Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

We know Apple is going to refresh their computers with newer Intel processors, that's really no big deal.

Hopefully Apple will consider these improvements to their MacBook Pro line:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

2: Access the faster speeds of the new SDXC cards coming out, so we can boot off the (up to) 2TB SD cards. (speed is about twice of a 7,200 RPM hard drive)

3: Do something about the glare and reflections; better grade of glass, anti-glare film application in the stores or matte options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

4: Hard drive and RAM user removable.

5: Water-resistant keyboards for crying out loud!

How about USB 3?
  • Reply 42 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I can sense it now. Steve Jobs will begin the keynote with "So today we're going to talk about portables" and he will talk about how sales are up, etc. Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook. Then when we think all is over, he will say....oh...and one more thing.... .....and announce the iSlate and everyone will go

Um...why would Apple drop the MacBook that they just updated? Maybe in the long run the tablet will replace the MacBook but not now, not immediately.

I CAN see Apple announcing that they are lowering the price on the MacBook and pricing the tablet between that and the MBP (especially if the $1,000 rumor is true).
  • Reply 43 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

2TB SDXC cards wont be hitting the market for quite sometime. The best you can get in the near term is 64 GB. By the time they hit their theoretical max of 2 TB, we will be talking about the next iteration of SD cards. SDXC support should be there though, since that is what the new cards are going to be.

Also, doesn't the SD card run on the slow USB bus? It's little more than an internal USB flash drive. The SD card slot, in its current incarnation, is a joke. A year ago, anyone asking for a SD card slot on these forums was dismissed ("that's for Dells"). Then Apple introduces them, and it's "Hallelujah!"

Bring back the ExpressCard! Put the "Pro" back into the Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I don't think any of the existing i7 dell notebooks are arrandale. I think they're all still clarksfield.

I will be really disappointed if there isn't a version of the mbp 15 with an i7 arrandale.

The Core-i7s being used are 45nm Quad-core Clarksfeilds and they are way to hot and power hungry to be a good fit.

I do suspect Apple will use Core-i7 in their flagship MBP builds. Besides having the marketing clout, it uses the same µPGA-989 socket as the other Cores Apple would use and they usually use the best chips in the TDP category, which in this case is likely 35W.

PS: Now we get people claiming that Dell and HP had Core-i7 6 months before Apple did without actually understanding the rudimentary differences in chips. Gonna be fun, fun, fun!
  • Reply 45 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

"Huge mistake" -- I wouldn't go that far. Everyone knows that MacBook Pros will be getting a Core i3/i5 refresh. So what if it leaked.

Actually the public does not KNOW. Even the geeks on places like this don't KNOW. Until Apple says it themselves it's still a rumor. A strong rumor perhaps but a rumor.

however given the lawsuit etc, it seems very likely. It fits with Apple's general history quite nicely

but even if it is a done deal, Apple is not going to be pleased that the information got out before they said anything. So yes it was a mistake. And the persons that passed on those emails will, if discovered, be in trouble. Depending on their contracts, etc they could even be fired over it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxedWine View Post

Why should Intel have a picture of an old MacBook Pro 15" ?

I suspect that this was a mockup done by some internal group that wanted it ready to send out the moment that Apple announces new laptops (assuming that it could be this rumored Jan event and not June like last year) and someone hit send instead of save.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoids View Post

Make my day, Apple... I want Intel Core i5 and Blu-ray.

don't hold your breath over the blu-ray. Apple keeps pushing downloads and streams and blu-ray would cut into the ITunes store sales.

The best we might get is software support for a third party external, maybe. but switching to an internal drive seems less likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

dell already have i7 in the studio 15" so I think the MBP could be i7 too.

yeah, cause Apple always copies what the other boys do.

Quote:

Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook.

You forgot the part where they are dropping the prices of the MBPs and now the base 13 inch is a only $50 more than the MacBook was. with bumps to the specs.

oh and they are dropping the Macbook Air cause it is total dead weight (not that they will use that term) since it never really had the power to be more than a netbook but the price was way too high.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

No BlueRay, it's very twitchy, I'm on my second BlueRay machine already.

The BR-DVD's are extremely sensitive, develop unseen cracks and then refuse to play. Most likely has to do with the fine detail required on the disks and the laser mechanics etc. giving it little room for error, can't handle temperature changes, user stress etc.

Also there is DRM baggage associated with BlueRay that is twitchy as well, Sony could just brick the BlueRay drive if the DRM is broken. A lawsuit against Sony is in the works for PS3's BlueRays were bricked over a update, it's suspected the DRM was broken or machines id codes or something was stolen, so to protect the content, PS3's were bricked.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Macbook Pro's have a separate powered Superdrive as a paid option, figuring people would rather use the SD slot instead.

But Apple has to increase the higher access speed to the SD slot for the new SDXC cards coming.

Imagine booting off the SDXC card FASTER than a 7,200 RPM hard drive! Yep, it's that fast.

