Google Nexus One first week sales estimated at disappointing 20K

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I came away thinking that 'techie' types will probably love it and bang on about all the additional features (and the fact that it "hands other smartphones their ass in benchmarking"!), but the majority of users will prefer the simplicity of iPhone.

I can just envision a salesman trying to attract customers with pie charts and benchmark stats. Meanwhile, Apple is focusing on an awesome user experience across a vast ecosystem.

We won't even mention third party iPhone accessories. Ok, I lied... check this out:

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/parrot-ar.../en/index.html
  • Reply 22 of 63
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

hardcore fanboys always provide the lulz

Google is not aiming for the Nexus One to be a superstar or iPhone killer or Droid killer but more or less a benchmark of what the Android platform is capable of. This phone hasnt even had 1% of the marketing blitz the Droid had, and the only people who know about it are tech news readers really because thats where most of its exposure came from.

Suffice to say, Google could have pushed the Nexus One hard if it wanted to but chose not to (i wonder why their not on VZW yet? Must be that other Android device that came out not long ago).

The Nexus One is raw, and hands the 3GS and other smartphones their ass in benchmarking, its probably why Steve Wozniak owns one.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...e-review.ars/4

for all the nonsense that the tech media writes how this is a revolution in cell phone sales, Google dare not market this phone. They have to avoid alienating all their partners who are assisting with Android development and are releasing phones. If Google starts competing with them than they will stop making android phones and google will have to develop everything themselves.

if this is truly unlocked, what was the big deal about making it work on AT&T's 3G network? they crippled it only T-Mo because Dell is about to release 5 Android phones on AT&T in the next few months and I bet Moto and Dell all made Google sign contracts not to compete with them. Or limit competition.

and the support for a $530 phone consists of a web email form where it takes 2-3 days for a script response. at least Apple will replace hardware. i've seen some of the bulletins sent about the 3G signal going to EDGE all the time on the N1 and it specifically states not to replace the phone
  • Reply 23 of 63
    [reply]After much hype[/reply]

Stopped reading there. Although the Nexus One had a lot of exciting expectations, barely anybody knew about it. I've been heavily researching android phones since August and I didn't even know about the Nexus One until early December, and the most information people had until a week before it came out was that it was being made by htc, looked like an htc phone, and had animated background. They didn't even give a decent amount of solid information until the day it launched.

Now, compare that with the iphone that got presented at a huge conference that most of the world watches several months before it came out. Compare that with the Droid or the Hero where people were comparing everything about the phone to other options a month before they came out. Everybody's been confused about the Nexus One until the day it came out.

Quote:

The Nexus One is raw, and hands the 3GS and other smartphones their ass in benchmarking, its probably why Steve Wozniak owns one.

Those benchmarks are fail. They don't test hardware, they test the phone as a hardware/software package, yet they report the results like it's all dependent on the different processors. When the Droid gets Nexus One's android build we'll see how those benchmarks look. Software has proven to be the most important factor in the speed of these phones.

Quote:

I can just envision a salesman trying to attract customers with pie charts and benchmark stats. Meanwhile, Apple is focusing on an awesome user experience across a vast ecosystem.

We won't even mention third party iPhone accessories. Ok, I lied... check this out

There are many advantages to android besides pie charts and benchmarks. My number one reason from avoiding the iPhone like a plague is being forced to use apple software and forced to go through apple for anything. I want my freedom. I want my phone to be like my pc that I get to do whatever I want with in terms of functionality, hardware, software. You will never have that with iPhone. I do respect and am jealous of all the support that is behind it in terms of games/accessories.

Quote:

The hardware is fantastic, especially the screen which is way better than the iPhone, but the user interface (with the exception of the maps application which is brilliant) is nowhere near as good as the iPhone.

Android is new. It has only very recently been developed on phones that are actually decent and it is growing at an insane rate. It will be constantly improved by Google and because it's open source, it has no limits in terms of user development and where it can go. Android has much more potential to grow than the iPhone right now.

Quote:

I think Google have made the same mistake with Nexus that Microsoft did with Zune. Microsofts assumption was that the way to beat iPod was to add more features, but in truth, the simplicity of iPod was one of the key selling points. It seems the same with Nexus. There is far more flexibility in what you can do, but as a result it doesn't seem as "clean" to me.

Except Microsoft is a shit company that just copies other people and throws a bunch of money at it. Google is rethinking the phone. They aren't just adding functionality. Google's products are very well thought out from the bottom up. They don't just copy and release stuff and use money to fix it.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yugami View Post

Google is rethinking the phone. They aren't just adding functionality. Google's products are very well thought out from the bottom up. They don't just copy and release stuff and use money to fix it.

