Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    What are you guys talking about? Its the aPad.

Actually I think it will be called the Apple Slate. Within minutes it will be known as the Slate and in one fell swoop Apple has appropriated the concept / name and all other slates or references to slate computing will reference Apple by implication.
  • Reply 62 of 173
    Very interesting. It makes sense for a company called "IP Application Development" to register "IPAD". It's also one of the most boringly generic names imaginable for a company, so it may only exist as an excuse for registering the name IPAD. It's interesting that Apple waited this long, risking someone else registering the name first. Perhaps they did not want to tip their hand, given the rumor frenzy, until very close to the formal unveiling. Very interesting. The name could work though. If you have a speech impediment or an unusual accent, you should be very clear about the gift you want for your birthday. It would suck if you meant to ask for an IPAD and received an iPod nano instead.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    FunCooker!
  • Reply 64 of 173
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

That sounds a bit more like Microsoft or Adobe to me.

I guess you're right, oh well...

iThing - Hey, have you seen my "Thing"? Oh that sounds nasty!
  • Reply 65 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The more I think about it, i-anything or Mac-anything seems inappropriate.

Macintosh was chosen as a name, partly to set it apart from the Apple ][ and Apple /// lines. It indicated a new and revolutionary direction for personal computing.

Similarly, the iPod name indicated that Apple was staking out new territory.

If the rumored Tablet has has the ability to revolutionize personal computing (and I think it just might), then it would be counterproductive to use a name tied to the past or present.

Using this logic, they could name it anything!

Agreed. I would rule out all of the following from being included in the name of the device:

Mac

Book

Power

Pod

Tablet

Pro

The following words sound more likely:

Touch

Slate

Folio

Canvas

I'm really intrigued by those last two. Especially Canvas.

None-the-less I fully expect everything I think to be blown away on the 27th.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...my vote says they should name it "Ringo". ... or "Lucy" as in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

Hopefully, overuse of the device will not cause us all to get blisters on our fingers.
  • Reply 66 of 173
    iNewt!!
  • Reply 67 of 173
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

PowerBook

MacBook

SketchBook

Except it would be a SketchPad, because it's a tablet and not a two section device that closes like a book.
  • Reply 68 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Can you describe what exactly will have changed that would make it an embarrassment in 2010?

Faster, more efficient, multicore chips? Growing competition from Android? I've always expected iPhone OS 4.0 to have multitasking, my only question is if it will be allowed on older iPhones. I personally think the iPhone 3GS is capable, it might bring more problems than benefits to the other ones though.
  • Reply 69 of 173
    I like  Tablet, but after  TV, probably unlikely.

The project started out as Safari Pad, so the jump to Pad is logical.

I hope it not Slate cause then we can laugh at the rush to call anything tablet like a slate at CES.

As for Boy Genius Report being wrong on Blu-Ray in iTunes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if their sources were accurate, but Apple decided to delay.

I say this for three reasons:

[1] Blu-Ray Software for PCs is terrible, or expensive, or both.

[2] Microsoft would struggle legally to supply its own player as a built in component of Windows.**

[3] iMac now has 1080P as standard and there were multi-source rumours it would include Blu-Ray.

There is a window of opportunity for Apple to take number 1 share in Blu-Ray playback software. Other companies couldn't compete with free and whilst there would be some cannibalisation of iTunes film rentals (albeit only in those territories where film rentals exists) they may have been contemplating the idea of solidifying their software (iTunes) at the forefront of many users digital media experience.

