Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean it will be an abstract mess that many will say that my child could have created it?

We'd better hope not!

No, I am just commenting on the form of art used in the invitation. And, well Jackson Pollock is the one who revolutionized art with this particular style.

Whatever anybodies opinion on his art may be: In art, as in Interface design, coming up with the most simple - almost childlike - idea, is the most difficult thing to achieve. And, that is exactly what we have come to expect from Apple:

Revolutionary, yes. But also simple as child's play. Apple Style!

I don't think this invitation tells us anything about the device. Nothing. And that is just good and smart.
  • Reply 102 of 299
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heulenwolf View Post

Looks like someone shot the Nano pallet with a shotgun. I guess that means the announcement is going to blow us all away

The color palette is classic ROY G BIV
  • Reply 103 of 299
    ]
    Quote:

What are we to make of the graphics? Is it some kind of Rorschach Test?

Apple is normally very careful of the images they use and their inference.

I think the artistic graphics signal that the device is designed to be used for more than just consumption of digital data. What better means are there for creation of extemporaneous drawings, paintings and sketches?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...new-level.html

http://brushesapp.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ4C9...layer_embedded

The Tablet with the fingers and/or an optional pressure-sensitive stylus, would raise digital painting (and editing) to a new level.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Tablet available in colors like the nano?

Or the announcements is iPhone mini avail in colors and no tablet at all

If the devices are inexpensive enough, a household may use multiples: one for each family member; one for the kitchen; one for the couch, etc.

If so, different-colored devices would help to identify which belongs to whom.

"
  • Reply 104 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Emerging from and replacing the confusion of multiple [paint splatters], Apple stands on the solid background of [a calming color], shining with a simple, familiar white purity which cuts through ALL the clutter.

It is a very powerful and evocative image. Apple must have just about the best PR firm in the world.

Not to burst your bubble, but orange is not a "calming colour" in any universe I ever inhabited. More like the exact opposite.
  • Reply 105 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I have this very same problem with Movies. The one thing that bugs me about iTunes movies is i can't rip the movies i own.

Sure you can, at least for DVDs.

There are utilities (e.g., MacTheRipper) for stripping out the copy protection from commercial DVDs (you will have to do your own research about the legality of this in your area). There are other utilities (e.g. Handbrake) that will transcode the content for use in various devices like the iPhone.

Just Google "rip DVD Mac" or "rip DVD Windows".
  • Reply 106 of 299
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The color palette is classic ROY G BIV

Bzzzzzzzz... Nope. There is no "G"ray or "P"ink in ROY G BIV.
  • Reply 107 of 299
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

This is great!

Apple seems to have the best PR firm in the world. I'm hoping the tablet is insanely great.

Yes, we Mac fans
  • Reply 108 of 299
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It's rare that Apple fails to make multiple annoouncements. With all that press there, why wouldn't Apple avail itself of free PR?

In the past Apple has used trade shows to launch new stuff but the company isn't going to do that any more.

There is little likelihood that Apple will gather the media on the 27th and only make one announcement. Other items are going to be updated and it's a logical venue for such announcements.

My argument wasn't over how many anouncements they were going to make. In fact, if this tablet is the big announcement, it will likely be a device that bridges the gap between many devices (i.e. iphone to the macbook). I wasn't saying they would only annouce a tablet, rather the tablet will be the only NEW product. My guess is that the tablet announcement will be the last thing they introduce. See earlier posts for details. I think the new OS versions for the ATV, iPhone/iPod touch OS and soforth will be the main announcements and then the tablet will demonstrate how those updates will bridge the gap between the iPod and the Macbook.
  • Reply 109 of 299
    Quote:

Emerging from and replacing the confusion of multiple [paint splatters], Apple stands on the solid background of [a calming color], shining with a simple, familiar white purity which cuts through ALL the clutter.

It is a very powerful and evocative image. Apple must have just about the best PR firm in the world.

yes - that's who they are. perfect vision Mr. iGenius.
  • Reply 110 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daggermann View Post

... well Jackson Pollock is the one who revolutionized art with this particular style.

Whatever (sic) anybodies opinion on his art may be: In art, as in Interface design, coming up with the most simple - almost childlike - idea, is the most difficult thing to achieve. ... Revolutionary...

Sorry, but this is the second time you've said this about Pollock and it's absolute nonsense.

Jackson Pollock is not very well thought of in most art circles anymore and was essentially a one trick pony exposed even in his own lifetime as a bit of a deceptive hack. The kind of "childlike simplicity" you see in this invitation it *not* actually "the most difficult thing to achieve" either.

To say that Jackson Pollock "revolutionised" anything (let alone all art), with his works is a bad joke. Some people still like his paintings, but even they would not argue that he was the "revolutionary" figure you are making him out to be. He's a minor artist at best.
  • Reply 111 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daggermann View Post

To my eyes this invitation is a homage to the revolutionary artist Jackson Pollock.

