Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173
    If iPhone OS 4.0 is leaving early adopters, i.e. 1st Gen. iPhone 2.5G users in the dust, that will look bad on Apple. Instead introduce a subset of features on earlier devices, as the iPhone 3G is NOT much different in HW than the original!!
  • Reply 23 of 173
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by earthy View Post

Yesterday, someone on this forum (or elsewhere perhaps) noticed that the "latest" in the Apple Event invitation "Come see our latest creation" is a near anagram for "slate". ...

I think that post was a little silly though. "Close" only counts in horseshoes.

There is no such thing as a "near" anagram and if Apple was going to do something so tricky, they would just use, you know, an actual anagram.
  • Reply 24 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

iPad? What is it, a tampon?

I think iPad is not so bad of a name.

Despite idiotic remarks like yours, the menstrual reference is minor, only really applies in the USA and will be quickly forgotten if they chose that name. I mean, obviously you don't even know the difference between a pad or a tampon and most of those that have a a problem with the name would be similarly uninformed or juvenile.

All that being said, it does seem like they are leaning towards using the "Slate" word in one incarnation or another.

If I had to go out on a limb I would guess Apple Slate or Apple Tablet would be the name. Apple is all about being simple and clear, even if it's boring.
  • Reply 25 of 173
    There's no way it's going to be called iTablet or iSlate because it doesn't sound right. As a matter of fact, I say it's not going to be named iAnything.
  • Reply 26 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by earthy View Post

Yesterday, someone on this forum (or elsewhere perhaps) noticed that the "latest" in the Apple Event invitation "Come see our latest creation" is a near anagram for "slate". While this sounds like a possible name, I can't help but wonder if they might bring back "iBook". The name has so many more associations than "(i)Slate" or "(i)Tablet": these two only bring to mind something flat you can write on at best, whereas "iBook" brings to mind something you open up and interact with. It's something that talks to you and the new tablet/slate would be much more of a "book" in terms of how you deal with it than the old iBook, plus its rumoured dimensions are much closer to those of an average book and you would actually hold it in your hand like a book. Like a book, the interface is something you move through with your fingers: you go where your fingers want and it yields its text and pictures where you take it; you can also write and doodle in it with your fingers...

I'm guessing "iBook" is back. But who knows, they may have hit upon another name with even better associations. Who knows?

For some reason, this message seems very.....carefully culled. Such a paragraph seems like from a higher knowledge than the everyday man. I really appreciate it and think that this is by far the most probably name for the tablet.
  • Reply 27 of 173
    How about this as a name for the tablet:

nTouch

This works on several levels.

1. It starts with a lower case prefix making it appear "hip" which it will be anyway.

2. The letter "N" will be a subtle referance to the Newton. The fact that the "N" is lower case will signify Steve's opinion of the Newton- especially in comparison with what's to come.

3. The second syllable is "Touch" which directly referes to the touch screen. The fact that the "T" is capitalized will signify that this is the device with which important things will start happening (in comparison with what came before it- see no. 2)

4. The name of the device is pronounced "in touch." This works on a couple levels just by itself. Access to the internet will doubtlessly enable this device to be a communications device allowing you to stay in touch with your friends. But it's also a book reading device signifying that it will help you stay in touch with what is going on in the world.

And there you have it.

Apple's latest creation.

nTouch

• Reply 28 of 173
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple is all about being simple and clear, even if it's boring.

I would like something more academic like:

Folio

Opus

Quarto
  • Reply 29 of 173
    how about it let you turn off the stupid spotlight page.

beyond that i hope they've worked on WAY better memory management if they're going to implement multitasking. The 3g's are bad enough as is with memory with only one app open (and safari never quiting) I'm glad there are apps to keep memory flowing for jailbroken phones.
  • Reply 30 of 173
    iTab

• Reply 31 of 173
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

If iPhone OS 4.0 is leaving early adopters, i.e. 1st Gen. iPhone 2.5G users in the dust, that will look bad on Apple. Instead introduce a subset of features on earlier devices, as the iPhone 3G is NOT much different in HW than the original!!

I don't see how it does. 2G owners are now out of contract and out of Applecare warranty. I'm beginning to believe that there is more of a difference than just processor speed between the 2G and 3G (or the processor difference is significant). Many new games on the App Store are leaving out 2G compatibility.
  • Reply 32 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Embarrassment is pretty extreme, most people have no expectation that their phone should mulit-task. There is a reason. You may or may not accept it, but it does exist.

It would've been extreme if I said it last year when iPhone 3.0 was on the horizon. At the time I personally expected it but knew Apple could wait another year.

