Folio

Opus

Quarto

All I have to say.
  • Reply 82 of 173
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

No free Update for original iPhone, I guess. Free updates for any model is valid for the next two years.

May be original iphone buyers had to pay for the update like ipod touch users used to pay.

Maybe the original iPhone simply hasn't got the power to run OS4?
  • Reply 83 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Slate = too Flinstones. Sounds primitive rather than futuristic or elegant. Although there's always the "clean slate" allegory...

That is really just personal opinion. I personally think of it as a rather elegant term. Elegant in its simplicity, which mirrors the values Apple places on their products.
  • Reply 84 of 173
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

It would've been extreme if I said it last year when iPhone 3.0 was on the horizon. At the time I personally expected it but knew Apple could wait another year.

But if iPhone 4.0 doesn't multi-task third party apps in 2010? 'Embarrassment' won't be extreme at all. I say whatever word you'd like to substitute will be an understatement.

No, you're still not getting it. (as the "I say"... part of your reply clearly illustrates)

You will feel embarassed for Apple. Go right ahead. The other 20 million iPhone users won't care one way or the other.
  • Reply 85 of 173
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by earthy View Post

iPod: "Size of a deck of cards". Steve holds it up in his hand to the audience so they can identify at a gut, emotional level.

iPod shuffle: "Size of a pack of gum". Steve holds it up in his hand to the audience so they can identify at a gut, emotional level.

iPod nano: the invitation shows a jeans key pocket.

iPod Touch: what's more intimate, personal and sensual than "Touch". It immediately appeals at a gut, emotional level.

I think the same goes for bringing back "iBook". Picture Steve doing his schtick on stage: "...and it's just the same size as a pocketbook!", lifting it up in his hand to show to the audience. ...

I like the way your thinking here, and I think you are right about the way Steve links the product to an everyday real world object that is familiar to the audience.

He could just as easily pull out a steno pad however and say "iPad: It's about the size of a standard steno pad."
  • Reply 86 of 173
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    First choice:

Mac touch

Second choice:

Tablet
  • Reply 87 of 173
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Embarrassment is pretty extreme, most people have no expectation that their phone should mulit-task. There is a reason. You may or may not accept it, but it does exist.

But most iPhone owners expect that their iPhone should multitask.

And besides, the iPhone is fully capable of multitasking already. It is a matter of won't, not can't.
  • Reply 88 of 173
    Now here's another idea for the name. See if you can follow me.

Express

This works on several levels.

1. The word Express is already established in the names of some Apple products (Airport Express, Logic Express, Final Cut Express) The words "light weight" and "portable" come to mind. The tablet will be light weight and portable.

2. "Express" means to get your feelings out. Art is a method for doing this and the tablet is now rumored to include a graphic/paint program. Very artistic and very expressive.

3. This is speculated to be the device that saves news papers from going out of business. The NYT can continue being the press instead of the ex-press. But I could be stretching it there.

4. The commercial was filmed in a diner. As we all know, most diners are built out of passenger train cars and most trains end with the word... express! (The device is rumored to come with a high learning curve meaning we'll all have to train to use it, but that's beside the point.)

So what do you think? Apple Express. Coincidence or not?
  • Reply 89 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Reports about a forthcoming update to the iPhone OS continue to grow, with a new batch of (sic) rumors ... (from) ... Boy Genius Report ...

Upon reading the original Boy Genius rumour, it seems AppleInsider left out one of the most important details.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoyGeniusReport

...The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will ?put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers? more than any other phone to date. ...

I don't see how that can be interpreted any other way than to expect that iPhone OS 4.0 will have file access, and possibly a documents folder on it. That's big news isn't it?
  • Reply 90 of 173
    iSaac

?obvious reference is obvious.
  • Reply 91 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Can you describe what exactly will have changed that would make it an embarrassment in 2010?

All the cool new phones will be multitasking up a storm. It is happening already. Try to keep up.
  • Reply 92 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think iPad is not so bad of a name.

Despite idiotic remarks like yours, the menstrual reference is minor, only really applies in the USA and will be quickly forgotten if they chose that name. I mean, obviously you don't even know the difference between a pad or a tampon and most of those that have a a problem with the name would be similarly uninformed or juvenile.

