The inside track on Apple's tablet: a history of tablet computing

Comments

• Reply 81 of 200
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Humans have this wonderful thing called a neck. Wouldn't a touch screen in a traditional laptop orientation be even worse? how would you interact with that?

Humans have a wonderful thing called arms but I don?t want to type above my head, just as I don?t want to keep for neck crooked for hours on end when a PC is better designed for comfort and usability.
  • Reply 82 of 200
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

And Apple again seems to have not the worst parcel ever to get started with unearthing of what valuable could be in there.

Come again?
  • Reply 83 of 200
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is really unlikely given that the Apple product with the closest form factor to the tablet right now (the Air) has only one USB port.

It will have probably have an iPhone dock connector also, so there will be no need for an extra video out port. If there is no need, it won't be included. Apple is usually very anal about that kind of thing.

Personally, I doubt that it will have any connectors other than a headphone jack and a dock connector.

A dock connector?!? You mean, like, built-in? You slide your iPhone down into it, and it either stands up or sticks out horizontally? How un-Apple is that?!?!?

Especially given that you can accomplish the same task by providing a USB port (which your iPhone can plug into with the provided cable, not to mention other periripherals, if you wish.

I'm glad YOU aren't in charge of Apple design! Adding a kludgy dock-connector to a sleek tablet makes zero sense.

EDIT: OK, I take it all back... I'm the stupid one today. Feeling kind of dense. You, of course, meant a female dock connector like what is found on the iPhone so that you can use it in a similar way. Agreed.

Thompson
  • Reply 84 of 200
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    I haven't read all the replies here, but I am way confused at the number of people on here alledgedly wanting to run CS4 on a 10.1" slate computer... You're kidding me, right?? Imagine trying to use a CS4 app on tiny 10 inch Mac with a mouse and keyboard - sounds painful. And then take away the mouse and keyboard. Sounds like a bloody nightmare.
  • Reply 85 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I haven't read all the replies here, but I am way confused at the number of people on here alledgedly wanting to run CS4 on a 10.1" slate computer... You're kidding me, right?? Imagine trying to use a CS4 app on tiny 10 inch Mac with a mouse and keyboard - sounds painful. And then take away the mouse and keyboard. Sounds like a bloody nightmare.

This is just the beginning of what we're bound to hear when this device actually appears. The general gist is that if the thing doesn't do precisely what any given individual wants to do, in precisely the way they want to do it, that it's product fail.
  • Reply 86 of 200
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Humans have a wonderful thing called arms but I don?t want to type above my head, just as I don?t want to keep for neck crooked for hours on end when a PC is better designed for comfort and usability.

What are you planning on using a tablet for that would require you to keep your neck crooked for hours?
  • Reply 87 of 200
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

You are right - CS4 apps will never run on a 10" tablet, whatever people here say. That's just stupid, period. I think the idea of the imminent announcement of the alleged tablet have made people go nuts. I think it a distinct possibility that Adobe or Apple or somebody else will make a basic image / photo manipulation app that works on the tablet. Basic being the operative word.
  • Reply 88 of 200
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I still have questions about the overall ergonomic soundness of these (any) tablets. Are you supposed to hold it in one hand while you interface with the screen using the other hand? Won't the holding hand get tired? Set it on the table and the screen no longer faces your eyes. Hold it in your lap and again screen not oriented to your face.

I just don't see how this sort of physical human interface is any kind of improvement over the laptop with an adjustable screen that can be angled to best suit the user.

You would use it the same way as a pad of paper. Something humans have been doing since long before computers were invented.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are right - CS4 apps will never run on a 10" tablet, whatever people here say. That's just stupid, period. I think the idea of the imminent announcement of the alleged tablet have made people go nuts. I think it a distinct possibility that Adobe or Apple or somebody else will make a basic image / photo manipulation app that works on the tablet. Basic being the operative word.

In terms of CPU power, an ARM A9 (or whatever powers the iSlate) cannot compete with the latest Intel desktop / laptop chips. There will definitely be limitations with what an iSlate can realistically do. However, you should still be able to write some pretty good apps. It doesn't have to be all basic apps.
  • Reply 89 of 200
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Apples soon to be unveiled Mac Touch will do just fine in its computing line up, all the skepticism surrounding it by the windows camp, wanting it to fail, this is like Pre iPhone launch back in 2007.
  • Reply 90 of 200
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    great guessing game, the name.

bet it is one word, two syllables ("iPod touch" has never really caught on, too long, everyone just says "the touch").

bet the first syllable is either "i" or "Mac" (ok, pretty obvious).

and the second syllable? iTab is owned by someone else, but MacTab is available. iTouch might be confusing, but MacTouch is possible. iBook and MacBook have both been used before, so no. "Slate" i really can't believe - that implies writing, a stylus. iPad or MacPad are both available.

were it up to me, i'd name it the iPad, to take maximum advantage of the iPod's popularity. but of course it is up to Steve.
  • Reply 91 of 200
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

great guessing game, the name.

How about iPod Slate?

After all it is supposed to be an iPhone/iPod Touch on steroids.
  • Reply 92 of 200
    Somehow it has fallen into oblivion that the iPhone OS is a Mac OS X. Yes, a tiny one for sure, but never the less Mac OS X. Apple did an amazing job squeezing Mac OS X into the iPhone with 128 MB of system RAM at the beginning and still leaving enough space for solid games and applications. And to create a rich user interface that works with this tiny screen and touch control.

