Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 299
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Whoever is going to the event please PLEASE set your laptop's webcam to stream a live video feed. I just CAN NOT miss this live event this time!!!!

Apple built-in the cams so bloggers couldn't stream and live blog the event at the same time. Cunning plan Dr. Evil.
  • Reply 162 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_nielsen View Post

Hi

There might be more to the invitation ...

iTunes is based on standard format acc and making that also the de-factor standard with the success of the iPod. And it pushed the other formats away.

Today with online media we have a similar situation with flash and online book formats. Apple can with html 5 and canvas change it with another hardware hit.

http://stairwellblog.com/2009/03/is-...-end-of-flash/

It will make the quality of the browser very important. Microsoft will again be in a poor situation with IE and so many different strategies.

I still have these points as the important tech changes to look for on the 27th

1. iPhone apps on mac os x instead of widgets

2. HTML 5 and canvas for online publications. Super tools for the content creators

3. The iTablet working as an interactive touch pad when connected to a Mac.

4. Mac OS X iWork and iLife apps working on the iTable in fullscreen only mode. One app running at a time.

5. iTable support for iPhone apps.

Regards

Unfortunately, Internet standards take far longer than AV standards to be brought out, and it's much harder for one party to push for a standard's approval and adoption because of the large number of powerful players involved. HTML 5 is currently targeted for approval in 2022...and that's not a joke. Apple may still make use of HTML 5 technologies, but it won't appear to be a standards-embracing gesture, but rather some kind of pre-standard, semi-interoperable offering that won't make developers very happy.
  • Reply 163 of 299
    I don't read the boards much anymore, but did people give up on iSlate when HP's Slate was announced? I think Canvas is a great name, except it's being used for something in the computing industry already and might be a source of great headache for Apple Legal.

I think that the colors could be a direct hit at Amazon and Sony's use of e-ink that's not quite ready for market in color yet.

If any product in this family that is announced has 3G, then it will likely use the iTunes Store to control application distribution. Which is going to mean that iTunes will be needed to sync this device. While Apple have done a great job with this with the iPod touch and iPhone, not being able to run any application available for OS X will be the thing that makes a tablet far less functional for me.

Also, the SNR in the app store is way too low, and this won't help things at all, with the confusion of what apps run on what hardware (yes, this is several complaints rolled up into one). The app store is also currently pretty difficult to navigate effectively in my opinion.
  • Reply 164 of 299
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple built-in the cams so bloggers couldn't stream and live blog the event at the same time. Cunning plan Dr. Evil.

What? Really?

I guess PC based laptops are good for something after all.....besides pc games I mean.
  • Reply 165 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The color palette is classic ROY G BIV

ROY G BIV + Silver + Gray, sure . I was referring the visual effect of going from the image of the Nanos with their dripping paint to the invitation image moreso than the color content of the images.

Regardless, I really hope Apple knocks it out of the park, whatever it is. It'd be nice to have some inspiring tech news instead of dwelling on the disappointments of the Nexus One, over-hyped 3DTV junk from CES that nobody wants, or the prospect of a cyber-cold-war with China.

Given the modern art theme of the Apple invitation, I'm afraid its going to be more of a "Huh?" and less of an "Ah-hah" experience (like viewing paint-splatter modern art is to me). For example, if it really is a low power tablet they're releasing at the speculated $800 price point, there had better be some super-nifty, market-redefining, never-before-seen interfaces that make it easy to use, some great content that we may already have or want but haven't found the right device for, and equally killer applications to justify that price. Otherwise, I'll be sticking with my $300 netbook, thanks. Also, if its another 3G-dependent device locked to a single wireless carrier, no matter which carrier that is, I'm not the least bit interested no matter what it does. Yet another device that locks us into long term, multi-thousand dollar, monopolistic contracts is a waste of silicon, in my opinion.
  • Reply 166 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wait, are you talking about macbooks? Please explain further.
  • Reply 167 of 299
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hodgkin View Post

I don't read the boards much anymore, but did people give up on iSlate when HP's Slate was announced?