I haven't had a single problem with any of the 30 or so BR movies I've purchased for my PS3, which has had no problem playing them. They look great, and I would never go back to DVD.

I just bought the new Pioneer BR205 internal for my Mac Pro ($209.95 at Newegg, no tax, no shipping vs $259.95 at the usually overpriced OWC, another thing on that later). That also works great, though, of course, I can't watch BR movies through my Mac (yet!).

About OWC. While I've bought from them over the years, I find them to be overpriced on a lot of items.

This drive, for example, is $249.95 in a version for Mac or PC. What makes it so I don't know. But for the Mac Pro, they add another $10.

Now, I know that for the PC, you get three programs. One to write BR disks. One to play them, and I forget what the third is for. Thse are given away with just about every BR burner for PC's. It's the basic package.

So, ok, you figure that OWC would give an LE version of Toast with the "Mac Pro Ready" version for $10 more, right?

Nope! No Mac software. What do they say you get? Cables to install this in a Mac Pro. Well... If you have a Mac Pro, yo know that you don't NEED any cables! The cable is already in the machine for the second optical (or other) drive.

I chose instead to save the $50 and buy from my favorite vendor, Newegg. Oh, yeah, OWC also charges shipping.

So I got the OEM version for the $209.95, which included the PC software again.

I have no idea what OWC thinks it's doing here. What would we do with those cables (if indeed they include them)? And as others do include Toast LE at times, why not them?

Also a spindle of 15 BR disks cost $35. Prices are coming down, and are comparable to dual layer DVD disks when one counts how many DVD's they would need (actually, it's MORE expensive using the DL DVD's for the full 25 GB of data, not to speak of the hassle).
  • Reply 47 of 108
    Quote:

I can sense it now. Steve Jobs will begin the keynote with "So today we're going to talk about portables" and he will talk about how sales are up, etc. Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook. Then when we think all is over, he will say....oh...and one more thing.... .....and announce the iSlate and everyone will go

No way they are dropping the Macbook. No way.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Indeed, I just bought a new Canon T1i and only got a 20MB/s SDHC card instead of the 30MB/s available because the faster ones cost almost twice as much and the camera doesn't need it. I can already take 9+ 15.1Mp RAW shots in rapid succession (2-3 a second) or record in HD video straight to the card. And 15.1Mp pushes the limit of physics for an APS-C sensor size.

Unless you get cheaper full-frame sensors in mid-range cameras and push up the sensor size in the smaller cameras, more megapixels just means more grainy noise and image size with zero increase in quality.

Check out the reviews for the new 7D. 18.5 MP, better noise. Better contrast and dynamic range. Greater sharpness, except where the reviewer used a cheap lens to do the sharpness tests, need the pro lenses for this one.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Also, doesn't the SD card run on the slow USB bus? It's little more than an internal USB flash drive. The SD card slot, in its current incarnation, is a joke. A year ago, anyone asking for a SD card slot on these forums was dismissed ("that's for Dells"). Then Apple introduces them, and it's "Hallelujah!"

Bring back the ExpressCard! Put the "Pro" back into the Macbook Pro.

Agreed!
  • Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Also a spindle of 15 BR disks cost $35. Prices are coming down, and are comparable to dual layer DVD disks when one counts how many DVD's they would need (actually, it's MORE expensive using the DL DVD's for the full 25 GB of data, not to speak of the hassle).

How would it cost for a USB flash drive over the cost of the Blu-ray drive plus the cost of comparable capacity? That doesn?t include burn issues, power usage or read/write speeds, for which NAND easily wins. The only real benefit to optical media is inherent EMP protection, but I dont? know of many consumers caring about that.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someone00 View Post

There is enough space in the iMac for a spring-loaded SD card slot, but definitely not in the 13in MBP and possibly even the 15in MBP.

Won't happen. Why? Because putting in spring loading increases the failure rate - the more moving, mechanical parts you have the more things will get stuck, go wrong, etc. Apple's entire design ethos is to remove as many moving parts as possible, to reduce failure rate (and thus its own support costs).

Even a 0.1% additional failure rate costs Apple money in terms of warranty fixes, so it's not going to happen.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    BTW, this story is just lame. Intel hasn't confirmed jack. Some marketing droid who doesn't know what processor the MBP currently has writes a flyer and AI gets its knickers in a twist. Stupid link bait.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    I was hoping for new MacBook Pros in October, but I couldn't wait any longer, so I got an 18'4" HP with a Core i7 chip instead. And it also has an LED screen, 8GB of RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HDD, Blu-Ray, eSata, HDMI and a fingerprint reader, all for $1400. I wish the keyboard was back-lit though.

P.S. I'm no Win or Mac fanboy, I use both for different reasons, just frustrated they didn't do a refresh sooner.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someone00 View Post

But Intel IGPs are useful for conserving battery life and higher end MBPs all come with discrete GPUs (so no need for a powerful IGP). Hopefully, the motherboard space saved by Arrandale will allow Apple to add a discrete GPU to lower end MBPs.

