Citrix debuts GoToMyPC remote access software built for Mac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The latest version of GoToMyPC, announced Wednesday by Citrix Online, has been custom built for Mac OS X, aiming to better accommodate those using the remote access software on an Apple machine.

Through GoToMyPC version 7.0, customers will be able to have universal access to remote machines, whether they are running Windows or Mac OS X. According to IDC, Citrix is the global revenue leader for remote access software, with a share of more than 70 percent of the market.

"With this new release, we're giving Mac users what they've been asking for -- a reliable remote access service built specifically for the Mac," said Brett Caine, general manager of Citrix Online. "For the large and growing Mac community, they can rest assured of finally having a remote access service that works as advertised from the most trusted name in the category."

GoToMyPC is a part of Citrix Online's Web-based software that includes GoToMeeting, GoToWebinar, and GoToAssist. Through GoToMyPC, users can access files, computer programs, e-mail and their company's network on a Mac or PC. Users install software and obtain access by logging in to the official Web site.

Users who want to access only a single computer can subscribe to the one computer plan at a cost of $19.95 per month, or save 25 percent and sign up for the $179.40 annual plan. A subscription for two computers runs $29.95 per month, or $269.40 per year. Professional and corporate plans are also available.

A subscription to GoToMyPC comes with no setup costs, free software and service upgrades, and 24/7 free technical support and maintenance.

To get the latest Mac-compatible version of GoToMyPC, buy it now from Citrix Online, or try it free for 30 days. Citrix is also offering customers a $10 off coupon when signing up for the service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    I'm not sure I understand why someone would invest in this with cloud computing all the rage these days (e.g., Google Docs). In either case you're sending information over a connection, requiring encryption for sensitive stuff. I don't know why I would pay when there are cheaper (free in some cases) options available. This seems a venture following the same demise that AOL went down years ago for the same reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    LogMeIn's free basic service + a free dropbox account was all I needed when I was working from home for 6 weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Can't you already do this mac to mac
  • Reply 4 of 41
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Obviously this is not needed for Mac to Mac users since OS X 10.5/6 has Remote Desktop already built in for free. But I guess it's good if you need to remotely connect to a Windows machine.

Regardless, I wouldn't pay that $19.95 a month to connect to any machine. I would do without.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    LogMeIn has No competition from my perspective.

I now manage/can-log-into (11) computers from my one FREE account. The (11) are a blend of Mac's and PC's.

It has always worked perfectly, allowing me to help friends & family, with all their computer questions/issues.

I can log in from ANY internet connected computer (Mac or PC), from anywhere.

My Dad, who normally has his laptop in NJ, has traveled to South America and Europe. I have, without any issue whatsoever, logged into his computer, when he's connected at Hot spots, hotel's, and friend's homes in those countries, "instantly" and "securely".

Plus, I have LogMeIn on my iPhone, allowing me to do the very same.

Perfection!!
  • Reply 6 of 41
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I'm not sure I understand why someone would invest in this with cloud computing all the rage these days (e.g., Google Docs). In either case you're sending information over a connection, requiring encryption for sensitive stuff. I don't know why I would pay when there are cheaper (free in some cases) options available. This seems a venture following the same demise that AOL went down years ago for the same reasons.

I think you'll find that they are only offering this solution because they are the world leaders and their existing customers are asking for this capability. Whether anyone else needs it, or whether anyone switches from any of the many other options is probably irrelevant to this products development.

What I think is really funny is the giant "send Ctrl-Alt-Del" button.

Crashing out of a stuck program is apparently so common on windows that they needed to add a giant button to the UI to accommodate it.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Obviously this is not needed for Mac to Mac users since OS X 10.5/6 has Remote Desktop already built in for free. But I guess it's good if you need to remotely connect to a Windows machine.

Regardless, I wouldn't pay that $19.95 a month to connect to any machine. I would do without.

Exactly, there has been free remote access software and methods that has been doing this for years now.

Even from a Windows machine one can remote access a Mac.

http://murphymac.com/chicken-of-the-vnc/

The only thing I can think that this would serve as a emergency method and your at a Windows PC with browser capability only.

But then you need software installed on the Mac, violating your security all the time while you wait for the emergency or remote access in either case.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    If this were really "built specifically for the Mac", wouldn't it be called GoToMyMac?

Edit: So I just checked, and GoToMyMac.com redirects to GoToMyPC's Mac page.

I think maybe they are so in love with the original name that they are missing a huge marketing opportunity? They don't realize the name may alienate many Mac users?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Crashing out of a stuck program is apparently so common on windows that they needed to add a giant button to the UI to accommodate it.

I get what you're saying, but even RDP has a way to do this. It's because the PC you are on interprets the Ctrl-Alt-Del locally (by design, not to say it's a good design) so you have to have a way to send a Ctrl-Alt-Del to remote box to accomplish certain things beyond just shutting down a hung program.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If this were really "built specifically for the Mac", wouldn't it be called GoToMyMac?

Whether you like it or not, a Mac is still a Personal Computer

And, regarding the article, as others have already pointed out, LogMeIn's FREE service rules.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Why would you want to use this THIRD Party software when you can get the same thing and supprted by Apple with a MobileMe account using back to my Mac? Works extremely well and I have never had a problem.

Bonus, you can get a MobileMe subscription at discount on Amazon
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It has nothing to do with stuck programs. You need to be able to send Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the password box for logging in.

I love the Mac but one thing that Windows and Linux have all over the Mac is the capability to have multiple live GUI desktops. With the Mac there can only be one active at a time. So if I need to remote into my home Mac and my wife happens to be on it, she'll have to stop what she's doing as I take over, switch to my account and do what I need. On Linux or Windows the person sitting at the keyboard would never even know I was there.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I get what you're saying, but even RDP has a way to do this. It's because the PC you are on interprets the Ctrl-Alt-Del locally (by design, not to say it's a good design) so you have to have a way to send a Ctrl-Alt-Del to remote box to accomplish certain things beyond just shutting down a hung program.

Exactly, you need to be able to do this just to bypass the screen saver and get to the login prompt.

How does this service differ from the "Back to my Mac" function in MobileMe? As a single Mac family I have yet to try this feature.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Can't you already do this mac to mac
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

Whether you like it or not, a Mac is still a Personal Computer

I think most Mac users differentiate themselves from the PC:

Mac: Mac OS on Mac hardware.

PC: Windows, Linux, Windows under BootCamp on a Mac.

Gray area: Hackintosh.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    LOL @ $19.95/month
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

LOL @ $19.95/month

You can use Leopard Screen Sharing for FREE to connect to Macs.

If you need to remotely connect to Windows PCs, Microsoft makes a Remote Desktop Connection Client for the Mac. Again FREE.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

LogMeIn has No competition from my perspective.

Unless they manage to one-up LogMeIn when it comes to performance, but I can't imagine this happening on their first release, especially considering LogMeIn's improved performance after the October update.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

You can use Leopard Screen Sharing for FREE to connect to Macs.

If you need to remotely connect to Windows PCs, Microsoft makes a Remote Desktop Connection Client for the Mac. Again FREE.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/

But what about accessing our Macs from PCs?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    BTW, glad to see this having universal binary support, for our PowerPC inclined brethren.