Why would yet another iteration of MS's largely ignored Windows "tablet edition" on yet another PC manufacturer's slate cause anyone to "give up" on an Apple product? MS thinks that what we want is Windows with some touch stuff bolted on. The market has declared otherwise, save for some niche vertical markets. Doing that yet again with the extra Windows 7 magic won't change anything.

Quote:

I think Canvas is a great name, except it's being used for something in the computing industry already and might be a source of great headache for Apple Legal.

Agreed.

Quote:

I think that the colors could be a direct hit at Amazon and Sony's use of e-ink that's not quite ready for market in color yet.

Not really seeing that. Outside of being generically "colors", which could allude to pretty much anything, they're specifically the colors used in the current Nano lineup.

Quote:

If any product in this family that is announced has 3G, then it will likely use the iTunes Store to control application distribution. Which is going to mean that iTunes will be needed to sync this device. While Apple have done a great job with this with the iPod touch and iPhone, not being able to run any application available for OS X will be the thing that makes a tablet far less functional for me.

How are you going to make good use of your existing OS X apps when they weren't designed for touch? It's not like there's some toggle that Apple can include to make existing apps magically effective under an entirely different UI.

Again, MS puts full-on Windows on these things, and it just makes it awkward and doesn't really answer the question "What is this for, exactly?" I think we can trust that Apple will design a UI and variant of OS X that is tightly coupled to whatever hardware they design. I imagine that developers will be free to adopt their apps to the new system, if they think it makes sense.

Quote:

Also, the SNR in the app store is way too low, and this won't help things at all, with the confusion of what apps run on what hardware (yes, this is several complaints rolled up into one). The app store is also currently pretty difficult to navigate effectively in my opinion.

I say this all the time, but how would that be different from how you find software for any computer? The S/N ratio of the internet, or the world, is surely lower than that of even the App Store, yet people have fared pretty well sorting through stuff to find what they want.

Even if sales of Tablet apps are limited to a Tablet section of the App Store, all that means is that you have a single place to go get them. The establishing of their existence, desirability and relative worth can happen through the usual channels, just like now.
  • Reply 168 of 299

This Rorschach image is obviously Steve Jobs holding up the Slate. What, you don't see it?
  • Reply 169 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heulenwolf View Post

ROY G BIV + Silver + Gray, sure . I was referring the visual effect of going from the image of the Nanos with their dripping paint to the invitation image moreso than the color content of the images.

Regardless, I really hope Apple knocks it out of the park, whatever it is. It'd be nice to have some inspiring tech news instead of dwelling on the disappointments of the Nexus One, over-hyped 3DTV junk from CES that nobody wants, or the prospect of a cyber-cold-war with China.

Given the modern art theme of the Apple invitation, I'm afraid its going to be more of a "Huh?" and less of an "Ah-hah" experience (like viewing paint-splatter modern art is to me). For example, if it really is a low power tablet they're releasing at the speculated $800 price point, there had better be some super-nifty, market-redefining, never-before-seen interfaces that make it easy to use, some great content that we may already have or want but haven't found the right device for, and equally killer applications to justify that price. Otherwise, I'll be sticking with my $300 netbook, thanks. Also, if its another 3G-dependent device locked to a single wireless carrier, no matter which carrier that is, I'm not the least bit interested no matter what it does. Yet another device that locks us into long term, multi-thousand dollar, monopolistic contracts is a waste of silicon, in my opinion.

I think they will hit it out of the park. And I dare say you will desire to own whatever it is they made.
  • Reply 170 of 299
    Another prediction... from an interface point of view, the screen will go "beyond touch" and will understand the proximity of your hand/fingers from up to 50mm away.

...it'll be velocity sensitive and will have an 'analog' feel to it and will open up a whole new way of controlling the device without touching the screen.

...when you do touch the screen, a very small current is very quickly passed through your fingertips in a 'haptic feedback' manner making screen taps feel like clicking a button.
  • Reply 171 of 299
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    iCanvas or iPalette.
  • Reply 172 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlynC View Post

Another prediction... from an interface point of view, the screen will go "beyond touch" and will understand the proximity of your hand/fingers from up to 50mm away.

