Oppenheimer: Bing deal could bring Apple more risk than reward

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    "AT&T is on the losing end because it does not receive any of the revenue associated with software on the App Store, yet is the use of many of those applications that has resulted in poor network quality."

So AT&T will just have to take it's monthly subscription fee, not upgrade thier network and be happy with it. This is the most disengenuous statement I've heard in a while.

Talk about double dipping.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Uh, ever heard of Microsoft Office for the Mac? It's almost always on the front page of Shop Mac area of the online Apple Store.

Reiner makes no sense. How would Bing clash with the Mac vs. PC campaign and the Apple brand identity, when Microsoft Office doesn't?

Thats true, i see your point.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree that people are getting their panties in a twist over nothing here, but not with your assessment of Bing.

Personally, I don't know any one who searches from that impossibly small, useless field in the mobile Safari bar and I'd think it a bonus to the UI if it was removed. If you want to search on the iPhone, the Google app is far better for the purpose and seamlessly passes control over to Safari once the search is done. Dedicated apps for search (not the browser), are definitely the best way to go on mobiles.

The Bing app is already available so all we are talking about here is Microsoft being added to the list of search providers in mobile Safari and maybe being the default when you first fire up the phone. Who cares really?

Who "wins" in mobile search on the iPhone will ultimately come down to who has the best app and despite the bad design of the Google app in some respects, Bings app is far stupider and harder to use effectively IMO. If Google can give the best search results, and keep on top with the best search app, they don't have anything to worry about at all. It's Microsoft that will end up paying through the nose for a position on the iPhone that won't really do them much good beyond growing a bit of brand recognition.

A separate app for searching the web, what's wrong with the UI of mobile safari?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

If it's coming from an analyst, I have no doubt they feel that by starting this rumor, they can manipulate the stock market and get some free cash from Apple's stock... by shorting it Rinse and repeat.

Amen
  • Reply 24 of 127
    It's a rumour, people.

Besides, the last company I'd expect to make any kind of boneheaded move is Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's a rumour, people.

Besides, the last company I'd expect to make any kind of boneheaded move is Apple.

True dat. Apple isn't stupid. They'll make the smart move like they always do.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    Heh, it depends on what you think Apple trades against being proud of having created nice ads.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

I'd rather have their new turn by turn nav app on the iphone.

How can you say that without knowing what the alternative is like.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Heh, it depends on what do you thing Apple trades against being proud of having created nice ads.

I don't understand what your saying. lol
  • Reply 29 of 127
    What's the real threat from Google?

Apple has been wildly successful delivering premium products and Google's whole existence is predicated on free services that push search ads.

Who cares if Google has Android? It seems to be racing against itself to fall into the Windows Mobile trap - with dozens of slightly different OS versions and hardware configurations in the wild, snapping up niches to be sure, but not offering a compelling 'switch' case to Apple's core market.

Who cares if Google has Chrome? It's, once again, aimed directly at commodity hardware and the internet. It's not going to offer the integrated, consistent experience that Apple creates and sells for a premium. And Google's not going to be nearly as strict with its suppliers as Apple, leading to many of the same inconsistent performance and expectation problems of the Windows market. These are core features to Apple's market and they're not going to leave for Chrome any more than they'll leave for Windows 7.

I bet the Google/Apple 'split' -- evidenced by nothing more than Schmidt leaving Apple's board -- had far more to do with the FTC investigation than any rift or rivalry. The Google Voice thing is a red herring. Google Voice has reliability issues. It mucks up expectations (see: SMS/MMS routing). Did the relationship chill, or did Apple simply not want to see the press filled with people blaming Apple for the slightly-kludgy system and inconsistent performance?
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:

Personally, I don't know any one who searches from that impossibly small, useless field in the mobile Safari bar

Everyone I know uses that field perfectly well, as I would guess 95% of iPhone users do.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

I don't understand what your saying. lol

Basically, my saying meant they wouldn't cut janitor jobs at MacDonald's.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    What would make more sense is making Bing the default search, but offering an easy option to set whatever search you would like in the settings (Google, Ask, Yahoo, etc.). It would be too abrupt to just oust Google outright.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    I think people are too quick to rule out Apple creating their own search engine.

Maybe not now, but as a long term strategy it makes sense.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

A separate app for searching the web, what's wrong with the UI of mobile safari? ...

A dedicated app is always going to be better. Voice search is one of the obvious advantages. It's also just plain faster to hit the Google button than it is to launch Safari, and then find the tiny search field with your finger.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

What would make more sense is making Bing the default search, but offering an easy option to set whatever search you would like in the settings (Google, Ask, Yahoo, etc.). It would be too abrupt to just oust Google outright.

Settings >Safari> Search Provider.

already there, always has been.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new analysis suggests a Apple-Microsoft deal...

Typo - an Apple ...

sorry but it jumped out and hit me right between the eyes.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dphayes77 View Post

Search is search, as long as the end user gets decent results and can get to what it is they are looking for, I don't see the bi(n)g deal.

You're wrong. Anyway, it's not true.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Besides the fact that Bing coming from MS, it is by far inferior technology (compare to Google). I can not see Apple in right mind forcing all iPhone users to use something which is not best of the best ( and is not coming from Apple ). I do hope that all this hubbub is abut iPhone OS 4.0 adding Bing as one of choices of Search Engines.

Andrei
  • Reply 39 of 127
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Everyone I know uses that field perfectly well, as I would guess 95% of iPhone users do.

Agreed. I had to laugh when I saw that.

Using the Google App you:

Exit out of safari

Find the Google app and open it

Type in your query and then wait for safari to open your result on a new tab

Besides the irritation of having to close safari to search with the Google app, you then end up with umpteen tabs open. It's just a hassle when I just need to look up some trivial fact or location.

I don't know anyone who doesn't use the built in Safari UI search field and I never end up doing a single search. There are always multiple searches, meaning I would have to wash, rinse, and repeat.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Settings >Safari> Search Provider.

already there, always has been.

If Bing is set as the default but Google is till an option the people that prefer Google can change at will. Most users will stick to what is set as default as long as the experience is good. If Bing turns out not to offer a great experience then the switching procedure will be something the entire world and their best friends will know about in no time at all. From a user perspective I am not really worried. I use Google Ad-words, however, and get a lot of business that way. I tried MS for a while but I don't think I ever got a single hit through their service.