Arrandale's IGPs also support hybrid SLI and crossfire, if only Apple would add proper support for dynamic and automatic switching between the IGP and the discrete GPU.

I'm pretty sure Hybrid SLI and Hybrid CrossFireX only work with chipsets from nvidia and AMD, respectively. Neither of them will work with Intel IGPs.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Core-i7s being used are 45nm Quad-core Clarksfeilds and they are way to hot and power hungry to be a good fit.

I do suspect Apple will use Core-i7 in their flagship MBP builds. Besides having the marketing clout, it uses the same µPGA-989 socket as the other Cores Apple would use and they usually use the best chips in the TDP category, which in this case is likely 35W.

PS: Now we get people claiming that Dell and HP had Core-i7 6 months before Apple did without actually understanding the rudimentary differences in chips. Gonna be fun, fun, fun!

It looks like Lenovo is the only OEM with models using Arrandale Core i7s. It's available in their new T410 and T510 models (well, on their website anyway, no idea if they are shipping yet.) This could get pretty confusing, their W series uses the Clarksdale quad core Core i7s while their T series uses the Arrandale dual core Core i7s. I guess people will just need to pay attention to the little "Q" after the processor model number.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

It looks like Lenovo is the only OEM with models using Arrandale Core i7s. It's available in their new T410 and T510 models (well, on their website anyway, no idea if they are shipping yet.) This could get pretty confusing, their W series uses the Clarksdale quad core Core i7s while their T series uses the Arrandale dual core Core i7s. I guess people will just need to pay attention to the little "Q" after the processor model number.

People won?t. Even Gizmodo posted about Asus new 12 hour laptop. They commented about how it?s remarkable that they are getting it out of Core-i7 yet they didn?t mention the machine uses an 18W Core-i7 (less than the MacBook Air when you include the Northbridge in Penryn) and that it uses a 5600mAh battery (which I think is larger than even a MBP battery).

I really wish Intel would be less confusing with their nomenclature. It?s easy to mess up Clarksdale and Clarkfeild.
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Quote:

We know Apple is going to refresh their computers with newer Intel processors, that's really no big deal.

Hopefully Apple will consider these improvements to their MacBook Pro line:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

2: Access the faster speeds of the new SDXC cards coming out, so we can boot off the (up to) 2TB SD cards. (speed is about twice of a 7,200 RPM hard drive)

3: Do something about the glare and reflections; better grade of glass, anti-glare film application in the stores or matte options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

4: Hard drive and RAM user removable.

5: Water-resistant keyboards for crying out loud!

i just got a new MBP. long story, but I needed one and couldn't wait.

#5 above is just begging to happen. Actually, the whole machine is so close to water resistant it's painful. It appears to me that in the past apple has "fixed" fundamental design flaws with laptops in order to save themselves money b/c of easily broken parts (aluminum vs plastic case, magsafe, magnetic latch). The next sensible thing would be a design that avoids laptop destruction from a small spill.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Summary: Newegg vs OWC.

I generally order from Newegg, but I've been a customoer of OWC many times over the years. Generally, i like OWC. They benchmark apple products and Larry the owner has been known to respond to emails. There is something nice about an outfit that does that.

Not to mention the fact that in the days of g4 upgrades, they were really pushing people to make them.

On the topic of price - I'd imagine that Newegg gets really good pricing from wholesale b/c of the massive volume they ship.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Actually the public does not KNOW. Even the geeks on places like this don't KNOW. Until Apple says it themselves it's still a rumor. A strong rumor perhaps but a rumor.

however given the lawsuit etc, it seems very likely. It fits with Apple's general history quite nicely

but even if it is a done deal, Apple is not going to be pleased that the information got out before they said anything. So yes it was a mistake. And the persons that passed on those emails will, if discovered, be in trouble. Depending on their contracts, etc they could even be fired over it.

I suspect that this was a mockup done by some internal group that wanted it ready to send out the moment that Apple announces new laptops (assuming that it could be this rumored Jan event and not June like last year) and someone hit send instead of save.

don't hold your breath over the blu-ray. Apple keeps pushing downloads and streams and blu-ray would cut into the ITunes store sales.

The best we might get is software support for a third party external, maybe. but switching to an internal drive seems less likely.

yeah, cause Apple always copies what the other boys do.

You forgot the part where they are dropping the prices of the MBPs and now the base 13 inch is a only $50 more than the MacBook was. with bumps to the specs.

oh and they are dropping the Macbook Air cause it is total dead weight (not that they will use that term) since it never really had the power to be more than a netbook but the price was way too high.

I certainly hope they don't drop the MBA; it's been my dream machine, but is too slow and short on ram; give me a 15" MBA with 4 Gb of ram and a 256 SSD and I'm a happy bunny
  • Reply 60 of 108
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

It looks to me like a stock image of a notebook that just happens to be a MacBook Pro. Probably just a graphic arts team putting together an image without even really knowing what they were looking at.

When using Logic my goal is to have a laptop that never requies freezing a track with unlimited plug-INS and soft synth

instruments.