** Of course they can include it with Live Essentials. But normal people don't download Live Essentials. Normal people don't go out of their way to download any software, including iTunes. The only reason they download iTunes is to get their iPod/iPhone to work.
  • Reply 70 of 173
    i_ii_i Posts: 10member
    iPad is the first good name I've heard. only 1 letter different to iPod

never liked people on the forum calling it iSlate. who would name anything that. not Apple
  • Reply 71 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

How about this as a name for the tablet:

nTouch

This works on several levels.

and the sync feature could be called nSync.
  • Reply 72 of 173
    iTouch

iSlab

iMove

iFlat

iBook

iRead

iLog

iBillet

iStrip

iStripe

iStroke

Apple Pie

Apple Slice

Apple Slab
  • Reply 73 of 173
    I haven't heard anyone say this one:

TouchBook

It could be lined up with the rest of the notebooks that they have, and includes the familiar touch name that they have added to the iPod. Seems like the ideal name for the product.
  • Reply 74 of 173
    Let's try something totally different. How about "Jubilee"? (heads move away from computer screens, eyebrows arch, eyes dart to the side, smirks start to form).

Okay, I admit it's a stretch. So where did the name "macintosh" come from? Well, it's a variety of apple. Jubilee is also a type of apple. It is described as "Multi-use apple. Medium to large fruit, yellow overspread with deep red. Firm, crisp, juicy flesh. Juicy, subacid flavor."

The tablet would be a multi-use device, right?

Okay, one more stretch. There are probably a bunch of X-men fans in this forum. Remember Jubilee? Her powers are described as follows "Jubilee had the mutant power to generate bright bursts of multi-colored energy plasmoids from her fingertips." Now why would "multicolored" plasmoids ring a bell? Yeah, you know what I'm thinking. Could it be that Steve is an X-men fan? It's possible. No, don't say that, I'm not crazy!
  • Reply 75 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

I haven't heard anyone say this one:

TouchBook

It could be lined up with the rest of the notebooks that they have, and includes the familiar touch name that they have added to the iPod. Seems like the ideal name for the product.

Say no to book.

Why do so many like it and how is it an ideal name when books typically have a front and a back cover?
  • Reply 76 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

Let's try something totally different. How about "Jubilee"? (heads move away from computer screens, eyebrows arch, eyes dart to the side, smirks start to form).

Okay, I admit it's a stretch. So where did the name "macintosh" come from? Well, it's a variety of apple. Jubilee is also a type of apple. It is described as "Multi-use apple. Medium to large fruit, yellow overspread with deep red. Firm, crisp, juicy flesh. Juicy, subacid flavor."

The tablet would be a multi-use device, right?

Okay, one more stretch. There are probably a bunch of X-men fans in this forum. Remember Jubilee? Her powers are described as follows "Jubilee had the mutant power to generate bright bursts of multi-colored energy plasmoids from her fingertips." Now why would "multicolored" plasmoids ring a bell? Yeah, you know what I'm thinking. Could it be that Steve is an X-men fan? It's possible. No, don't say that, I'm not crazy!

I like it... actually, I like it a lot!

• Reply 77 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

iTablet sounds clunky, iPad or Slate ( not iSlate, isolate ) both sound better to me.

If had to bet money, I would bet on a re-branding the "iBook" name.

Tablet = clunky, simply re-hashing the form factor. MacBook, not "iLaptop". Although "iPhone" is like that...

Slate = too Flinstones. Sounds primitive rather than futuristic or elegant. Although there's always the "clean slate" allegory...

iPad= gross. Even if it's juvenile, it's still gross. Sounds too much like "iPod". Australians will get so confused!

iBook = familiar, simple, elegant. Book = portable information. Already trademarked. Shares "book" with MacBook and MacBook Pro, but without the "Mac" (which would imply Mac OS X).

Although, really, it will probably be called something that 99% of us haven't thought of.
  • Reply 78 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

and the sync feature could be called nSync.

Yeah! And to promote it, they could get a certain famous musical group to do the theme song!

So is anybody besides me looking forward to whatever catchy pop song will be used in the commercial?
  • Reply 79 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

iStroke

I nominate this as the name to beat!
  • Reply 80 of 173
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

its predictions pertaining to Apple have often fallen off the mark.

fallen short of the mark.