Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

Comments

• Reply 141 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Frankly, noobs (noob, AFAIK, means someone who doesn't want to learn) took me.

Tutorial
    1. Open Mobile Safari,

2. Go on your favorite internet radio site,

3. Start playback,

4. Quit Mobile Safari; playback continues,

5. Enjoy reading your emails, playing your uber-mega-RPG on iPhone...

Yes, yes, we all know Apple based applications continue to run.

This argument would work...if most internet radio sites didn't use some sort of Adobe Flash component
  • Reply 142 of 173
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

I like how the anti-multitask mentality comes from "well, if Apple didn't include it from the first revision, then it wasn't really an important feature after all!"

Well, what about cut, copy, and paste?

Nobody cared about it until Apple implemented it. Then it became the biggest innovation in the history of handheld devices.

Quote:

The phones don't have to be "dumbed down" because a portion of the audience wouldn't use the feature

Apple gives us the features we need. If they don't give it to us, it is because it is better that way.
  • Reply 143 of 173
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

This argument would work...if most internet radio sites didn't use some sort of Adobe Flash component

Really, technophile? Whatever I pick plays just fine with QT.
  • Reply 144 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Really, technophile? Whatever I pick plays just fine with QT.

whoa, streaming sites still use Quick Time!?
  • Reply 145 of 173
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

whoa, streaming sites still use Quick Time!?

Now I'm puzzled... Why would sites use QT, what good would it do to us and why should we care anyway

peace
  • Reply 146 of 173
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

I for one welcome REAL muti-tasking where if I get an email that has a link to a web page and I can just flip back to mail with out having to back out and then relaunch Mail all over again.

Ironically, what you're describing is a desire for quicker app switching, not "REAL" multi-tasking.
  • Reply 147 of 173
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Wasn't it tekstud who coined the name iPad last summer and you all made fun of him?

You're joking right? I remember people were talking about it in 2005/2006 and then MADTV made this around the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18
  • Reply 148 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Prior to the 27th, I prefer to stick with the...

...iDunno.

I was thinking more like iCan'tEvenImagine, but I like yours better; more succinct.
  • Reply 149 of 173
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

You're joking right? I remember people were talking about it in 2005/2006 and then MADTV made this around the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18

When Apple adds some obvious feature (I think it was a video camera to the iPhone or increased storage capacity) he came on the forums saying ?we all should thank him?. He actually thought his bitching on these forums is the reason why Apple added this obvious evolutionary feature.

Here are some predictions of mine that will eventually come true and that I?ll be happy with despite being more than content with the iPhone I have now?.
    1. More

2. Better

3. Faster

• Reply 150 of 173
    1. iPad

2. iTab

3. iTouch

4. iBook

iSlate or iTablet are too clumsy.

I personally like iTab~
  • Reply 151 of 173
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banalltv

iTablet sounds clunky, iPad or Slate ( not iSlate, isolate ) both sound better to me.

iPad? What is it, a tampon?

no, an alternative to a tampon...

If it has a flexible OLED screen and a soft back, it could double up as one. All the aches and pains of the cycle soothed away by internet shopping.

Seriously, the name iPad is friendly and really isn't much closer to a sanitary towel than the words knee-pad, touchpad, writing pad, wordpad (in Windows).

The word also fits the group: iphone, ipod, ipad. Forcing the world to enunciate properly to distinguish between ipod and ipad can have no bad consequences.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heathsnow

Yesterday someone suggested the Apple Canvas. I thought is sounded much better than any of the aforementioned names.

I like the sound of it but like sketchpad, it defines the usage too specifically. You can use a pad or a slate for writing as well as drawing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne

Folio

Palm would take issue with that and Apple wouldn't use that word because of the Palm Folio.

I think in every day conversation, the iPad sounds decent and will look good printed on the device. The perception of the name will change when we know it's association.

I like the name Mac Touch but that would be for a touch-based Mac not a big ipod.

iPad for big touch ipod

Mac Touch for touch netbook - maybe even MacinTouch

It can't be worse than this:

http://gizmodo.com/5447804/the-blood...d-for-the-imac
  • Reply 152 of 173
    Ohhhhhhhhhh...Come on!!! Don't tell me that you haven't think about it.... take a look at adium stats at models running adium.... It seems to me very obvious... MacBookNano

http://www.adium.im/sparkle/?forceShow[]=model#model
  • Reply 153 of 173
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    The Granny Smith.

• Reply 154 of 173
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There remains ongoing chatter that the assets acquired in last summer's purchase of Google Maps competitor Placebase could play a part in the new mobile operating system. Currently, Apple relies on Google's Maps service for its iPhone application.

In November it was revealed that Apple was seeking a full-time employee to take the Maps program "to the next level." With rumors that iPhone OS 4.0 could be a part of Apple's Jan. 27 event, it is possible a new Maps application could be a part of those plans.

No matter what other features/products we see on Jan 27th, I guarantee THIS will be one of them.
  • Reply 155 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think in every day conversation, the iPad sounds decent and will look good printed on the device. The perception of the name will change when we know it's association.

Also, doesn't Steve introduce these things by their first names rather than as THE something?

'This, is iPad' rather than 'This, is the iPad.'

As if he's introducing a new baby to his other children rather than as if he has his buddies over for beers on a saturday afternoon and he's letting them see his new lawnmower with the extra good something or other?
  • Reply 156 of 173
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Wasn't it tekstud who coined the name iPad last summer and you all made fun of him?

he did NOT coin the name, that would suggest that he came up with the idea. Despite the fact that Apple apparently owns a patent for the name "iPad", HP actually had a product back in the early 2000's called I-PAD i beleive. A short lived tablet computer i think...
  • Reply 157 of 173
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

If you're going to go all geek on us, at least get the name right. It was a PADD, not a Pad.

i stand corrected, thanks...it didn't look right when i typed it.
  • Reply 158 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

he did NOT coin the name, that would suggest that he came up with the idea. Despite the fact that Apple apparently owns a patent for the name "iPad", HP actually had a product back in the early 2000's called I-PAD i beleive. A short lived tablet computer i think...

Note that mrkoolaid is Teckstud.
  • Reply 159 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note that mrkoolaid is Teckstud.

I thought Teckstud got banned???

• Reply 160 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I thought Teckstud got banned???

He did and his account got deleted, but he is using an alias. The mods know and he?s been ?better? as mrkoolaid in the sense that he isn?t posting nearly as much and attacking posters so I?m sure the mods see no harm in letting him use that name though ?m sure he?s still on double secret probation.