More evidence of 'iPad' name, AT&T bracing for 'unannounced devices'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has extended the time available for it to make a legal argument against Fujitsu over the "iPad" name according to Trademark Office documents, and AT&T may be prepping its network for "unannounced devices."

Evidence points to iPad as possible name

According to US Patent and Trademark Office documents uncovered by The Jesus Tablet blog, Apple has filed several requests asking for additional time to present evidence opposing Fujitsu's "iPad" trademark application. Apple began the process last September, and has continued to ask to have the option open to oppose the name. Apple was granted an extension, giving the company until February 28 to make its case.

Apple's interest in the "iPad" moniker may be simply due to the fact that it closely resembles the iPod name, as Apple is known for diligently protecting its brand. Although Fujitsu had first filed to trademark the name back in 2003, Apple has only recently shown interest, lending credence to the argument that it may indeed be the name of its new tablet device.

Last week, the IPAD name was registered in New Zealand, Australia and Trinidad and Tobago by a company called IP Application Development. Apple was also found to be behind the company Slate Computing in trademarking the name "iSlate." Apple has trademarked other names that could be used for the new device, including "Magic Slate."

AT&T prepping network for "unannounced devices"

AT&T "has apparently been meeting individually with regional executives to inform them of some changes to the AT&T network," sources tell Boy Genius Report.

"They seem to be focused on prepping the network to compensate for unannounced devices and also future devices that will use heavy data."

Yesterday, it was reported that one analyst believes AT&T will need to increase its investment in wireless infrastructure by $5 billion in order to equal Verizon's levels of coverage and reliability.

Boy Genius Report has a respectable track record in forecasting AT&T and iPhone related announcements, but some of its Apple rumors have been less than accurate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    this exactly doesn't mean the name will be iPad, as they trademarked many other potential names, too. And protecting themselves against Fujitsu is just to protect the "latest creaton" whatever it'll be called.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    I was lambasted in an older thread for mocking the name "iPad," but I still think it sucks. iPad sounds too much like a SNL sketch about a new Apple product, i.e. a generic "Apple-like name."

Introducing the "iPaper" to be used with the new "iPencil." Heheha. Look! Steve Jobs wears all black! ROFL!

Lame.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iTampon does have a ring to it.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    I don't care what they call this thing, if it's tied to a cell network that you need to pay more for (on top of the cell phone charges) it will fail. They can't possibly be that stupid though can they?
  • Reply 5 of 71
    Such a silly name. Why even go with anything iWhatever? However on the flip side, MacPad does sound bad as well...
  • Reply 6 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I don't care what they call this thing, if it's tied to a cell network that you need to pay more for (on top of the cell phone charges) it will fail. They can't possibly be that stupid though can they?

This will happen - if it does have 3G - if you go with a contract you'll be buying a subsidized model. In other words if that does happen the open model will cost around $1,499.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    iPad sounds too much like iPod, and it isn't a particularly good name. They should just call it iTablet or Apple Tablet. Keep it simple like the most popular Apple device: the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This will happen - if it does have 3G - if you go with a contract you'll be buying a subsidized model. In other words if that does happen the open model will cost around $1,499.

They gotta do better than that... If thats what they do this thing will be like the ATV in terms of sales and adoption.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

the open model will cost around $1,499.

That is insane for their latest creation. $899 is the max or it fails to attract the mass audience they expected. A higher price will still get its share of buyers, but not the mass they wanted.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:

In other words, you want something for free.

Where did this sense of "connectivity entitlement" begin? Is this strictly a U.S. thing? People think they should be able to get Wi-Fi for free, get media/information content online for free, and now access 3G service for free?

This isn't the early-2000's. The business model has changed. Why do you think Google all of a sudden feels the need to sell tangible things? We went through the rise of tech and learned that, in the end, your company must actuall sell something to make money.

If "you need to pay more... it will fail." Give me a freaking break.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andruby View Post

iPad sounds too much like iPod, and it isn't a particularly good name. They should just call it iTablet or Apple Tablet. Keep it simple like the most popular Apple device: the iPhone.

Agreed, iPad is way too similar to iPod. There's no way iPad got serious consideration (at Apple anyway; I wouldn't put it past Microsoft).

Apple should bring back either the iBook or eMate names.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

"They seem to be focused on prepping the network to compensate for unannounced devices and also future devices that will use heavy data."

You mean AT&T finally giving us tethering?!

Seriously, AT&T need to give us what they promised before they start preparing for anything else.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Where did this sense of "connectivity entitlement" begin?.

Probably in the 1920's with free broadcast radio.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

In other words, you want something for free.

Where did this sense of "connectivity entitlement" begin? Is this strictly a U.S. thing? People think they should be able to get Wi-Fi for free, get media/information content online for free, and now access 3G service for free?

This isn't the early-2000's. The business model has changed. Why do you think Google all of a sudden feels the need to sell tangible things? We went through the rise of tech and learned that, in the end, your company must actuall sell something to make money.

If "you need to pay more... it will fail." Give me a freaking break.

No jerk off, I don't want it to be tied to a cell network.

**Edit****

And you're kidding about google having to sell something tangible to make money, right? You do know how they make their money don't you?
  • Reply 15 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

this exactly doesn't mean the name will be iPad, as they trademarked many other potential names, too. And protecting themselves against Fujitsu is just to protect the "latest creaton" whatever it'll be called.

exactly. they may just want to avoid any confusion.

also I can't recall any Fujitsu ipad ever being released. if that is the case then they have a very week trademark claim. use is a factor. if they aren't using the name then this is a near repeat of the whole Cisco iphone fun.

as to the ATT thing, that they have to brace for anything is a factor in my hope that any cellular on this device is not locked to ATT, hopefully both GSM and CDMA and optional. if I have to sign up for a data line with ATT to get this pad/slate/tablet I and probably 1000s of others aren't going to be too happy
  • Reply 16 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    iPad is just to protect the iPod name. I doubt apple would launch something that would cause confusion between the two devices. iSlate will be sold with a 2 year ATT countract in order to subsidize it and make it at least somewhat affordable.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

iSlate will be sold with a 2 year ATT countract in order to subsidize it and make it at least somewhat affordable.

which could prove to be a serious mistake. in a couple of different ways

1. tying to one carrier. after all how many customers does ATT have, how many does t-mobile have, verizon, sprint. this device has the potential to be the gateway for a lot of folks into

Apple and their world of wonder. why would the company limit themselves only to one part of that group. particularly when they don't need the R&D from an exclusive deal anymore

2. requiring a contract at all. most carriers make you pay more for tethered data or make you add a second data line. if you force that on folks many will not be happy and will walk away. Not everyone has the need for cell data, wifi is fine. be it wifi in their home, at the starbucks with their overpriced coffee or via a deal like ATT's free wifi with your smart phone data plan or ATT home service etc.

if they make this device with unlocked, multi band, optional cell data (and wifi) they have a bigger potential market. as will the content providers that will possibly be giving Apple a chunk of the change
  • Reply 18 of 71
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I think they are just jerking everyone's chain to make them look foolish on the 27th. How about iMac&cheese
  • Reply 19 of 71
    The iPad will be between 10 and 11 inches and go on sale in Q1 while the larger iSlate will be go on sale in Q2 after durability and battery life issues have been resolved.

You heard it here first... Time will tell.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:

I don't understand you, guys... why do you think the tablet would be subsidized??? it's not expected to be a big-screen iPhone, it's much more likely to serve as a "super-iPod Touch" that you can't buy with contract, evenif you can be connected to the internet via wifi. So, why should we need 3G network for that? if the iPod Touch sells great with wifi...