Apple's tablet announcement: games could be a focus, music unlikely

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glh View Post

It looks as if this thing is aimed at radically changing the whole idea of what a book is. The pieces are there already -- hyperlinks, movies, color, customization of fonts, reading the text out loud, music, perhaps 3d, internet access. Kindle has some of these, but no one has put them together in a compelling way. Or at least in a way that really changes the fundamental nature of a "book." I suspect the tablet will try to do this. Already we see the pieces in place: the app store, iTunes, iPhoto, iPhone, iWork, social networking, games. Apple is the only company with the infrastructure to pull this off. And, of course, the clout. If they execute at the level they have with iPhone, they'll change everything. I suspect the introduction of the "tablet" will strike people as a bit mystifying. "Just what exactly is this thing really good for? What's the big deal?" The same reaction as to the original iPod. But the seeds for fundamentally changing everything will be sown.

Excellent post glh. I think you've nailed it where books are concerned. But they could also change the game for magazines. Think of a news magazine like Time: lower price, more photos, videos, expanded coverage, faster coverage of emerging news like the Haiti earthquakes.

I can remember when the iPod was first launched. That was October 23, 2001. Apple stock closed at $9.51 on the day before the announcement and dropped to $9.07 at closing on the day of the announcement. The pundits and wall street analysts were generally unimpressed. It had been hyped so much that they were disappointed to learn that it was 'just an MP3 player.' They failed to comprehend the importance of the overall concept (single song music sales for $1, easy online delivery via iTunes, syncing with your computer, both Mac and Windows support (later), Most pundits missed the significance entirely.

That Apple stock, which could have been purchased for $9.07 on the day of the announcement, is currently trading at $212.60. Much of that gain was due to the success of the iPod and iTunes.

By comparison, Microsoft stock closed at $24.70 on that same day and is now trading at $31.17.

Wonder if the pundits and analysts will do the same this time? Maybe they're more savvy now?
  • Reply 62 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I notice that we've taken to assuming that iPhone apps will run windowed on a larger tablet screen. Trouble there being that iPhone apps are designed to function on an iPhone sized screen, with swipes, taps, pinches and multi-touch gestures all within a thumb span of the edge of the device.

The iPhone OS is even more intimately bound to the hardware than the Mac OS. Putting iPhone apps on a larger screen actually breaks the app in a lot of specific usability ways and might be something Apple would want to avoid, in much the same way that the quality of the experience mitigates against just sticking Mac OS on a tablet with some touch gestures standing in for mouse clicks.

Allowing people's iPhone app catalog to run on a new device seems like a big win, but not if the experience of running them is kinda terrible. My guess is that there will some kind of free or reduced price upgrade path, and iPhone apps will need to be tablet-ized before they can run.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I agree with what some of you are saying here. I don't think games with be the focus or even "a" focus. Like the iphone and ipod I think they will be a surprise success if anything. There will certainly be games for such a tablet device, but not sold as a core gaming machine.

The biggest reason is price and size. The games are so popular on the iphone/ipod because people already own those for other reasons. So spending a few bucks of a decent quality game to play while you're bored and waiting for your doctors appointment or whatever is no big deal. How about for a $600+ tablet? Games are not going to be the biggest draw. If anything, like the other devices, people will buy a few games for it simply because they already own one. But better yet they can buy iphone/ipod games to play on it. Some of which will scale in resolution.

I think these rumors are getting some of the tablet and iphone announcements mixed up.

If this table is going to focus on anything it will be reading, web browsing, content creation and productivity. Apple has fallen behind in the corporate world. A table like this could easily get them into some companies doors for such things as shipping and inventory, medical, point of sale units and so on.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Original graphic made as SVG.

Scaled and saved as an iPhone compatible PNG.

Posted by PMZ.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spamsandwich View Post

posted by pmz. :d

lol, imo.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glh View Post

It looks as if this thing is aimed at radically changing the whole idea of what a book is. The pieces are there already -- hyperlinks, movies, color, customization of fonts, reading the text out loud, music, perhaps 3d, internet access. Kindle has some of these, but no one has put them together in a compelling way. Or at least in a way that really changes the fundamental nature of a "book." I suspect the tablet will try to do this. Already we see the pieces in place: the app store, iTunes, iPhoto, iPhone, iWork, social networking, games. Apple is the only company with the infrastructure to pull this off. And, of course, the clout. If they execute at the level they have with iPhone, they'll change everything. I suspect the introduction of the "tablet" will strike people as a bit mystifying. "Just what exactly is this thing really good for? What's the big deal?" The same reaction as to the original iPod. But the seeds for fundamentally changing everything will be sown.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Excellent post glh. I think you've nailed it where books are concerned. But they could also change the game for magazines. Think of a news magazine like Time: lower price, more photos, videos, expanded coverage, faster coverage of emerging news like the Haiti earthquakes.

