Apple's Jan. 27 'one more thing' could be Verizon iPhone - analyst

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though a new iPhone model isn't expected until June, a new report suggests Apple could use its Jan. 27 media event to announce that the next-generation handset is coming to Verizon this summer.

That's the prediction by Peter Misek, analyst with Canaccord Adams, issued Wednesday. He also expects Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 as part of its product introduction at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco next week. At product unveilings, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs often uses the phrase "One more thing..." to indicate a surprise product announcement towards the end of his keynote presentations.

Misek said he believes tiered data plans are imminent with most wireless carriers in the U.S., but his checks with industry sources indicate that a Verizon-capable iPhone would still carry an unlimited data plan. He also said that the new handset will run on both CDMA and GSM networks.

"Together with our semi-conductor partners, we have ascertained that there is a reasonable chance the Asian supply chain is prepping for mass production of a new iPhone in March, for availability in late Q2, likely June," he said.

In addition, he predicted the new handset will have different pricing than Apple's current model. However, he said, sources have not provided any details on prices.

Looking further into the future, Misek expects Apple to release an LTE-capable "4GS" iPhone in June 2011.

He also gave a run-down of features expected in the new iPhone OS 4.0. The list -- including multitasking, a simpler user interface, and a new way to sync contacts and calendar apps -- are identical to a rumor revealed by a Web site Tuesday.

A year ago, Misek predicted that Apple would introduce three new iPhones in 2009, including a smaller version that would have a $99 price point. While Apple did introduce a handset at that price, it was the previous year's model, the iPhone 3G.

In other Verizon-related news Wednesday, various reports picked up the predictions of analyst Ashok Kumar with Northeast Securities. Kumar believes the tablet will be available in a subsidized model through Verizon at launch.

Kumar spoke with AppleInsider earlier this month and gave those same details, along with additional information he has allegedly heard from suppliers overseas. In particular, he said the tablet processor will be manufactured by Samsung and will be based on the Cortex-A8 ARM architecture, rather than the new Cortex-A9, with a speed of about 1GHz.

Last year, Kumar correctly predicted that Google would release and sell its own handset, which came true with the introduction of the Nexus One. However, the analyst also saw criticism after he noted that iPhone sales in China were "disappointing" before the device was even on sale.

As for a Verizon-compatible iPhone, Kumar disagrees with Misek that the handset would be a world phone capable of both CDMA and GSM networks. Kumar previously told AppleInsider that dual-mode chips from Qualcomm will not likely see enough availability for a June iPhone launch. Instead, Kumar expects a separate CDMA-only phone to be introduced in 2010, alongside the existing GSM-only models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    Just like 3 years ago, when the iPhone was about to be announced, rumors spread to impact and run up Apple's stock price.....with the hopes of selling before the actual news is announced.
  • Reply 2 of 104
    It ain't gonna happen, peoples (not this year, at least). Nothing to see here - move along now.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    the "one more thing" could also be a giant robotic badger.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    If there's a 3G deal with Verizon for tablet data, maybe.

But I doubt it. And the iPhone is certainly not going to front-run for LTE.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Damn if that is the "one last thing" how boring and uninspiring would that be.

I know that lots of Americans would jump for joy, but for most of the rest of the planet that already standardised on gsm it would be a waste, if there is a one last thing please be something decent!
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post

the "one more thing" could also be a giant robotic badger.

Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers!
  • Reply 7 of 104
    After "There's a map for that" and the island of misfit toys commercial - there will not be a Verizon iPhone as long as Steve Jobs lives.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I know that lots of Americans would jump for joy, but for most of the rest of the planet that already standardised on gsm it would be a waste, if there is a one last thing please be something decent!

I don't know. I would think the announcement of an LTE iPhone could be one last thing worthy especially sold unlocked.

No need to mention Verizon by name.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    If they announce a Verizon deal, it won't be the "one more thing." Rather, it'll be a throwaway early in the presentation. But why would Apple detract from the singular focus of the event - their new creation? Verizon on iPhone is a big deal in the US, and it'll steal media headlines.

More importantly, why would they announce a Verizon iPhone in Jan for delivery in June (that's five months) when they are already selling an iPhone? At least in the US, Apple only pre-announces that far in advance when it will not impact a product that it is already selling. AppleTV and original iPhone are the two examples of this.

Misek's take is idiotic. His rundown also sounds like he's reading BGR.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know. I would think the announcement of an LTE iPhone could be one last thing worthy especially sold unlocked.

No need to mention Verizon by name.

You misread. The LTE iPhone is predicted for June 2011. 2011.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    What's the big deal about making a phone for a short lived bastard network like CDMA. Verizon should either move up their deployment of LTE or wait until 2011 to get an iPhone that works EVERYWHERE. Apple should learn a lesson from the China Unicom deal. They made a special version of the iPhone to comply with national regulations and they probably still have not sold as many iPhones in China as they did the first weekend here in the US back in June of 2007. So why make a phone that is going to be obsolete in 18 months even before the contract runs out. Apple didn't put parallel ports on their computers so they could connect to the majority of available PC printers they stuck with USB and now what do the majority of printers connect to their computer with. There are other GSM carriers in the US why not open up to them.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Analyst Roger Mangolover predicts that Apple will open a retail store on the moon. He has set Apple shares price target at $4000. blah blah blah

More spaghetti slinging and seeing what sticks
  • Reply 13 of 104
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why? There will not be any significant portion of the US population with access to LTE until 2013 at the earliest. Verizion has said as much, and Sprint is a joke!
  • Reply 14 of 104
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    A Verizon iPhone makes sense now.

Just look at the evidence from the UK - sales have exploded since O2's exclusivity deal ended. Given that Americans are much more reluctant to change carriers, the effect of a Verizon iPhone will only be even greater.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Why? There will not be any significant portion of the US population with access to LTE until 2013 at the earliest. Verizion has said as much, and Sprint is a joke!

The iPhone is sold worldwide. Some countries will have LTE a lot sooner.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Good thing then, Apple already sells more than half of its iPhones in the U.S. With Verizon in tow, it could rise as high as 60-70%.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

And AT&T is still going to be mostly edge.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    One more thing?

More like:

"Not a thing".
  • Reply 18 of 104
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    My initial gut said... NO WAY!! This event is going to be all about the tablet (sorry but I'm not gonna call it the iPad) not ever!

And that isn't because I don't think Verizon will get the iPhone this yea... cause I think they will...

However, then I though about it and came to the following possible conclusion...

** IF some of the rumors indicate the tablet will REQUIRE a contract will a cellular provider (please for all that is good and holy DON'T let this be true).. but if it is then we'd be talking about a whole different ballgame...

So if the tablet is tied to a carrier then it's a good chance that the table would support both AT&T (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA)... Cause I'd be shocked if Apple made a SOLE CARRIER deal like it did with the initial iPhone. Then if this too is true... then YES I could see Apple possibly making some kind of official announcement about a soon to be release iPhone for Verizon.

But I'll keep praying to the heavens above that the tablet isn't gonna force buyers into either paying an INSANE price or signing up for yet another cellular contract...
  • Reply 19 of 104
    This is why ATT is lowering their rates. They don't want a mass exodus.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Would not surprise me in the least. If the event consisted of:

1) iLife X

2) iWork X

3) iPhone 4.0

4) a new multi-touch link for 1 2 & 3..

---

Encore: iPhone 4th Gen hardware, running on CDMA or GSM.

That would be a more than complete Apple event. People who expect ALL of the above AND the Tablet are about to be so thoroughly disappointed me thinks.