The inside track on Apple's tablet: a history of tablet computing

Comments

• Reply 161 of 200
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Is OLED hard to see in the sun? Or is that FUD I got from somewhere.

It's FUN, anyway, how uses their computer in direct sunlight - no one.
  • Reply 162 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

One week, one day and 21 hours to goooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Sadly, we don't even have any further rumours/ confirmation that *any* event is going to take place.
  • Reply 163 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's FUN, anyway, how uses their computer in direct sunlight - no one.

Okay, but in say a shaded park or in the roadside section of a cafe during a sunset, would LED be better than OLED?

Chilling at a park or cafe would be one of the primary areas where you would enjoy a bit of Tablet time.
  • Reply 164 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

In England wouldn't iPad translate to iTampon?

iPad is just a ridiculous name. But hey, who knows, iPhone "3GS" sells by the bucketload...!
  • Reply 165 of 200
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Sadly, we don't even have any further rumours/ confirmation that *any* event is going to take place.

They have until Tuesday the 19th to give people one week to prepare. Perhaps Wednesday the 20th if the show will be on the 27th.

Let me say again that if they delay yet again I will be all for it because that just means Jobs wants to make some last minute changes to the device to make sure it is a success. I mean, we've waited this long haven't we?
  • Reply 166 of 200
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we can count convertible notebooks as also being tablet devices. If it can be used as a tablet without accessing the keyboard and the display is the primary means of input while being held then I think it counts.

The problem here is they, presumably, can be, but they generally are not. As soon as a maker allows hardware keyboard input, that becomes the dominant mode with existing available software (which has already been mentioned on the thread). There's no that big of a point to count machines amongst "tablets", if they are prevailingly used just in classic laptop mode and if the slate mode makes them instantly a niche solution.
  • Reply 167 of 200
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

The problem here is they, presumably, can be, but they generally are not. As soon as a maker allows hardware keyboard input, that becomes the dominant mode with existing available software (which has already been mentioned on the thread). There's no that big of a point to count machines amongst "tablets", if they are prevailingly used just in classic laptop mode and if the slate mode makes them instantly a niche solution.

Except I can use all tablet software with a convertible. The dominant input depends on the work flow, not the device.

The reason that they are more popular for medical uses has been that nurses and admins couldn't read doctor's handwritten notes in ink.

Convertibles are tablets that CAN be used as normal notebooks unlike slates. But if all you were going to do was use the keyboard you could have saved money and gotten more machine for a regular notebook. I have an app developed for tablets that is its dominant use but understand that folks still need to be able to use MS Word from time to time.
  • Reply 168 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Except I can use all tablet software with a convertible. The dominant input depends on the work flow, not the device.

Talk is cheap. Just try touch-oriented software. Oh, it does depend on the hardware. It does depend on the device. And how!

Quote:

The reason that they are more popular for medical uses has been that nurses and admins couldn't read doctor's handwritten notes in ink.

Which we're discussing since long already. Niche products for niche use.

Quote:

Convertibles are tablets that CAN be used as normal notebooks unlike slates. But if all you were going to do was use the keyboard you could have saved money and gotten more machine for a regular notebook. I have an app developed for tablets that is its dominant use but understand that folks still need to be able to use MS Word from time to time.

Tablet is commonly defined by its slate form factor and by the screen input. Convertibles break both, IMO. They are qualified as tablets for marketing purposes. But what has it all got to do with coming (if any) Apple's device?

Apple's Authorized Proprietary Solution Provider introduced true tablet machine years ago. Apple does active research in touch input realm. And upon doing all that Apple will produce yet another convertible crap? Frankly, it's the last thing I'd ever guess.
  • Reply 169 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is bad enough that people underestimate the capability of iPhone OS here but the negativity towards ARM is uninformed.

ARM supplies IP for the cores used in many Apple products. The newest versions A8 & A9 are very good processors and are known to be capable of easily out running ATOM.

The A8s cannot. The A9s can when pushed to higher clock speeds. Intel is specifically not improving Atom speeds concentrating on better power consumption. Anytime Intel wants to retake the speed crown (which they haven't lost yet) they have an assload of higher power x86 performance enhancements to tap.

Quote:

Add to this a OpenCL compliant GPU and you end up with a heterogenous computing environment. Put a frame buffer on that SoC and you should be able to lower power significantly while increasing the performance of that SoC. With careful engineering and good software design Apple should be able to match the performance of many of todays Wndows based laptops.

They will...with Arrandale. A demo of web surfing performance against a 1.6Ghz Atom is one thing. Claiming that an A9 will be performance competitive even against a Pentium is silly.

Plus it's not a production device yet just like Moorestown. I'm sure Intel can make a video with a lab Z550/Z515 that beats the production Atom too. And Moorestown/Lincroft will be a SOC as well.

Quote:

That is no BS and depends upon how agressive Apple will be with this first spin. The key here is that the whole device might max out at 8 to 10 watts. That is a bit more than iPhones 2.5 watts max but is very doable with a larger battery. I think things look really good for Apples first PA Semi based device.

For the tablet an ARM A9 would work well given the large body of iPhone devs. Even so, Apple would want to likely invest in porting over some of the Mac OSX apps to the platform.