All that being said, it does seem like they are leaning towards using the "Slate" word in one incarnation or another.

If I had to go out on a limb I would guess Apple Slate or Apple Tablet would be the name. Apple is all about being simple and clear, even if it's boring.

Calm down, tough guy. iPad is just a stupid name. Period. (get it?)
  • Reply 93 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

I do think that whatever they name this device, we'll probably all think it's a really lame name at first, but it will grow on us and eventually we'll "realize" it was the only correct name all along.

We're all just cute as the dickens, eh?
  • Reply 94 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

But most iPhone owners expect that their iPhone should multitask ...

I totally disagree with this.

Most users don't know the word "multi-task" from a hole in the ground or what it is beyond the generic meaning. iPhone apps generally start instantly and save their last state, so the only apps that even *need* muti-tasking are apps that are intended to run in the background like Pandora or other internet radio stations.

Basically, if you don't use internet radio you may not be even aware that multi-tasking is an issue.
  • Reply 95 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

How about this as a name for the tablet:

nTouch

This works on several levels.

1. It starts with a lower case prefix making it appear "hip" which it will be anyway.

2. The letter "N" will be a subtle referance to the Newton. The fact that the "N" is lower case will signify Steve's opinion of the Newton- especially in comparison with what's to come.

3. The second syllable is "Touch" which directly referes to the touch screen. The fact that the "T" is capitalized will signify that this is the device with which important things will start happening (in comparison with what came before it- see no. 2)

4. The name of the device is pronounced "in touch." This works on a couple levels just by itself. Access to the internet will doubtlessly enable this device to be a communications device allowing you to stay in touch with your friends. But it's also a book reading device signifying that it will help you stay in touch with what is going on in the world.

And there you have it.

Apple's latest creation.

nTouch

It sound somewhat awkward because it starts with a consonant. Also seems to be a greater reference to Nokia's N series than the Newton

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

There's no way it's going to be called iTablet or iSlate because it doesn't sound right. As a matter of fact, I say it's not going to be named iAnything.

Either MacTablet or Newton to me.
  • Reply 96 of 173
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"Close" only counts in horseshoes.

I always used "'Close' only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades", myself.
  • Reply 97 of 173
    The new device will be called Io™

Why Io™? Well, Apple could not call the device "Newton II" and Jobs reportedly sent his development team back to the drawing board after viewing initial devices. So perhaps as a tribute to Newton's predecessor, Galileo Galilei who discovered the moons of Jupiter, he chose to call it Io™, the inner most or 1st moon of Jupiter.

Io™ would also be a play on the computer term I/O (input/output) and actually describes what the "tablet" is: an input/output device that receives/transmits information from/to other communication systems, including humans.

As good as any theory, right?

Oh, and you heard it here first.
  • Reply 98 of 173
    I personally hope that it's not called iPad--that's just easy fodder for menstrual jokes. I love my kindle, and it's battery life is phenomenal. But...if I can draw/sketch and quickly get those to Illustrator/Photoshop/CAD underlay, read a book, use it as an input device for my Mac, and use the thing at trade shows to interactively go through my sales catalog and take orders with customers....well, then, you got me at "hello". This would be a tabula rasa where anything is possible. In fact, calling it 'Rasa' wouldn't be off the mark. I would bet on a 1-2 syllable word that rolls off the tongue a bit better than "rasa" though!
  • Reply 99 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

We're all just cute as the dickens, eh?

Dickens? Dickens? You dasen't say that! Or I shan't pay attention!

• Reply 100 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The other 20 million iPhone users won't care one way or the other.

Why do so many folks here at AI use canned answers in inappropriate contexts?

In this example, the quoted poster is just plain wrong: multitasking is a highly desired feature which many iPhone users want to have. There's a poll over at TUAW which includes multitasking as one of the most-demanded changes, and comments on AI bear out the poll.

But he pretends (really thinks?) that "nobody" wants it, in an attempt to marginalize the desire. Canned Answer No. 356. Used at the wrong juncture.