Oppenheimer: Bing deal could bring Apple more risk than reward

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    While I don't use the Google app much I do like Google search results in Safari (Mac & iPhone). If Apple decides to use Bing as the default search engine on iPhone Safari I'm fine as long as Google isn't removed as a choice under Settings. If they decide to remove the Google option I'll be more than miffed.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This guy Reiner is clueless. I say good for apple, and the world if someone can put and end to google's dominance, their dictatorship over who appears and who doesn't on the web. If it has to be bing (what a name....tststst...) so be it, although I would go with yahoo, and altavista specifically.

True, the guy IS clueless. Doesn't he know that Mac users run WIndows software on their machines, or that their machines can run the WIndows OS?
  • Reply 63 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Assuming you put the dedicated app in the dock. Safari's in my dock already (along with phone, mail, and SMS). Those four apps are more important to me in the dock than a dedicated search app for Google. Easier for me to just hit Safari and touch the very easy to find search box in the top right of the screen than it would be to try to find which of my pages the dedicated app is on.

To each his own.

Safari's search bar works just fine for me and everyone I know.

Pretty clear from your multiple posts that you don't like Safari and prefer Google app instead. It's just one of those personal preferences things; you can't make blanket statements like yours that apply to the other 30 million iPhone users around the world. Thankfully, we have choices about what method to use!

Fair enough criticism on the "to each his (or her)own" part to a degree, but seriously ... If you are using mobile Safari on the iPhone for things like this you are kinda "doing it wrong."

The point of the iPhone is that it's always connected to this thing called the Internet and that it runs these things called apps that are fast, small, and do one thing (and usually one thing only) really well.

In general, and personal preferences aside etc., opening mobile Safari to "connect to the Internet and do X" is totally old-school and backwards.

If you want to look at Facebook, press "the Facebook button" (Facebook app) instead.

If you want to search for something, press "the search button" (google app)

If you want to tweet, press the Twitter button etc. etc. ...

This is the revolutionary thing about the iPhone and the reason why a lot of "regular" non-computer folks like your Mum have found them easy to use.

This is a major reason why smartphone adoption is up.

This is the way your kids will use the Internet.

Sure open Safari if you want, but I'd argue that this is the way of the future or whatever.

You don't *have* to have Safari in the dock either. My dock has all my communication apps that I use all the time, and my "search button" (Google app) is on my main page, cause I do that all the time.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The point of the iPhone is that it's always connected to this thing called the Internet and that it runs these things called apps that are fast, small, and do one thing (and usually one thing only) really well.

This is in no way the "point" of the iPhone, and in every way a limitation of its introductory hardware.

Talk about a lack of vision.
  • Reply 65 of 127
    Will the next article be 'Apple considering running Windows 7 on new tablet?'

Clearly somekind of planted PR bomb
  • Reply 66 of 127
    r210r210 Posts: 13member
    Quote:

AT&T is on the losing end because it does not receive any of the revenue associated with software on the App Store, yet is the use of many of those applications that has resulted in poor network quality.

hhmmm... I'll take $30 a month from every user.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    Unless it's a real threat they probably won't do anything. Look at WinMo. It's there. Apple doesn't care because nobody likes it and hardly competes with iPhone. Android is a great mobile platform and it's growing quickly.

Either way, I don't really see Apple doing this. I do understand that Apple already sells Office and Intel Macs can run Windows, but Google is just so popular and good. I don't see Apple switching that. But then again, I'm sure they'll allow you to switch back...

Like someone else said, this might be a rumor that arose from the iPhone possibly coming to Verizon and Verizon using Bing... Who knows.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dphayes77 View Post

Search is search, as long as the end user gets decent results and can get to what it is they are looking for, I don't see the bi(n)g deal. Chill out---besides the Bing! app itself is nice and there is a Google app if their is that much concern. Common sense should prevail here.

You are way off base.

There may be BIG differences in search companies: how much information they gather on you, how they use that information, how many ads they throw in your face, whether the search results are accurate (or whether companies can buy rankings), whether companies that advertise more will see higher placement in the rankings, whether the search company owns products that it infiltrates into search results, whether the search company keeps its competitors pages low in the rankings, etc.

Google has pretty bad privacy policies (my opinion), but I wouldn't trust Microsoft in ANY of these areas.

Of course the biggest difference is how useful are the results you get, and how many times you have to click before you find what you're looking for. Bing is deficient here, in my experience.
  • Reply 69 of 127
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

That's ad(vertising) revenue, not app(lications) revenue.

Does Google share revenue from the selling of apps in the Android Marketplace to end-users with it's carrier "partners"?

i don't think anyone cares since the amount is so small. the way android works is the OS is free, the google apps are $15 per device I think and Google shares advertising revenue. They probably know how much because they probably track everything by device
  • Reply 70 of 127
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dphayes77 View Post

Search is search, as long as the end user gets decent results and can get to what it is they are looking for, I don't see the bi(n)g deal. Chill out---besides the Bing! app itself is nice and there is a Google app if their is that much concern. Common sense should prevail here.

Yes. Whatever Apple decides for us will be the best choice. They will choose a search engine for us based on the user experience that is best for us - not based on what makes them the most money.
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This guy Reiner is clueless. I say good for apple, and the world if someone can put and end to google's dominance, their dictatorship over who appears and who doesn't on the web. If it has to be bing (what a name....tststst...) so be it, although I would go with yahoo, and altavista specifically.