Can you let me know what you mean by they are re-thinking the phone? From what I saw of the Nexus One, it didn't seem much different from any number of touchscreen based phones, though I acknowledge I don't know much about how it works and whether or not that will allow them to do anything special in the future.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:

Except Microsoft is a shit company that just copies other people and throws a bunch of money at it. Google is rethinking the phone. They aren't just adding functionality. Google's products are very well thought out from the bottom up. They don't just copy and release stuff and use money to fix it.

I really disagree with your assessment of Google products being "very well thought out from the bottom up." They are anything but. There's a reason most of them are still carrying the "beta" tag on them...it's because they are buggy, kludgy, don't play nice with others, and usually just plain ugly.

While I won't disagree with your call on Microsoft, I think Google is actually very similar. They make an insane amount of money with the AdWords product, and with that money they finance dozens of interesting ideas as products, but almost everything Google has, they either copied, stole, or bought from someone else.

Even AdWords, the big money make of Google wasn't their original idea. I believe they bought Overture, but don't quote me on that, or at the very least they copied Overture's model.

Search they copied from AltaVista, Lycos, Microsoft, Yahoo and others.

Google Voice they bought out Grand Central.

Web based email and calendars were around long before Google ever existed.

Android they took Linux.

Nexus they took the iPhone.

News group indexing and searching they bought DejaNews.

GoogleTalk just a copy of a dozen other chat clients that pre-existed GT for 10-15 years.

Google's doing some interesting things, no doubt, but very little of it is innovative or revolutionary; they take some existing products and add some interesting twists to them.

Most of the things I've listed, Google's implementation may have an extra feature or two over the predecessor, but it's usually uglier and not well thought out.

Just so I don't come across as an Apple fanboy slamming Google, I'll point out that Apple gets many of its ideas from others as well. The difference is Apple takes someone else's idea, polishes it off, adds some innovative twist others hadn't thought of, and releases a slick product that every one wants, that's EVERY ONE; not like the Google products, which other than search, the typical Joe on the street doesn't want or even know about. Just ask your mother if she's heard of Google Wave...
  • Reply 26 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Just accept it as another "iPhone Killer" that didn't, and wait for the next attempt.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    I'm speechless reading all these posts. People are really brainwashed here... \
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

I'm speechless reading all these posts. People are really brainwashed here... \

Maybe Apple's product is just that good.

People continue to give credit to a company's product that others have tried to imitate unsuccessfully for two years now. Go complain to Apple and tell them to stop making everyone else look bad.

You're going to get a lot of iPhone fans around here. It's the nature of the site. Add to that the fact that another Android phone didn't quite make the cut, and what do you expect? The penalty for failure is harsh.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

for all the nonsense that the tech media writes how this is a revolution in cell phone sales, Google dare not market this phone. They have to avoid alienating all their partners who are assisting with Android development and are releasing phones. If Google starts competing with them than they will stop making android phones and google will have to develop everything themselves.

if this is truly unlocked, what was the big deal about making it work on AT&T's 3G network? they crippled it only T-Mo because Dell is about to release 5 Android phones on AT&T in the next few months and I bet Moto and Dell all made Google sign contracts not to compete with them. Or limit competition.

and the support for a $530 phone consists of a web email form where it takes 2-3 days for a script response. at least Apple will replace hardware. i've seen some of the bulletins sent about the 3G signal going to EDGE all the time on the N1 and it specifically states not to replace the phone

This is the nerds Android device right now. Google even acknowledges this with how it handles people who root their device (read: warranty voided) and states it as plain as day and even gives a warning on the device before you use fastboot.

Buying phones unlocked from the maker is a big deal but this didnt live up to its potential. If the Nexus One came out the gate unlocked with support for all 4 major networks (its only 2 and 1 doesnt get 3G so it doesnt matter) in one device that is a huge plus. Jump onto any carrier free of contract and take your device with you, no strings attached and no ETF.

I heard the support issue stems directly from T-Mo and they were tossing users between each other, but T-Mo has acknowledged the issue with fluctuating 3G service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just accept it as another "iPhone Killer" that didn't, and wait for the next attempt.

Whoever called it the iPhone killer? AppleInsider? The biggest deal about this phone was it came from Googles stable packing some of the best hardware available for phones out and coming out so soon after the Droid.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

Search they copied from AltaVista, Lycos, Microsoft, Yahoo and others.

Were you using these search engines when google came out? I used altavista/yahoo pregoogle. Google revolutionized searching. They made a search engine that was fast and efficient and was way ahead of any alternative right at the beginning. Search engines began copying google after it was created.

Gmail is fucking awesome and has set an example for other webmails.

Try putting Linux on a phone? We would all love our phones to be just like a PC OS, that's what we've been moving toward over the past several years of phone improvement. If you can get Linux/Mac OS/Windows working a phone with all features then that's awesome, good for google.

