Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

BTW, no optical drive is the only reason I haven't bought the apple TV. I wanted it, but I needed something to play the DVD's I have and the ones I get from Netflix. I could live without it on a PC tho.

But an optical drive on AppleTV goes against everything the AppleTV was meant to be: an extender of your iTunes digital content onto the living room TV, and a way to get you to move from the physical movie medium of DVD to electronic delivery.
  • Reply 142 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Now that I think about it, I don't have an issue with the internal battery. My real issue is the time it takes to get the battery replaced. I can live without throwing in an extra battery. It would be nice, but not necessary if they had a Apple store battery replacement service similar to getting your oil changed. For example, drop off the phone, hang out or come back in a hour (for out of warranty phones).

At the end of the day, there are going to people that are not comfortable with performing the minor surgery required to change a battery. I am one of them. For those of you that aren't, great, you'll save more money (and obviously less time without your phone) than me!

That is the ONLY valid argument for making a user-removable battery. It is an inconvenience to be without your phone for 2 days if the battery dies. Apple is quick to send you a box and return it, but it still means no phone and you should also back up then wipe your phone before shipping just to be safe. Fortunately for us this type of issue is not common. For the few unlucky people it sucks but most of use will never have a bad Li-Poly-Ion battery.

Quote:

I think the Mophie is a good alternative to the charging brick I have now. I'll have to take a look at it.

What charging brick do you have? The simple way to have an extra battery with an iPhone is to just plug it into your computer at night or use the very small wall socket plug that came with the phone. Whatever method you use it should just be one cable to charge both the external and internal batteries.

Quote:

BTW, no optical drive is the only reason I haven't bought the apple TV. I wanted it, but I needed something to play the DVD's I have and the ones I get from Netflix. I could live without it on a PC tho.

I don?t see it coming for many reasons and you can get one cheaper than Apple would charge for their ultra-slim, slot-laoding drives that they like to use. You can get Blu-ray drives for $100, but they are pretty bad.

If you really want a media extender Popcorn Hour has released new products, one even comes with a Blu-ray player. It?s does what it does very well. Now they just need to learn to access the iTunes DB to make it more AppleTV-like.
  • Reply 143 of 152
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

So the new iSlate is actually a 10" iPhone with multi-gesture input, a new closed UI tied to the App Store, a removable battery and designed to replace the MacBook and all their laptops eventually.

You're like a more annoying version of Ireland...
  • Reply 144 of 152
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

No, let's examine what YOU'RE saying. What you and others fail to see however obvious it should be, is that having an extra battery ready in your bag is a HELL OF A LOT more convenient that waiting for when there might be a USB port around or carry one of those fugly iPhone battery extenders which increase your phone length by 30% and defeat the purpose of having a small sleek iPhone. If my battery dies you need a USB port or need to be plugged into to an outlet.

Now THAT is inconvenient. A brand new battery is just that. A new battery. And my iPhone looks the same and I'm not attached to any cables. And the other argument about having an extra piece that might break off is stupid too because most people have a 3rd party cover so you'd never see the battery cover

Except I have one extra battery for my iphone, my wife's ipod (usb to 30pin dock), cell phone (mini-usb) and any other device that runs/charges off USB.

Inconvienent is lugging around two spare batteries for two different cell phones (if I didn't have an iPhone it would be a crackberry and she'd still have a variety of phones she occasionally breaks or loses...) because I'm the one that ends up with them in my pocket or backpack.

Inconvienent is ending up with a bunch of spare batteries for electronics you don't have or use anymore. I get to reuse my external pack for any other USB compatible phone I get. I don't have to buy a spare battery or two when I buy my phone anymore.

Inconvienent is not being able to borrow my wife's larger battery pack when I take a long flight and use my iPhone as my entertainment device.

The lack of a replaceable battery is a non-issue for most folks given the extenders, external packs and AA packs that all do USB or 30 pin dock connectors.
  • Reply 145 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Except I have one extra battery for my iphone, my wife's ipod (usb to 30pin dock), cell phone (mini-usb) and any other device that runs/charges off USB.

An excellent point I overlooked. How man devices out there can be charged through a single external battery or cable for 8 years running?
  • Reply 146 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

But an optical drive on AppleTV goes against everything the AppleTV was meant to be: an extender of your iTunes digital content onto the living room TV, and a way to get you to move from the physical movie medium of DVD to electronic delivery.

Hahaha, which is fine, they just won't sell me one!
  • Reply 147 of 152
    Quote:

Hahaha, which is fine, they just won't sell me one!

Do you not use a DVD now, or would like to have two DVD players?

What about those that don?t want a DVD player when they already have one or simply don?t watch DVDs, like me? There is surely more loss of sales from people not wanting to pay for items they won?t use than those not wanting to pay for an item that doesn?t try to do everything.

What about those that just want Blu-ray? Should Apple make 3 AppleTVs to suit everyone?s needs? I don?t think so.

I?d say the best method is to use the USB port to have an additional device that stacks the AppleTV with an optical drive. But does it go on bottom so inserting discs is tough or does it go on the top but with some sort of thick spacer so that the top can still dissipate heat effectively?

How much will this cost? Apple likes to do thin and we know that thin, slot-loading drives are more expensive. Even fat tray-loading drives of any quality are more expensive than the entire Blu-ray player you can by these days. So you are looking at an additional price likely close to the cost of a PS3, which can work on little to no HW profit since it?s a game console first-and-foremost, likely making up loses from game development licenses and sales kickbacks.