Quote:

You mean it will be an abstract mess that many will say that my child could have created it?

• Reply 112 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The color scheme does remind me of AMOLED adverts:

Possibly although those are the colours of the latest iPod Nano lineup. Whatever it means it's designed to keep us guessing.
  • Reply 113 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Heh. I guess it is a Rorschach Test, in that we're all seeing what we want to see.

Hey, maybe that's it-- the tablet can be anything you want it to be.

...and we have a winner!

• Reply 114 of 299
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpsoraire View Post

I just saw the official invitation...hmmm, a rectangular shaped object with colors all inside of it, an Apple Logo, and the phrase "come see our creation". If this isn't a big enough hint of a Tablet, Apple has a wicked sense of humor....lol.

HERE'S MY PREDICTION.

you know how everyone keeps predicting the new name of the tablet? Well given this new invitation it looks like a paint palette.

I will officailly call this the "iPalette".

It's a device where you can mix and compile all your favorite colors (tasks, apps) together on a thin board, all within a finger's reach!

Now maybe this marketing invitation is a metphor for the device, however, several interviews with rumor-ville shows that the name of the device is something that hints more at it's function than the traditional "slate" or "Tablet".
  • Reply 115 of 299
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Apple is releasing bad 80's art?

Tired of seeing good art and advertising around you? Well with the iPollock, you too can create gawd awful 80's art and tote it around in your rainbow man purse.
  • Reply 116 of 299
    Well, let the speculation begin. Here is what I imagine will happen...

1-Steve Jobs comes out and tells us all about Apple and the Mac brand for the past year. (It may even be an opportunity to acknowledge the stories around the 27" iMacs and lay out Apple's plans to deal with them, but I don't see this happening. Could be a really classy move though, and a great way with dealing with the negative PR that has gone around. If the way the are taking care of it will satisfy a lot of people, it could help whet the pallet. However, I think they will focus on the future.)

2- Steve Jobs will go through one or two upgrades of Apple products. The upgrades wont be major (speed bumps for MBPs for example). The point is to build the suspense.

3- There is going to be something else. I don't know what but I have this feeling SJ is going to f*ck with us a little bit. Something else, maybe software related, is getting an upgrade. Perhaps iPhone 4.0? Or maybe an announcement that Apple is putting the iPhone on T-Mobile or even Verizon (HA! I wish! Not yet, methinks). In either case, there is going to be something that seems big but isn't. It is nothing but time filler. Then, SJ is going to make like he is going to leave, that we have seen it all and start to leave...

4-"Oh yeah, one more thing! MOTHAH F*CKING TABLET! BAM!" He will go through all the features and abilities. All anyone will see and hear is the Holy Light and Songs of Angels!

So that is what I think is gonna happen. :-P
  • Reply 117 of 299
    Lots of vibrant cluttered colours permeated by a clean crisp Apple logo. It this Apple wiping the slate clean? Clever eh
  • Reply 118 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sorry, but this is the second time you've said this about Pollock and it's absolute nonsense.

Jackson Pollock is not very well thought of in most art circles anymore and was essentially a one trick pony exposed even in his own lifetime as a bit of a deceptive hack. The kind of "childlike simplicity" you see in this invitation it *not* actually "the most difficult thing to achieve" either.

To say that Jackson Pollock "revolutionised" anything (let alone all art), with his works is a bad joke. Some people still like his paintings, but even they would not argue that he was the "revolutionary" figure you are making him out to be. He's a minor artist at best.

please, mind you words my friend.

if you care to have a conversation: sure, we could exchange ideas. But I have the feeling you might be here for something else ... let me just say: your style is not very well thought of...
  • Reply 119 of 299
    Running out the door, so no time to read the comments, but could it possibly be Apple saying that other tablet manufacturers have basically just been throwing paint on the wall, hoping it will stick, while the very clear Apple logo in the corner shows that Apple has a very clear vision of what a tablet really needs to be?

Just wondering...

Comments?

/gotta run
  • Reply 120 of 299
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    So the colors mean nothing other then the fact that Apple will be showing the tablet, and all that it can do.

- Show off the up-date to Aperture

- Show off Apple's version of PS (or are they buying Adobe?)

- Show off all of the software they own, and how much more "Colorful" it is on the "Tablet" or is it "aBlet"

- Show how the new Quicktime is interactive, and how easy and cool it is working with it, on the new ablet.

It will have stand as an option, so you can do a "Keynote Presentation" and then lean it up for others to watch.

Now what can you do on, with this, that you can't do with a laptop, or will be boil down to the price?

So let's start guessing what you can't do with the iPhone, iPod's, iMac's, Laptops and that's what you can do with the ablet.

Skip