Nexus stole iPhone eh? More like Nexus stole HTC. It's just an HTC phone with google's input and the new Android. Google is about Android, not the Nexus. And Android did NOT steal the iPhone OS. It learned from it, but it is completely different and BETTER.

GoogleTalk is really nice. It integrates with my gmail and my phone perfectly and has been way less intrusive than other IM apps.

Google is all about rethinking software. You can tell from their end products that when they design they are constantly trying to think of a better way to do things. Google Chrome is a great example. If you watch their youtube video or whatever about it they go over all sorts of features that they came up with to solve problems that old browsers had. Other browsers are already copying lots of the features that Chrome came up with.

Google is a logical company that thinks of the best way to do things. They question everything when designing a new product rather than copying something else and working from there. Sure, their products may turn out similar, but the programming and design behind it has been completely re-thought. They study the big picture and try to make things better and more logical.

Apple is a simple company. They cater to the masses (America) who that want things to be easy and stylish. These points go ahead of functionality, performance, flexibility. They take what's out there, restrict it to their own little world so nothing goes wrong and it's super easy to understand, and make it cool.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

T

Whoever called it the iPhone killer? AppleInsider? The biggest deal about this phone was it came from Googles stable packing some of the best hardware available for phones out and coming out so soon after the Droid.

The entire industry:

"Can Google's phone kill the iPhone?"

"Is the Nexus One an iPhone killer?"

etc.

EVERYONE set this thing squarely against the iPhone. If Google didn't intend it that way, tough titty. Maybe their marketing dept. should take a few entry level courses at a local community college. When you're in the same space as an Apple product, comparisons are almost mandatory.

Yes, the Nexus One hardware is nice. Not worth a whole lot when the software isn't up to par. Pre = great software on lousy hardware. Nexus One = great hardware with lousy software. It's all about that perfect combination, which so far only Apple seems to understand. It's been TWO YEARS and there's *still* no iPhone killer. What gives?

Quote:

Google is a logical company that thinks of the best way to do things. They question everything when designing a new product rather than copying something else and working from there. Sure, their products may turn out similar, but the programming and design behind it has been completely re-thought. They study the big picture and try to make things better and more logical.

You seem to be getting Google confused with Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    AsianBob is gonna have a stroke when he learns of this. 20K? Are you serious? As a kid, even my Lemonade stand had more success.

Oh well, guess I'll wait for the 4th generation iPhone(and Apple's Tablet).

Hi, extremeskater!
  • Reply 33 of 63
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The entire industry:

"Can Google's phone kill the iPhone?"

"Is the Nexus One an iPhone killer?"

etc.

EVERYONE set this thing squarely against the iPhone. If Google didn't intend it that way, tough titty. Maybe their marketing dept. should take a few entry level courses at a local community college. When you're in the same space as an Apple product, comparisons are almost mandatory.

Yes, the Nexus One hardware is nice. Not worth a whole lot when the software isn't up to par. Pre = great software on lousy hardware. Nexus One = great hardware with lousy software. It's all about that perfect combination, which so far only Apple seems to understand. It's been TWO YEARS and there's *still* no iPhone killer. What gives?

Thats the tech-blogs who label anything with the same specs as the iPhone as an iPhone killer. 1 phone will not kill the iPhone, its going to take a succession of phones to do that. Google never came out and said "this is the phone that will topple Apple" they just did their thing and the comparisons inevitably came in.

There most likely isnt going to be a single device that will kill the iPhone, the iPhones rise can come to a halt if they dont keep innovating (some are questioning if they can) that allows competitors to swoop in with the big new thing and you go from being top dog to scrambling to catch up (what Apple did to the Smartphone industry)
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Am I wrong, but wouldn't part of the low sales be attributed to the fact that the market might be drying up a little? At least until people who went out and bought an iPhone, MyTouch, Droid, BB in the past 8-16 months are waiting for their contracts to end. You can't expect 100,000+ people to run out and buy a new phone every 4-6 months as these phones have been been introduced. A lot of people who may have purchased a Nexus just bought the Droid or several months ago got a MyTouch. Just because a new 'big deal' phone comes out every 4 months, there are only but so many people out looking for a new phone at a time. Apple will continue to have big first week sales 'cuz they have a built in large market and arguably lead the market. Just my thinking. Have a good long weekend for those who have it.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

Were you using these search engines when google came out? I used altavista/yahoo pregoogle. Google revolutionized searching. They made a search engine that was fast and efficient and was way ahead of any alternative right at the beginning. Search engines began copying google after it was created.

Gmail is fucking awesome and has set an example for other webmails.

Try putting Linux on a phone? We would all love our phones to be just like a PC OS, that's what we've been moving toward over the past several years of phone improvement. If you can get Linux/Mac OS/Windows working a phone with all features then that's awesome, good for google.

