iPhone OS 4.0 could see 'imminent' release, developer hints

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Evidence continues to suggest Apple could soon introduce a new version of the iPhone operating system, this time with an alleged high-profile developer claiming their software was just updated for iPhone OS 4.0.

Rick Broida with CNet's iPhone Atlas said Friday that he received an e-mail from a "prominent app developer" regarding an update to the iPhone operating system. "Just wanted to give you a heads up that we've submitted an updated app for the new iPhone OS 4.0 software," the e-mail allegedly said. Additional details on the supposed software were not given.

Earlier this month, it was alleged that Apple's rumored Jan. 27 event could include the introduction of iPhone OS 4.0. One report claimed the new software developer kit includes a "simulator" that makes it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions.

Apple is widely expected to introduce its long-rumored tablet device at the event later this month. This week, one rumor claimed that Apple has not issued any updates for the iPhone in some time because the next version has many tablet-related references that the company did not want to leak in advance of its planned unveiling.

Also this week, one developer contacted AppleInsider when a single handset using iPhone OS 4.2 appeared in his Pinch Media statistics for an iPhone application. The identifier could theoretically have been faked, and it's not clear why a new version of the iPhone OS being tested would skip the 4.0 distinction.

As rumors in recent weeks about the tablet have continued to pick up steam, talk of iPhone models and software has also gained traction. Rumors have ranged from an uncharacteristically early April debut to a potential Magic Mouse-like touch panel on the device's plastic backing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    Hopefully they tested the imminent release thoroughly.
  • Reply 2 of 153
    ... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet... or maybe those cold be released on two different schedules...
  • Reply 3 of 153
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Imminent release? Nah. This is just for demoing. Surely there will be betas.
  • Reply 4 of 153
    Hammer down... Who argues? Major number changes, we're looking forward to huge pile of new stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 153
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfmartin67 View Post

... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet... or maybe those cold be released on two different schedules...

My best guess is once that cat is out of the bag regarding the Tablet they will update the iPhone right away, the Tablet I tend to believe will be shipping a while later.
  • Reply 6 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

.... the Tablet I tend to believe will be shipping a while later.

AI -- who, to their credit, broke the tablet story -- continues to maintain 'end of first quarter.' I am holding them to it!
  • Reply 7 of 153
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hope this quick OS release it true. I've been saying that Apple has to have major updates 6 months apart now. So whether it's a 3.5 with major features, or a 4, it would be good.

Times are different from the past two years. Now, Apple has some credible competitors, and they can't wait an entire year before upgrades. Too much is happening.
  • Reply 8 of 153
    The developer who broke this news should be worried. He or she may see their app yanked from the App Store for telling the world about the 4.0 release.

Steve Jobs is known to extract a penalty from those who reveal things that are contrary to his release schedule...
  • Reply 9 of 153
    Apple is not MS, they don't have unmeasurable task force up their sleeve to launch as many projects simultaneously as they wish. Apple is not Google, Apple's >30K(?) of employees have to produce hardware, too. Hardware projects are demanding and consuming. The perpetual shortage of resources is clearly visible, when looking at Apple. Whence thoughtful design, reusing of everything everywhere, modularity.
  • Reply 10 of 153
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

could see 'imminent' release

AI, you have a way with words.
  • Reply 11 of 153
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

The developer who broke this news should be worried. He or she may see their app yanked from the App Store for telling the world about the 4.0 release.

Steve Jobs is known to extract a penalty from those who reveal things that are contrary to his release schedule...

I wouldn't be surprised if the leak was blessed from Apple to keep the press talking about it.
  • Reply 12 of 153
    Quote:

... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet

that is the gist of the rumors.

the success of something like a tablet will be content as much as form. particularly if it is 'a super iphone' form. so they would want, so the rumors go, for there to be tabletized apps, ebooks, video etc. whatever fits with the functions of the tablet. it doesn't have to be everything but if a fair 1/3 of the existing apps were ready and more coming every day, folks would be pretty satisfied.

course we haven't seen a confirmation of any announcement by Apple and the deadline is closing fast. Wonder what explanation the rumor mill will have when Jan 27 has come and gone with nothing. should be amusing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI -- who, to their credit, broke the tablet story -- continues to maintain 'end of first quarter.' I am holding them to it!

and when they are wrong they are going to buy you a tablet right

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope this quick OS release it true. I've been saying that Apple has to have major updates 6 months apart now. S.

actually Apple doesn't HAVE to do anything. aside from the legal requirement to fix any problems.

so despite your opinion, there won't be major updates every anything until Apple wants to do it.

it is even possible that the tablet and phone are not using exactly the same twist on the OS and while the tablet version might release in Feb/Mar with the device, the phone version doesn't happen until the summer.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sweet! I?ve been predicting this as a likely possibility. Hopefully it comes true.

