Apple updates Boot Camp with Windows 7 support

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its Boot Camp software and issued new drivers and utilities to allow users to run Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 7. The Mac maker also issued its first security update of 2010, addressing 12 vulnerabilities.

The Boot Camp software was updated to version 3.1 for both 32-bit and 64-bit users of Windows 7. The updates add native support for the Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7.

In addition, Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows addresses issues with the Apple trackpad, turns off the red digital audio port LED on laptop computers when it is not being used, and supports the Apple wireless keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse. The 32-bit version is 380.73MB, while the 64-bit update is 274.58MB. The software requires either Windows XP or Windows Vista SP2 before installing Windows 7.

To further support the Microsoft OS, system-specific drivers are available. Those with the new late 2009 iMac, both 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, can download the iMac Late 2009 Windows 7 Drivers, while iMac and Mac Pro users can use the Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 update for compatibility.

Finally, Apple has also released the Boot Camp Utility for Windows 7 Upgrade, which safely unmounts the read-only Macintosh volume on Microsoft Windows Vista. The utility must be used before upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

Also Tuesday, the first security updates of 2010 for Snow Leopard and Leopard were released. Security Update 2010-001 is recommended for all users of Mac OS X, and it addresses a number of potentially dangerous security issues.

The updates are available for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (21.90MB), Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Server (248.11MB), and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Client (159.58MB). They can also be downloaded via Software Update.

The vulnerabilities addressed in the update, according to Apple, include CoreAudio, the Flash Player plug-in, OpenSSL, Image RAW, and Image IO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Regrettably, I have to install Windows on my Mac to check for compatibility of the websites I design. This will make using Windows an easier pill to swallow.

In a related topic, does anybody know where 10.6.3 stands? 10.6.2 ruined the speed and stability gains that the original release version of Snow Leopard brought over Leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Another vulnerability in Flash? Say it ain't so!
  • Reply 3 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Question, I already have Windows 7 installed on a partition for my iMac. Should I avoid this upgrade until I erase that partition?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    I'm still so confused by why they cut the support on the 2006 models.

I assume they just didn't want to go through the trouble of porting drivers over, but those people (myself included) with these '06 Macs really would have appreciated the effort of doing so.

That's not to say I won't do it - I already have, and everything works just fine - but I don't like "unsupported" things, hacks, etc. Granted, all Boot Camp really does is partition the hard drive - presumably any Intel-compatible OS could be installed on said partition, correct?

I suppose Apple is trying to slowly annoy people into upgrading to newer Macs by cutting support like this. Not a big fan of such malicious product-pushing techniques...
  • Reply 5 of 60
    New member here but not new to bootcamp...

I really find it strange that you need to have Vista or XP installed in order to install Windows 7... I'd say that's a mistake... It doesn't make any sense to use an earlier version of Windows, especially if the DVD you have contains a full installation and not an update.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post

I really find it strange that you need to have Vista or XP installed in order to install Windows 7... I'd say that's a mistake... It doesn't make any sense to use an earlier version of Windows, especially if the DVD you have contains a full installation and not an update.

I am wondering the same thing. I have a copy of Windows 7 but not Vista or XP and I'd like to install it. However, I am not able to get the update to Bootcamp through Software Update at present.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    really confused - i already managed to install Win7 on my iMac 27", how do i update the drivers? the instructions only refer to a new install.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

really confused - i already managed to install Win7 on my iMac 27", how do i update the drivers? the instructions only refer to a new install.

It looks like choosing "Apple Software Update" from your start menu will do the trick. It showed up in Software Update within Win7 Professional (32 bit) for me, at least. Currently downloading the 380.73MB update. I'll let you know if it doesn't work.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Regrettably, I have to install Windows on my Mac to check for compatibility of the websites I design. This will make using Windows an easier pill to swallow.

I have two software that only run on Windows XP (Vista and Windows 7 still not supported) and I use Parallels with XP. The best part is that I get Windows for free
  • Reply 10 of 60
    What are you meant to do within OS X before installing? Isn't there an update to the OS X software? At present it only says it supports XP and Vista
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

In a related topic, does anybody know where 10.6.3 stands? 10.6.2 ruined the speed and stability gains that the original release version of Snow Leopard brought over Leopard.

