  • Reply 5 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

It looks to me like a stock image of a notebook that just happens to be a MacBook Pro. Probably just a graphic arts team putting together an image without even really knowing what they were looking at.

the desktop background is the leopard aurora, not the snow leopard aurora, so i agree with you...

if they were to release new macbook pros they'd come with snow leopard...
  • Reply 6 of 108
    This.

It's a certainty that the i5/i7 mobile chips will be in the new MBP, and that that is coming very soon.

As far as I can see the only "unknowns" are what form the graphics subsystem will take (I'd love to see ATIs mobile 5xxx series in there), and if there'll be any design changes (doubt it).
  • Reply 7 of 108
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The very next computer I will consider purchasing will be something from the i3/i5 family. Hopefully Apple gets on the ball and lets that be a Mac Book Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

the desktop background is the leopard aurora, not the snow leopard aurora, so i agree with you...

OMG!! I never noticed they were different...I had to check it out personally, and by god you're right...it is different than snow leopard!!
  • Reply 9 of 108
    If you zoom in you can see it's an old MBP
  • Reply 10 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxedWine View Post

If you zoom in you can see it's an old MBP

it has a trackpad button for a start... looks like my old faithful one.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Make my day, Apple... I want Intel Core i5 and Blu-ray.
  • Reply 12 of 108
    Partners are the bane of Apple's super-tight info bubble.

They're probably thrilled to own the maker of the chip that'll end up in "The Tablet" - PA Semi.
  • Reply 13 of 108
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    We know Apple is going to refresh their computers with newer Intel processors, that's really no big deal.

Hopefully Apple will consider these improvements to their MacBook Pro line:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

2: Access the faster speeds of the new SDXC cards coming out, so we can boot off the (up to) 2TB SD cards. (speed is about twice of a 7,200 RPM hard drive)

3: Do something about the glare and reflections; better grade of glass, anti-glare film application in the stores or matte options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

4: Hard drive and RAM user removable.

5: Water-resistant keyboards for crying out loud!
  • Reply 14 of 108
    Can't wait to get my hands on an i5 15'MBP with 500gb HD and 8gb RAM. Would prefer a 13' i5 500gb/8gb but doesn't look like Apple will high end the 13' model. I hope I'm wrong.

Was going to buy a current one until these rumors surfaced.

[edit: i7= even better]
  • Reply 15 of 108
    I sure as HELL dont want a Intel GPU in my Macbook Pro!

I know that they can still do the Intel chipset with a Nvidia GPU, but can they do the SLI (9400 + 9600) like the current Generation?
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoids View Post

Make my day, Apple... I want Intel Core i5 and Blu-ray.

No BlueRay, it's very twitchy, I'm on my second BlueRay machine already.

The BR-DVD's are extremely sensitive, develop unseen cracks and then refuse to play. Most likely has to do with the fine detail required on the disks and the laser mechanics etc. giving it little room for error, can't handle temperature changes, user stress etc.

Also there is DRM baggage associated with BlueRay that is twitchy as well, Sony could just brick the BlueRay drive if the DRM is broken. A lawsuit against Sony is in the works for PS3's BlueRays were bricked over a update, it's suspected the DRM was broken or machines id codes or something was stolen, so to protect the content, PS3's were bricked.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Macbook Pro's have a separate powered Superdrive as a paid option, figuring people would rather use the SD slot instead.

But Apple has to increase the higher access speed to the SD slot for the new SDXC cards coming.

Imagine booting off the SDXC card FASTER than a 7,200 RPM hard drive! Yep, it's that fast.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I'm hitting the snooze button on this one...
  • Reply 18 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

3: Do something about the glare and reflections; better grade of glass, anti-glare film application in the stores or matte options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

Please Apple give us a MATTE option across the entire MacBook Pro line from the start (including 13" models)!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azentropy View Post

Please Apple give us a MATTE option across the entire MacBook Pro line from the start (including 13" models)!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, however LCD makers like making glossy because it eliminates a matte film application step, also the rest of the PC industry (say cheap) is doing it too, which makes the volume for matte applied screens rather low.

That's why any of the few matte screens Apple uses are a costly extra.

Visit MacMatte.com to add your opinion to the online petition for matte screens (or a solution to the glare and reflections)
  • Reply 20 of 108
    Quote:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

2: Access the faster speeds of the new SDXC cards coming out, so we can boot off the (up to) 2TB SD cards. (speed is about twice of a 7,200 RPM hard drive)

There is enough space in the iMac for a spring-loaded SD card slot, but definitely not in the 13in MBP and possibly even the 15in MBP.

As for SDXC compatibility, memory card makers have been slow in introducing these card due to the end of the digital camera megapixel race.http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...pixel-race.ars

Quote:

4: Hard drive and RAM user removable.

I believe both RAM modules and HDDs are use removable in the current generation of MBP, although the procedures were slightly simpler in MBPs with removable batteries.