Should I wait on buying a unibody MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Haven't been paying too much attention to Apples refresh dates. I need a MBP for college Internet classes. I have a MBP right now that is 2 years old and won't boot up. Just gives me a kernal panic that tells me to reboot, but no luck. :-( this is my first MBP and I'm extremely upset about spending $3300 on a notebook that won't boot. I bought it new with a faulty logic board that Apple replaced under warranty and I think it's fried again. Either that or the Ram.

I'm thinking about getting the 13" Unibody MBP 2.53 with 4GB Ram and 250GB HD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    try reinstalling OS X first on the old one. If that doesn't work get the old one fixe. it will be cheaper than buying a new one... probably... which you shouldn't buy until they release new ones later this month... probably
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks. I was able to run the Apple Hardware Test on the Tiger CD that came with it. Came back with the Video Controller being the problem. Then I did some research and apparently this is a common problem with the NVIDIA 8600GT that I have. It has already been repaired. Apple has extended the warranty to 3 years on these logic boards because of the issue. I wonder if Apple would replace it again. After running the Apple Hardware Test I was able to boot the computer, which I'm typing on now. However, it freezes completely every 5-10min and is extremely hot. This website shows the warranty info. support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

So, now that they should cover it, I am only worried because I don't have those sympotms of a black screen. But the Hardware Test did say that it was a Video Controller problem....\
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Thanks. I was able to run the Apple Hardware Test on the Tiger CD that came with it. Came back with the Video Controller being the problem. Then I did some research and apparently this is a common problem with the NVIDIA 8600GT that I have. It has already been repaired. Apple has extended the warranty to 3 years on these logic boards because of the issue. I wonder if Apple would replace it again. After running the Apple Hardware Test I was able to boot the computer, which I'm typing on now. However, it freezes completely every 5-10min and is extremely hot. This website shows the warranty info. support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

So, now that they should cover it, I am only worried because I don't have those sympotms of a black screen. But the Hardware Test did say that it was a Video Controller problem....\

bring it in. they will fix it again if it is covered and you'll get a like new laptop (for the year you have). then sell it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

If it freezes every 5-10 min and was built with the affected nVidia chips then you need no other evidence
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Just got it replaced free of charge. This notebook has never run this quick before!!!