Apple sees tablet as one device shared by the whole family - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Then you are the foolish one. Continue to drink the Kool Aid and believe all the rumors posted here.

You will never have Flash on the iPhone, MaxIPad or any other device that Apple puts out as long as Steve Jobs is CEO.

The event is tomorrow. Tell me if I'm wrong tomorrow when everyone has the update for now it's another Steve Jobs hype story.

It's tomorrow now, and you're wrong. You can't even get the date of the event right. Use your brain much?
  • Reply 62 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Well not in our family. We share everything. We swap cars (both have memory buttons for seats etc) we share the Macbook, our PC (when I'm forced to as my wife is on the Macbook), I steal her iPod Touch when I want to play games....

Why don't I get just two of everything? Well money of course. Most single earner families do not have the income to purchase his and her computers. The tablet will undoubtedly be expensive and again if a household is to get one then I would imagine many will only buy one. Having a GUI designed around the ability for multiple users to share will be a godsend.

I though OSX's ability to switch users on the fly was great after XP's awful experience so I will be very interested in the tablet's ability.

I can't afford two (or more) of everything and I want my children to learn to share, but I don't let them near my computer. Instead of one buying the iMac I wanted I got two refurbished Mac minis: one for the grown ups and one for the kids. Same cost, a lot less trouble.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    Quote:

You will never have Flash on the iPhone, MaxIPad or any other device that Apple puts out as long as Steve Jobs is CEO.

Great! Flash sucks.

Like many others here I use ClicktoFlash to prevent Flash content from loading unless I choose to load it.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    Quote:

Then you are the foolish one. Continue to drink the Kool Aid...

You know, the whole Kool Aid thing got boring about six years ago. Can't you trolls find new words and phrases? Us Mac users have the built-in thesaurus to help, of course.

Quote:

...and believe all the rumors posted here.

This is a rumours website - what do you expect to be posted here, other than your trolling?

Quote:

Good. I block it for a reason, you know.

Quote:

The event is tomorrow. Tell me if I'm wrong tomorrow when everyone has the update for now it's another Steve Jobs hype story.

The event is not tomorrow. Do you know what week you're in?
  • Reply 65 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthompson3232 View Post

And those that say the kindle is better for reading because it is black and white, well...who's to say that you won't be able to read in black and white on the iPad? I would venture a guess and say that black and white will be an option for those who prefer it for certain features on the iPad.

It's not just because it's black and white, but because it needs no backlighting and only draws power to change the contents of the screen, thus the battery lasts for weeks and your eyes don't get tired.

even if the Apple device has a black-and-white mode for reading, it would probably still need a backlight and thus would need recharging after a few hours.

I doubt the device will feature some sort of hybrid display technology.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Fittingly experimenting with the thesaurus attribute. It's still done via dictionary I see...

Anyway, people are WAY too excited over the tablet. I don't remember the same amount of insanity back in the day when the iPhone was about to be announced. Perhaps it's the sign of Apple gaining mindshare, with all the good and the bad stuff it brings.

But back the the subject at hand, all these features are purely software. Nothing that couldn't be done on any other device. What I would like to see is some hardware innovation too. Like that tactile feedback keyboard that places dots or ridges on the touchscreen. Probably not gonna happen but it did sound like a very cool and modern feature. Think vibrating taken to the next level in games, for instance...
  • Reply 67 of 124
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Boy, 13 years ago it was the other way around. Funny how things change. Although, I think MS still has enough money to not need Apple the way Apple needed MS back then.

Perhaps this is what Bing needs, is a little touch of genius from Apple. Apple wouldn't need to make a new search engine, they could just fix what MS can't figure out: ease of use and relevancy. MS could handle the popularity (they are already marketing it and jam it down everyone with IE 8's throats), Apple to handle the backend and smarts. Competition is good for everyone.

...and were Apple to go with Bling by default, some headlines might read... 'Microsoft yet again saves Apple!'

'These were indeed dark days at Apple. Having been forced to drop the word Computer from the corporate name in recognition of the fact that only 5 - 10% (?) of the world's computers were produced by the company, Apple needed a new identity. Desperate to be freed of the G word sitting in the top right-hand corner of its home-grown browser, Steven Jobs turned to his long-time saviour, Steven Ballmer of Microsoft.

Ballmer graciously allowed SJ to replace that much respected but feared link with Microsoft's own
    Bing. Apple was saved and free now to introduce another new product, which as we now have learned, was named the MicrosoftlyIamTouched in honour of Ballmer's graciousness.'

Breath deep, breath easy. \
  • Reply 68 of 124
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

I agree- and only purchase from APples iTunes? That's what killed the ATV.

All this time we wanted a small formed Mac and get a large formed Touch instead?

It's hard enough you can't watch tv on the iPhone for free from websites. I certainly hope it's NOT $999 plus locked into iTunes only and that you can still go to sites that stream tv the next day so you can do things like watch an episode or something in bed and not have to pay for what should be free.
  • Reply 69 of 124
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has reportedly pitched the tablet as a device that can be shared amongst family members and used for reading news and checking e-mail.

So, new level of news aggregation is in the doorway. Well, why anyway is the meaningful message (not spam) from The Christian Science Monitor less welcome than buddy's chirping note?

Quote:

"The person said that Apple has experimented with the ability to leave virtual sticky notes on the device and for the gadget to automatically recognize individuals via a built-in camera," the report said. "It's unclear whether these features will be included at launch."

The facial recognition technology is with us already since some late iPhoto. Nothing unfeasible; rather believe it.

Quote:

Game maker Electronic Arts is working with Apple on software to demonstrate the game-playing capabilities of the tablet.

