Apple sees tablet as one device shared by the whole family - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Brilliant... little Jimmie picks up the tablet and it automatically has his Power Rangers game and Nickelodeon website links right on the main menu. Dad picks up the tablet and "wosh"... 3D transition effect to show his stock quotes... etc. Leave it to Apple to think of using facial recognition to facilitate fast user switching.

Ooh! That sounds cool. Too bad everyone would be fighting over it!

Although the sharing aspect of it seems somewhat contradictory to the "curl up with a book" interaction that we've been hearing about. How do you market a product as both intimate and public? Do I throw it in my bag, or leave it on the kitchen counter? I suppose I currently do both with the newspaper. And will Apple provide a satisfactory way of cleaning the device, given that so many people will use it in the restroom?

Hmm. All will be answered in one week.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like Apple might have just re-imagined the family room.

I think that how it's going to be linked to @TV, iPhone, and home computers is going to blow away all expectations and speculation of what its functionality is all about. We may all have been only describing discrete pieces of it, sort of similar to the "Blind Men and the Elephant" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant).

I am now beginning to think that this could be massively envelope-pushing.

And, it will be called iSlate or Mac Touch (the latter, called by Ireland). Not iPad.

Seems to me Apple just re-imagined Simplify Media and turned on the copy machine with their new farm.

They may have well re-imagined Netflix, XBox, and the many other devices that allow a heck of a lot for than what is proposed in this article.

It sounds like Apple is selling the Farm, hoping people will bite the forbidden fruit (plus Apple Tax).
  • Reply 23 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Seems to me Apple just re-imagined Simplify Media and turned on the copy machine with their new farm.

They may have well re-imagined Netflix, XBox, and the many other devices that allow a heck of a lot for than what is proposed in this article.

It sounds like Apple is selling the Farm, hoping people will bite the forbidden fruit (plus Apple Tax).

You know, people are mostly talking about the tablet, not just the streaming iTunes thing.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

That's not bonkers- I've seen it before myself. You criticize Apple on here - you're censored.

This is no democracy.

Oh, bullshit, they banned you because you're a fucking stupid asshole. I hope they do it again, and soon. Deal with it.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Looks like Apple might have just re-imagined the family room.

I think that how it's going to be linked to @TV, iPhone, and home computers is going to blow away all expectations and speculation of what its functionality is all about. We may all have been only describing discrete pieces of it, sort of similar to the "Blind Men and the Elephant" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant).

I am now beginning to think that this could be massively envelope-pushing.

And, it will be called iSlate or Mac Touch (the latter, called by Ireland). Not iPad.

Why I would love it to be called the "MacTouch", it would seem the rumors are that it might very well turn out to be iPad.

I can live with iPad because it is way better imo than iSlate. iSlate is just dumb.

The iPad makes sense. It reminds me of the Star Trek "PADD" devices from the TNG and later shows.

Do you guys realize that this device will actually be more powerful than the Star Trek PADDs?
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know, people are mostly talking about the tablet, not just the streaming iTunes thing.

No. This article is about Streaming Free Music from Apple. Are you sure your in the right forum?
  • Reply 27 of 124
    I keep saying it, and I'll say it again.

This will be HUGE.
  • Reply 28 of 124
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    honestly, i'm an apple fanboy, but this thing just sounds like a way to make me pay $1000 for the privilege of PAYING for what i can get FREE.

i don't pay to visit news websites [and when they start charging i'll go to those that don't]. i don't pay to watch network tv. i pay 19 bucks a month for unlimited video rentals, not 4 bucks a movie. i'm not subscribing to magazines on a tablet, i'm not repurchasing all of the music i've bought in the last 33 years so it can all sit in apple's cloud.

i don't know how this thing is going to succeed.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:

The only one I've been in for about a month. AI always deletes negative postings.

Where the heck do you think every posting Tech Stud ever made went to...

Apple's Island of Misfit toys?

Then why are your multiple postings saying pretty much what you're saying here still on the streaming iTunes thread? Why are there, at this moment, literally thousands of posts taking Apple to task for various kinds of failings? People get banned for a variety of reasons, but "saying bad stuff about Apple" isn't one of them. "Saying bad stuff about Apple" while being an insufferable prick and spamming half the threads on the board with irrelevant or incoherent snark is.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Why I would love it to be called the "MacTouch", it would seem the rumors are that it might very well turn out to be iPad.

I can live with iPad because it is way better imo than iSlate. iSlate is just dumb.

The iPad makes sense. It reminds me of the Star Trek "PADD" devices from the TNG and later shows.