Steve will choose for us, and we will see that it is good.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is in no way the "point" of the iPhone, and in every way a limitation of its introductory hardware.

Talk about a lack of vision.

It is completely the point of the iPhone in the context of the discussion at hand and given the state of the hardware today.

Outside of games and a few utilities and productivity apps, most iPhone applications use the Internet and the "always connected" feature of the iPhone to do what they do. I just counted my apps and aproximately 87% of them are such apps.

You don't need a weather app, or a TV guide app or in fact most of the apps most people have because all of them draw information from the Internet or are targetted, widgetised versions of web services and web pages that already exist and can be looked up in Safari.

They exist because they are easier to use, faster, better designed experiences and clearer to the end user than going through Safari.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

I don't want a new map application! I like google's mapping software. I don't want to be forced into changing!

Yeah, but Apple doesn't give customers what they want, it gives customers what is best for them.

You'll see - the new mapping application will be ssssssoooooooooo great!
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's a rumour, people.

Besides, the last company I'd expect to make any kind of boneheaded move is Apple.

Precisely. When they decide which new search engine we will use, it will be the best decision that they could possibly have made. Its all about user experience with them.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Everyone I know uses that field perfectly well, as I would guess 95% of iPhone users do.

Sorry, but Gazoobie has hard data here. I wouldn't assume that he just makes things up and states them like they are statistics.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

What's the real threat from Google?

Apple has been wildly successful delivering premium products and Google's whole existence is predicated on free services that push search ads.

Who cares if Google has Android? It seems to be racing against itself to fall into the Windows Mobile trap - with dozens of slightly different OS versions and hardware configurations in the wild, snapping up niches to be sure, but not offering a compelling 'switch' case to Apple's core market.

That's not what it looks to me. They are all iPhone competitors. Whether they are as good, who knows, but they are all attempts at competing with iPhones. You don't mistake the failure of the product from the intention or even indirect intention of the product.

Before the iPhone was released, Google was turning Android into a Treo/Blackberry/PPC type platform. After the iPhone, basically every Android phone release has been an iPhone clone, down to app store strategies and various UI conventions. They have had a direct hand with exact and direct competition to Apple's iPhone: Nexus One, Droid, mytouch 3G, Hero, G1. Same type of price points, same type of high end profits kind of hardware. Same type of platform experience (Android market app store, user experience). Not as classy and well integrated as Apple's but they have been continuing to rev the platform and are getting closer to Apple every day.

Google's Android intentions appear to be creating the dominant mobile device platform spanning all devices from cell phones, PDAs, PMPs, and "smartbooks". Those are all direct shots at Apple's bottom line: sales of iPhones, iTunes economy, iPod touch (eventually someone will).

Everyone participating in the "Open Handset Alliance" intends to make as much money as possible, and part of that is knocking Apple off its rails. Google didn't have to do Android. They could have just made deals with all of the mobile platforms to provide search and cloud services. Instead, they want to own it all with Android.

Every Nexus One sale is potentially a loss in an iPhone sale. Every Droid sale is pontentially a loss in an iPhone sale. Every ChromeOS device is potentially a loss in an Apple "Tablet/Slate" device sale.

Those are all knives in the back, opening shots in a war to me. Apple better be taking Google seriously as an enemy as they are promoting a business that makes Apple irrelevant. So, I would welcome Bing sourced map data, Bing sourced "video sharing" application, Bing sourced searching, etc.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igenius View Post

sorry, but gazoobie has hard data here. I wouldn't assume that he just makes things up and states them like they are statistics.

• Reply 78 of 127
    Quote:

... If you are using mobile Safari on the iPhone for things like this you are kinda "doing it wrong."

You don't *have* to have Safari in the dock either. My dock has all my communication apps that I use all the time, and my "search button" (Google app) is on my main page, cause I do that all the time.

I specifically said that those applications in my dock were the ones I found myself going to the most, and therefore the most useful to me, and so yes, they have to be in *my* dock. :-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i don't think anyone cares since the amount is so small. the way android works is the OS is free, the google apps are $15 per device I think and Google shares advertising revenue. They probably know how much because they probably track everything by device

But that is not the argument. I criticized the assertion that AT&T will do deals with other manufacturers of hardware because iPhone apps use a lot of bandwidth and AT&T doesn't get any of the app store revenue. This assertion implies that Google would give some revenue to AT&T from app sales. Nothing you've said addressed that one way or the other.

Quote:

You don't need a weather app, or a TV guide app or in fact most of the apps most people have because all of them draw information from the Internet or are targetted, widgetised versions of web services and web pages that already exist and can be looked up in Safari.

They exist because they are easier to use, faster, better designed experiences and clearer to the end user than going through Safari.

That's your use model, not everyone else's. With the same logic, we should just dump Safari on our Macs and load up with a bunch of specific purpose applications. No thanks. Same with my iPhone.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

What would make more sense is making Bing the default search, but offering an easy option to set whatever search you would like in the settings

You think that would be easy? Apple cannot figure out how to do that yet - it sounds even more hard than cut and paste.

But when Apple finally figures out how to do it, well, we'll all be falling all over ourselves with delight at how well it is done! I can't wait!
  • Reply 80 of 127
    Quote:

A dedicated app is always going to be better. Voice search is one of the obvious advantages. It's also just plain faster to hit the Google button than it is to launch Safari, and then find the tiny search field with your finger.

I disagree. The Safari interface is practically perfect. The search box is done amazingly well.