Well, "demonstrate" still doesn't sound like "prove viability". Believe it when I see the good ergonomics of game controller.

Quote:

In addition, the report shed more light on Apple's alleged plans to create a cloud-based iTunes service. Called iTunes.com, the service would allow customers to buy music without using the iTunes software. Apple reportedly wants to populate Web sites with "buy" buttons to make it even easier to purchase iTunes content. The Journal was told that Apple intends to launch the service by June.

Yeah. Speculations are in the winds, they're gonna share single track instance amongst the crowd, bearing tokens, which allow access to that, just like LaLa does. I was guessing iPhone might eventually launch revolution, now Steve seems being about to create communism in the States.

Hopefully, this will enrich the variety of the music....
  • Reply 70 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I just don't see this thing being a device you share with the family. Even if Apple intends it to be. We no longer live in the age of the family computer. We now live in the age of personal computers for everyone. Especially when we're talking about portable devices.

Maybe it makes more sense, if one does not see the tablet as an Computer but more as a form as book/newspaper, etc. that lies around in the living room for every familymember to use.

What do you think ?
  • Reply 71 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I know I'm late to this party but...

BULLSH*T!!!

This Wall Street Journal article just stinks of the publisher Murdock and his desire to pull his content off Google in favor of the cash from Microsoft and Bing.

Newpapers are dying and only 10% of people polled online are willing to pay for content.

Even the New York Times is talking about going behind a paywall, they recently got a lifeline from that whale of a rich guy from Mexico, owns cell phones networks or something. Forget what.

FINALLY! Someone else who can see the light... I originally watched the video posted on 9to5Mac's site and I had a similar response - anything related to Murdoch and his sleazy "news" empire stinks - sadly he's pulled the WSJ down to his Fox level. Very sad. What's most scary is that so few people on these forums have noticed.
  • Reply 72 of 124
    Quote:

the report said. "It's unclear whether these features will be included at launch."

In other words, "if we get this all wrong, and these features don't appear, then we have covered our a***'s."

Or, "these features are what we believe would be good on such a device, should one be launched by Apple. However whether Apple developers read our article and actually implement them now, remains unclear"
  • Reply 73 of 124
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Brilliant... little Jimmie picks up the tablet and it automatically has his Power Rangers game and Nickelodeon website links right on the main menu. Dad picks up the tablet and "wosh"... 3D transition effect to show his stock quotes... etc. Leave it to Apple to think of using facial recognition to facilitate fast user switching.

It'll be great when Jimmy figures out how to print a picture of his dad and hold it in front of the device to mess around with his stocks. =)
  • Reply 74 of 124
    Quote:

Seems to me Apple just re-imagined Simplify Media and turned on the copy machine with their new farm.

They may have well re-imagined Netflix, XBox, and the many other devices that allow a heck of a lot for than what is proposed in this article.

It sounds like Apple is selling the Farm, hoping people will bite the forbidden fruit (plus Apple Tax).

Yes they are betting the farm and if they stumble here it will be bad. But Apple is not so much about creating new technologies as it is about packaging existing technology in extremely user-friendly and useful ways. That has always been what they have been about from the Apple I to the iMac to the iPod and iTunes Store and App Store and iPhone and now hopefully the tablet. The result has not been eradication of "industries" but they sure have wrought sea changes and I personally can't wait until Wednesday. If they stumble and don't get the tablet metaphor right, someone else will. It is a device who's time has come. The user interface is so critical - which is why everyone else is holding back release of a tablet until Apple announces theirs. It is almost funny and shows the respect Apple has among PC manufacturers.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I wonder if this is a circuitous way of preparing the public for a higher-cost product than has been hoped for - $999 per person is nuts, but $999 for the "family" might be more marketable...

That's my thought and if so, I'm a little disappointed. On the plus side, in time the device is likely to come down in price, at which point I'll consider it. The thing is, as cool as this device seems, I'd still rather have a laptop at that price point. Clearly if $1000 is the price point, this device will in no way be a response to netbooks.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Brilliant... little Jimmie picks up the tablet and it automatically has his World of Warcraft game and haxx0r website links right on the main menu. Dad picks up the tablet and "wosh"... 3D transition effect to show his pr0n... etc. Leave it to Apple to think of using facial recognition to facilitate fast user switching.

(updated for realism, scnr )
  • Reply 77 of 124
    Awesome, a $1000 sticky note, keyboard, and game machine... count me in!

I'd love to see a family of 4 with 2 kids share the game machine
  • Reply 78 of 124
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    With the slate form-factor it could replace a lot of board games. Chess, checkers, Scrabble, Monopoly; just pull out your iSlate, put it in the middle of the table and you have a game that everyone can crowd round. Large games would have to crowd quite tightly round a 10" screen, but put a couple of iSlates side-by-side and Bonjour networking sorts out the rest with the board expanded across both screens. Add another, and another, and another, and soon you'll have a complete landscape for war games.

Could be a good aid for DMing a tabletop RPG too...
  • Reply 79 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, why stop there? Jimmy knows where Daddy keeps his guns and goes and gets the Glock and blows Daddy's head off, then Mommy goes insane and burns the house down.

Happy now, Apple, you rat bastards?

Funny as hell. Don't forget that someone will sue Apple for with coming up with the "pad" concept in the first place that precipitated mass murder.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Quote:

Seems to me Apple just re-imagined Simplify Media and turned on the copy machine with their new farm.

They may have well re-imagined Netflix, XBox, and the many other devices that allow a heck of a lot for than what is proposed in this article.

It sounds like Apple is selling the Farm, hoping people will bite the forbidden fruit (plus Apple Tax).

Follow their patents before you continue to dig a hole.