Quote:

It would probably take months, like before to ready the new HW, which we know about expect for iPhone OS hints. Hopefully there is an SDK for Tablet OS.
  • Reply 14 of 153
    Quote:

...Rumors have ranged from an uncharacteristically early April debut to a potential Magic Mouse-like touch panel on the device's plastic backing.

so there might be a ghosted image of a keypad, and you'd type on the back of the casing using the fingers that are holding the device, rather than typing on the screen side? that'd be a radical new input method, as one rumor described, and it'd sure involve a learning curve. otherwise, i'd like to see some imaginative speculation of what might be gained from a touch-sensitive back casing, on either a tablet OR an iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 153
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

so there might be a ghosted image of a keypad, and you'd type on the back of the casing using the fingers that are holding the device, rather than typing on the screen side? that'd be a radical new input method, as one rumor described, and it'd sure involve a learning curve. otherwise, i'd like to see some imaginative speculation of what might be gained from a touch-sensitive back casing, on either a tablet OR an iPhone.

If Apple were to go this route, and that's a big IF...

It would likely be limited to the simple gestures, just like the magic mouse. Scrolling would be it's primary purpose. Beyond that, maybe pinching, and home screen swipes. It would have to be limited to generic anywhere-on-the-screen gestures, without some sort of on screen cursor. I see Apple taking the simple route, not turning the back into fullfledged trackpad.

However, it seems very unlike Apple to make such a major change without having a more significant purpose than scolling. It's also a lot like admitting that having your hands all over the screen isn't such a great idea, which doesn't seem likely.
  • Reply 16 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...actually Apple doesn't HAVE to do anything. aside from the legal requirement to fix any problems. so despite your opinion, there won't be major updates every anything until Apple wants to do it...

"actually..."

You're just taking the easy, literal way out to knock down someone else's opinion. I'm with melgross, who argued that with the rapidly changing smart phone environment, apple needs to bring new features via software updates more often than once a year, if it's not gonna intro new hardware more than once a year.

It's gotta stay competitive, and imho updating hardware and software only once a year isn't enough. Apple needs to do it, thus--if you want to make this insight conform to your p.o.v.--apple will want to do it. And will.

If the iPhone's gonna remain successful, with all the new products being intro'd with new hardware (better screens, faster processors, for ex) and new software (multitasking, for ex) Apple can't afford to wait 12 months for each significant refresh.
  • Reply 17 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope this quick OS release it true. I've been saying that Apple has to have major updates 6 months apart now. So whether it's a 3.5 with major features, or a 4, it would be good.

Times are different from the past two years. Now, Apple has some credible competitors, and they can't wait an entire year before upgrades. Too much is happening.

You're right, too much is happening. Like their "competitors" getting hit with malware because they want to be cute and mock Apple for its control over app availability.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...malware-fears/
  • Reply 18 of 153
    Quote:

...One report claimed the new software developer kit includes a "simulator" that makes it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions...

There are some iPhone apps i'd like to be able to use on a tablet, too. Example: look at the software-prize-nominated ColorSplash app, or better yet, try it. It's simple, does just one thing and does it very well. Its usefulness would be multiplied many times over on a larger device. (disclaimer: I have no association with the company other than being impressed by the product when i use it)
  • Reply 19 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Swiping to the next page/previous page so you don't have to hold it with one hand. You just use any finger of either hand to gesture on the back of the device. You won't need to look at it.

I think it would be cool if it had a holographic projector and a small flip out stand so it could project a keyboard onto the table surface.
  • Reply 20 of 153
    There's no way it's ready for release. They maybe announcing a beta of it, but it won't be ready until summer.