Do you guys realize that this device will actually be more powerful than the Star Trek PADDs?

It will look better than a maxi-Pad.

iSlate denotes something very primative- it must not have worked very well in focus groups.

iPad makes more sense because of the whole pad of paper connection.

I agree with the posters who state it shoud be called something off the wall like a Kindle or a Zune or a Cube.

Personally I prefer the iParallelogram.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

honestly, i'm an apple fanboy, but this thing just sounds like a way to make me pay $1000 for the privilege of PAYING for what i can get FREE.

i don't pay to visit news websites [and when they start charging i'll go to those that don't]. i don't pay to watch network tv. i pay 19 bucks a month for unlimited video rentals, not 4 bucks a movie. i'm not subscribing to magazines on a tablet, i'm not repurchasing all of the music i've bought in the last 33 years so it can all sit in apple's cloud.

i don't know how this thing is going to succeed.

I agree- and only purchase from APples iTunes? That's what killed the ATV.

All this time we wanted a small formed Mac and get a large formed Touch instead?
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, bullshit, they banned you because you're a fucking stupid asshole. I hope they do it again, and soon. Deal with it.

OMG- I'm appalled! Why is this permitted I ask you?
  • Reply 33 of 124
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The face identification/sharing stuff sounds like total BS to me. You have to remember that even the rumours that turn out to be true, are true stories told through a sort of fuzzy filter. Like the person who had the info was right, but the interpretation of what they were told is off-base. It even says in the story that it's "unclear if these features will be included at launch."

For starters, face recognition software just isn't that good. It works, it works pretty good, but it is no where near 100% outside of sci-fi movies and cop dramas. Everyone always talks about voice control also, but it's neither of these techs are really useful until they works 100% of the time and that last 20% always seems impossible.

Additionaly, the idea of sharing a device like this makes it sound like the purpose of the device is media consumption only. That's great, but completely at odds with the sort of traveling journal or writing pad, or netbook replacement of last weeks rumours. Not many people *share* devices, despite the story of the man above who shares his iPod with his wife. Even if they do share devices, who would do any writing on the thing if half the time your partner or your kid is going to be using it? I know many more couples that have no idea what is on their partners computer, than I do couples that share a single computer.

It just sounds ridiculous to me and I hope they are dead wrong about it. I want a netbook replacement type computer that I can use to create things, not a passive shared, robotic television/book/magazine.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    ...and a pony. It should definitely come with a pony.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    another use for the "faces" feature in iPhoto; recognize who is using the (as yet unconfirmed) tablet, and voila! family members sharing a single (as yet unconfirmed) device.....
  • Reply 36 of 124
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

The event is tomorrow. Tell me if I'm wrong tomorrow when everyone has the update for now it's another Steve Jobs hype story.

Tomorrow is the 21st. The event is next week.

(No doubt you'll be wrong about SOMETHING tomorrow, though, if it makes you feel better)
  • Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:

Do you have a family? (No need to yell, y'know...)

You've been here since 2006. You should have run across my posts where I decided to be particularly excited in my expression.

Oh, there are times when yelling is quite, quite necessary. And as we near the devices final reveal your going to be seeing more yelling....especially on the day of the reveal!
  • Reply 38 of 124
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Then you are the foolish one. Continue to drink the Kool Aid and believe all the rumors posted here. You will never have Flash on the iPhone, MaxIPad or any other device that Apple puts out as long as Steve Jobs is CEO. The event is tomorrow. Tell me if I'm wrong tomorrow when everyone has the update for now it's another Steve Jobs hype story.

How could one person be so uninformed and yet proclaim to be the keeper of all knowledge?

"You will never have Flash on the iPhone"

You somehow think this is a BAD thing....

"The event is tomorrow."

What event? The one where they take you away for 'health reasons'.?
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

...and a pony. It should definitely come with a pony.

On the 27th Steve Jobs will ride out on stage on a white unicorn while trumpeters proclaim his entrance. And on each arm will rest two mighty iTablet computers.

Upon seeing this incredible sight tech geeks in the crowd will scream while others faint.

Steve Ballmer, who was invited to the show, looks at the tablets and becomes so devastated that he spontaneously bursts into flames!
  • Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

On the 27th Steve Jobs will ride out on stage on a white unicorn while trumpeters proclaim his entrance. And on each arm will rest two mighty iTablet computers.

Upon seeing this incredible sight tech geeks in the crowd will scream while others faint.

Steve Ballmer, who was invited to the show, looks at the tablets and becomes so devastated that he spontaneously bursts into flames!

White unicorn with a black turtleneck?