Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

Comments

• Reply 101 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

I always used "'Close' only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades", myself.

...horseshoes, hand grenades and dancing!

• Reply 102 of 173
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

He could just as easily pull out a steno pad however and say "iPad: It's about the size of a standard steno pad."

Steno pad? Isn't that a before-cassette-tapes kind of technology? Is there anything "standard" about steno pads in today's world?
  • Reply 103 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

First choice:

Mac touch

Second choice:

Tablet

McTouch for the Scots and how about iPaddy for the Irish?
  • Reply 104 of 173
    Quote:

I don't see how that can be interpreted any other way than to expect that iPhone OS 4.0 will have file access, and possibly a documents folder on it. That's big news isn't it?

Excellent points. Yes, that is very big news if you are correct, and I hope that you are. I for one totally missed the quip that you highlighted.

If the blurb is accurate, we'll finally be able to put on our big-boy pants.
  • Reply 105 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Using this logic, they could name it anything!

...my vote says they should name it "Ringo". ... or "Lucy" as in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

Your Mad!!
  • Reply 106 of 173
    I hope avrcp support will be added in 4.0. Would be finally nice to fwd tracks or go back a track instead of just play/pause volume control on bluetooth headset.
  • Reply 107 of 173
    Quote:

I totally disagree with this.

Hey - Your guess is as good as mine. Neither of us has any hard data. But I note that it is the subject of this article's headline, and AI thought it was of interest to enough people to include it.

But their guess is as good as yours, I suppose...
  • Reply 108 of 173
    Picasso would be cute, but it is already a Citroën brand.
  • Reply 109 of 173
    How about iOverHyped?

Just a thought
  • Reply 110 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

First choice:

Mac touch

Second choice:

Tablet

Your first choice is brilliant. Given that your original design will (probably) have been adopted, they should go with your name-choice as well.

Your second choice, " Tablet" is unlikely. It's somewhat inelegant. Doesn't roll off the tongue too easily.... (sounds somewhat like 'applet-tapplet').
  • Reply 111 of 173
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Steno pad? Isn't that a before-cassette-tapes kind of technology? Is there anything "standard" about steno pads in today's world?

Yes. And you will be required to learn shorthand to use the device.
  • Reply 112 of 173
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Hey - Your guess is as good as mine. Neither of us has any hard data. But I note that it is the subject of this article's headline, and AI thought it was of interest to enough people to include it.

But their guess is as good as yours, I suppose...

Yeah, like most people on this list I'm getting out of hand with my speculation. It seems almost like the closer we get the less we know and the stupider the commentary and guesswork is on all sides. Me included.

The only thing I'm sure of is that my predictions and thoughts will be closer to the mark than Ireland's.
  • Reply 113 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

First of all, Mobile Me has nothing to do with synching iTunes content with your iPhone. So, being able to synch your iPhone via WiFi would have no effect on MobileMe whatsoever. Second, MobileMe already synchs contacts, email, calendars using push technology. Lastly, I don't think I've ever read anywhere that the "Me" in MobileMe meant "Millennium Edition".

Whoa, settle down there! MobileMe may not do iTunes content, but I'm aware it does wireless sync of contacts, calendars, etc. Just like plugging in the iPhone with iTunes open but no need for a cable. My point was Apple allows other smartphone owners to do this, but not the iPhone, probably to help drives sales of MM. But if Apple allowed wireless sync, they could easily include iTunes content as well.

So if I'm making a call on my iPhone while entering information in iCal or Address Book that I need on my iPhone right away, I need to plug it in to sync. Much better would be wireless sync, especially for those that prefer the power adapter for charging.

Millenium Edition was a reference to Windows ME from 1999.
  • Reply 114 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

If it doesn't, it will be an outright embarrassment. There is no excuse for the inability to run multiple third party apps.

Oh but there is .. are, actually. There are several very excellent reasons why not to bring multi-tasking to a phone (or any device) with that kind of specs.

I'm a developer myself, so I see everything from a different standpoint, but I recently bought the HTC Hero for my dad.. The OS is excellent, except for one part; multi-tasking. When you run multiple apps in the background, you're likely to run into memory problems (single-tasking apps are already running into those!!).

The feeling of the OS itself will become clunky, and pretty soon you'll realize you run too many apps and will have to close some of them. How Windows is that!? Opening some kind of task manager to actually close annoying apps.

I agree, duo-tasking (or something like that) should be allowed. Under your own control. But like I said, there are very good reasons not to allow every app to run in the background.

The only thing there was no excuse for, was cut, copy and paste. That was just wrong.
  • Reply 115 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I just want a way to sync tasks via Mobile Me. Is that too much to ask?
  • Reply 116 of 173
    In addition to the nTouch comment, I'd also like to see it called nTon.

Both a reference to the Newton, plus it sounds cool when you say it; "anton".
  • Reply 117 of 173
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

iPad? What is it, a tampon?

http://www.seanpercival.com/blog/wp-...oads/padd1.gif

you're obviously not a Trekkie. Because most of us know the "Pad" from Star Trek TNG. Which was their name-sakes. You know, all those little tablet-like things they carry around to have Piccard sign off on things instead of email. I've been griping about that one for years. Why don't they just email these things? What, they don't have that kind of communication in the 24th century?

As much as my Trekkie side woudl love it to be called the iPad or MacPad (think notepad). I don't think it's likely for the reason you just brought up.

iTablet is too clunky and obvious.

iSlate is OK...but not my favorite.

I made a prediction yesterday on the forums that it might be called the iPalatte. Like an artists paint palatte. Think about it.
  • Reply 118 of 173
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiRAGe View Post

The only thing there was no excuse for, was cut, copy and paste. That was just wrong.

I'm glad they got it right, especially since I didn't have an iPhone until after they had it
  • Reply 119 of 173
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

I think iPad is not so bad of a name.

Despite idiotic remarks like yours, the menstrual reference is minor, only really applies in the USA and will be quickly forgotten if they chose that name. I mean, obviously you don't even know the difference between a pad or a tampon and most of those that have a a problem with the name would be similarly uninformed or juvenile.

All that being said, it does seem like they are leaning towards using the "Slate" word in one incarnation or another.

If I had to go out on a limb I would guess Apple Slate or Apple Tablet would be the name. Apple is all about being simple and clear, even if it's boring.

I'm finding it not different enough from iPod. \
  • Reply 120 of 173
    There's also that rumored 22' touchscreen iMac... I think that it would be a more likely candidate for the (i)Mac touch name.

Either that OR the tablet, not both. It would be too confusing.

Taking into account that 'Mac' has always referred to full-feature computers, a 'Mac touch' tablet next Wednesday will have to be equal in functionality to a Mac.

Given that Apple has supposedly reset this project multiple times...

Ireland, you just might be right on with Mac touch. I certainly hope so.