Apple's tablet announcement: games could be a focus, music unlikely

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Who agrees that at least 50% of iPhone app developers probably did NOT use scalable vector graphics when doing their programming?

For anyone who didn't, it's back to the drawing board, and probably no chance of it being "the same" app.

But then again, why should it be?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There are a lot of developers who use Adobe Illustrator to create graphics and illustrations (character designs, 2-D environments, UI elements, etc.), but the graphics format that is used by iPhone OS is PNG, not SVG.

Don't these two quotes contradict each other? A says, "should use SVG"; B says, "iPhone doesn't use SVG but PNG". Which is it and what is best practice?
  • Reply 42 of 82
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Don't these two quotes contradict each other? A says, "should use SVG"; B says, "iPhone doesn't use SVG but PNG". Which is it and what is best practice?

Original graphic made as SVG.

Scaled and saved as an iPhone compatible PNG.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Games.

I think between this 'tablet' and the other 'touch' products Apple has...

...Apple have finally conquered the gaming world. By accident or by design? A bit of both?

App store. Better distribution model. Easy to download. No packing. It's Direct to the User. Access.

Price. Cheaper game prices not seen since the C64 days! Affordability.

SDK. Easy to develop for. Floodgates open. No barrier to entry bar Apple's quality threshold policy.

Back to Basics. Games that focus on playability, simplicity. ie Fun.

Mainstream. Apple have taken the 'mainstream' music audience they have (iTunes users) and transferred that 'trust' to their 'games' store. (and they'll probably do the same with 'ebooks' in time...)

Honking mid-towers with cooling systems with 'so serious' FPS games...eclipsed by the iPhone/iPod and the pending iTab.

Good luck Nintendo and Sony. You're going to need it.

My only question is whether Apple will use Nvidia's Tiger GPU or Power VR? I'm guessing the latter...

Apple are dismantling the old ways. From phone monopolies to games monopolies.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Meh, your trying to compare two different types of gaming. Mobile gaming and Console gaming. You are correct that Apple has conquered the mobile gaming arena, but they are no where near conquering the Console gaming arena... unless this tablet is going to hook up to my livingroom TV, which it could, if Apple is smart.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I said it a few weeks back ? Steve / someone is going to show off "Asteroids and Ms. Pacman and Space Invaders".

Gamers will no longer be able to say anything negative or bad about Apple not being a gamers machine.

Now they may still choose not to purchase the "ablet", because it is an APPLE after-all, but they won't be able to say any thing negative.

Can you say "wii", PS3, and other game toys. If you think this wouldn't be worth it, tell those who own, market and see these units?

YES, it will have to be one hell of a unit to steal sales away, but this is Apple / Steve J. folks.

I know it won't be the only use or marketing of this unit, but it will be a large part of it.

Skip
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

iPhone games seem to be doing just fine.

What makes you think like that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

You don't need a dedicated controller, just write games that lend themselves to being touch-driven.

This is why iPhone games are by now behind classic platforms in usability and scenic quality.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:

Well, it's called being creative. The basic controller scheme for console games has not changed in 2 decades and no other other style has become even a little popul.......oh, wait......the iPhone/iPod touch changed all of that. Ok, so what's the next step in multi-touch gaming?

My first answer would be, MORE screen real estate. A 10" sounds like it blow that request out of teh water.

What's next? More input methods? Something more substantial than the accelerometer?

Really? You're seriously gonna compete with 102" screen game run on CBEA?
  • Reply 47 of 82
    I would love to see Apple create some little wifi receiver gadget which hooks into your HDTV's dvi/vga adapter - so then you could control your whole TV experience with a tablet! I can totally see that being VERY useful - and awesome, don't ya think?!
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Really? You're seriously gonna compete with 102" screen game run on CBEA?

wtf are you talking about?

Mobile gaming does not directly compete with console gaming, but indirectly very much so. If a person sees the value in a $300 iPod touch that has tens of thousands of games ranging from Free - $15, with the average around $3, they might very well spend the majority of available "game time" and "game money" on this high value option, instead of funding their Xbox or PS3 with $50 games.

In the mobile space itself, the iPhone OS left Nintendo and Sony far behind in terms of value and now installed user base. In 3 years. That is staggering to say the very least.

I think you need to do some more research on the success of iPhone/iPodtouch gaming, and the number of people who own 100" TVs.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:

wtf are you talking about?

Mobile gaming does not directly compete with console gaming, but indirectly very much so. If a person sees the value in a $300 iPod touch that has tens of thousands of games ranging from Free - $15, with the average around $3, they might very well spend the majority of available "game time" and "game money" on this high value option, instead of funding their Xbox or PS3 with $50 games.

In the mobile space itself, the iPhone OS left Nintendo and Sony far behind in terms of value and now installed user base. In 3 years. That is staggering to say the very least.

I think you need to do some more research on the success of iPhone/iPodtouch gaming, and the number of people who own 100" TVs.

I think you just need to try gaming on iPhone. You'll see.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I think the next generation of Apple Games will be very surprising because of the tablet horsepower and screen size.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If games were a focus of the tablet, it shouldn't be a great surprise. Apple and its App Store developers have found great success in making games for the existing iPhone and iPod touch platforms. Last year, well-known game developers like EA and Konami began to embrace the App Store and bring some of their high-profile franchises.