You don't need Bootcamp for that. VMware Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox works fine and without reboot and it's been supported for a while already.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    If I'm reading this right, there are three updates:

One is a Boot Camp Windows executable (32 bit) and (64 Bit), that you run while booted into Windows 7. That will update the BootCamp configuration and drivers on the Windows side and ensure that your hardware is recognized under Windows 7.

The other update is for the new late model 21.5" and 27" 09 iMac drivers for Windows 7, which will get you past the blinking or blank screen install issues. It is to be used during the Windows 7 install when it prompts for additional drivers.

If you already have Windows 7 installed, or you don't have a late model '09 iMac, then you don't need the Windows 7 drivers, however there does appear to be a firmware update for older iMac's and Mac Pro GPU's.

The Windows executable is an update to Boot Camp and should be installed on the Windows side regardless.

I'm not sure what this update is for as I didn't update from Vista to Windows 7, but apparently you must run this to unmount the OS X partition under Vista before installing Windows 7. Hopefully someone else can chime in as to what you experience upgrading from Vista and why this update is necessary.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drosboro View Post

It looks like choosing "Apple Software Update" from your start menu will do the trick. It showed up in Software Update within Win7 Professional (32 bit) for me, at least. Currently downloading the 380.73MB update. I'll let you know if it doesn't work.

oh cool, yes it was there for me (32 bit).
  • Reply 14 of 60
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I downloaded the 32 bit version of the update and attempted to install it in Windows 7RC. I have a late 2007 20 inch iMac. As usual, Windows asked me twice for permission to execute the file. Then absolutely nothing. Windows 7RC works "flawlessly" in BootCamp, except for everything that is wrong on the Mac side. I have no idea what version of BootCamp I have, or how to find out. But, it is sounding like I will be forced into purchasing XP or Vista. Well, I can't exactly purchase XP SP2, which seems to be the overall requirement. I also refuse to do so. I am NOT going to purchase another version of Windows plus W7. Apple must take me for a freaking idiot. I can't run the BootCamp Extras from my Leopard DVD, for I loose my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. So as a result, my mouse scroll wheel does not work. The Windows clock is wrong. I can't control the screen brightness. The audio driver from the Leopard/BootCamp Extras does not work correctly either. So it looks like Apple is going to want me to purchase more RAM, I only have the original one gig, a USB keyboard and mouse, a copy of Vista, and a copy of Windows 7. Just so you know, Apple, that will NOT happen. I will sell this machine and get a PC with all the above. If you read my old posts, I note my weak eyesight. Windows 7 turns out to function much better for me than Leopard, or even Snow Leopard. There are speech programs that work almost as well for the PC as the included voices on the Mac. Apple does not support HDMI without an adapter. A growing number of PCs do. So I can use an HD TV as a monitor and get oversized text in either 720 or 1080 resolution. Apple, you are in the process of loosing a customer who has been unhappy with you since the beginning. I'm sure that is fine though. You will just go get another. That theory seems to work with Comcast and Sirius XM.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I downloaded the 32 bit version of the update and attempted to install it in Windows 7RC. I have a late 2007 20 inch iMac. As usual, Windows asked me twice for permission to execute the file. Then absolutely nothing. Windows 7RC works "flawlessly" in BootCamp, except for everything that is wrong on the Mac side. I have no idea what version of BootCamp I have, or how to find out. But, it is sounding like I will be forced into purchasing XP or Vista. Well, I can't exactly purchase XP SP2, which seems to be the overall requirement. I also refuse to do so. I am NOT going to purchase another version of Windows plus W7. Apple must take me for a freaking idiot. I can't run the BootCamp Extras from my Leopard DVD, for I loose my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. So as a result, my mouse scroll wheel does not work. The Windows clock is wrong. I can't control the screen brightness. The audio driver from the Leopard/BootCamp Extras does not work correctly either. So it looks like Apple is going to want me to purchase more RAM, I only have the original one gig, a USB keyboard and mouse, a copy of Vista, and a copy of Windows 7. Just so you know, Apple, that will NOT happen. I will sell this machine and get a PC with all the above. If you read my old posts, I note my weak eyesight. Windows 7 turns out to function much better for me than Leopard, or even Snow Leopard. There are speech programs that work almost as well for the PC as the included voices on the Mac. Apple does not support HDMI without an adapter. A growing number of PCs do. So I can use an HD TV as a monitor and get oversized text in either 720 or 1080 resolution. Apple, you are in the process of loosing a customer who has been unhappy with you since the beginning. I'm sure that is fine though. You will just go get another. That theory seems to work with Comcast and Sirius XM.

