the content avalanche is starting...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
the beginning of what should be a content avalanche is starting...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...o&mod=yahoo_hs

HarperCollins is one of the biggest publishers in the world and is a subisdiary of News Corp. This will be just the very beginning of all the publishers that will flock to the tablet. Assuming Apple offers the same revenue split (70/30) with publishers that it offers app developers this is a big time no brainer. Amazon offers 50/50 splits but is willing to do 70/30 only if the Kindle gets exclusive distribution rights for the content. Amazon will obviously have to rethink that strategy once the "iSlate" hits the market. Not to mention that the price point for e-books on the iSlate is likely to be much higher than on the Kindle due to video capabilities that would provide author interviews and other "behind the scenes" content. This is going to be a homerun for Apple. If the price is $700 or thereabouts they could sell upwards of 5 million of these per year in my opinion.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 6
    Not sure that I'll be in such a rush to buy my content in a locked-down format though. This might be one occasion where Apple has gotten ahead of itself. I'd just as soon have PDF's with a good PDF reader. And I certainly don't want to be buying with DRM. Print material with DRM is like buying 8-Tracks. Sooner or later you lose the whole investment.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    1. You'll see every publishing outfit and their dog rushing to get in on this. Print publications will be dying to monetize their material. The 2nd gold rush of the iTunes Store after apps.

2. Yes, DRM and lockdown. But that was the argument against music and music videos (now DRM-free). It's still an argument for applications. But there's the jailbreak scene.

3. I think publication and apps for Tablet will have hybrid solutions - DRM-free, "open-sourced" stuff, and the usual apps/ paid publications/ subscriptions (like TV Season Passes on iTunes Store).

4. People and content producers will all be flooding this platform. It could outpace the Kindle. Or at least be No. 2 right behind the Kindle.

5. I for one am dying to get US publications which cost 4x the amount here in Asia for the print version which I have to keep, store, can't refer to whenever I wan't to, etc. I imagine US and UK, global, etc. publishers will start offering newspapers, magazines, books, etc. of course all at a cheaper price than the printed stuff. $0.99, $1.99, etc. Daily newspapers would be sold as a monthly pass, perhaps.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1. You'll see every publishing outfit and their dog rushing to get in on this. Print publications will be dying to monetize their material. The 2nd gold rush of the iTunes Store after apps.

2. Yes, DRM and lockdown. But that was the argument against music and music videos (now DRM-free). It's still an argument for applications. But there's the jailbreak scene.

3. I think publication and apps for Tablet will have hybrid solutions - DRM-free, "open-sourced" stuff, and the usual apps/ paid publications/ subscriptions (like TV Season Passes on iTunes Store).

4. People and content producers will all be flooding this platform. It could outpace the Kindle. Or at least be No. 2 right behind the Kindle.

5. I for one am dying to get US publications which cost 4x the amount here in Asia for the print version which I have to keep, store, can't refer to whenever I wan't to, etc. I imagine US and UK, global, etc. publishers will start offering newspapers, magazines, books, etc. of course all at a cheaper price than the printed stuff. $0.99, $1.99, etc. Daily newspapers would be sold as a monthly pass, perhaps.

1. Surely you aren't forgetting music, where the iTunes store started?

2. I would hope that content providers would have learned their lesson and just start out DRM-free this time, but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen.

5. Unfortunately, whereever there's DRM, region-coding is possible. And I would bet that content providers would want that to happen, because there are huge price discrepancies for journals, textbooks, etc., and content providers will want the price discrimination to persist to keep milking all markets for all their worth.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The iTunes store setup a the moment is set to the country you are in, so I get the UK store, but there is stuff that's on the US store not available here for me. I'd think that it would be the same situation for publications, so lets say for an example that the UK would get a Top Gear magazine, but that wont be in America, where you'll have Road & Track.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

1. Surely you aren't forgetting music, where the iTunes store started?

Heh. I haven't forgotten. Though unlike the app store rush, iTunes store started out cautiously, with AFAIK Jobs having to do a ton of negotiating with the evil corporate music media empire.

Quote:

2. I would hope that content providers would have learned their lesson and just start out DRM-free this time, but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen.

Nope. Unlikely to be DRM-free in the light of the other DRM'ed epublications. However, I expect DRM of ePublications to crumble in a few years if the Tablet really takes off.

Quote:

5. Unfortunately, whereever there's DRM, region-coding is possible. And I would bet that content providers would want that to happen, because there are huge price discrepancies for journals, textbooks, etc., and content providers will want the price discrimination to persist to keep milking all markets for all their worth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

The iTunes store setup a the moment is set to the country you are in, so I get the UK store, but there is stuff that's on the US store not available here for me. I'd think that it would be the same situation for publications, so lets say for an example that the UK would get a Top Gear magazine, but that wont be in America, where you'll have Road & Track.

That's the beauty of the iTunes Gift Card. There are tons of people buying US iTunes Gift Cards and getting all the goodies it offers. Such iTunes Gift Cards are sold and available, especially through the Internet all over the world. So if the media empires want to still play the draconian "Region Coding" they can shove it up their ***

For me, let's just say if it is a US publication I'll be getting it direct from the US iTunes Store.