But if iPhone 4.0 doesn't multi-task third party apps in 2010? 'Embarrassment' won't be extreme at all. I say whatever word you'd like to substitute will be an understatement.
  • Reply 33 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Banalltv

iTablet sounds clunky, iPad or Slate ( not iSlate, isolate ) both sound better to me.

no, an alternative to a tampon...
  • Reply 34 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I doubt they'll call it iBook. When an iBook was a computer it was okay, but I think as a tablet it would limit people's thinking into a "it's just an electronic book" dead-end.

Like "iPhone". It's just an electronic phone: nahhh.... I'll stay with my ROKR and PEBL clxn, thank you... Or "iPod". Sounds like a cross between an iMac and something an alien is going to hatch out of. Nahhh... I'll stay with my ? uhhh ? umm, what were the names of those MP3 players again? (By the way, THAT's a name you can relate to: MP3 player, right?)

The reason I wouldn't agree with your take on "just an electronic book" is that this product, even before its introduction, comes associated with all the magic Apple has been able to bring to handheld electronics in the past decade. There are already so many expectations, there is already so much buzz about this all over the media (not just Apple- or computer-related forums) that people already expect that it will go way beyond what any other similar device has yet been able to give its users.

And when Steve leaves the stage ? nay, when he's barely halfway through his presentation ? it will be impossible for anyone to ever think "it's just an electronic book".

A name like "iBook" repeats the kind of psychology Apple/Steve has been using very consistently for the past decade and more to make the company's products appealing: make buyers/users subliminally associate the product with something else they are already familiar/comfortable with, but no matter what, don't just present it as nothing more than some new piece of electronic gadgetry. This strategy in both names, design and salesmanship comes up again and again. Examples:

To start, doing away with gobbledygook combos of digits and letters in product names,

iMac: (subliminally) designed to resemble a small cuddly animal. Coloured upper side, white "underbelly" like very many dogs, cats and other small animals. Angled to look like it's sitting there, "looking up at you". People identified with this at a gut, emotional level.

iPod: "Size of a deck of cards". Steve holds it up in his hand to the audience so they can identify at a gut, emotional level.

iPod shuffle: "Size of a pack of gum". Steve holds it up in his hand to the audience so they can identify at a gut, emotional level.

iPod nano: the invitation shows a jeans key pocket.

iPod Touch: what's more intimate, personal and sensual than "Touch". It immediately appeals at a gut, emotional level.

First flat-screen (Luxo Jr.) iMac: advertising turns it into a miniature sentient creature, showing it moving its "head" around (like Luxo Jr.) on its "neck", "looking" at a window-shopper, sticking its "tongue"/CD tray in and out. Advertising designed to appeal at a gut, emotional level.

First PowerBook (even though before Steve returned to his Ithaca): uses "book" as part of the name to compare subliminally to something we are already familiar with and appeal at a gut, emotional level.

I think the same goes for bringing back "iBook". Picture Steve doing his schtick on stage: "...and it's just the same size as a pocketbook!", lifting it up in his hand to show to the audience. Get to them at a gut, emotional level. The name would stick and stand for so much more that just "e-reader" in people's minds. It wouldn't work the same way for a name like "(i)Slate" or "(i)Tablet".

Hmmm... maybe another possiblility is "iBook Touch"?
  • Reply 35 of 173
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Can you describe what exactly will have changed that would make it an embarrassment in 2010?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

It would've been extreme if I said it last year when iPhone 3.0 was on the horizon. At the time I personally expected it but knew Apple could wait another year.

But if iPhone 4.0 doesn't multi-task third party apps in 2010? 'Embarrassment' won't be extreme at all. I say whatever word you'd like to substitute will be an understatement.

• Reply 36 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banalltv

iTablet sounds clunky, iPad or Slate ( not iSlate, isolate ) both sound better to me.

no, an alternative to a tampon...

iPod

iPhone

iPad

it does sound like a reasonable grouping of product names.
  • Reply 37 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Could we finally have WiFi syncing for the iPhone? I would really love to be rid of the USB cable for anything but charging. The AppleTV syncs large amounts of content over WiFi without issue, why can't the iPhone do the same thing?

Just yesterday I downloaded a new audiobook just to be disappointed when I got into the car because I had forgot to connect my iPhone to the digital ball and chain!

Because if they did that it would eliminate a big reason for people to buy Mobile ME (Millennium Edition). The ironic thing is OS X allows wireless sync of competing smartphones via iSync.
  • Reply 38 of 173
    iPad is not such a bad name.
  • Reply 39 of 173
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    If iPhone OS4 could run on older phones, it would.

It won't be called iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think that post was a little silly though. "Close" only counts in horseshoes.

There is no such thing as a "near" anagram and if Apple was going to do something so tricky, they would just use, you know, an actual anagram.

If you're refering to my post, then yes, I was half-way joking though i'm flattered that somebody noticed. Thank you!

I do think that whatever they name this device, we'll probably all think it's a really lame name at first, but it will grow on us and eventually we'll "realize" it was the only correct name all along.