I can remember when the iPod was first launched. That was October 23, 2001. Apple stock closed at $9.51 on the day before the announcement and dropped to $9.07 at closing on the day of the announcement. The pundits and wall street analysts were generally unimpressed. It had been hyped so much that they were disappointed to learn that it was 'just an MP3 player.' They failed to comprehend the importance of the overall concept (single song music sales for $1, easy online delivery via iTunes, syncing with your computer, both Mac and Windows support (later), Most pundits missed the significance entirely.

That Apple stock, which could have been purchased for $9.07 on the day of the announcement, is currently trading at $212.60. Much of that gain was due to the success of the iPod and iTunes.

By comparison, Microsoft stock closed at $24.70 on that same day and is now trading at $31.17.

Wonder if the pundits and analysts will do the same this time? Maybe they're more savvy now?

BINGO! Books, magazines, COMIC BOOKS, gravic novels... The tablet will change the publishing industry like the iPod changed the music industry.

There were MP3 players before the iPod, just like there are digital book readers out now. Apple will get it right.

Sure, it will probably also do the great stuff that iPod Touch can do and more. But the game changer (and i am starting to hate that phrase) will be about how we read.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

.... The pundits and wall street analysts were generally unimpressed. It had been hyped so much that they were disappointed to learn that it was 'just an MP3 player.' They failed to comprehend the importance of the overall concept (single song music sales for $1, easy online delivery via iTunes, syncing with your computer, both Mac and Windows support (later), Most pundits missed the significance entirely.

Maybe the pundits missed the overall concept because it did not exist. The iPod was just an MP3 player. It was designed to play music that you RIPped from your CD collection. The music labels had conniptions. Apple responded in sheepish ads with the tagline: "Don't steal music." The iTune Music Store came later. Apple lined up the five major labels and got them to over their catalogs for sale on the new iTunes Music Store. The iTMS used DRMed AAC rather than MP3. Excellent quality in small file sizes.

Apple managed a miracle. Music downloaded from the Internet had been almost exclusively the domain of pirates. Apple showed that people would actually buy music via the Internet. As miraculous as it was, however, it was not how the iPod started.

I am all for bashing the pundits. But keep your facts straight.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

…I contend that there will be a new SDK day one, i.e., January 27, which will give the developer the necessary tools to immediately port their iPhone/iPod touch apps to the new device. In effect, the current 136,429 and growing apps as cataloged by Macworld* could be available on launch day in March.

Update I don't think that the new tablet (like the original iPhone) will be 3G, have assisted GPS or an integrated compass. As such all apps requiring such will be excluded.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the new device will be a large iPhone per se. At least not this round.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Update I don't think that the new tablet (like the original iPhone) will be 3G, contain an assisted GPS chip or an integrated compass. As such all apps requiring such will be excluded.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the new device will be a large iPhone per se. At least not this round.

My interest drops considerably if there is no cellular data access. Using it only on WiFi does not fit my needs.

I am hoping that the 3G data card is including by default like with the Kindle for access to the iTS, even if it?s just for print material, but with an option to subscribe to carrier for full access data.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno. The tablet is a mobile device.

Do you really want to be playing WoW or Second Life or stuff like that at the local coffee shop? Or on the bus?

I don't play those kind of games but from what I've heard of people who do, they spend a decent amount of time in the game. At least with a mobile slate, they can have some semblance of a social life while gaming.

It's not so much the aspect of taking it outside though, more the ability to lie in bed or lounge on the sofa and play. This applies to more than just gaming - it's comfortable computing. Even the laptop form factor is awkward when you lie on a bed or sofa.

Concerning controls for games, there could be a wireless or wired gamepad.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My interest drops considerably if there is no cellular data access. Using it only on WiFi does not fit my needs.

I am hoping that the 3G data card is including by default like with the Kindle for access to the iTS, even if it’s just for print material, but with an option to subscribe to carrier for full access data.

Tethering with an iPhone is one of the most important features to me. I really hope it is there. $30 a month each for your phone, tablet, car, or whatever other connected device they come up with next just isn't a feasible practice moving forward. I don't really care if this tablet has 3G or not, since I already have a 3G connection (but obviously others would want it). Either way, I don't think I should have to pay for 3G on this tablet (if it has it).

Luckily, I currently live in a market where unlimited tethering is permitted at no extra charge, as it should be. Data is data, I should only have to pay once for the data that travels to my iPhone, not pay extra for the data that I send from my iPhone to my laptop or (hopefully) tablet.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:

That Apple stock, which could have been purchased for $9.07 on the day of the announcement, is currently trading at $212.60.

