Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 173
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

If iPhone OS 4.0 is leaving early adopters, i.e. 1st Gen. iPhone 2.5G users in the dust, that will look bad on Apple. Instead introduce a subset of features on earlier devices, as the iPhone 3G is NOT much different in HW than the original!!

I agree. The 3G iPhone has the same amount memory and used the same SoC as the original. All it added was 3G (with MMS support), GPS, and a camera. There's no reason to leave out the 1st iPhone in this update. Although, I can see Apple charging a fee for those phones since they are out of contract now.

If anything, multitasking will only come to the iPhone 3GS and newer devices, anything older would only have 128MB of memory and not really practical for running more than one "other" application at a time.
  • Reply 42 of 173
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    PowerBook

MacBook

SketchBook
  • Reply 43 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

iPod

iPhone

iPad

it does sound like a reasonable grouping of product names.

But the iPad should be a game pad for the iPod touch/iPhone. One can dream.

I will come out of left field an suggest that they won't use the "i" naming convention at all, an no it wont be a mac, so it wont be called a mac.

Apple Slate or Apple Tablet or something else with Apple in front. Apple TV provides the precedent, which I'm predicting a significant upgrade for in the relatively near future (could be a pipe dream of course).
  • Reply 44 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It also stated, somewhat cryptically, "there will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide," and user interface and graphical changes aim to make the mobile operating system easier and more efficient to use.

Ah. I'm beginning to think they may eventually fix the clumsy scheme of Mobile Safari gestures.
  • Reply 45 of 173
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Because if they did that it would eliminate a big reason for people to buy Mobile ME (Millennium Edition). The ironic thing is OS X allows wireless sync of competing smartphones via iSync.

First of all, Mobile Me has nothing to do with synching iTunes content with your iPhone. So, being able to synch your iPhone via WiFi would have no effect on MobileMe whatsoever. Second, MobileMe already synchs contacts, email, calendars using push technology. Lastly, I don't think I've ever read anywhere that the "Me" in MobileMe meant "Millennium Edition".
  • Reply 46 of 173
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

If you're refering to my post, then yes, I was half-way joking though i'm flattered that somebody noticed. Thank you!

I do think that whatever they name this device, we'll probably all think it's a really lame name at first, but it will grow on us and eventually we'll "realize" it was the only correct name all along.

Eh, people need to be a little more creative when thinking of a name. The name doesn't necessarily have to describe what it is.

Apple's original "tablet" was called "Newton"

Although I do believe marketing will try to capitalize on the success of iPhone and iPod touch.

My guess: Apple TouchPad and TouchPad Pro

This name suggests both what it is and how you interact with it.
  • Reply 47 of 173
    MacBook touch

MacSlate

iMacBook
  • Reply 48 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

PowerBook

MacBook

SketchBook

Sketchbook would too narrowly defined what the device is/does (or something it's not even rumored to do), but then your guess is a good as mine.
  • Reply 49 of 173
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    No iPad.... call it...

The Apple iMac Mobile Tablet X
  • Reply 50 of 173
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

iTablet sounds clunky, iPad or Slate ( not iSlate, isolate ) both sound better to me.

The more I say it, the more I like it ? ablet, ablet, ablet

"Can you go into the room and get my "ablet" please".

" Hey, that's cool, what's it called"? Oh this, it's my "ablet"

"Apple today made the announcement that everyone has been expecting, the all new "ablet".

Sales of Apples "ablet" have already gone over 2 million, and this only it's 4 week.

Just say it to yourself a few times, it grows on you, and is a hell of a lot better then "i" anything!

Skip
  • Reply 51 of 173
    AppleT
  • Reply 52 of 173
    iKindle color.

Take that Amazon
  • Reply 53 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

iPod

iPhone

iPad

it does sound like a reasonable grouping of product names.

The more I think about it, i-anything or Mac-anything seems inappropriate.

Macintosh was chosen as a name, partly to set it apart from the Apple ][ and Apple /// lines. It indicated a new and revolutionary direction for personal computing.

Similarly, the iPod name indicated that Apple was staking out new territory.

If the rumored Tablet has has the ability to revolutionize personal computing (and I think it just might), then it would be counterproductive to use a name tied to the past or present.

Using this logic, they could name it anything!

...my vote says they should name it "Ringo". ... or "Lucy" as in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

• Reply 54 of 173
    I think they should call it Courier
  • Reply 55 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

MacBook touch

MacSlate

iMacBook

No mac in the name unless it runs OSX, which is unlikely.
  • Reply 56 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

The more I say it, the more I like it ? ablet, ablet, ablet

"Can you go into the room and get my "ablet" please".

" Hey, that's cool, what's it called"? Oh this, it's my "ablet"

Reminds me of when Stewie tried to teach Eliza Pinchley to speak proper english.
  • Reply 57 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I would like something more academic like:

Folio

Opus

Quarto

That sounds a bit more like Microsoft or Adobe to me.
  • Reply 58 of 173
    Yesterday someone suggested the Apple Canvas. I thought is sounded much better than any of the aforementioned names.
  • Reply 59 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

PowerBook

MacBook

SketchBook

1. "MacBook" is already taken by a very successful existing product

2. "PowerBook" is already taken by a past product. And Steve already said they are "done with Power."

3. "SketchBook" is an intriguing name but it's too specific. And does not bring to mind anything that the new device is rumored to be "about"

And why do so many people think this device will replace the MacBook when Apple just released a new unibody MacBook design barely 3 months ago?
  • Reply 60 of 173
    How about "pie"?

Websters:

noun

a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry.

• a pizza.

PHRASES

( as) easy as pie informal very easy.

( as) nice (or sweet) as pie extremely pleasant or polite.

a piece (or slice) of the pie a share of an amount of money or business available to be claimed or distributed : orchestras have seen cultural rivals get a bigger piece of the pie.

pie in the sky informal used to describe or refer to something that is pleasant to contemplate but is very unlikely to be realized.

All very positive connotations, except for the last-- and that could be used to advantage by creative advertising!