More evidence of 'iPad' name, AT&T bracing for 'unannounced devices'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

In other words, you want something for free.

Where did this sense of "connectivity entitlement" begin? Is this strictly a U.S. thing? People think they should be able to get Wi-Fi for free, get media/information content online for free, and now access 3G service for free?

This isn't the early-2000's. The business model has changed. Why do you think Google all of a sudden feels the need to sell tangible things? We went through the rise of tech and learned that, in the end, your company must actuall sell something to make money.

If "you need to pay more... it will fail." Give me a freaking break.

Who said it should be free? Maybe people just don't want (need) 3G and are just interested in this device to use it on their own or public wifi networks.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I don't care what they call this thing, if it's tied to a cell network that you need to pay more for (on top of the cell phone charges) it will fail. They can't possibly be that stupid though can they?

I think what will happen is that you will have a choice. Either you can get the device subsidized from either AT&T or Verizon. Or you can get the device at the unsubsidized full price of ($whatever) which you can use with wifi and perhaps the ability to choose later a carrier to go with.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    name for the tablet...all Apple gadgets would then start with "IP" (iPhone, iPod, and iPad). IP obviously stands for intellectual property and Apple has a heck of a lot of IP with all these devices.

Also, as for the invitation to the event next week, it seems to me that the various colors on the invite suggest that there is "something for everyone" (ie. a color for everyone's taste). This could refer to the tablet having something for the entire family.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iTampon does have a ring to it.

I mentioned that in another thread - in the UK pad equates to tampon. The Senseo coffee maker people initially marketed coffee "pads", but changed the name to" pods" when they realized that associating tampons with delicious coffee was not going to work. I think Apple has the same problem.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    iCanvas

iPalette or maybe iPal for short.

Now I like that. Sounds like my friend. iPal ... or wait may myPal.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I mentioned that in another thread - in the UK pad equates to tampon.

No it doesn't, why do people keep making this association? In the UK, fanny pad equates to sanitary towel - a tampon is an insert and doesn't even come close to that. Pad on it's own has no such association as it's too generic. If you had a Pukka Pad:

http://www.pukka-pads.co.uk/

you'd say casually, hand me your pad so I can write on it. A girl wouldn't get confused and reach into her pants. Few popular feminine hygiene products even use the word pad, it's always towel or towelette. Check it out:

http://www.bodyform.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DX5Z7...SIN=B001DX5Z7G

iPad is a good name and any crude association is forced.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No it doesn't, why do people keep making this association? In the UK, fanny pad equates to sanitary towel - a tampon is an insert and doesn't even come close to that. Pad on it's own has no such association as it's too generic. If you had a Pukka Pad:

you'd say casually, hand me your pad so I can write on it. A girl wouldn't get confused and reach into her pants. Few popular feminine hygiene products even use the word pad, it's always towel or towelette. Check it out:

Actually, in Canada a pad is the term quite often used for a sanitary napkin and on that basis alone I would not call the "new apple device " that.

If you recall, iMac was used because of it's ability to easily surf the net .... hence the small "i". With that in mind, how about a cMac ... a device that is compact, can be used for computing in the cloud. That's my suggestion. Come see the new cMac.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    iPoke? Erm, nah - sounds like a good way to blind yourself.

iSleek? - Too corporate sounding.

iFlint? WILMA!

iCan'tthinkofanythingbetterthanislate

I still think iProd is funny as hell - they should go with that.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I have to admit hype is damn costly thing.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    and it evens soaks up spills?

Let's hope Apple has big shoulders. If they call it iPad, it WILL be the laughing stock of

the late night wars.

This could be just what Jay Leno needs to get back his late night crowd.

YES, this will give Apple a ton of press, but is funny press always a good thing?

I'm telling, say it to yourself over and over, it has a great ring to it:

ablet, ablet, ablet

Skip

"Apple announce the long awaited "ablet" today, and folks lined up to be one of the first to get the "ablet".
  • Reply 51 of 71
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    How come Apple doesn't do the "let the public name it" thing?

Funness
  • Reply 52 of 71
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Actually, in Canada a pad is the term quite often used for a sanitary napkin and on that basis alone I would not call the "new apple device " that.

Yeah maybe it was Canada I was thinking of instead of UK. I knew it was some foreign pseudo english speaking place.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I mentioned that in another thread - in the UK pad equates to tampon. The Senseo coffee maker people initially marketed coffee "pads", but changed the name to" pods" when they realized that associating tampons with delicious coffee was not going to work. I think Apple has the same problem.

Uh, they did that when they realized that "Pods" have been a standard in the coffee business since the 1940s.......
  • Reply 54 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I'm sorry Marvin but iPad is not at all a good name, and I don't know about the UK, but the US absolutely will associate this with a MaxiPad. Main reason? It's commonly called a PAD here. Short for, typicall Max iPad.....

Don't you know any women? Just ask them
  • Reply 55 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andruby View Post

iPad sounds too much like iPod, and it isn't a particularly good name. They should just call it iTablet or Apple Tablet. Keep it simple like the most popular Apple device: the iPhone.

I agree. Although,  Tablet is my second choice.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That is insane for their latest creation.

Ok, so maybe not $1,499. But if it's the product I imagine it will be a revolutionary 10" touchscreen Mac computer. The plane Jane MacBook is $999. Although a smaller screen this will be a step up from that in every way. And if it has 3G there very may well be a carrier subsidized model. For cutting edge $999 sounds like a price Apple would put on it, for the subsidized one. At which point they have to charge a premium for the non-subsidized one.

If you want lower I'll give you $799 subsidized, $1,299 non-subsidized. I would expect it to be more coming from Apple though. They like to price there stuff so it seems out of reach. They like to milk the early adopters too.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry to bring up he-who-shall-not-be-named: In all fairness, Techstud was the first to call it iPad (and I railed against it).

Rest assured it will not be called that. It sounds awful, they are only protecting their iPod brand.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

How come Apple doesn't do the "let the public name it" thing?

After seeing all this talk about iPad it seems obvious to be the public doesn't not jack shit about names. It's nearly as bad as iSlate, though not quite.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not exclusively though. The word 'pad' is commonly used for other things and not immediately associated with feminine products. It heavily depends on the context.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz

the US absolutely will associate this with a MaxiPad

Desperate comedians in the US perhaps but the 'i' in iPad is like the 'i' in thigh, whereas the 'i' in Maxi Pad is like the 'i' in taxi so they don't even sound the same. It's also two separate words Maxi Pad and they have Ultra Thin Pad. This again goes back to the generality of the word 'pad'.

Google the word 'pad' and tell me what page refers to feminine hygiene with safe search off. I got to page 20 and gave up. The closest I came was the Pish Pad:

http://www.pishpad.com/

which Apple's product may well be if it just runs the iphone OS. But the point is if this association was so common, don't you think Google of all places would have picked up on it with its relevancy algorithms?

Wikipedia lists a number of things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad

Bachelor Pad is an important one and is often referred to as pad on its own. Are you coming back to my pad? A device for the home - iPad is in my pad. What controls all the media in your pad? The iPad of course.

Yeah it's going to be called iPad and people will try to make fun of it with sketches of a girl with a 10" slate in her pants but the jokes will wear thin in about a week or two because it's not all that funny - it's too obvious - and there's no depth to the joke, it just vaguely sounds like it could be the name of a feminine product.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:

Not exclusively though. The word 'pad' is commonly used for other things and not immediately associated with feminine products.

You're mostly wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18