Oppenheimer: Bing deal could bring Apple more risk than reward

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

I'd rather have their new turn by turn nav app on the iphone.

I would to without paying the high price the GPS maps are charging. Those Maps need some competition.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

It's just one of those personal preferences things; you can't make blanket statements like yours that apply to the other 30 million iPhone users around the world.

Everybody always agrees with Gazooby.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    Today I reviewed some notes taken at an iPhone dev-event some time ago.

Beside some advertising and hype there is a golden thread: user experience design:

- When You do this than please take care of the memory, here some best practice.

- Please take care of the Human Interface Guidelines. A button is not just a button.

- Before You start XCode please spend a lot of time in the concept of the UI. Here some examples and tips how to increase the user experience?*

When I recall my impressions from MW 2007 or when I first touched Google Earth on the iPhone I'm still blown away from the results of the Apple - Google teamwork.

Sometimes ago Google decided to concentrate on Google experience - a legit direction. I think war and fight are too strong words and it's not a fact that Apple fears competition. (they are used to it for decades)

I feel it's more dissatisfaction about the progress in some areas they hoped Google would innovate and push their platform (experience).

Looking for alternatives is also a legit direction.

* Here a link to an article that describes my impressions better than my words:

http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com/pu...ate_like_apple
  • Reply 84 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The separate Google app does have its benefits, but if I'm already in Safari, I probably won't leave it to go run the app.

It is seamless to switch apps on the iPhone - it is pretty much just like multitasking. So why not just leave Safari running in the background and use the Google window?
  • Reply 85 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post

If they decide to remove the Google option I'll be more than miffed.

Don't worry. If they remove it you'll soon realize that it was the best thing to do, and you will thank then for it. It happens to all of us sooner or later.
  • Reply 86 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

True, the guy IS clueless. Doesn't he know that Mac users run WIndows software on their machines, or that their machines can run the WIndows OS?

Macs run Windows better than Windows machines can run it
  • Reply 87 of 127
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Macs run Windows better than Windows machines can run it

do you have proof of that?
  • Reply 88 of 127
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Personally, I don't know any one who searches from that impossibly small, useless field in the mobile Safari bar and I'd think it a bonus to the UI if it was removed.

Interesting, I don't know anyone who doesn't use the awesomely convenient small & efficient field in the mobile Safari bar. In fact, the last 4 people I know who bought iPhones would probably consider that little search field the MOST IMPORTANT part of their iPhone, as they use the device primarily for internet searches through google, second for phone... and usually the first thing people ask me when they get a Touch or iPhone is "how do i search google?".

(for the record... second is "Why can't i connect to wifi?" and third is "does Maps GPS thingy eat up my bandwidth?")

The built in search field and the snap back is the best thing to happen to a browser. This possible move to Bing is a huge deal as Google's success and growth can be directly attributed to the little search field being built into browsers in FF and Safari. It was genius marketing on Google's part.

This is a big deal. Not the second coming of Steve Jobs big deal, or Steve Jobs coming down from Mt. Sinai with the Tablet... but still a big deal.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Interesting, I don't know anyone who doesn't use the awesomely convenient small & efficient field in the mobile Safari bar. In fact, the last 4 people I know who bought iPhones would probably consider that little search field the MOST IMPORTANT part of their iPhone,

It's right up there, no foolin.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    I as a Mac user really hates Flash! One thing I can say that Silver light is a much better plug-in on OS X than Flash.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

do you have proof of that?

Everybody knows it is true.
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Everybody knows it is true.

no they dont.

just because its apple doesnt automatically make it better.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

no they dont.

just because its apple doesnt automatically make it better.

People have shown side by side start up times of identically specced hardware with the mac winning easily, but that is not the greatest way to test anything. There have also been benchmark tests done showing Apple hardware running Windows to slightly outperform similar hardware form other pc vendors. While I don't know how true the statement is, there has been evidence of it.