...it'll be velocity sensitive and will have an 'analog' feel to it and will open up a whole new way of controlling the device without touching the screen.

...when you do touch the screen, a very small current is very quickly passed through your fingertips in a 'haptic feedback' manner making screen taps feel like clicking a button.

Proximity sensing will probably not be part of the control scheme. But more likely a highly advanced version of multi-touch with some sort of feedback system and other sensory stuff thrown in for good measure.
  • Reply 173 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

iCanvas or iPalette.

I still like Newton 2 with Graffiti 2 regardless of the reported bad blood between Jobs and the team responsible for that ill-fated project from 2002.
  • Reply 174 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlynC View Post

So it's Project Natal, but also zaps you when you touch it.

No thanks.
  • Reply 175 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

Unfortunately, Internet standards take far longer than AV standards to be brought out, and it's much harder for one party to push for a standard's approval and adoption because of the large number of powerful players involved. HTML 5 is currently targeted for approval in 2022...and that's not a joke. Apple may still make use of HTML 5 technologies, but it won't appear to be a standards-embracing gesture, but rather some kind of pre-standard, semi-interoperable offering that won't make developers very happy.

I know that standards are slow to be agreed upon, but Apple has pushed its use of tech that later become standard: wireless N, display adapter, html 5 implementation in web kit.

My point is that you can do alot with the HTML 5 / canvas support in Safari today and with good developlent / content tools it will work without the need of loading a virtual environment into the browser like flash.

Now Actionscript or Javascript is about the same bag of pain so perhaps Apple will do Web GL and open the iTable to a completely new wave of online games. Again build the support into Safari and Firefox and Chrome will follow within 3-6 months.

Try thinking content and game delivery into the product.
  • Reply 176 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

This Rorschach image is obviously Steve Jobs holding up the Slate. What, you don't see it?

I just see AAPL shareholders laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh, look, there's me.
  • Reply 177 of 299
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

scrap my first idea. it's updated iPod Socks

Ha! Nice one.
  • Reply 178 of 299
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OT, and sorry, but this is completely false. Pollock's reputation is absolutley secure in the history of American art, whatever you might personally think of his style, Abstract Expressionism in general, the biases of art criticism, curatorial pretensions, or the nature of how art history is written.

There was a huge career retrospective mounted at the MOMA and the Tate just about ten years ago, and let me assure you it was not done to bury the man or reevaluate his reputation downward. Tastes and styles in painting change, but you can't rewrite history. For American abstract art, and all that represented in the history of art, Pollock was a titan.

100% correct
  • Reply 179 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_nielsen View Post

Moving to a app store for all mac apps in 1-2 years time

That would probably be quickly challenged in court, and I would hope that Apple would lose. I think that it would be very bad for the consumer if Apple had the same control over all of the software developed for the Mac and it's distribution that they do over the software for the iPhone. Think of the potential abuse and conflict of interest. They compete against Adobe and Microsoft in a few products, if they wanted to they could just kill off those apps.
  • Reply 180 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

While it is commonly believed that the P.A. Semi engineers are working on new ARM designs, I am not sure if the timing is right.

These guys were previously working on PowerPC designs. I don't know if it is reasonable to think that they can come up to speed on a new architecture (ARM), design, tape out and release a new chip in a year and a half.

I'm sure that P.A. Semi-designed silicon will eventually show up in various Apple products, I don't know if the time is now and the tablet is the device. After all, the tablet has been a project going on for years and years. I would guess that a more likely CPU would be a multicore ARM Cortex-A9 in a more conventional design.

PA Semi was actually working on two architectures - ARM chips, and ultra low power PowerPC chips. So they are hitting the ground running, and it's been about 2 years since the purchase.

I assume that ARM design involves taking existing ARM technology - so that would already be there right? Then use their own power management tricks to improve. The better they understand power management, and better they understand ARM, the less power it might use.

Or am I misunderstanding the way ARM licensing works?

Quote:

More likely, a P.A. Semi-designed ARM chip would show up in the iPhone first, where power and space constraints would benefit the most from a system-on-a-chip design.

iPhone probably would benefit more, but both will be advantaged by better chips.