Why would you install a production release version of an update onto a release candidate? I can't make sense of much of the rest of your post. No idea why you seem to think you need to buy more ram, or purchase XP or Vista. Windows 7 will function with a gig of ram. Adding more ram won't resolve driver issues.

For the Windows clock, just double click it and set the proper time and time zone.

The rest of your post is rather odd. Leopard out of the box doesn't support Windows 7 and it's foolish to expect that everything will work properly using an install DVD that doesn't support Windows 7.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Windows 7 works fine here with the drivers shipped on the Snow Leopard disk (for Vista). Not sure what WPLJ42's problem is (beyond a broken return key, clearly).

Windows generally requires you to install drivers for it to work with your hardware - this is true on a PC as well as a Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Windows 7 works fine here with the drivers shipped on the Snow Leopard disk (for Vista). Not sure what WPLJ42's problem is (beyond a broken return key, clearly).

Windows generally requires you to install drivers for it to work with your hardware - this is true on a PC as well as a Mac.

From the post, it appears he or she is trying to use a Leopard disk, not a Snow Leopard disk.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    There is nothing wrong with my keyboard. I'm not sure what the confusion is with my post. I do have a couple of cold solder connections upstairs. I have some processing issues, the primary reason for my bad eyesight. If I can't get W7RC to work with BootCamp, why oh why, would I go out and purchase it? I do not have Snow Leopard. I don't see the need. Even at $29, there is nothing in it I need. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it just never fails that people here choose to misunderstand my posts, and give me a bad time. Is that really necessary? I suspect I could be happy with Vista Home Basic, but I don't want to purchase it either, without knowing if my bluetooth keyboard and mouse are going to work with it. Perhaps someone can tell me if that works or not? By the way, W7RC works okay with one gig, but it is slow. Vista Home Basic will run with 512 megs. It is the final version of Windows to run 100% in the classic Windows mode, which I would actually prefer. I can snag an OEM copy of Vista Home Basic for $50. I would like to know if I can run the BootCamp Extras from my Leopard DVD and have them all install without issues? There is a hissing noise associated with the Realtek audio driver that comes with the BootCamp Extras. Will that be a problem with Vista? My eyesight is a little blurry, all the time. I need to do something to make it better. Windows 7 makes it better. Is anyone still confused? I'll be back tomorrow. Have a great evening!
  • Reply 19 of 60
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    I have a late 2006 iMac purchased in early 2007. Less than three years old! I bought Snow Leopard. I have a copy of Windows 7 I tried to install when it came out. (Need Windows to check IE compatibility in websites I design.) Big problem, lack of proper support meant it was a big failure and I had to get rid of the partition. So I wait months for Apple to finally support it. And I check Software Update, and it won't install it. Any reason? I mean what the heck? So I use Parallels 5, it works well enough.. \

And another thing, what the heck is this about needing Vista/XP to install 7?! Has Apple lost its marbles or something?
  • Reply 20 of 60
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post

First off, welcome to the boards.

Quote:

The software requires either Windows XP or Windows Vista SP2 before installing Windows 7.

To further support the Microsoft OS, system-specific drivers are available. Those with the new late 2009 iMac, both 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, can download the iMac Late 2009 Windows 7 Drivers, while iMac and Mac Pro users can use the Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 update for compatibility.

Finally, Apple has also released the Boot Camp Utility for Windows 7 Upgrade, which safely unmounts the read-only Macintosh volume on Microsoft Windows Vista. The utility must be used before upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

WTF???

Where is the easy of use we come to expect from Apple? Why do people have to pay double? Vista and Win7?

Is this just a attempt to make it hard for people to install/upgrade/update their Windows partition?

Is Apple finally realizing their mistake allowing Windows on the Mac hardware and now trying to drive them off?

I expected something like this from Apple, thus I went the VMFusion route, so much easier to revert to the very first install configuration and update from there. Necessary for Windows.