Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

did mactripper (teckstud) take the day off?

Wasn't he banned or something?
  • Reply 42 of 299
    If it doesn't turn into a hover board at the multi-touch of a button I'm gonna be pissed.
  • Reply 43 of 299
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That was my first thought as well. The spray paint motif is more graffiti than fine art.

But this seems also pertinent, since that kind of color splash certainly alludes to creative pursuits.

Maybe Apple is signaling (and they do use their product even announcement graphics to signal) both handwriting recognition and useful paint and drawing software.

personally, as much as i like this graphic, i would have rather seen a mess of fingerpainting with the apple logo cutting through that instead...maybe too literal?
  • Reply 44 of 299
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Na na na na!

One more time now...
  • Reply 45 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Everybody knows what a Rorschach Test is, right? It's where you look at a bunch of blotches and tell the nice man what you see. I see a yellow birdie being devoured by a purple crocodile. The nice man will be taking me to back to my rubber room very soon now.

Honestly, I think Apple is having us on just a little. I think this is, literally, a Rorschach Test. Everybody has seen what they wanted to see in all the rumors, so they put out an announcement that looks like a Rorschach Test. I'd say, somebody at Apple has a sense of humor.

And it's still working!

OK, if this is a Rorschach Test, I see increased shareholder value.

• Reply 46 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_nielsen View Post

Now if Steve has done his magic and made the publishing houses agree on a common plan where you can buy articles for: 9cent a pop and watch TV shows for 99cent per episode. Then the table will rule.

I've been wondering about this, too. I recently read The Perfect Thing, the history of the iPod development, and it made a pretty good case for Apple saving the music industry by implementing a new business model. It does seem that the newspaper and magazine industries are ready for the same kind of transformation, and Apple has proven they can do it.

I already have a laptop and don't see a need for a smaller "production" device, but if the iPod touch is a "consumption" device then I could see the value of a larger screen. It would be pretty cool if all the books and magazines I wanted to read were loaded onto that device, in the same way that my whole music collection is loaded onto my iPod.

The biggest problem I see is that I can't rip the books on my bookshelf, and I'm sure not going to buy them all again.
  • Reply 47 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

OK, if this is a Rorschach Test, I see increased shareholder value.

Careful, there's still an open bunk in the rubber room.
  • Reply 48 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

The grey line that outlines the paint splatter on the invitation flyer with radial corners at the top...is that an indication of the size of the tablet screen? Interesting...

I thought the same. If the Apple logo is the same size as on notebooks, it looks about right for the rumoured sizes bounding about.
  • Reply 49 of 299
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Really the invitation in no way implies a tablet. Maybe Apple just wants to remain cryptic about it until the last second or there will not be a tablet announcement. If there is no tablet announcement, I have to say that if Apple is criticized for not making one, those doing the complaining need to keep in mind that Apple has never said it will bring such a product to market.

In any case, what I really want is an update on the cinema displays including a price reduction. I'm in the market for a monitor and I'm waiting until Jan. 27 in the hope that it will pay off. Any one know the odds of that happening?

Creation implies that it isn't an update, so the invitation does imply a brand new product in the Apple lineup. Right now, the only rumored brand new product would be a tablet. Thus it does imply that the tablet announcement is coming. Of course, maybe they have created something else entirely that has had zero leaks thus far (although that seems unlikely).

There could be other announcements too (updated macbook pros?), but it looks like the focus will be on the tablet. I'm personally betting that Apple will be having another event in the relatively new future. One focussed on video: new 1080p apple tv (possibly with apps), 720p iPod/iPhone dock, updated iTunes Store (1080p, subscription/streaming?), possible blu-ray build to order options, etc. If that were actually to happen, I would expect your cinema displays there. We'll just have to wait until the 27th to see what they do introduce.
  • Reply 50 of 299
    Its genius if they release this thing during tax season a.k.a tax return season...
  • Reply 51 of 299
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    With the creative theme of the invite, I'm hoping for a new release of Aperture with a companion mobile version for the tablet. Aperture is long overdue for an update, and a tablet would be the perfect field device for photographers to preview their images on. And there are already iPhone apps that can control your camera. A tablet version would be even better. No more taking my MBP along on trips just to back up and organize my photos.

Ok, maybe asking for an upgrade to Aperture as part of this release is a bit much to ask; but a multi-touch version of iPhoto would rock!
  • Reply 52 of 299
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Maybe Apple is signaling (and they do use their product even announcement graphics to signal) both handwriting recognition and useful paint and drawing software.

That's what it seems like to me. The image is quite child-like - when kids get their very first experience of art, it's finger painting and it often resembles the kind of image shown.

The color scheme does remind me of AMOLED adverts:

We'll have to see on that aspect but those displays are expensive so unless this is going to be some Macbook Air replacement, it'll most likely be standard LCD.
  • Reply 53 of 299
    What I see is that if you examine the word "latest" you will it is almost an anagram for the word "slate". After forming the word "slate", you do have one letter remaining which is the letter "t". And as we all know, "T" is the first letter in the word "tablet"!

Come, see our slate (tablet) creation!

It's so simple, a caveman could understand it!
  • Reply 54 of 299
    Everyone's staying its a tablet, what's Apple's really going to be releasing is the iDol. Its shaped like Steve jobs and determines how you should run your life for you while giving your thanks to the (co-)creator. The iDol will be priced $1999 plus a monthly fee that will be arbitrarily determined at the iDol's whim. Failure to pay said monthly fee will result in the user being known as cheap and being ridiculed by the community.

Or it could just be a Snow Leopard or iPhone OS-based tablet.
  • Reply 55 of 299
    Oh jesus, they're going to make them a dozen different colors like the iPod Nano and first iBooks.

The teaser makes me think this is more geared toward the graphic design, photo and entertainment industry with probably mobile versions of Aperture or iPhoto and a painting program.
  • Reply 56 of 299
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple does not stream video of their live events.

You can follow it liveblogged on various tech sites (Cnet, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc.).

At some later point in time (usually a day or two), they will upload video footage to their own website.

Indeed. However gdgt is much better than the above and I'd recommend you give them a shot.
  • Reply 57 of 299
    Is it just me who would find it hilarious if Steve came on stage and just said something like, "we've re-designed our website" then wandered off!
  • Reply 58 of 299
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Heh. I guess it is a Rorschach Test, in that we're all seeing what we want to see.

Hey, maybe that's it-- the tablet can be anything you want it to be.

I am sure that's exactly what it means. It's something totally new and different and has multiple uses. Imagine the number of apps that will be available a year from now on an 10" iPod Touch like device. It can't really be classified but it is a new creation. Some (specially around here) may even call it a piece of art ;-)
  • Reply 59 of 299
    I am betting on a tablet and a new paint app to show off the features.
  • Reply 60 of 299
    And here it is, folks.

Boom.