Chinese newspaper claims 22-inch touchscreen iMac coming in 2010

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple will ship a new version of its iMac all-in-one desktop this year with a 22-inch touchscreen panel display.

Citing the Chinese-language newspaper the Commercial Times, Taiwanese industry trade publication DigiTimes reported Monday that the 22-inch iMac would be in addition to the current 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs, which do not have touchscreen panels. Taiwan-based Sintek Photronic was said to supply the screen, while Quanta will allegedly handle the production of the hardware.

Via its Web site, Sintek currently offers touchscreen panels ranging in size from 2.8 inches to 12 inches. There are no 22-inch panels listed.

Though the Commercial Times is generally somewhat reliable when it comes to Apple-related rumors, the newspaper did report last year that Apple was building a netbook that would feature a touchscreen display. While it's possible the displays referenced in last year's report could be headed to Apple's long-rumored tablet, Apple has never produced a low-cost netbook.

In October, Apple refreshed its iMac desktop line with a new, glossy, LED-backlit screen. The new iMac line, starting at $1,199, ships with a wireless keyboard and the all-new multi-touch Magic Mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    Has anyone tried holding their arms out, pointing at a screen, try that for 10 seconds and hold, and repeat. After about a minute your arms ache. What a stupid idea. Fine for iSlate or Tablets, but not desktop computers, will never happen. And you will be cleaning the screen every 5 minutes.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    There's no way in heck I'm gonna lean over the top of my desk to interact with my computer, it's just not going to happen!
  • Reply 3 of 59
    bogus.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Why not? We got somewhat used to 22" screens while Apple's ultimate ones are just measuring 21,5" and 27".
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Agreed. Tried using my friend's HP touch screen when the first models came out. It's cool when you see it in demo for a few short actions but it very quickly becomes tiring. My friend doesn't even use it anymore. They're back to just using the keyboard and mouse. Not a good idea at all so I am hoping the source got it wrong and that the 22" inch is for something else. Any extended use of the touchscreen would be physically painful, while limited use would make it an unjustifiable cost to add to a product. What a gimmick for desktops.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    I'm really doubting this as at a desk, no one wants to sit close enough to comfortably make gestures on a 22-inch screen. That would be about 2ft away, waayyy too close to view without eye stress. Besides, a mouse is much more precise within desktop applications. I realize that touchscreen versions of apps could be made, but this really rings false to me.

Besides, fingers never worked well with glossy screens (much less slick plastic Apple mice).
  • Reply 7 of 59
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Unless Apple has decided to develop their POS software to run under OS X so that they can sell it with Touchscreen iMacs and Tablets there wouldn't really be any Market/use for it. Bogus me thinks.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    It could be useful for certain tasks but I imagine these machines would still be used primarily with a keyboard & mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    I doubt this rumor has merit, especially for the start; down the road, there could be commercial applications for larger touch screens that are wall, stand, or armature mounted.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Total BS
  • Reply 11 of 59
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Did any of you watch Balmers pathetic CES Keynote speech?

Did anyone notice that the monitors of the PCs that he touted were all smudged up from being touched. It look unprofessional to the Max, and so to is this idea.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Not a good idea at all so I am hoping the source got it wrong and that the 22" inch is for something else.

Maybe we'll see it in a 22" tablet? That would be awesome!
  • Reply 13 of 59
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

Has anyone tried holding their arms out, pointing at a screen, try that for 10 seconds and hold, and repeat. After about a minute your arms ache. What a stupid idea. Fine for iSlate or Tablets, but not desktop computers, will never happen. And you will be cleaning the screen every 5 minutes.

stylus
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Maybe we'll see it in a 22" tablet? That would be awesome!

Yep plenty of uses for that.

And I'm not being sarcastic.

Music industry is gagging for a device of just that size. Imagine a DJ platter, decks would be a thing of the past. Imagine synthesiser controls. etc
  • Reply 15 of 59
    I wondered if it's only touch-screen keyboard instead of regular keyboard for the new iMac? You can zoom, pinch, etc. on the keyboard w/o getting your arm tired. I hope they don't implement the touch-screen technology on iMac's screen, just the keyboard. We shall see
  • Reply 16 of 59
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I call total BS on this one.

Its a freakin ergonomic nightmare.

Does HP and others actually look into the usability of something like this?

Obviously no.

I see most here agree.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Anyone with common sense knows this won't happen.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Even if Mac OS X had a iphone like interface, it still wouldn't fly - news is candy for Apple noobs...
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Touch screens look cool on Star Trek, but I shudder at the ergonomics. And honestly, who wants a smudgy screen all of the time?
  • Reply 20 of 59
    What if the 22 inch multitouch screen was not supposed to be the primary monitor, but a big touchscreen input device to be used in addition to the primary monitor, perhaps layed down flat in front of the user? Perhaps to replace both the keyboard and the mouse?

It could mirror the primary display to add touch input while maintaining a (potentially bigger) primary display in the normal upright position. This would lessen the paradigm shift (and ergonomic solutions) needed to adopt touchscreen home computing compared to purely upright touchscreens or purely tabletop touchscreens.

Sure there would be a learning curve getting finger placement correct whilst fixing your gaze at the primary monitor, but a similar curve applies to touch typing too. And it's not uncommon to sneak a peek at your fingers while typing now, so perhaps it won't be uncommon with this device to sneak a peek at your fingers to do some manipulation that you previously did with the mouse.

Obviously there are some big issues with size, cost, ease of use, OS integration, lack of benefit, etc etc, which may be insurmountable, but it could be an avenue worth exploring. The mouse is so good at everything it does, it would be hard to imagine replacing it any time soon.

Is 22 inches about the footprint of a current keyboard + mouse, assuming the mouse becomes a multitouch trackpad?