The price was actually $4.035 split-adjusted. I bought Apple at $13/share pre-split.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

The bottom line is if the cost is at least 10 to 20% less than a hard CD and I can still burn a CD then the cost for the higher bandwidth tracks is worth it. If not then I'll pass.

There are also a lot of tunes that are available on iTunes that are not available on CD. Not only things like Neil Young's Bridge School Collection and other live performances (like iTunes Originals), but also albums that never made it to CD, like "Lee Michaels" or "Sunrise" by Bob Brozman & Debashish Bhattacharya (two off the top of my head).

It looks like these tunes and albums may never make it to CD, so I'm really hoping for a lossless download alternative. (HD Tracks has lossless downloads for $1.49 per song or $11.98 per album, and they have some surprising albums (like all the later Kinks albums), but still not a super large collection).
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:

I am hoping that the 3G data card is including by default like with the Kindle for access to the iTS, even if it?s just for print material, but with an option to subscribe to carrier for full access data.

I can appreciate your dilemma.

However, I don't think that the new device is an eBook per se. Unlike the relatively small Kindle, the new iSlate will be a new paradigm in multi-media entertainment.

Having a 3G connection would require another/updated wireless account/connection contract, thus another cost to contend with. Certainly it will have Wi-Fi and if anything, it will be a requirement even at home. No ethernet, no Firewire. Perhaps we will charge it by induction.

I would also suggest that the device is not meant for just picking up the odd black and white text-based book to read. But for higher resolution graphic-based multi-media content whether it is in the form of an 'Architectural Digest' or a full blown movie epic. Thus requiring higher speed internet connections to maximize its accessibility.

Right now TV is a bust. Content is getting worse. There is no need to watch commercials and as such, no monies are available from advertisers to produce better programming. The print industry is hanging themselves. The only saving grace is that consumers are dying to be entertained.

The Mac suffices most of us here. It is the rest of the family/world that it doesn't. My wife doesn't need a full blown computer. She loves to surf for decorating/food/fashion ideas. The kids, well that varies with age and their friends' activities. The grandparents, well, 'rabbit ears' are still better than cable.

However, most of us have cable. The iSlate will satisfy just about everybody in the family for what it will be designed to do. And the only cost will be the device. All the materials that we downloadable at a reasonable price and it won't feel any different than if we went to the local variety store and picked up a magazine or two. That is, it will be incremental, giving us the option to get as much as we want and primarily guided by affordability.

Jobs is not going to introduce a device that everybody else has attempted to do. It won't be universally accepted. There will be naysayers right from the get-go. However, the naysayers will gripe and gripe without much thought and the competition will swamp the market with so-called me-toos. In the meantime, the App Store will double or triple in size, Apple will dominate another unforeseen market and Jobs will entrench himself as Man of the 21st Century.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I am hoping that the 3G data card is including by default like with the Kindle for access to the iTS, even if it’s just for print material, but with an option to subscribe to carrier for full access data.

Now if Apple could have bullied AT&T into providing a $20/mon Unlimited 3G Data Plan for it, and that was the only monthly fee associated with AT&T, I think most people would agree that this model would be preferable. Even if it were unsubsidized at the likely $599 and $799 price points.

I say $20 because I believe it would be the magic number for iPhone users. $30 and iPhone users would scoff at doubling their monthly AT&T data bill, for slightly better experience, or :-o ! consider dropping the iPhone in favor of the cheaper Tablet.

$20, an most iPhone users would shrug and decide it was reasonable enough. And AT&T would benefit from essentially providing ONE unlimited plan for $50 instead of $30...cause after all you're not likely using both at once.........
  • Reply 76 of 82
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

What makes you think like that?

This is why iPhone games are by now behind classic platforms in usability and scenic quality.

Hmmm. I have more iPhone games(10) than I have games on classic platforms (0)
  • Reply 77 of 82
    A $1,000 gaming device for mediocre games? NO thank you.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

BINGO! Books, magazines, COMIC BOOKS, gravic novels... The tablet will change the publishing industry like the iPod changed the music industry.

There were MP3 players before the iPod, just like there are digital book readers out now. Apple will get it right.

Sure, it will probably also do the great stuff that iPod Touch can do and more. But the game changer (and i am starting to hate that phrase) will be about how we read.

Well Apple got the Apple TV (living room) WRONG but I keep forgetting- it's only a hobby!
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

The price was actually $4.035 split-adjusted. I bought Apple at $13/share pre-split.

Good one.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I hope it isn't too heavy to carry around.