Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

Comments

• Reply 121 of 173
    Wasn't it tekstud who coined the name iPad last summer and you all made fun of him?
  • Reply 122 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

you're obviously not a Trekkie. Because most of us know the "Pad" from Star Trek TNG.

If you're going to go all geek on us, at least get the name right. It was a PADD, not a Pad.
  • Reply 123 of 173
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Wasn't it tekstud who coined the name iPad last summer and you all made fun of him?

Well, yeah, but the point is not the quality of the post, but instead, the degree of loyalty to Apple.
  • Reply 124 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

But most iPhone owners expect that their iPhone should multitask.

I don't buy that. They bought it without third party application multi-tasking. If it was an important feature they wouldn't have bought it. The built-in applications multi-task to serve most people's needs. I think multi-tasking will be more important in the future though. That's probably why we'll see support for it in iPhone OS 4
  • Reply 125 of 173
    I for one welcome REAL muti-tasking where if I get an email that has a link to a web page and I can just flip back to mail with out having to back out and then relaunch Mail all over again.
  • Reply 126 of 173
    Can I get that new iPod Touch Supersized with fries?
  • Reply 127 of 173
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I'm going with -

iWin
  • Reply 128 of 173
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'm finding it not different enough from iPod. \

Neither do I, plus it?s been parodied. Plus, the name can?t be copyrighted or trademarked anywhere else or they might find themselves into a satiation where they can?t use the name. like with the AirPort in Japan, I recall that iPad was already used elsewhere.

I?m still holding for Apple Tablet. We refer to the App Store despite not being the only one. Perhaps Apple wants the basic Tablet name to automatically refer to the Apple Tablet as the top device.

I also think iBook is nice, but as Ireland pointed out a few months ago it may be too soon which millions still in use.

In end, I don?t care what they call it so long as it does what I need it to do and that has yet to be determined.
  • Reply 129 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Well, yeah, but the point is not the quality of the post, but instead, the degree of loyalty to Apple.

• Reply 130 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your first choice is brilliant. Given that your original design will (probably) have been adopted, they should go with your name-choice as well.

Your second choice, " Tablet" is unlikely. It's somewhat inelegant. Doesn't roll off the tongue too easily.... (sounds somewhat like 'applet-tapplet').

I see the first choice as not being impossible since Mac OS X can?t run effectively on a 7-10? tablet.
  • Reply 131 of 173
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Faster, more efficient, multicore chips?

The processor isn't the limiting factor, memory is the problem.

Quote:

But most iPhone owners expect that their iPhone should multitask.

What evidence do you have of that? Pulling information from you butt doesn't count

Quote:

All the cool new phones will be multitasking up a storm. It is happening already. Try to keep up.

Apple never does anything simply because everyone else is doing it. If they did they would have a netbook.
  • Reply 132 of 173
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Can't be something more innovative and clever than just iSomething.

Apple should think beyond iBrand.

I want something powerful like "PowerMac G4 Cube".
  • Reply 133 of 173
    azazaazaza Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Newton?!

I told you before, it will be called the iZac

• Reply 134 of 173
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Prior to the 27th, I prefer to stick with the...

...iDunno.
  • Reply 135 of 173
    I can't help but think about the tip that ?You will be very surprised how you interact with the new tablet.?

What if it is the "Apple Wave"? You interact with it by gestures above the screen, so that it is not (by preference) a "touch" at all, but rather a "no-touch". What if the enigmatic paint-spatter invitation graphic was produced by a demo app for the new Apple Wave, where you flick your fingers at the screen and it responds with paint spatters?

Of course, for legacy apps it also supports the fingers-on approach, but that's so 2D...
  • Reply 136 of 173
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I just got a call from the Daily Bugle.

It will be called Papyrus
  • Reply 137 of 173
    I like how the anti-multitask mentality comes from "well, if Apple didn't include it from the first revision, then it wasn't really an important feature after all!"

Well, what about cut, copy, and paste?

And I like how people believe that "casual phone users wont know the difference." Well, keep in mind that a large amount of users that have these handsets are technophiles that would like to have access to these applications without having to clunkily move back and forth between them. For those who don't care, they don't have to use it, or even acknowledge its there. The phones don't have to be "dumbed down" because a portion of the audience wouldn't use the feature - it's just like when I first got my iPhone. The attendant who activated it the first time suggested "leaving wifi off all the time" and just using "3G for everything" because it would be "just as good and waste less battery." If that's what a customer service person believes about the average user, then why enable wifi functionality at all?

I still think its tedious to have to cut Pandora short mid-song, just because I need to access another part of the phone. Firmware hackers have shown that the iPhone has the memory and processing power to do so, its just limited by what is allowed by the default software.

Hey, if Apple wanted to shove the "speed" argument in Moto Droid's face, they could allow the 3Gs to run at its normal 833ghz speed!
  • Reply 138 of 173
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Frankly, noobs (noob, AFAIK, means someone who doesn't want to learn) took me.

Tutorial
    1. Open Mobile Safari,

2. Go on your favorite internet radio site,

3. Start playback,

4. Quit Mobile Safari; playback continues,

5. Enjoy reading your emails, playing your uber-mega-RPG on iPhone...

• Reply 139 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

I like how the anti-multitask mentality comes from "well, if Apple didn't include it from the first revision, then it wasn't really an important feature after all!"

Well, what about cut, copy, and paste?

And I like how people believe that "casual phone users wont know the difference." Well, keep in mind that a large amount of users that have these handsets are technophiles that like to have access to these applications without having to clunkily move back and forth between them. For those who don't care, they don't have to use it, or even acknowledge its there.

I still think its tedious to have to cut Pandora short mid-song, just because I need to access another part of the phone. Firmware hackers have shown that the iPhone has the memory and processing power to do so, its just limited by what is allowed by the default software.

Hey, if Apple wanted to shove the "speed" argument in Moto Droid's face, they could allow the 3Gs to run at its normal 833ghz speed!

• Reply 140 of 173
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Yes, because you...er he...was a tool and iPad is a feminine hygiene product.

You know if you make it TOO obvious you're him you'll get another alias banned.