Apple releases MobileMe Gallery software on iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

A guy with a camera taking pictures is going to raise suspicions and possibly break stalking laws (of children) depending which state or country it is.

You clearly haven't seen much of the internet.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Not that it matters, but surely 12 days of Christmas was the 5th App-Store-downloadable first-party app?
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Quote:

So your supposed to deny yourself the joy of private personal photo's on your mobile device just because Apple refuses to implement a encryption option?

Come on!

Have you ever gotten sh*tfaced drunk, took some embarrassing or misinterpreted pictures you later regret?

Wouldn't it be nice to know that nobody at Apple, or hackers, or the cops could see those pictures?

With a auto-encryption option turned on, all pictures uploaded to MobileMe would be encrypted.

People are people, one size doesn't fit all.

Why not just keep 'private' pictures on your iPhone (synced with iPhoto if you want)?

Why would you want to upload them to the cloud in the first place?
  • Reply 24 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sredlums View Post

Why not just keep 'private' pictures on your iPhone (synced with iPhoto if you want)?

Quote:

So your supposed to deny yourself the joy of private personal photos on your mobile device just because Apple refuses to implement a encryption option?

It's the joy, man . . . the joy!

LOL
  • Reply 25 of 89
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sredlums View Post

Well because the trend is to automatically have nearly everything on the "cloud" (even programs) because this allows less storage and computing power on the device itself resulting in a less expensive, cooler and smaller device, which would appeal to more people.

The trend is also applying to laptops, which now comes with it's own hardware privacy option (don't let anyone touch your machine). But as more and more of our stuff gets uploaded to and ran on the "cloud", privacy and security issues raise their head. Thus why we need a integrated encryption option.

Password protection doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I've been playing with the Gallery a lot this past week and just thinking about having this utility. But the dumb thing (at least dumb by Apple standards) is why keep it separate from the Photos app? MobileMe Mail is included with the iPhone Mail app; MobileMe Calendar is included with the iPhone Calendar app. And there's a separate iDisk app too. Seems very clumsy by Apple's standards.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple also regrets not buying Flickr. Seriously, Apple is sitting on billions. Buy Twitter now or regret it forever.

Those guys think they have invented something that can't be replicated, so they are demanding a ridiculous price. Twitter turned down $500 million from Facebook. That works out to about $140 per user. The latest valuation going around just hit $1 Billion, which is $250 per user. It's out of hand.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for having me. I have a question:Is Techstud now mactripper?
  • Reply 29 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Those guys think they have invented something that can't be replicated, so they are demanding a ridiculous price. Twitter turned down $500 million from Facebook. That works out to about $140 per user. The latest valuation going around just hit $1 Billion, which is $250 per user. It's out of hand.

$500 million / x = $140

$1 Billion / x = $250

x != x

?
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for having me. I have a question:Is Techstud now mactripper?

Welcome and No, and I'm sure my IP address can confirm that.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

$500 million / x = $140

$1 Billion / x = $250

x != x

?

More users increase the denominator, and lowers the quotient. The key point is that price matters most to Apple. They refused to get into a pissing match with Google over Admob.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:

Well because the trend is to automatically have nearly everything on the "cloud" (even programs) because this allows less storage and computing power on the device itself resulting in a less expensive, cooler and smaller device, which would appeal to more people.

The trend is also applying to laptops, which now comes with it's own hardware privacy option (don't let anyone touch your machine). But as more and more of our stuff gets uploaded to and ran on the "cloud", privacy and security issues raise their head. Thus why we need a integrated encryption option.

Password protection doesn't cut it.

It seems that you feel there is a strong demand for such a service. One that is worthy of you investing your own time and money into and capture the market. I say quite wasting your time on this board and start building your new application and associated service.

Apple (and most other photo hosts) disagree with you. Or at the very least, do not see the high demand that you see.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Who at Apple got away with creating AND approving such a cheesy icon?
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

It seems that you feel there is a strong demand for such a service. One that is worthy of you investing your own time and money into and capture the market. I say quite wasting your time on this board and start building your new application and associated service.

Apple (and most other photo hosts) disagree with you. Or at the very least, do not see the high demand that you see.

First off Apple only allows one app at a time to run on the iPhone, Apple controls the MobileMe app and MobileMe servers, so the change has to come from Apple.

Second, one can upload a encrypted photos to photo hosting services and encrypted files to file hosting services.

Third, Google, because of the attack on emails of Chinese human rights folks, has just enabled HTTPS as standard to access Gmail. It's not full encryption of the emails, just the secure communication between their servers and the users device. So it's a start.

The best option would be to integrate encryption all the time, instead of waiting for something bad to happen.

And Fourth, the demand for encryption will increase the more and more devices switch their content storage and processing to the "cloud". Apple should jump out ahead and set the standard now, it would be good PR.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Right, but at the beach either I or others are around to keep the perverts at bay. A guy with a camera taking pictures is going to raise suspicions and possibly break stalking laws (of children) depending which state or country it is.

Now without encryption on MobileMe as a option, any pictures (even password protected) are nearly public domain and can be altered into illegal pictures.

That's just one example of concern people have and why a encryption option should be available.

Give it a rest. Encrypt your photos first, then send them to your MobileMe Gallery. Problem solved.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Give it a rest. Encrypt your photos first, then send them to your MobileMe Gallery. Problem solved.

But what about convenience?, that has to come along with it.

I can't bother with manually encrypting and decrypting private photo's just to view them on my iPhone.

I want to know that on Apple MobileMe servers the files are encrypted, when I download them to view they will be automatically decrypted for viewing.

A seamless process that can only be done by Apple as they control the app and MobileMe.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With iPhone OS 3.0, MobileMe users were given the "Find My iPhone feature, which can be used to remotely pinpoint a lost or stolen phone.

This is what we really need an app for!
  • Reply 38 of 89
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Wonder what Kodak will have to say about this?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Mactripper=the new techstud

Admins, please take out the garbage.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Those guys think they have invented something that can't be replicated, so they are demanding a ridiculous price.

Twitter never demanded anything, they just refused to be bought. There's a large difference.