The game World of Warcraft could help sell the device. Over 10 million people in this franchise alone.

With a touch screen that's ideal for the WoW interface and very portable so that people can play it anywhere, it would be a great device for those types of games.

If gaming will be a focus, I'd expect nothing less than Tegra 2. 9400M paired with Atom would be even better but if they are aiming for battery life and forcing people to pay for games all over again, Tegra is a better option.

I hope that drawing will be more important than games though.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I think you just need to try gaming on iPhone. You'll see.

You might not like it, but more than 50 million users and growing, are spending to a different tune. Download stats don't lie. Cash in the pocket doesn't lie either.

And Nintendo whining about, "Why does anyone need HD?" doesn't help their piss poor situation either.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed, I think a new version of the OS for the tablet and associated SDK is inevitable. I suspect the current iPhone OS will run 'as is' within a special window (supporting cut/copy/paste) so all that is available on the apps store is useable and all in your iTunes library/apps will sync onto the tablet immediately. This gives the tablet 100,000 apps from day one with the release of full screen dedicated apps following asap along with whatever Apple has all ready, iLife 2010 etc. including a new MacPaint hopefully . I can imagine upgrade specials pricing from iPhone to Tablet versions of many apps being offered by the apps store.

I agree.

However, I contend that there will be a new SDK day one, i.e., January 27, which will give the developer the necessary tools to immediately port their iPhone/iPod touch apps to the new device. In effect, the current 136,429 and growing apps as cataloged by Macworld* could be available on launch day in March.

As Apple has done before, and for the current crop of developers, the new SDK will be a no-brainer.

More importantly, developers are already in the throws of refining or designing new iterations and new apps based on the increased screen size. I imagine that many developers will not simply adjust the resolution but increase functionality of their apps. And some will undoubtedly revise their business model based on the improved features.

As far as iLife 2010, I think that it will include a graphic program that will combine Pages/Numbers/Keynote with the likes of iPhoto, iMovie and a paint/illustration application to enable the creation of ebooks and hard-copy editions. in other words an 'iPub', much the same as the iTunes store. Certainly, Apple's latest forays and the building of the billion dollar server farm would indicate that something like this is in the wind.

And we should all take into account there are a lot more 'authors' than programmers. Being able to access all the content you want is one thing. Being able to create and distribute it yourself in another.

Coming January 27, Apple will be just the beginning of getting the 'cloud' off the ground.' The goal by the end of March, will be to get it into the atmosphere. But lets face it, expect this 'latest creation' will drive it quickly into the stratosphere.

*http://www.macworld.com/appguide/index.html
  • Reply 54 of 82
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Apple has locked up the casual handheld gaming market. If the tablet (and the 4th gen iphone casing for that matter) has extra multi-touch controls in the back of the unit then Apple will also lock up the handheld hardcore gaming market. For instance, first person shooters and other similar games.

Man o man o man!
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

You might not like it, but more than 50 million users and growing, are spending to a different tune. Download stats don't lie. Cash in the pocket doesn't lie either.

And Nintendo whining about, "Why does anyone need HD?" doesn't help their piss poor situation either.

Yeah. PSP reports growth by hundreds of per cent, too. And a lot of reviewers note "laborious" manner of gaming on iPhone, which takes us back to the point, iPhone does not deliver useable game controller.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quantity of games sold doesn't equal quality. Just because the iPhone sells a boatload of games doesn't mean it's the best gaming platform. Look at Wii, it sells tons of games too but you can count the number of good games on one hand. iPhone games are good for when you are bored and on the go, but I've yet to hear or see a game for it that gets people excited or gets critical acclaim.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Quantity of games sold doesn't equal quality. Just because the iPhone sells a boatload of games doesn't mean it's the best gaming platform. Look at Wii, it sells tons of games too but you can count the number of good games on one hand. iPhone games are good for when you are bored and on the go, but I've yet to hear or see a game for it that gets people excited or gets critical acclaim.

True, but having a higher performance gaming device also doesn't mean the gaming is more enjoyable.

The only thing that is certain and is to the benefit of gamers with iPhones and Touches is that the larger the install base and the more sales game developers feel they can make the more likely increased investments into games will occur. If you [buy] it they will come.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The game World of Warcraft could help sell the device. Over 10 million people in this franchise alone. ...

I dunno. The tablet is a mobile device.

Do you really want to be playing WoW or Second Life or stuff like that at the local coffee shop? Or on the bus?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If Apple ever releases a gaming console, it will be in the form of an updated Apple TV with apps. They wouldn't make a dedicated console, and thus the games probably wouldn't be quite as good as what Sony and Microsoft would have at that time.

I would have thought that's the logical progression. At the moment AppleTV just feels like a loose end if Apple added an AppStore (and BBC iPlayer) it would really start to appeal to a much wider market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiRAGe View Post

If it is an Apple branded gaming console, it would be expensive, high-end and super cool .. I guess.

Just like the last one then... Let hope they don't waste money including SCSI next time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Moreover, there's absolutely no allusion to games as a focus point in Apple's invitation letter, sporting those colorful splashes.