The tablet has much fewer restrictions: Bigger screen, more CPU and GPU power and probably more RAM. Apple has managed to cope with the low end (iPhone). Apple should be able to create an appropriate UI for the new baby as well. It would be easy to just use the Mac OS X, but the result would some kind of mini MacBook and no tablet. I want and expect a UI that fits to this new "form factor".
  • Reply 93 of 200
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

How about iPod Slate?

After all it is supposed to be an iPhone/iPod Touch on steroids.

How about Apple Book
  • Reply 94 of 200
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Motion Computing products are indeed the only tablets out there. Everything, which has the keyboard is not a tablet. Everything, which is for media distribution only (readers, for example), is not, strictly speaking, a computer and can't count in the history of computing.

False. First other folks besides Motion make slates. Viewsonic, Tablet Kiosk and Fujitsu to name three off the cuff...not including the new slates from HP, dell, etc seen at CES.

Second, convertible tablets ARE tablets. Hence the "tablet" in the name. When fllipped they act just like slates, just a little heavier and thicker due to the keyboard. The key requirement is some kind of ink technology to capture user input and a digitizer to provide that input.

From your definition then the upcoming iSlate wont be a tablet either.
  • Reply 95 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It will not be a "fully functional computer". Why would Apple essentially kill, or severely damage, its MacBook line? We will have to wait and see who's predictions are the closest to reality. In any event those who expect this device to be some be-all, do-all gadget are going to be sorely disappointed.

Why do you think it would severely damage the Macbook line? That's like saying the Macbooks severely damage the Macbook Pro line. Different computers for different needs. Apple has only a vague concept of this, which is why their market share is so small. If they offered products like a mid range tower or a true netbook their market share would skyrocket. Margins would go down slightly, but they're so high to begin with and if they're selling twice as many computers no one would care!

Assuming the rumors are somewhat true, Apple seems to be intentionally crippling the iSlate (or iKindle, Macbook Wheel, whatever)

People want a small, light, affordable computer they can take anywhere. The best Apple can do is one out of the three - the Macbook Air. While light and sleek, it is very expensive and has a huge footprint.
  • Reply 96 of 200
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yes. I have to acknowledge Gates on this one thing. Also, your sig might just turn out to be true Ireland.

Hopefully so.
  • Reply 97 of 200
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The general gist is that if the thing doesn't do precisely what any given individual wants to do, in precisely the way they want to do it, that it's product fail.

100% correct!

Nearly all the flame ridden, internet forum, arguments about Apple ... boil down to just two things.

1. If an Apple product doesn't fulfil my needs, it will be a commercial failure.

2. If I don't like Apple's business practice then it must be illegal.
  • Reply 98 of 200
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

100% correct!

Nearly all the flame ridden, internet forum, arguments about Apple ... boil down to just two things.

1. If an Apple product doesn't fulfil my needs, it will be a commercial failure.

so true.

but some of us come from the other direction. if the new iPad/whatever were just an enlarged Touch i'd buy it, since that is all i absolutely need. and that's true for enough consumers that it would be a commercial success. i think it is very safe to assume it will do everything the Touch can.

but most everyone else is hoping/demanding a breakthrough product that goes a lot beyond that. reportedly, even Steve J. so the genuine debate revolves around what would be a real "breakthrough." and what would excite/change the marketplace like the iPhone did.

wish i knew. gotta wait two weeks.
  • Reply 99 of 200
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Why do you think it would severely damage the Macbook line? That's like saying the Macbooks severely damage the Macbook Pro line. Different computers for different needs. Apple has only a vague concept of this, which is why their market share is so small. If they offered products like a mid range tower or a true netbook their market share would skyrocket. Margins would go down slightly, but they're so high to begin with and if they're selling twice as many computers no one would care!

Assuming the rumors are somewhat true, Apple seems to be intentionally crippling the iSlate (or iKindle, Macbook Wheel, whatever)

People want a small, light, affordable computer they can take anywhere. The best Apple can do is one out of the three - the Macbook Air. While light and sleek, it is very expensive and has a huge footprint.

I think Apple knows their own business best. Both mid range desktops and netbooks have razor thin margins. I seem to remember Acer only having a 2% profit margin as a result of their netbook sales. Apple is not in the low margin high volume business, and I'm glad. Most companies that are produce absolute garbage.

Edit: All that said, a mid range tower would be nice, but understand why they don't make one.
  • Reply 100 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I think Apple knows their own business best. Both mid range desktops and netbooks have razor thin margins. I seem to remember Acer only having a 2% profit margin as a result of their netbook sales. Apple is not in the low margin high volume business, and I'm glad. Most companies that are produce absolute garbage.

Edit: All that said, a mid range tower would be nice, but understand why they don't make one.

Why do you think Apple wouldn't apply their notorious high margins (aka Apple Tax) to netbooks and a mid-range tower? A $700 10-11" netbook and a $1400 mid range tower would both be profitable and popular. I'd buy the tower for sure, but will not spend almost $2700 on a MacPro. Again different needs.

Almost everyone agrees Macs are better than PCs but Mac market share continues to be a blip. Their very limited product range is a huge reason for that.