How does this affect Apple?s push for making digital downloads a viable market? Wouldn?t an ODD go against model while also increasing the device?s price, while also pushing away more buyers who simply don?t want another DVD or Blu-ray player in their entertainment center?
  • Reply 148 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you not use a DVD now, or would like to have two DVD players?

Nah, I have one, but I wanted to move it another room. That opened the door to getting another DVD player, or something more useful that could play my existing collection, music, etc. Apple fit the bill, but couldn't play the existing stuff so I didn't want to have two devices, which uses another mode on the receiver which adds more programming to the remote, etc. I ended up using an old box, put window's media center on it and it works for now.

Quote:

What about those that don?t want a DVD player when they already have one or simply don?t watch DVDs, like me? There is surely more loss of sales from people not wanting to pay for items they won?t use than those not wanting to pay for an item that doesn?t try to do everything.

I don't know enough about the general Apple TV market to comment...

Quote:

What about those that just want Blu-ray? Should Apple make 3 AppleTVs to suit everyone?s needs? I don?t think so.

Depends on their goals, again, I don't know enough to say.

Quote:

I?d say the best method is to use the USB port to have an additional device that stacks the AppleTV with an optical drive. But does it go on bottom so inserting discs is tough or does it go on the top but with some sort of thick spacer so that the top can still dissipate heat effectively?

I think that would work. The USB drive could also be a thumbdisk, etc. Just had a guy at the office buy a device that only plays videos off of usb drives. I didn't even realize there would be a market big enough to warrant the R&D effort for something so limited!

Quote:

How does this affect Apple?s push for making digital downloads a viable market? Wouldn?t an ODD go against model while also increasing the device?s price, while also pushing away more buyers who simply don?t want another DVD or Blu-ray player in their entertainment center?

I use Netflix's digital downloads in Window's Media Center, mainly because it is a lot cheaper than iTunes and already included in the plan I use for rental DVD's. Purely my opinion, but I believe something than can do both physical media and digital is the way to converge the market. They can do only digital, which is fine, but to really help people move over, you have bridge the chasm of where most are at now, DVD/Blu-Ray, to the digital downloads. iTunes even does it, I can rip my existing collection, and add to it by purchasing digital music. My opinion anyway...
  • Reply 149 of 152
    Quote:

I use Netflix's digital downloads in Window's Media Center, mainly because it is a lot cheaper than iTunes and already included in the plan I use for rental DVD's. Purely my opinion, but I believe something than can do both physical media and digital is the way to converge the market. They can do only digital, which is fine, but to really help people move over, you have bridge the chasm of where most are at now, DVD/Blu-Ray, to the digital downloads. iTunes even does it, I can rip my existing collection, and add to it by purchasing digital music. My opinion anyway...

It doesn’t sound like you know much about the AppleTV or that it would fit your needs, regardless of the HW or price. It’s an extension of your iTunes and made to work like a giant iPod.

If you can’t put the files into iTunes then you can’t get them on your AppleTV. There is no direct file access. i think it’s great for renting movies, buying missed TV shows and playing music, but games consoles and other media extenders have caught up to the AppleTV since its intro in March 2007 and in many ways surpassed it.

PS: Welcome to the forums.
  • Reply 150 of 152
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by French Quarter View Post

ATTENTION. I've checked out all news reports on 4G iPhone written in Korean. NO articles have reported the following:

1. Removable battery

2. Dual core processor

3. Release to the market in April

4. AMOLED display

All articles that I've read said 4G iPhone would have battery of twice-improved capacity and be released to the market in JUNE after 4G iPhone for "test" will come to Korea. According to those reports in Korean language, KT said, it is possible for the 4G version to be released to the market in August because of the remaining stock of 3GS, but KT will try to introduce it as early as in June. One big feature of 4G version is it supports "screen conversation (?)" using a front camera. Those are the only things reported regarding 4G iPhone. I think the above article in Korea Times is simply wrong about the above four things because there is no other report in Korean claiming them, and the writer of the article must have written it based on those other reports in Korean.

Thanks for that
  • Reply 151 of 152
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    faster processor, RFID, 5 megapixel camera, led flash and 64+gigs are all welcome additions and would finally earn a tradeup from my iPod touch. I am satisfied with the current screen.
  • Reply 152 of 152
    I think most people have no ability to take things apart and put them together. Not that it's hard, they're just lazy, stupid, excuse makers, robots, etc.

I've taken apart iPhones and it's not hard at all. It's not like working on a car. You pop the back off, take the battery out, put in new battery, pop the back back on. Done in 10 mins. You can find batteries on ebay. You can find a guid on how to do this here.

I took my 2006 Macbook apart last week because the HDD failed. Sure the HDD is user replaceable, but I wanted to see what was inside my non-warrantied machine. After about 15mins and 45 random screw sizes I had the keyboard/trackpad fully removed. I then took the air compressor and blew off the logic board, it was full of dust and debris. Then, took out my original 80GB Seagate Momentus 5400.1 and replaced it with a 250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.5 that I removed from a USB external drive (I saved the USB to SATA adapter from the external drive). Put it back together, installed system, and tida it works like new.

Point is. Educate yourself on the things you own or want to own. Start learning how to be independent and less dependent to get your problems solved. It's cheaper, you'll learn a lot, and it feels good to know how to solve your own problems.

I do have to also say though. Considering how EASY it is to change a battery, I don't know why they don't just do it right there at the Apple Store. Maybe their not as "genius" as I thought.