One thing I do know is true, is superior attention to detail. I've taken apart an Apple laptop and an HP, and they don't compare at all. The HP had components on top of components, with plastic tape separating them, wires running through part of the bottom case then under the motherboard before eventually finding the top of the motherboard. It was a complete mess. My MBP on the other hand, had a great layout, the hard drive even had a rubber antishock mounting system, every component was visible and accessible, and plastic wasn't required to protect electronic components from other ones. It's not surprising at all that macs seem to work better with windows than a traditional windows computer.
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

People have shown side by side start up times of identically specced hardware with the mac winning easily, but that is not the greatest way to test anything. There have also been benchmark tests done showing Apple hardware running Windows to slightly outperform similar hardware form other pc vendors. While I don't know how true the statement is, there has been evidence of it.

One thing I do know is true, is superior attention to detail. I've taken apart an Apple laptop and an HP, and they don't compare at all. The HP had components on top of components, with plastic tape separating them, wires running through part of the bottom case then under the motherboard before eventually finding the top of the motherboard. It was a complete mess. My MBP on the other hand, had a great layout, the hard drive even had a rubber antishock mounting system, every component was visible and accessible, and plastic wasn't required to protect electronic components from other ones. It's not surprising at all that macs seem to work better with windows than a traditional windows computer.

i would actually like to see those tests and see if the specs they used were exactly the same. in theory, the same exact same specs should show the exact same numbers.

the layout i wont argue with. apple does a much better job at assembly and placement of the hardware. HP is horrid, and i will never buy from them. ever.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

I as a Mac user really hates Flash! One thing I can say that Silver light is a much better plug-in on OS X than Flash.

Amen.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Saying that Apple shouldn't have a strategic partnership with Microsoft because it undercuts their tv ads is like saying in the midst of the Cold War that the USSR and China shouldn't cooperate on diplomatic matters because they're competing against each other in the Olympics.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

i would actually like to see those tests and see if the specs they used were exactly the same. in theory, the same exact same specs should show the exact same numbers.

the layout i wont argue with. apple does a much better job at assembly and placement of the hardware. HP is horrid, and i will never buy from them. ever.

The stuff I'm thinking of is over a year old, but specs will never be the same. The listed specs maybe (and they were the same in those tests), but not everything contributing to performance is listed. As an example, when was the last time a laptop manufacturer told you what motherboard they were using? Or the exact hard drive being used? (not all 7200rpm drives are created equal)

In my experience, PC manufacturers tend to pack things in to fill a feature list, that is what sells PCs. With Apple, each piece is considered to be part of a whole, not just a feature/spec to put on a list. I prefer mac hardware over any other brand I've had experience with, even if the "specs" are the same.
  • Reply 98 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple treated us to Google for all these years, until Google came out with a competing mobile phone OS and hardware...

Now Apple is in talks with Bing...

What will Apple do when Microsoft announces their version of a competing phone OS and hardware like they did with Zune, regardless of how much of a failure that was or not?

They will probably start talks with another web browser.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Apple's war with Google isn't. they don't hate Google. it's still a friendly compet. as is this war with Microsoft. And all sides get that.

My issue with Bing is that it's not very mature as a search tool. I can't see Apple putting it at the forefront and lessening the user experience.

I can see perhaps making Bing one of the options but not making it the default.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

The analysis is nonsense; clearly a Google-inspired plant to counteract the obviously Apple-planted rumour.

but what does Google have to win with this rumor. or for that matter Apple.

Microsoft on the other hand. Bing being associated with Apple could be seen as improving the decision' engine's street cred. so if anyone is leaking a fake rumor, my vote is Microsoft.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reverie View Post

The iPhone's Maps applications is made by Apple. Google merely delivers the content. T

point to note, Apple bought out a map service (I think called PlaceBase) last year.
  • Reply 100 of 127
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Worthless analysts. Its Bing, it's not Windows Bing. Consumers are smart enough to know that Mac is being touted over Windows not Bing. These analysts are mentally lazy wankers.