However IT COULD BE MOORESTOWN as well. Not as likely with the PA Semi investment but possible. There are some Moorestown devices running moblin at CES.

http://scoop.intel.com/2010/01/intel...nes-at-ces.php

It's funny how many UI design cues they stole from the iPhone but otherwise the prototype device looks rather good. 720p encoding and 1080p decoding, 1024 x 480, 5MP camera (x2), moblin 2.1. Touchpad looked a little laggy but video performance looked nice.

http://www.netbooknews.com/1891/lg-g...hone-ces-2010/
  • Reply 170 of 200
    Quote:

Talk is cheap. Just try touch-oriented software. Oh, it does depend on the hardware. It does depend on the device. And how!

I have 3 slates, 2 convertibles, iPhones, a Diamond Touch and a couple touch enabled displays. I have developed a tablet based app and prototyped a multitouch based app for the same domain.

What would you like me to try Mr Talk is Cheap? I'll give it a try.

Quote:

Which we're discussing since long already. Niche products for niche use.

We're all assuming (hopefully correctly) that the iSlate will change all that. However, it is MOST likely to change it for content consumption and not content creation.

Quote:

Tablet is commonly defined by its slate form factor and by the screen input.

No, a tablet is commonly defined as having a built in digitizer which can support a stylus based pen interface.

Quote:

Convertibles break both, IMO. They are qualified as tablets for marketing purposes. But what has it all got to do with coming (if any) Apple's device?

Nothing. However it has a lot to do with your assertion that convertibles aren't tablets which is wrong.

Quote:

Apple's Authorized Proprietary Solution Provider introduced true tablet machine years ago. Apple does active research in touch input realm. And upon doing all that Apple will produce yet another convertible crap? Frankly, it's the last thing I'd ever guess.

I would predict that Apple's MBP line up will move to become entirely convertibles. That's one way to maintain the margins against ever decreasing price of traditional notebooks and a competitive advantage over Linux or Windows.

The Air would make a wonderful convertible with a solid hinge and a thin multi-touch digitizer. Apple is more likely able to integrate multi-touch and pen computing seamlessly into the core OS than MS. I say that as a MSDN subscriber that's been playing with the multitouch SDK from MS (nice stuff actually).
  • Reply 171 of 200
    Quote:

What would you like me to try Mr Talk is Cheap? I'll give it a try.

PQWindow on Fujitsu P series. Get busy.

Quote:

Nothing. However it has a lot to do with your assertion that convertibles aren't tablets which is wrong.

It all depends on how strict you think the definition of tablet is. People used to go onto long talks about convertible tablets and then to issue sudden remarks that convertibles are apparently "very close to laptops". I just don't want to factor convertibles in.
  • Reply 172 of 200
    Quote:

PQWindow on Fujitsu P series. Get busy.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/06/f...ick-work-of-m/

They have a multitouch convertible. Done.

Quote:

It all depends on how strict you think the definition of tablet is. People used to go onto long talks about convertible tablets and then to issue sudden remarks that convertibles are apparently "very close to laptops". I just don't want to factor convertibles in.

So what? Doesn't mean you get to reclassify what is or isn't a tablet. In any case, without understanding the previous failure of slates you wont understand where the upcoming Apple design might excel or falter.
  • Reply 173 of 200
    Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/06/f...ick-work-of-m/

They have a multitouch convertible. Done.

Sure it's not! You claimed device independence, which is obviously not the case. This is why the guy starting to blabber about the experience and failing on practical task never gets job in my team.

Quote:

So what? Doesn't mean you get to reclassify what is or isn't a tablet. In any case, without understanding the previous failure of slates you wont understand where the upcoming Apple design might excel or falter.

Just care to read ivan.rnn01's posts. They've already explained everything, which you are to understand about where Apple will excel. So you can not predict what I will or will not understand. I'm just considering matters, which you haven't yet thought about.
  • Reply 174 of 200
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Okay, but in say a shaded park or in the roadside section of a cafe during a sunset, would LED be better than OLED?

Are you using this tablet in a Raymond Carver story?

On average the OLED display would be 10 times better, at a shaded café it would still be better.
  • Reply 175 of 200
    Quote:

Guess what dude? Apple just annouced that Jan 27th will indeed hold and event. They want to show their "Latest Creation".

Well everyone, It's on!!!!!!!
  • Reply 176 of 200
    As long as I can put a program like cdisplay for comics and vlc for video and can put my own files on an actual drive, I'm in. other wise I'm not so sure.

Has anyone heard any rumors of the possibility of these capabilities?
  • Reply 177 of 200
    "Hello, I'm a MacTouch."

"And I'm a PC. Wait, did you say touch??"

"Well, yeah. I have a touch-based intuitive interface, like the iPhone."

"Touch, eh? Let me try..."

"PC stop that. PC...PC??!? STOP HUMPING MY LEG"
  • Reply 178 of 200
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Guess what dude? Apple just annouced that Jan 27th will indeed hold and event. They want to show their "Latest Creation".

Well everyone, It's on!!!!!!!

I figured it would come around Mod-week. This makes me think It's going to be bigger than usual.
  • Reply 179 of 200
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I figured it would come around Mod-week. This makes me think It's going to be bigger than usual.

Mod week? Bigger than usaual? Please explain?
  • Reply 180 of 200
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Mod week? Bigger than usaual? Please explain?

mid-week. iPhone autocorrect \