Nexus stole iPhone eh? More like Nexus stole HTC. It's just an HTC phone with google's input and the new Android. Google is about Android, not the Nexus. And Android did NOT steal the iPhone OS. It learned from it, but it is completely different and BETTER.

GoogleTalk is really nice. It integrates with my gmail and my phone perfectly and has been way less intrusive than other IM apps.

Google is all about rethinking software. You can tell from their end products that when they design they are constantly trying to think of a better way to do things. Google Chrome is a great example. If you watch their youtube video or whatever about it they go over all sorts of features that they came up with to solve problems that old browsers had. Other browsers are already copying lots of the features that Chrome came up with.

Apple is a simple company. They cater to the masses (America) who that want things to be easy and stylish. These points go ahead of functionality, performance, flexibility. They take what's out there, restrict it to their own little world so nothing goes wrong and it's super easy to understand, and make it cool.

Well, you've certainly drank the Google Kool-Aid, haven't you? That's okay, most of us here are drunk on Apple-Juice.

I'm 50 years old. Computers have been my passion since 1978. I was probably using computers and some form of networking before you were out of diapers, so yes, I've used Lycos, Alta Vista, Yahoo, and all the rest for search. "The Google" didn't invent search, but yes they improved it, and I did acknowledge that they did it best when I said "except for search and ad-words" in my original post.

Please, what exactly is so awesome about GMail...? It's ugly. It's SPAM filtering is much worse than MobileMe or Yahoo's. It uses tagging instead of folders...okay, if that's your thing. It's IMAP implementation is weird and confuses most clients. The only other cool feature it has that others don't that I can think of is the ability to use the"+" sign to add any additional text to your address for filtering purposes.

Google Talk may be nice, but it's no nicer than Yahoo's implementation within Yahoo webmail. I'll give Google an edge over Yahoo in the Apple world if you use iChat, since Jabber integrates, but other than that, it's got no advantage over any of the others.

I just don't buy your assertion that Google rethinks and designs everything from the ground up in any kind of compelling way. Or maybe you're right, all of their ideas are half-baked beta releases that are constantly changing...anyone copying a successful product would come up with better. Everything Google reeks of beta software and Google even acknowledges by never removing the word beta from the product's description.

As far as cell phone OS's go...Palm's and Microsoft have been putting together pretty nice OSs on PDA and cellphones for a decade or more. Apple pretty much brought us a desktop-ish Unix based phone OS three years ago. What exactly has Google done that's all that special in this arena...?

Financially Google would be NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL, without its AdWords revenue. Without its AdWords revenue, they couldn't do all this free stuff, and the fact that it's free is the only reason it's so popular.

Would you actually pay money for GMail? Really...?

Would you actually pay money for GoogleTalk?

Would you pay money for Picassa?

No, you use them because they're free. If you paid money for them, you'd expect a slicker interface and GUI.

People pay money for Yahoo email, and others.

People pay lots of money for MobileMe, because it's slick and ties in so nicely with their entire iLife.

Google's not there, despite some nice integration with Android phones and some of the services.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

Google revolutionized searching. They made a search engine that was fast and efficient and was way ahead of any alternative right at the beginning. Search engines began copying google after it was created.

P.S. I'm also not sure everything Google's done for search was good. They created a whole system that SEO whores have gamed, and I think a lot of good sites get missed because they get buried in Google's algorithms because they don't focus on trying to get to the top of the search heap.

I don't have the answer for what's the best way to do search; if I did, we'd be talking about Loop searches and Loop phones, not Google. \
  • Reply 37 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Meanwhile one carrier in one market, the United kingdom consisting of England, Wales and Scotland which are united under the Union Jack, Queen Elizabeth the Second and share the same parliament, laws, currency and taxation system (Vodafone UK) launched the iPhone and sold 50,000 on the first day.

Source:-

http://www.velti.com/index.cfm?page=...cleID=19560004

Hey what's the difference between a "Google experience" Magic released last year and a "Google" Nexus?

Both have vanilla Android and both are made by HTC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So given all those variables, what does this data suggest? They're comparing a first gen Google phone which wasn't advertised at all and sold in only one country, to a heavily marketed third gen phone sold in 8?

• Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Financially Google would be NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL, without its AdWords revenue. Without its AdWords revenue, they couldn't do all this free stuff, and the fact that it's free is the only reason it's so popular.

I always chuckle when I hear people talk about how "revolutionary" Google is or how much "brain power" they have working there, when in fact Google is nothing more than an advertising company. You would think they could find a better use for all of their "brain power".
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Meanwhile one carrier in one country (Vodafone UK) launched the iPhone and sold 50,000 on the first day.

That is insane.

I'm dying to see the iPhone's updated market share numbers.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Meanwhile one carrier in one country (Vodafone UK) launched the iPhone and sold 50,000 on the first day.

And in which country was that in?